Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Wolverine's Faceoff Hockey Announced

Details are sketchy at this point, but it looks like we have a relatively new hockey text sim to begin following (hxxp://www.wolverinestudios.com/news/foh090908.html). Anyone know anything about Rick Cole?

Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

I did some searching and it looks like .400 Studios did a release of this game in 2003. Very hard to find much of anything on it, but it is up on metacritic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

was this the "season replay only, no career sim" one?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Operation Sports - FaceOff Hockey Comes To Wolverine Studios
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not to dig on wolverine, in fact consider this somewhat of a compliment, but is there a sport wolverine won't create a sim for?

as a gamer, i enjoy it!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

i was right. curious to see if this will be single-season replay only, or will have progression.

i'd imagine sales of the latter would do better than those of the former
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

triple-dola

if MFFF had kept his nose out this would be a quad-dola
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I thought I recognized the programmer's name from somewhere.

Scroll down the list just a couple of names.
Medley Games - The Medley Crew

And here's a review of the 2004 version
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/to...ey/review.html

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I'll reserve judgement until the product is released but I find it VERY hard to believe that an updated version of FaceOff Hockey will provide a better gaming experience than the last version of EHM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

We're basically taking the game on "as-is" and Rick is developing a new roster file for it for the 08-09 season and that is what we are going to be selling out of the game. It is a single season only game as it stands now. It is the game that started with .400 and was supposed to be brought back at Medley but I don't really know what happened there. All I know is they decided to go their separate ways and Rick and I started talking and he decided to bring the game to us and felt we could help promote it and move it forward which I think we can. FaceOff actually started as a board/card game that has been around for a very long time that has a very loyal fanbase and we hope to be able to generate that kind of interest with the PC version. If you are a board/card game player we're also going to be continuing on with that version of the game as well.

We are actively searching for a programmer for the series who can help us take it to a career orientated sim. The good news is that the game has a rock solid statistical engine - we already have components for the career side of things with our other games so its really a process of merging the two together to create a great career hockey sim. If you are a programmer and are interested in talking about taking on the role of lead developer for the game feel free to email or IM me.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Gary - can we expect "Wolverine Studios: Curling" soon?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Info link on the site is borked. Even the page for DDS: PF is rather sparse.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
samifan24
Pro Starter

While I understand that the Wolverine people need a new programmer to essentially "build on the existing game foundation," it is nonetheless disappointing to find a game limited to single season replay only in this day and age.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
it is nonetheless disappointing to find a game limited to single season replay only in this day and age.

While I'm not what you'd call optimistic about this particular game, the single season replay really isn't all that odd when you consider the origins of FaceOff.

It was (and still is) a single season reply game for the tabletop. The previous attempts at converting it to the pc, and apparently the next try now too, are (as far as I can tell) essentially just a computer conversion of the tabletop game. And that genre is still pretty dominated by the single season or "replay" gamers as opposed to the "career" gamers.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I played the heck out of the tabletop FaceOff back in the day. Even made up player cards for myself and my friends, then drafted a league.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
samifan24
Pro Starter

[quote=JonInMiddleGA;1828516 It was (and still is) a single season reply game for the tabletop. The previous attempts at converting it to the pc, and apparently the next try now too, are (as far as I can tell) essentially just a computer conversion of the tabletop game. And that genre is still pretty dominated by the single season or "replay" gamers as opposed to the "career" gamers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Capital
High School Varsity

I'm glad to see a hockey game in the works...even if I have to wait until next season for a career sim. Other than EMH2007 - just couldn't get into FM's interface - but that's been beaten to death.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While I'm not what you'd call optimistic about this particular game, the single season replay really isn't all that odd when you consider the origins of FaceOff.

It was (and still is) a single season reply game for the tabletop. The previous attempts at converting it to the pc, and apparently the next try now too, are (as far as I can tell) essentially just a computer conversion of the tabletop game. And that genre is still pretty dominated by the single season or "replay" gamers as opposed to the "career" gamers.

Well you are correct - for those that don't know FOH has a very long (decades) history of being a top notch tabletop game and it has guys that have been playing in leagues for 20+ years. When the game was converted to a PC game for .400 it was (and still is) a computerized way to play the tabletop game. The PC game has had some minor upgrades to it (like shootouts) but we are working with what we have and right now that's a single season replay sim.

There's a small but extremely loyal fan base there and they want their yearly version of the game and that is what we aim to give them. This was somewhat of a hurried process with the time frame from Rick leaving Medley Games but we're going to do the best we can to get it ready for this NHL season. In the discussions I had with Rick the #1 most important thing above anything else was simply keeping the game alive for the people who have invested so many years into the game. From the comments we have seen so far, the loyal FOH fans are extremely happy and hopeful that their favorite game will have a more stable future now than it has recently had.

However the turnoff to the PC game to most people at .400 is a similar one expressed here - the sports games most here generally play are career based games and we do plan on really reworking the game so that not only do you have the option of playing it replay style but also in a full career mode too. I don't know when that will happen - I hope its for next season - but the biggest goal was to at least keep it alive for the people who play it the way it is now. It's a different audience - one that we hope will integrate into our community and get hooked on some of our career based games too. Its the same thing with Music Wars Rebirth (coming very shortly BTW) - totally different game, totally different audience but its going to be a very good game that we just need to get people to give a shot.

Who knows - maybe there's merit in opening up some of our other games to being replay sims as well as career sims. One thing I have found in making the games is that there is always someone who wants one more option.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
not to dig on wolverine, in fact consider this somewhat of a compliment, but is there a sport wolverine won't create a sim for?

as a gamer, i enjoy it!

Nascar/Autoracing...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
Capital
High School Varsity

As someone who played plenty of single-season reply with Strat-O-Matic, I can understand the appeal. I for one have morphed completely into the career aspects of text sims. That being said, your post was well said.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Well you are correct - for those that don't know FOH has a very long (decades) history of being a top notch tabletop game and it has guys that have been playing in leagues for 20+ years. When the game was converted to a PC game for .400 it was (and still is) a computerized way to play the tabletop game. The PC game has had some minor upgrades to it (like shootouts) but we are working with what we have and right now that's a single season replay sim.

There's a small but extremely loyal fan base there and they want their yearly version of the game and that is what we aim to give them. This was somewhat of a hurried process with the time frame from Rick leaving Medley Games but we're going to do the best we can to get it ready for this NHL season. In the discussions I had with Rick the #1 most important thing above anything else was simply keeping the game alive for the people who have invested so many years into the game. From the comments we have seen so far, the loyal FOH fans are extremely happy and hopeful that their favorite game will have a more stable future now than it has recently had.

However the turnoff to the PC game to most people at .400 is a similar one expressed here - the sports games most here generally play are career based games and we do plan on really reworking the game so that not only do you have the option of playing it replay style but also in a full career mode too. I don't know when that will happen - I hope its for next season - but the biggest goal was to at least keep it alive for the people who play it the way it is now. It's a different audience - one that we hope will integrate into our community and get hooked on some of our career based games too. Its the same thing with Music Wars Rebirth (coming very shortly BTW) - totally different game, totally different audience but its going to be a very good game that we just need to get people to give a shot.

Who knows - maybe there's merit in opening up some of our other games to being replay sims as well as career sims. One thing I have found in making the games is that there is always someone who wants one more option.

kudos to you for recognizing the priority of the long-time users of the game and putting that ahead of anything else Gary.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Can you play historical seasons? If so, how many rosters will come with the game?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote