Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Unhappy Jerry Nadeau Injured

Let's pray for his recovery ...
The crash looked pretty bad too....just saw it on TV .
Nadeau Rushed to Hospital
After Crash in Practice

.c The Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. (May 2) -- Winston Cup driver Jerry Nadeau was injured, possibly seriously, when he crashed in practice Friday at Richmond International Raceway.

The 32-year-old driver from Danbury, Conn., did not appear to be moving when he was removed from his car strapped to a body board.

Nadeau was being fed oxygen through a bag when he was pulled from the car and placed in the ambulance.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Nadeau had been taken to the Medical College of Virginia Hospitals in Richmond with what doctors told them was "the potential for serious injuries,'' but "that's all we know right now.''

He did not know if Nadeau was conscious when taken from the car.

Nadeau's Pontiac struck the outside wall on the three-quarter mile oval during the final practice session for Saturday night's Pontiac Excitement 400. The car skidded, spun halfway around and slammed driver's side first into the wall between the first and second turns.

After several minutes, rescue crews cut part of the top off the car, climbed inside with him and removed Nadeau.

He was taken by ambulance to the track's infield care center, then loaded airlifted from the track as Henrico County police and fire officials ordered onlookers away from the helipad.

Earlier, Nadeau qualified 12th for the race.

He's in his sixth full season on NASCAR's top circuit. His only victory in 177 career starts came in the final race of 2000 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Nadeau was rookie of the year in the Skip Barber Eastern Series in 1991, and won nine races from 1993-95. He made his NASCAR debut in the Busch series in 1995.

He was an All-American Soap Box Derby racer before turning to go-karts in 1984. He won 10 races in World Karting Association and International Karting Foundation competition from 1984-90.

His best season in Winston Cup was 2001, when he posted four top-five and 10 top-10 finishes in 34 races as a Hendrick Motorsports teammate to four-time series champion Jeff Gordon.

Nadeau is in his first full season as a driver for MB2 Motorsports.

05/02/03 19:01 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Produced by SportsLine

CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

An update is he is in critical condition and hasn't regained conciousness and is breathing with the help of a breathing apparatus .
Old 05-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

More will be released '' As soon as his wife gets to the hospital .'' I'm guessing it's real bad for it to come down to that .
Old 05-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Man, I hope we haven't lost another.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ESPN reporting "Critical but Stable condition"
Old 05-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Sir Fozzie ....I dont believe it said stable condition but ....lets hope .
Old 05-02-2003, 10:08 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's the relevant portion from the ESPN.COM story

A source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Mike Massaro that Nadeau's vital signs are good, and that he is currently in critical but stable condition at the Medical College of Virginia Hospitals in Richmond.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said the hospital was prevented from saying much while awaiting the arrival of Nadeau's wife, Jada, who was traveling from South Carolina after attending her grandfather's funeral. NASCAR sent a plane to pick her up.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Oh Ok ..got me there . Thanks for the info .
Old 05-02-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sigh.

Pray for the best and fear the worst again I guess.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #10
tucker342
Pro Starter

I hate to see stuff like this happen...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #11
cmp
Pro Rookie

I hope it's not as bad as it seems. Probably no more information until morning.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:04 AM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

The latest articles say NASCAR sent a plane for his wife ... who was at her grandfather's funeral. Hope he's OK.

edit: Doh, didn't see this was already posted.

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-03-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:37 AM   #13
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Yeah, it's bad to see a good driver like Jerry injured. I hear lots of conflicting reports floating around, one saying "Oh he's in Critical Condition" another saying "Oh he's in Stable". Latest from NASCAR shows we won't know til Saturday morning.

Nadeau has looked to be on the rebound placing several top 10s and one top 4 at Texas in the 01 Army Pontiac. I expected him to win at least one or two races this season, now we don't know if he'll even come back to the car or snap out of unconciousness. His career has been somewhat injury prone as he did break his arm last year late in the season while driving the 44 Dodge.

NASCAR has done a great job on safety ever since the loss of the legendary Dale Earnhardt. But lately, it can't go without faults as we've seen Dale Jr. race most of last year with a concussion, Johnny Benson injured at Richmond, and a cameraman punched by Tony Stewart. (Sorry for that little joke)

I'm sitting here praying for Jerry Nadeau.

Last edited by Happy29 : 05-03-2003 at 12:54 AM.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:37 AM   #14
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Prayers for Jerry's recovery from here also. I hope he makes it back all the way.

On a lighter note, I almost choked on my sandwich when I heard that Terry Labonte won the pole for tonight's race. He hasn't done much since, oh, 2000, though he had shown a few signs of life this year before this. I'd like to see him follow through with a nice finish.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #15
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Rumors from Jayski.com say that Hospital personnel will put Jerry in a coma to better treat his injuries? I'm no medical expert however, it doesnt sound either good nor bad.

Congratulations to my man Kevin Harvick for winning the Busch Series race. I'd love to see Dale Jr. or Kevin Harvick in victory lane today.

Keep prayin for #01.
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Jerry Nadeau was in intensive care with head, lung and rib injuries from a crash in Winston Cup practice, and his vital signs are "very good," team general manager Jay Frye said Saturday.

Nadeau remained in critical condition a day after the crash at Richmond International Raceway. He has not spoken since the accident, Frye said, but has been communicating with visitors despite being sedated.

"He was aware that I was there," said Frye, who has seen the 32-year-old driver three times since the accident in practice Friday afternoon. Frye said Nadeau acknowledged his presence by squeezing Frye's hand.

"He looks phenomenal," Frye said. "Once I went in to see him and left, it made a world of difference to me. You go in not knowing what to expect, and then you see - there's your guy. Everything's OK."

Nadeau continues to undergo a series of tests, Frye said, but he could not specify what those tests were or what they have shown to this point. He also could not say whether Nadeau was breathing on his own again, but said each time he's seen Nadeau, he looked better than the last time.

"We're very encouraged," he said. "We'll know so much more tonight or tomorrow morning" after more testing has been completed and studied.

http://sports.myway.com/news/05032003/v0365.html
Old 05-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

ESPN is also reporting that a source close to Nadeau is saying that he has been induced into a coma because of a head fracture.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:08 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

May 5, 3:57 PM (ET)

By HANK KURZ Jr.

(AP) Injured driver Jerry Nadeau, shown in this 2002 file photo, got a hospital visit from Kyle Petty,...
Full Image
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Winston Cup driver Jerry Nadeau was improving Monday, three days after he was badly hurt in a crash at Richmond International Raceway.

The 32-year-old driver was listed in serious but stable condition at Medical College of Virginia Hospitals. He had been in critical condition.

Nadeau's car slammed driver's side first into the concrete wall at the track. He sustained head, lung and rib injuries but did not fracture his skull, said team spokesman David Ferroni, adding Nadeau's improvement is "right on course."

"He is awake, he is responding to the environment and processing information," Ferroni said, repeating what he said doctors told him.

http://sports.myway.com/news/05052003/v2416.html
Old 05-06-2003, 10:06 AM   #19
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

At least it sounds like there is no spinal or brain damage .