Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #1751
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's the same rules that apply elsewhere in the economy. Like how all the tech firms can't all agree to not pay programmers more than minimum wage. That would violate antitrust and related laws.

Same sort of thing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:02 AM   #1752
bob
College Starter

OK, so going back to my original message, they can't all collude to make TDs worth 6 so they could be sued?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:17 AM   #1753
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The rules are one sided everywhere. No one is required to play college football. I just don't understand.

The lack of anti trust exemption is what makes college sports different than what we're used to when it comes to the professional sports. College sports are effectively a group of conferences competing against one another. There isn't an overarching body with the level of authority that a commissioner has.

Because these conferences are competing against one another, due to the lack of anti trust exemption, anything that is viewed as them working together to put limits on player pay, player movement etc could be seen as collusion.

The reality of it is you can't go around bragging about your potential $100 million a year conference payouts and not have the people putting in the work start to wonder where their share is.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:50 AM   #1754
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
OK, so going back to my original message, they can't all collude to make TDs worth 6 so they could be sued?
Because that is not a labor issue?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:33 PM   #1755
bob
College Starter

Isn't it though? Its literally part of the metric by which their performance is judged.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:49 PM   #1756
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Isn't it though? Its literally part of the metric by which their performance is judged.
No. That would not be a labor issue. Something like pads or helmets or safety concerns would be. But increasing the points for a touchdown wouldn't make any difference for individual workers. Everyone is still going to be judged the same whatever the number you make a touchdown. 1 touchdown is one touchdown, whether it is 1 point or a million points.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:26 PM   #1757
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The rules are one sided everywhere. No one is required to play college football. I just don't understand.

Cartels are illegal. I guess you can argue they should change the law but it is the law.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:34 PM   #1758
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

One way around these lawsuits is to eliminate college sports. But if they exist, the rules have to follow the laws.