Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2003, 01:28 AM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Tonight Commericals!

Pretty good stuff. I, of course, recognized the Bull Durham one right away.

But, I have no idea what the another one is refering to. The one with Valentine throwing a ball past a speed marker (it says 75 mph). Then he walks past it, and if flickers 95. What movie is that from?

And the one about the girl saying she doesn't memorize the 3rd baseman of the Pirates in 1960 (Don Hoak). Was that City Slickers?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

city slickers is correct.

The speed marker one is ummmmmmm, dammit. The disney movie from a year or two ago about the 30something high school coach that made it to the majors, I think he was a reliever for the devil rays, based on a true story and stuff. I can't believe I don't remember the name of it, but I'm going to post anyway!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Re: Baseball Tonight Commericals!

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui

But, I have no idea what the another one is refering to. The one with Valentine throwing a ball past a speed marker (it says 75 mph). Then he walks past it, and if flickers 95. What movie is that from?

I think I saw that scene in the recent Costner movie "The Rookie." Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's where it's from.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:35 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah... but Costner wasn't in the Rookie... it's the guy in Frequency... what's his name.

Thanks guys... I've never seen that movie.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:35 AM   #5
astralhaze
College Prospect

Re: Re: Baseball Tonight Commericals!

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
I think I saw that scene in the recent Costner movie "The Rookie." Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's where it's from.

Neuqua

I was, in fact, "The Rookie", but it was not Kevin Costner but the immortal Dennis Quaid
Old 04-25-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's the name .

You guys rock!! Oh, and so do those commercials. I almost pissed my pants seeing Peter Gammons as 'Crash' in the Bull Durham one .
Old 04-25-2003, 01:51 AM   #7
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Re: Re: Re: Baseball Tonight Commericals!

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
I was, in fact, "The Rookie", but it was not Kevin Costner but the immortal Dennis Quaid

Ah, you're right. My brain doesn't seem to work as well at 1:30am.

1 out of 2 is fine by me.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:01 AM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I really enjoy the commercials, ESPN is pretty solid overall with advertising. I'm also really enjoying the NFL draft commercials. The "What does YOUR team need?" ones showing, for example, David Carr about to take the snap with only a center for an offensive line.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:43 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

The Baseball Tonight commercials are great. I don't really like the one based on the Rookie, though. I guess it's my hatred of Valentine coming through.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:47 AM   #10
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
The Baseball Tonight commercials are great. I don't really like the one based on the Rookie, though. I guess it's my hatred of Valentine coming through.

Hehe -- I heard that.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
That's the name .

You guys rock!! Oh, and so do those commercials. I almost pissed my pants seeing Peter Gammons as 'Crash' in the Bull Durham one .

That is one of my favorites too. I liked the ones from last year stolen from the natural too

I havent seen the one stolen from the Rookie yet. I must not be watching enough ESPN

-turlos
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:02 AM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Last year's Bukk Durham take off was great too. They did the shower scene with Gammons calling them loolygaggers. Very funny.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:06 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think it was Harold Reynolds and Ravech that were the coach and asst coach in the lollygaggers skit.. That was funny though

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T
I think it was Harold Reynolds and Ravech that were the coach and asst coach in the lollygaggers skit.. That was funny though

yeah, Gammons was in the shower wrapped in a towel. great stuff
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote