Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Daytona 2013

Hey all,

Never thought I would be posting a Nascar thread but my four year old is addicted. His birthday is today and we had a racing themed birthday party for him yesterday with the Nationwide race as the centerpiece. In fact, I made a Daytona track out of food for his birthday. A couple pics are attached. The blue dip is supposed to model the lake at Daytona and we eventually got the guac down to be the infield.

Anyway, here I am on a Sunday waiting to watch a Nascar race with my little guy. Go Tony Stewart!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track3.JPG (178.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg track1.JPG (163.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Upcloseraceegg.JPG (195.2 KB, 29 views)

PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm always excited for the beginning of the season and then kinda lose interest over the summer and come back to it for the chase. I think they run too many races. Its too much of a grind.

I've been a proponent of merging nationwide and Cup for years now. Create 2 divisions that race on alternating weekends giving the teams a week off between each event they run.

Keep the points totals running with everyone included then when it comes to chase time you take the top 20 cars in points and 2 wild cards with the next most points/wins and you put them in a seperate race each weekend till the finish.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

God Damn the Budweiser Clydesdale commercial gets me.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Big wreck takes out some big names. Montoya, Tony Stewart, HArvick, and Kahne all done
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Looks like Kyle Busch caused it. Surprise, surprise
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
frnk55
High School Varsity

Yawn..
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So I watched the last ten laps or so. More interesting than I expected, but still not interesting enough for me to watch an entire race.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah I watched the last 20 laps. Not so bad, but that last lap seems to come pretty fast to where you're not even sure it's happening until it's over. Not like horseracing where they let you know they're coming down the stretch.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Yeah I watched the last 20 laps. Not so bad, but that last lap seems to come pretty fast to where you're not even sure it's happening until it's over. Not like horseracing where they let you know they're coming down the stretch.

Yeah, I feel like the announcers sort of let me down there. They kept saying Biffle and Patrick might make a move...then Dale Jr. comes flying up and they sort of footnote it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Yeah, I feel like the announcers sort of let me down there. They kept saying Biffle and Patrick might make a move...then Dale Jr. comes flying up and they sort of footnote it.

The team aspect of it kind of ruins it for me. Seems like it would be a more exciting sport if they broke up these alliances and offered more points for winning. A lot of these drivers will take the win if its there but wont give up a top 5 to risk a win.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We took our son and my Dad to the Dollar General 300 Nationwide race on Friday in Charlotte. Man that is FAR more impressive in person than on TV. We had a pretty good time, but since it was a night race my son poohed out just after halfway through.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

That's what we keep trying to decide is when to take our son. I'm thinking this coming year (he'll be 5) would be good to try out a race.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My son is 8. Bring hearing protection, it's pretty loud, you won't be talking much, but just the FEEL of the noise and the cars flying by is incredible. I will say that he was very engaged right up until the leader lapped the rear car. He's very mathematical and focused on positions, and as soon as that happened he could no longer tell who was the leader and what place his favorite driver, Kyle Busch, was in. At that point he started zoning out.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

We used to follow NASCAR pretty close and my step parents still do.
For a young child (under say ... 8) the best first test is a Nationwide race. They are significantly shorter...and 2 hours is obtainable for many kids that age...when you start stretching the attention span to 3-4 hours man...heck Ive fallen asleep inside a race at Martinsville and Bristol before.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How much trouble is NASCAR in these days? It's hard for me not to wonder considering the final race of the season happened today and not only did I not realize it but not a single word about it appeared on my Facebook wall.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I was wondering the same thing. It felt as though the Chase was predetermined (not in terms of a conspiracy theory there was just very little drama or suspense). Admittedly though for me, once Tony Stewart went out a lot of my enthusiasm this season waned as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

My interest like so many I know, subconsciously in my case, evaporated on February 18, 2001.

It wasnt that any one star was bigger than the sport, it was that I was forced to move on instantly and not ready to....it took a decade to get there but...yeah.

Then again, Ive got a good friend who works in the business and he points out that fan support is almost exactly where it has been for a long time, save a 5 year bubble from 99-04...i dont have access to the stats to dispute him but sseems about right. Charlotte could draw 80j then and it was a sell out...now its 50% full
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
lungs
Pro Rookie

Not much of a NASCAR fan but the bar I frequent has a NASCAR crowd so I joined a few survivor pools this past season. First one I was out in the first week but I made it through the end of the season in the last pool so I'll come out ahead on the year.

I also have a Juan Pablo Montoya hat in the collection I'd wear to piss off the rednecks. "That mother fucker should be deported back to Mexico!" they always tell me.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

NASCAR is just boring. Boring cars, boring drivers, boring points/championship system, boring tracks.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
NASCAR is just boring. Boring cars, boring drivers, boring points/championship system, boring tracks.

My biggest issue is the team aspect and the point system which rewards drivers for not being aggressive and not trying to win.

If they made the sport more about winning races and not so much about finishing in the top 5 and top 10 it would be far more exciting.

Teammates working together and not wanting to pass/bump teammates also makes the sport pretty uninteresting to me as well.

I do like to watch the Daytona every year though. Maybe it is because it seems like everyone actually wants to win that race and are willing to take chances in order to do it.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-18-2013 at 12:33 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote