Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2003, 09:59 PM   #101
Thomkal
Head Coach

Still no password after an email was sent this morning.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #102
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
any luck yet dan?
Old 04-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #103
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Just some notes:

Quiksand Fritz and I found a pretty neat place to hunt east of town. But on the hilltop above are some big giants so we have to be careful.

We did ok in the slums too, just avoid the wererats.

Also Fritz and I went into the mines and did pretty good on the first couple of levels.

Slowly but surely we are finding our way around.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:27 PM   #104
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fritz,

No password yet. Maybe they aren't manning the email over the weekend. I'll give them until tomorrow afternoon and then try to post on their forums about it.

Cross your fingers
Old 04-28-2003, 01:02 PM   #105
Thomkal
Head Coach

Still no password and when I try to register for their forums so I can post about it, I get an error. They really must not like me. Perhaps one of you can post about it or send an email and get a response.

The character name I had proposed using was Thomkal (original I know, but I figured I'd be easy to recognize then), and the email address I was using was [email protected].
Old 04-28-2003, 01:04 PM   #106
Daimyo
College Starter

I applied last night and received a password this morning. I don't own the game yet, but I'm going to try to pick it up on the way home from work tonight. Do you guys use FOFC handles for names? If not, how do you find each other?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:11 PM   #107
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
Still no password and when I try to register for their forums so I can post about it, I get an error. They really must not like me. Perhaps one of you can post about it or send an email and get a response.

The character name I had proposed using was Thomkal (original I know, but I figured I'd be easy to recognize then), and the email address I was using was [email protected].

Dan, if no one has helped you by this evening I will send something.

Have you registered with gamespy for an account?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #108
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

dola - congrats Quik on making 6th level.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:57 PM   #109
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

This sounds like fun. Only played a little bit of online RPG's, lost interest for the same reason's Quiksand mentioned. The most fun I had was playing Diablo a few times with friends, and this sounds like it might be similar?

Room for one more? Also, do you think you'll be playing for a few more weeks? I'd have to go get the game.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:09 PM   #110
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fritz,

No I have not registered with gamespy for an account. Didn't realize I needed to do that to play
Old 04-28-2003, 02:19 PM   #111
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
Fritz,

No I have not registered with gamespy for an account. Didn't realize I needed to do that to play

yea, gamespy is the gateway. Just go to MP and it will walk you through it.

Tha application form asked about a gamespy login name. Perhaps this is the holdup.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #112
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
This sounds like fun. Only played a little bit of online RPG's, lost interest for the same reason's Quiksand mentioned. The most fun I had was playing Diablo a few times with friends, and this sounds like it might be similar?

Room for one more? Also, do you think you'll be playing for a few more weeks? I'd have to go get the game.

plenty of room. we just sort of get together with whoever is on. I would not say this like diablo though.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:26 PM   #113
QuikSand
lolzcat

Certainly not an issue with "no room left for new joiners." At most, I have joined with two or three other FOFCers in a party... so the fact that there are eight or ten of us in total doesn't seem to be an issue. Besides, I find this environment to be immersive enough that I've enjoyed joining up with other people as well... and don't feel like I'm wasting time doing so.

Daimyo... I use my FOFC handle there as my first name, just seems simpler to me. Not everyone has, but it hasn't been too tough to remember who's who. Your handle lends itself pretty well, anyway... has a RPG feel to it already.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:56 PM   #114
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Damn, I missed Daim's post in all my chatter.

I use Fritz to be obvious. HFP uses a variation of his name that is obvious enough. Daimyo would work fine, as would Thomkal. In fact, if I were Dan I would grab Daimyo quickly and sell it to the real Daimyo.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:29 PM   #115
Thomkal
Head Coach

Daimyo,

I'll trade you the rights to the Daimyo name in return for your 1st round draft choice in the FOBL.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #116
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dola.

I signed up for Gamespy, went through the multiplayer option on NWN and resent my application to Avlis, this time with Gamespy name. Let's hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #117
Daimyo
College Starter

Dan, I didn't register with gamespy when my application went through... maybe they just lost track of your original one the first time?

I picked up the game today and am installing it now. I'll go to get all the latest patches and try to connect to the server tonight. I think I'm going to need to pick up some experience on my own to try to catch up with you guys

EDIT: I'm thinking of playing either a sorcerer, druid, or monk/sorceror combo. (the 4 hp scares me for starting from 1st with a straight sorcerer.)

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-28-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #118
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Dan, I didn't register with gamespy when my application went through... maybe they just lost track of your original one the first time?

I picked up the game today and am installing it now. I'll go to get all the latest patches and try to connect to the server tonight. I think I'm going to need to pick up some experience on my own to try to catch up with you guys

EDIT: I'm thinking of playing either a sorcerer, druid, or monk/sorceror combo. (the 4 hp scares me for starting from 1st with a straight sorcerer.)

Daim,

you cant MP to start with. If you take the Soc, pick a strong familiar and take moster summoning 1 as one of your spells. Druids can be strong early with the companion and a summoned creature as well.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:48 PM   #119
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sort of Update:

No email with the password yet. But I was able to register finally for the forums using Internet Explorer rather than AOL, and got the activation email for that. So perhaps AOL is the culprit here. (shocker!). I wait and see if I get a response in the morning.

Daimyo,

I'm leaning towards a druid myself at the moment. So let me know if you went/or going with a druid, and I might change to something else.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #120
Daimyo
College Starter

I created a druid and played probably 2.5 hours. Is there a limit to how many exp pts you can get from the fire beetle quest? It stopped giving me experience after 275 pts. I found a much quicker way to get exp though. Each gang member I kill (or I should say each gang member my panther kills) is giving me 23 exp and they roam in packs of 5-6, so it adds up very, very fast, although I'm only up to about 650 right now. Usually they'll just attack me right away, but if they don't I just taunt them.

So far I haven't been able to sell anything for more than 1 gp. Is that normal for regular items, or do different shops give different prices?

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-29-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:43 AM   #121
ACStrider
High School JV

Diamyo - The fire beetle quest maxes at 300 exp, but it's worth the time and effort because you also can get 50 gp for each fire potion (go to the adventurer's guild hall to sell). After that, yeah, the gangs do give you quick exp. In addition, some of them drop copper rings or gold necklasses.

Everyone - My roommate finally got his confirmation, but we were unable to play together, so it looks like if I'm playing, he won't and vice versa (router issues). He's playing as a cleric.

BTW - it would probably be nice to know what everyone's NWN names are...I think I'll start another thread.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:58 AM   #122
QuikSand
lolzcat

Daimyo, when selling items, you may need to shop around a bit. In the marketplace, various sellers are more knowledgeabout about different things... if they don't understand something, they won't pay more than a pittance for it. If you have gems to sell, try Abdul in the northeast corner. If you have armor or weapons, either of the two smiths should be helpful. And, as a fall-back, the adventurer's guild gives a fair price for a variety of things.

I, personally, have always disliked how NWN generally features a wide-open marketplace where players can so easily buy and sell everything they could imagine. I remember back in the PnP days, it was damned tough to be able to get the magic item that actually complemented your skills... at least there's some semblance if that in the Avlis universe, so far.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:12 AM   #123
Daimyo
College Starter

Wow... that is cool. I was so used to every other computer RPG I've played that I just went to the closet dealer to sell my stuff and was receiving 1gp each! I thought that was weird so I tried 3 or 4 others and they were the same. Tonight I'll make it my goal to find the specialties of each merchant.

Where is the adventures guild hall?

This game definately has some promise.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #124
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Wow... that is cool. I was so used to every other computer RPG I've played that I just went to the closet dealer to sell my stuff and was receiving 1gp each! I thought that was weird so I tried 3 or 4 others and they were the same. Tonight I'll make it my goal to find the specialties of each merchant.

Where is the adventures guild hall?

This game definately has some promise.

South Central Market. If you are facing north and looking at the fire beetle boy, the building to the LEFT is the guild. If you buy an adventure pack, do not set it off in the building.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-29-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:22 AM   #125
Daimyo
College Starter

Thansk Fritz. I can't wait to actually go out with you guys... what level should I aspire to first? Is level 3 high enough?
Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 AM   #126
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Thansk Fritz. I can't wait to actually go out with you guys... what level should I aspire to first? Is level 3 high enough?

Quik is an addict is mid 6th. I am less of an addict and am mid 4.

You will be fine at level 2, but you may need to hang back and use missles for a while.

For the greatest development, you will want to get with people that are within 2 levels of you. The CR system for exp will not be as rewarding otherwise.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:22 AM   #127
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Fritz, we were having a bit of trouble last night. I was kicked off and lost my character. You were kicked off and didn't return. Damn, that is frustrating.

After you were kicked off, I went into the Slums district and had my way with a couple of Gang Toughs. I grabbed some experience and a few items for sale.

Hopefully, I'll see you on later tonight.

Bonethain Gavel

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #128
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

rule of thumb:

A 5th level wizard and 2nd level druid should NEVER set off an Ogre pack in the slums....

(sorry again for the slaughter Daim)
Old 04-29-2003, 11:53 PM   #129
Daimyo
College Starter

Fritz, how do you set off the adventure pack? I bought two rats (medium) packs and went back to the house in the slums. First I assigned it a quick key and hit that key. It said I used it and it disapeared, but no cloud or rats appeared. Second time I double clicked it directly in my inventory. Again, it said it was used, but nothing happened. I did it in the exact same place we were in earlier...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:32 AM   #130
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Fritz, how do you set off the adventure pack? I bought two rats (medium) packs and went back to the house in the slums. First I assigned it a quick key and hit that key. It said I used it and it disapeared, but no cloud or rats appeared. Second time I double clicked it directly in my inventory. Again, it said it was used, but nothing happened. I did it in the exact same place we were in earlier...

ah, I told you to get the "rat raiders.' The mediums do not seem to work.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:23 AM   #131
Critch
lolzcat

I've signed up, just got my approval email, so look out for a critch walking about looking lost.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:31 AM   #132
Thomkal
Head Coach

Last Update:

I can finally join my comrades in arms and spells as after the third application (and a reply to my original email at the same time) finally worked! Look for Thomkal the human cleric appearing in a town near you soon.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #133
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

We need to get Dan going.

edit: wow, that was freaky

Last edited by Fritz : 04-30-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:00 AM   #134
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ask and ye shall receive Fritz.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:02 AM   #135
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

someone needs to buy me a HUMMER.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:34 AM   #136
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

The two packs called rats (medium) and rats (heavy) are apparently broken, and simply don't work. If you're a low level character, you want the one called "Rat Raider" - which costs only 63 gp, and will pay off handsomely for you in both experience and booty.

Until you're a lot tougher, there doesn't seem to be another advanture pack to pursue. Both the ogres and beetles have proven to be well beyond our reach, it seems. I'm level six, and tried the beetles... no way, man, no way.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:37 AM   #137
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

HFP and I trashed Goblin Gankers, but the exp and payoff were the same as Rat Riaders, but GG costs 600 gp.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:15 AM   #138
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I am feeling better little by little so I should be more active in the next couple of days.

Another rule I learned is not run around the city flaunting your weapon, only if youre in the slums or the docks area where the beetles are.

I managed to buy an enhanced great axe that does pretty well, I accomplished a 55 pt critical hit with it. I made it to level 5.

Also if you see a GM around, make sure you roleplay. When me and Fritz and Quiksand got together away from hearing distance we shot the breeze like normal. If one of the higherups rezes you, make sure you thank them etc etc etc.

Also one of the GM's got mad at someone for setting off the ratpack in the upper floor of the guildhall (wasnt me) so I just went to the docks and used them in a house in there.

I think pretty soon we can take a good trip into the mines and then go explore the east side where we ventured to.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:41 PM   #139
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm trying to connect to Avlis for the 1st time and need help. I got my account approved so I know the password.

I go into NWN - multiplayer. Then I open up my Gamespy account and try to direct connect. In the Server Ip address I put in "avlis.blackdagger.net:5121" and then I put in my password. But I get a time out error. Is this the correct way to login?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:50 PM   #140
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sounds right to me... but now I just link directly from my "History" page. Make sure your password is properly capitalized (it's case-sensitive) and that you don't have spaces between the words.

That's all I can think of...
Old 04-30-2003, 01:51 PM   #141
KWhit
Coordinator

I wonder if the server is down. Is there anyone out there who can try to log on and see?
Old 04-30-2003, 01:52 PM   #142
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

http://avlis.blackparadox.com/serverstatus2.php

1451 in the east and the server is down.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #143
KWhit
Coordinator

Okay. Thanks Fritz.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #144
Thomkal
Head Coach

:::bashes head against computer:::

Well I got to play a little bit with Avlis this morning, for an hour or so.

I went back this afternoon to try again, saw that the server was down, and tried another one. Created a character clicked play and the first area loaded...and then the screen went blank and it sounded like the monitor restarted or something. Waited a minute or two, nothing happened, so CTRL-ALT-Deleted to get Task Manager up. Said NWN was non-responsive. Closed it up, and watched the graphics turn to about 640 X 480 resolution with really bad colors. Had to restart system to get it right again.

Avlis was back up at this time, so I tried to log in there. Same problem, get to where the first area is being loaded and screen goes blank. Was able to get into the single-player game without a problem though I didn't try to change areas. I may have fiddled with video options and controls this morning, but I had done so in the past with no problems. Tried to reset them to what I remembered them being before and still crashing.

Checked the support forums and saw a bunch of people having problems even though the game has been out a long time. Tried a couple things suggested there like turning off sound, making sure to have the same resolution and monitor refresh rate in game as when I'm outside game. No deal. Monitor refresh rate is at its lowest setting I noticed, don't know if that's a problem or not.

Anybody have any ideas? I guess it was nice playing Avlis for an hour...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:40 PM   #145
Daimyo
College Starter

I had so many problems with NeverWinter Nights when I first installed. I bet I had to hard reboot my computer 20 times over two hours! But then I installed the latest video card drivers (I have an ATI Rageon All-in-Wonder) and I haven't had to reboot since or force shutdown of NWN since then.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:50 PM   #146
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well after posting this I fiddled around a bit more and got into Avlis. Who knows what will happen next time. Better rub my lucky rabbits foot.

I have a ATI-Radeon myself Daimyo (9700 Pro) I updated the drivers recently to a not quite current driver because another game I was playing wouldn't work with the latest ones. You can't win sometimes with drivers.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #147
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Just picked up a copy on Ebay. Game should arrive in about a week.

I'll go sign up for an account in the next couple of days.

Do we need any special kind of a character?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #148
ACStrider
High School JV

GB - not really...you really just work with who's around, so any character you want to play will do.

Sorry I haven't been around the world much lately, guys. The times I want to be on, my roommie is on (only one of us can play at a time due to server issues), and the other times, I'm just too tired to try. Anyway, I'm sure I'll see you all around.

Last edited by ACStrider : 05-02-2003 at 09:41 PM.
ACStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:42 PM   #149
Daimyo
College Starter

I have a general D&D 3E question since I sold my player manual a while back... I think it would be really cool for my druid to wield a scythe (I don't even know if its a good weapon, but a druid with a scythe seems cool to me), but its an exotic weapon and druids can never get that proficiency. If I gain a level as a fighter, can I take that weapon proficiency and use a scythe or I am I forever limited to "druid" weapons no matter how I multiclass my character?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:51 PM   #150
Calis
College Starter

You should be able to take a level as a fighter and get a hold of that proficiency.

I actually find a level of fighter to be pretty nice for most characters, as you can also use that level to open up Weapon Specialization which is pretty handy.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote