Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2003, 01:56 AM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Car Buying Help

Alright, my Grand Prix was totalled a few weeks ago and I have been in the car market for a few weeks now. I've done a lot of research and a lot of browsing, and I finally brought home a 2001 VW Jetta GLX tonight for what I think to be a good price. However when we were filling out paperwork (I haven't actually purchased the vehicle yet becuase I am taking it to a dealership tomorrow to get it checked out) the salesman told me that he "just found out that VW manufacturer warranties are non-transferrable". This immediately set off a red flag for me and I didnt believe the guy for a second. I have an appointment with the dealership on Monday to finalize everything, make payment, etc and I told them I would consider their extended warranty over the weekend. What I was wondering was this: How can I confirm or deny what the salesperson said about the factory warranty? I've already decided that I will probably purchase an extended warranty from warranty direct, but I still want to know what I am entitled to from the manufacturer. Anybody got any idea on this?

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Can you check the car's owner's manuals?? I don't know about your state, but all used vehicles should be required to have a sticker on the widnow indicating, among other things, whether or not there is any warranty coverage left. If they lie, report them to your state DMV or appropriate agency. Most recent cars should have transferable factory warranties. Are there any other VW dealerships that you can call? I agree with you that the statement should immediately raise a red flag, and you should do whatever you can to verify it before doing ANYTHING else. Used cars salesmen are slimeballs.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

If you are not buying from a Volkswagon dealer, call a dealership and ask. Factory warranties are always transferable. If you find out this guy is lying, I wouldn't buy the car there. There is no telling what else he is lying about. Go somewhere else, and turn this guy in.

By the way, Volkswagon dealers do the "certified pre-owned" deal that comes with extended warranties. I'd check around before you make a big mistake.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Found your answer. Volkswagon basic warranty in the 2001 models was only 2 years and 24,000 miles. The car is more than two years old, therefore out of warranty. It still has a drive-train warranty, though. The powertrain goes 120 months and 100000 miles.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Still, it sounds like to me the Salesman was pushing the extended warranty by making it seem like you was getting no warranty to begin with..

Speaking of new cars/trucks.. the New f150's look pretty sharp
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote