Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cool FOFC and a Sense of Community

I’ve been chewing on this topic for awhile on my own, so I thought I’d toss it out for discussion (and for the pack of wild flaming hyenas to come in and rip it apart).

So often I am reading threads in here and someone will chime in with something along the lines of, “It’s just a (expletive) internet message board, get (expletive) over it!” Or “If you really care about what people say here, you need to get a life!” Or “You don’t know any of these people – they aren’t your friends.” Or “This is just a football text-sim bulletin board, and I don’t give a rat’s ass what you think.” You’ve all read similar comments, and I know some of you have posted them yourselves.

In my humble opinion, those remarks are just flat wrong. It amuses the hell out of me when people with 2000+ posts state that the board doesn’t matter to them. O-kay, whatever you say. I will be the first to admit that, in the grand scheme of things, FOFC is a blip on the radar of life. That being said, however, I do feel a strong sense of community here, I do count many of you as friends (understanding that an internet-based friendship is limited to the medium, but by definition a friend is “a person whom you know well and are fond of”), and in that regard I do value your thoughts and opinions. Well, many of you, anyway. Almost every one of the FOFC regulars has a persona about them; when I see their name, I have a mindset about what that individual is like (based on their posting history), so in a way I do “know” them. I always get a kick out of the threads where people toss out goofy little scenes that they envision all of us at a picnic or a holiday party. This is indeed a community.

I was going to add some flip-side comments about our issues as a community, but I’ve decided not to. It’s Friday and NFL Draft Eve, and I’ll just conclude by saying “have a great weekend guys.”

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Agree completely, I think folks who throw out the it's only a MB, get a life spiel...are a wee bit insecure about how their life is working out.

I've travelled around to a lot of different MB's in my day, and this is by far the best atmosphere of one I've ran across. I've found myself not really going to any other boards anymore, this place has it all. It's great though, I mean personally I'm stuck in a place right now I don't care for at all, surrounded by people I also don't like, this place has become almost a haven for me, man, that does sound pathetic eh? Anywho, in conclusion, I agree.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

You all mean nothing to me!

I just like the prettty yellow color...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
Calis
College Starter

You see, that's the point! We knew you'd say that! It is expected!
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:33 AM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, it is just a message board, but it is a damn good message board, with some really great people that I feel privledged to know and consider friends (internet friends whatever that is).

Because people have friends here does not mean that they don't have friends outside of the internet. I am sure the real lives of people here span from loner to most popular guy in town. You can't tell much about the 'real' person jsut from their internet persona.

Of course, there are a (slightly large) number of people here who I could care less what they say, what they say about me, or if they even showed up ever again.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:36 AM   #6
henry296
College Starter

I don't post nearly as often but have been coming here almost daily for 3 years. I do belive it is a community and you are if not friends good acquaintances.

An interesting side story is that I learn or discuss interesting topics and reference them in outside conversations. However, I can't say at FOFC we talked about this and Kodos said XXX. I don't know the exact way to reference this board to outsiders. It sounds strange to say at this message board I visit on the net we are talking about this the other day. Anyone have a good way of expressing this board to others.

Todd
Old 04-25-2003, 09:41 AM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Of course, there are a (slightly large) number of people here who I could care less what they say, what they say about me, or if they even showed up ever again.

Okay! Okay! I'll leave... Sorry 'bout all the polls.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:43 AM   #8
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

WSUCougar, I agree that this is the best message board I have ever been in. And I doo feel like I have some friends here.

There was another thread where I kind of went off the deep end and said things like "This is only a message board - get over it", but the comment was targeted at the handful of folks who seem to take things a bit too seriously and get involved in flamewars and other such nonsense.

I do like this place a lot. If fact, my wife even knows some the crazy cast of characters we have on this board. (She thinks we are all nuts by the way).

Quote:
I always get a kick out of the threads where people toss out goofy little scenes that they envision all of us at a picnic or a holiday party.

Me too. I think those threads are great.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:51 AM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Now someone needs to wax nostalgic about the "Golden Age of FOFC".
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Since the old Sideline days, I've mostly been a lurker, probably posting more lately. I don't know anyone on here very well, but I still come to the board often. It's entertaining, and despite the occasional asinine postings this place has intelligence. I can't say I've been to tons of other boards, but I've seen a few and I've never seen one like this. Flame wars or not, this board seems to band together because of common backgrounds (gaming interests and the like) and can be, surprisingly, supportive.
Would life move on without this board? Most definitely. But long days at work would definitely get a little longer without it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I am a relative newcomer to the board, but definately enjoy my time here. I love the wide ranging discussions and topics. It remends me of the range of discussion at a family get together. Its also nice to have a place where I can disagree vehemently, but for the most part stay very civil.

I am worried a bit though now that Saddam and the Information Minister are members. They have a habit of f'ing things up.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #12
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Don't worry about Saddam. He a joke.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I am here because I heard every post buys a little time on a kidney machine for some poor kids.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:11 AM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I am here because I heard every post buys a little time on a kidney machine for some poor kids.

...and because you are a rampant squidist.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:20 AM   #15
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Fritz likes midgets.
Fritz likes the Colossal Squid.

Anyone else see the irony?
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #16
HornsManiac

My wife and I love all of you. The only thing keeping you from being on her Christmas card list is the lack of addresses.

HornsManiac
Old 04-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #17
Easy Mac

she was at my house last night Horns, I'm sure she has the address
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #18
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
she was at my house last night Horns, I'm sure she has the address

Damn, that explains it. I knew there had to be a reason she came in so friggin' horny and wouldn't let me sleep.

HornsManiac
Old 04-25-2003, 10:29 AM   #19
Easy Mac

what, was she showing you the video we made and getting herself off again?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:29 AM   #20
John Galt
Pro Starter

I agree WSUCougar. Good post.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:40 AM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
An interesting side story is that I learn or discuss interesting topics and reference them in outside conversations. However, I can't say at FOFC we talked about this and Kodos said XXX. I don't know the exact way to reference this board to outsiders. It sounds strange to say at this message board I visit on the net we are talking about this the other day.

I know how you feel. I tell my girlfriend about some of the more interesting threads every once in a while (such as Easy's real-time "My roommate is having sex in the livingroom" thread) and she just gives me a weird look and says whatever.

I also agree that this is a really good message board and community. I lurk on a Houston Rockets message board but can only read ot for a few minutes at a time because everyone there is either ripping on (a) each other, (b) the players, or (c) the coaching staff. There's never anything positive, there are constant flame wars, people calling people idiots all the time. And mods there are super quick to ban people or lock down threads.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed this board and the wacky cast of characters that we have here, and I hope things don't change here...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #22
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The only other board I frequent is for King's X, and while it's good for a discussion of music - KX-related or not - which I can't get enough of, the Off Topic debates make this place look downright tame. Name calling, fight picking, wild conspiracy theories taken as fact, very little discussion, etc. It's another universe in there. They've got a segregated forum for that, though, so you are warned that anything goes in there.

One of the great things about this forum is that it is well-paced. You can miss a day and still be able to get the general idea of what's going on, and if you want to read a lot of what has happened since you last read, it's not too burdensome to do that. But, there's usually enough posts during the day that you can get a steady stream of entertaining/informative posts throughout the day without getting bored by the lack of posts.

It's a well-balanced forum from that perspective, although I don't know that anyone can necessarily take credit for it - it just happens that way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #23
bryce
High School Varsity

this is by far one of the better boards out there, for two main reasons others have alluded to: civility and maturity (for the most part).

for comparison sake, i can tolerate fftoday.com for about 2 minutes b4 i want to reach into this world wide innerweb thing and bitchslap someone.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:02 AM   #24
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Okay! Okay! I'll leave... Sorry 'bout all the polls.

Marmel is my hero.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:02 AM   #25
moriarty
College Starter

First of all, I made a similar 'this is just a message board' remark lately to somebody who was complaining about someone else's sarcastic remarks.

My comment wasn't to demean the value of this board, but rather to say let's not nitpick each other's contributions and pretend that we only post 'serious' comments. This message board has a life of its own, which for better or worse we really cannot control.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that while there are some great threads, with serious topics, part of what makes this board an interesting place is the combined effect: humor, sarcasm, Horns, etc.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. For the most part, the people here provide a ton of answers, comical quip, and are plain out good folk.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:16 AM   #27
Butter
Coordinator

Re: FOFC and a Sense of Community

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
Almost every one of the FOFC regulars has a persona about them; when I see their name, I have a mindset about what that individual is like (based on their posting history), so in a way I do “know” them.

For example, my persona is the guy whose posts generally are responded to by cricket noises.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #28
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPersonality1
Fritz likes midgets.
Fritz likes the Colossal Squid.

Anyone else see the irony?

Fritz = LOVE
Old 04-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #29
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPersonality1
If fact, my wife even knows some the crazy cast of characters we have on this board. (She thinks we are all nuts by the way).

My wife is telling me to tell your wife that she is right.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #30
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

My wife likes the names Swaggs, Subby, Chief Rum, and Shorty (she likes the 50 cent song, don't ask me why).

Of course, she thinks we are all idiots, myself included.

Finally, she thinks Kodos posts too many polls. I knew I loved her for a reason (although Fritz is still #1 in my heart, you can never top a massively hairy chest like his)

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:38 PM   #31
vtbub
College Starter

It's a great board that gives the ol' debit card a workout.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:41 PM   #32
bbor
Pro Starter

FOFC makes slow days at work bareable

FOFC makes busy days at work suck...cause i rather be reading FOFC

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #33
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
It's a great board that gives the ol' debit card a workout.

You pay to post here? I guess it's like the ol' selling an elevator pass to freshmen in high school.

Seriously, though. Who are you people? What are you doing on my screen?
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:35 PM   #34
samifan24
Pro Starter

I knew there was a reason I kept coming back here. WSUCougar, you hit the nail on the head. Well said.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #35
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Why I came here: It's a Front Office Football message board.

Why I stay here: It's not JUST a Front Office Football message board.

ABC
Old 04-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #36
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by AnalBumCover
Why I came here: It's a Front Office Football message board.

Why I stay here: It's not JUST a Front Office Football message board.

ABC

couldn't have said it better myself...bravo
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:05 PM   #37
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can hear you people humming Kumbaya. Stop it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #38
Craptacular
College Starter

I'd prefer a little P-Funk.

You've got a real type of thing going down, gettin' down
There's a whole lot of rhythm going round
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #39
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
You pay to post here? I guess it's like the ol' selling an elevator pass to freshmen in high school.

Seriously, though. Who are you people? What are you doing on my screen?

LOL, NO. But I have quite a few games bought on the recommendations made here.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:54 PM   #40
Lazy Eye
n00b

I am here because I have no place else to go.

No place.

to go.
Lazy Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM   #41
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I'd prefer a little P-Funk.

You've got a real type of thing going down, gettin' down
There's a whole lot of rhythm going round
Sometimes I prefer a little "G-Funk"

This is for the G's.
And this is for the hustlas
This is for the hustlas
Now back to da G's....
Old 04-25-2003, 03:37 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm a G-Funk type person as well

I'm tweaking
onto a whole new level
G-Funk
stpe to this
I dare ya
funk
on a whole new level
the rythmn is the base and the base is the treble
chords
strings
we brings
melody
G-Funk
where rythmn is life
and life is rythmn
If you know like I know
you don't wanna step to this
it's the G-Funk era
funked out with a gangster twist
if you post like I post
then you missin work like everyday
and if your ass is a buster
FOFC will regulate

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-25-2003 at 03:41 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #43
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
An interesting side story is that I learn or discuss interesting topics and reference them in outside conversations. However, I can't say at FOFC we talked about this and Kodos said XXX. I don't know the exact way to reference this board to outsiders. It sounds strange to say at this message board I visit on the net we are talking about this the other day. Anyone have a good way of expressing this board to others.

I have that problem often. I usually just say, "a friend of mine said..." instead of a long explanation of exactly were my friend said this or that.

What's more, I feel like I owe this board a commission or something. You just do not realize how sermon subjects or illustrations have come from this board!
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #44
Craptacular
College Starter

Who or what is G-funk?
Old 04-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #45
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
I have that problem often. I usually just say, "a friend of mine said..." instead of a long explanation of exactly were my friend said this or that.

What's more, I feel like I owe this board a commission or something. You just do not realize how sermon subjects or illustrations have come from this board!

what kinda chuch you running?

Is it anything like Reverend Billy's?
Old 04-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #46
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg

Yup, I can see the reader-board outside GD's church:

Welcome!

Sunday Communion: 9:00 & 11:00

Sermon: "How to Score as a Cocky & Funny Christian!" by Pastor GrantDawg
Old 04-25-2003, 03:54 PM   #47
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
Sermon: "How to Score as a Cocky & Funny Christian!" by Pastor GrantDawg
G-dawg sets 'em up, and WSUCougar knocks 'em down! LOL!!! (Not kidding...I truly laughed out loud at that one.)

Old 04-25-2003, 03:55 PM   #48
Ben E Lou

Dola---I've actually used stuff from here as message illustrations as well.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:55 PM   #49
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Who or what is G-funk?

...as he asks wit hiz signatizzie

Style of urban rap. 'Dog might disagree, but I consider Dre the granddaddio.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:58 PM   #50
Craptacular
College Starter

Sorry, I gave up on (c)rap a long, long time ago.

The "Ask Snoop" site is just one of the funniest things I've seen in years.