Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Apparently frat parties are not for 40-something coaches

Iowa State basketball coach Larry Eustachy said drinking was a factor in his behavior at a student party in Missouri, where he was photographed holding a beer can and kissing female students on the cheek...

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0428/1546141.html

Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Kissing a student on the cheek gets you fired? I don't get it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I miss school
Old 04-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

Eustachy caught on tape

Here are the pictures from the party...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Maybe he should be fired for drinking that swill he has in his hands. Natty Light? C'mon, you make Big 12 coaching bucks!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-28-2003 at 09:17 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
jesus sterlingice. when you sqaid Natty I though you meant National Bohemian.

Natural Light is ambrosia compared.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:35 PM   #7
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Am I the only one who would love to see Iowa State make the to Durham, NC to play Duke next season? I can only imagine what kind of stunt the Cameron Crazies would have ready for this guy..

Natty Light? I used to drink that stuff when my friends and I could barely scrap up enough cash for alcohol in my late High School and early College days..
Old 04-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Natty Bo!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #9
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

His comments about Manhattan are pretty darned accurate.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

People need to freakin' lighten up. Christ. We had profs coming up to our house all the time drinking with us. Hell, we had off duty campus security coming up to drink with us.

And I will not utter the name of the "I Was Stupid As A Freshman And Drank [This] Beer". Such things should never be spoken aloud....ever.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:48 PM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Natty Light? I used to drink that stuff when my friends and I could barely scrap up enough cash for alcohol in my late High School and early College days..

Yeah, one of the funny things the article accompanying the pictures mentions is that Eustachy is the highest paid public employee in Iowa.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Natty Bo!

*shudder at the name*

just thinking of natty bo makes me want to shit a skunk.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

dola...in response to Coffee Warlord...I think the problem is that he went to a party on the team's road trip to the University of Missouri, not a party at Iowa State. He traveled separately from his team. He bad mouthed his team at the party. He almost got into a fight with a guy at the party.

I had beers with professors too, and even my own school's basketball coach in college, but you've got to admit hanging out with another school's basketball coach would have been a bit out of the ordinary.

Having said all that, I think it is incredibly lame the kid who turned in the negatives to the Des Moines Register. You partied with the coach, had a good time and took some memorable photos. No need to send them to a newspaper.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:58 PM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Plus, this was on tigerboard and in the Columbia news about 3 months ago. Why is this all of a sudden a national story?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:23 PM   #15
TLK
Pro Starter

Don't those pics look like they could be a commercial for Natty Light?
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:29 PM   #16
tucker342
Pro Starter

it's about time for the Iowa State coach got fired, just not for the reason I thought it would be for...

I can't stand him.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:31 PM   #17
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

I guess he wasn't fired, also, if he's going to kiss some girls, they should at least be hot.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:37 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Outfit to 'fit in' at a frat party $80
1 case of Natural Light $5
Film and camera for wild party pictures $25

Your wife's face as she's looking at the newspaper one sunny morning? -priceless

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-28-2003 at 10:38 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:58 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

Nati Light is no good, good point sterling.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #20
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

One of the 10 signs of the coming apocalyse .
Old 04-29-2003, 02:14 AM   #21
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

It is pretty interesting. It is acceptable for Bill Clinton to do the things we know he did with Monica Lewinsky inside the White House and keep his job, but people want to bring down some wrath on a basketball coach who for all we know just drank beer with some people and kissed some co-eds on the cheek? What in the WORLD is wrong with our society when we hold a sports coach to a higher standard of behavior than our very own Presidents? I wish I could understand.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:35 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
It is pretty interesting. It is acceptable for Bill Clinton to do the things we know he did with Monica Lewinsky inside the White House and keep his job, but people want to bring down some wrath on a basketball coach who for all we know just drank beer with some people and kissed some co-eds on the cheek? What in the WORLD is wrong with our society when we hold a sports coach to a higher standard of behavior than our very own Presidents? I wish I could understand.

Pretty easy to understand, really. The guy is the head basketball coach at a divison 1a school and is partying at a rival school's campus. Common sense?

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #23
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Oh, that's it? Guess that does make some sense. "Dude, if you are going to party with the kids, why don't you do it with the home team, alright?"
Old 04-29-2003, 09:54 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, that's it? Guess that does make some sense. "Dude, if you are going to party with the kids, why don't you do it with the home team, alright?"

Ok, I guess you can't put 2 and 2 together.

Head Basketball Coach - Division 1A
+
Young College Girls, Beer, and a Camera
=

Bad Boy or Stupid boy (you pick)

Understand?

NOT ACCEPTABLE, ESPECIALLY when you're so dumb to party with the team that just beat you.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 10:06 AM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

They can't impeach a president for getting a b-job (last time I checked), but a University has a right to fire/fine a coach for attending frat parties, if they deem it unappropriate behavior.

I'm not saying he's a bastard for partying and having a good time, but c'mon he's like 40 years old, makes about $1.5 mil a year to COACH, has a family AND has done this kind of thing before. It's not a simple picture of him sharing a beer with a friend or two. He's kissing a girl, partying until like 2am-3am, etc...

Ok, I admit it, I want to be just like him.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 10:16 AM   #26
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Having a few in the bar with students is one thing, but, going to Frat parties? What's wrong with him?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:42 PM   #27
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

He parties on his own private time, not when he is supposed to be working. It is not up to the university to decide whether he needs to be at home tending to his wife and family or off chasing women at a frat party. That is a private matter for his family to deal with.

They should judge the man on the job he does, and not what he does off the clock.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They should judge the man on the job he does, and not what he does off the clock.

That's where you're wrong. He's a public figure and he choose that path when he became an NCAA head basketball coach. Meaning, he needs to conduct himself appropriately... ESPECIALLY on campus.

Two choices, choose a different profession and carry on with your frat parties -or- become a head coach, makes lots of cash AND conduct yourself properly when in the public eye. If he wants to have a party at his house, so be it.. but to go out to a frat party thinking no one will notice... well that's just plain stupid.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 01:05 PM   #29
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

He is a represenative of ISU, and when you are in that position, you don't go to a frat party.

If you got drunk and started hitting on the women at a office party, do you think your boss would accept the fact that you weren't on the company clock?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:56 PM   #30
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Larry's Big Night Out
Old 04-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Larry's Big Night Out

Priceless. LOL!

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 02:34 PM   #32
Hyde
n00b

Eustys defense could be that he read the list of best party schools and was "researching" its authenticity to keep his own players safe from bogus parties.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:42 PM   #33
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
He is a represenative of ISU, and when you are in that position, you don't go to a frat party.

If you got drunk and started hitting on the women at a office party, do you think your boss would accept the fact that you weren't on the company clock?

"Office party" tends to indicate one held in the office, or with the official sanction of the office. This event meets neither criteria.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #34
Hyde
n00b

Quote:

My boss would be too busy snaking his secretary to notice who I was hitting on.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:52 PM   #35
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
That's where you're wrong. He's a public figure and he choose that path when he became an NCAA head basketball coach. Meaning, he needs to conduct himself appropriately... ESPECIALLY on campus.

Two choices, choose a different profession and carry on with your frat parties -or- become a head coach, makes lots of cash AND conduct yourself properly when in the public eye. If he wants to have a party at his house, so be it.. but to go out to a frat party thinking no one will notice... well that's just plain stupid.

"on campus" generally applies to the campus of your school, not other schools, so that does not apply in this case.

Why does it matter if anyone notices? Was it a "frat party for everyone except NCAA coaches", or was it a "frat party", or was it just a "party"...? I wonder what NCAA policies indicate the kinds of parties you are allowed to attend, as well as the kinds of activities you are allowed to engage in while at such parties.

Smart, or not, this doesn't sound like it really, specifically, violates any laws or rules. As such, I find it unbelievable that anybody thinks he should be punished for it. Make fun of the guy, laugh at him, etc, but doesn't sound to me like his job should be on the line because I've yet to see any account of it that indicates he was doing anything illegal. Fraternizing with people you do not even work with should never impact your job.

Going back to my original point, if it is ok for a President of the United States to engage in sexual relations with an intern, on government property, and then lie under oath about it, then I can't see how attending a party that is not even on the campus you work at, drinking beer, and kissing women on the cheeks, is grounds for any significant punishment. If they think they do not want him in that position anymore, they should buyout his contract.

It is not any business of my employer if I go off and party with people that do not work with me, or are even customers of the business I work for, drink alcohol, and kiss women while I am there. The only thing they should even possibly begin to care about is if I engage in illegal activities.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:00 PM   #36
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I'm guessing that Eustache has a morals clause in his contract, that's the part of being a representative of his school.

I guess you are just not getting on how wrong this is, how about if you pulled a stunt like I described at a get together at a fellow employees house and your boss was in attendance, do you think your boss would really forget about it?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:09 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm guessing that Eustache has a morals clause in his contract, that's the part of being a representative of his school.

Exactly! If you're just a normal player, who gives two sheets about your attendance at a party?... BUT.... you are a HEAD COACH at a division 1A school and have 'MORALS' to uphold as a represenative of your school.

Again, I think he's a hip dude for partying with the boys and girls, but in my eyes, this is wrong or inappropriate behavior for a guy of his stature. Period.

I guess 4 years in the military has made me feel this way. I'm a PFC having a party when in comes the commanding officer, starts drinking beer and kissing younger, lower ranking Marines. That is fraternization, plain and simple.

Todd
Old 04-29-2003, 03:27 PM   #38
moriarty
College Starter

I'm not sure which is more embarrasing:

Caught drinking Natural Lite on a million dollar a year salary (c'mon dude, buy the kids a keg or something you tightwad)

The photos of him smooching the chunky girls on the cheek
(serious beer goggles or he likes the booty?)

Trying this pickup line on a Kstate student 'What are you doing here? Why aren't you going to KU? The girls down there are much hotter. You belong there'
(um... is he reading the hornsmaniac guide to being cocky and funny?)

... or the quote from the kid that turned in the pics, stating his suprise the coach stayed out until 4:30 am:
"I didn't think personally he could hang that long, being an old man."
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #39
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think the inappropraite part that is being overlooked is not the natural light, or the frat party, or kissing the girls. He just lost to a team (a very good team, but that's not the point ) and he sends his kids back to Iowa and then goes to a party with one of the players of the team he just lost to. I don't think that would be the drive that I would be looking for in my head basketball coach.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:46 PM   #40
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd
I think the inappropraite part that is being overlooked is not the natural light, or the frat party, or kissing the girls. He just lost to a team (a very good team, but that's not the point ) and he sends his kids back to Iowa and then goes to a party with one of the players of the team he just lost to. I don't think that would be the drive that I would be looking for in my head basketball coach.

Bingo.

And the alleged badmouthing of his team at the party is an extra slap in the face.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:47 PM   #41
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd

That is, perhaps, the only legitimate point made so far. You guys keep talking about bosses, and commanding officers, and such. Those examples don't apply in this case at all. There were no lower-ranking Marines at the party that he was kissing on. There were no fellow employees that he was hitting on.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #42
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
Yeah, one of the funny things the article accompanying the pictures mentions is that Eustachy was the highest paid public employee in Iowa.

I fixed this for you.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #43
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That is, perhaps, the only legitimate point made so far. You guys keep talking about bosses, and commanding officers, and such. Those examples don't apply in this case at all. There were no lower-ranking Marines at the party that he was kissing on. There were no fellow employees that he was hitting on.

I was using a example of someone being a ass at a party and getting caught. Your boss wouldn't care if he didn't know right? But, if you did it where he could see it, that certainly makes a difference. Well, this guy made front page in the home state paper, making ISU and ISU basketball look like a joke, what do you think is going to happen.

Read the quote on someone's signature around here from Hoosiers, there's 2 kinds of crazy, the one where you do it and no one notices, and the one where you do it in someone elses backyard.

EDIT, I found the quote

You know, mister, there's two kinds of dumb. A fellow that strips naked, runs through the snow, and barks at the moon. Then there's the fellow that does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter too much, the second you're kinda forced to have to deal with.

Last edited by Cards4ever : 04-30-2003 at 08:21 AM.
Cards4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What point(s) are you looking for?

Quote:
Eustachy, 47 and married, is shown in the photos with a beer can in his hands, embracing young women and kissing them on the cheek.

Quote:
The story also said Eustachy had partied with students after a game at Kansas State in January 2002 and "wound up in an argument with a student who found the coach's arm around his 19-year-old sister."

Quote:
"He was drunk, but not that drunk, and smiling. But after I'd take that first picture, (the girls) would try squirm out from underneath his arm and he'd lean over and try to stick his tongue in their ear.

"After a while, they said, 'He's creeping me out. I don't want any more pictures.'"

Quote:
Mizzou sophomore Elizabeth Noce told the Register: "We thought it was really funny he was there, and then as the night progressed, he was drinking more and more. The comments he was making to some of my friends while he was there turned inappropriate."

If you can't relate to these quotes from the paper, then I don't know what to tell you. My only question is, should this kid have disposed of the negatives or was he 'in the right' for making them public after two months?

For a twentysomething year old student, this type of behavior is typical, for a 47 year old basketball coach (NCAA division 1A - Big 12), who's married, it's not, imo. If you think it's ok, fine.

If my wife saw pictures of me doing the same thing, she'd probably leave my ass.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-30-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #45
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
What point(s) are you looking for?
If you can't relate to these quotes from the paper, then I don't know what to tell you. My only question is, should this kid have disposed of the negatives or was he 'in the right' for making them public after two months?
For a twentysomething year old student, this type of behavior is typical, for a 47 year old basketball coach (NCAA division 1A - Big 12), who's married, it's not, imo. If you think it's ok, fine.
If my wife saw pictures of me doing the same thing, she'd probably leave my ass.

The kid could do whatever he wanted to with the negatives, and hopefully he made the decision by himself and was not pressured by outside parties.

I never said it was ok. I did say that I don't see where this behavior indicates that he needs to lose his job.

So what if your wife would leave you? So what if his wife leaves him? And what does that have to do with his job? Lots of people get divorced over adultery, even when photos are in the newspapers/tabloids, but that does not mean that they all get fired, does it?

Seems you guys cannot separate "don't see why he should get fired" from "I think the guy is a wonderful moral upstanding citizen who can do no wrong." Are you guys saying that it would be ok for this guy if he did this in his office instead of at a party? That's about the only difference between what he did and what Clinton did, except there was more than just pecks on the cheek between Bill and Monica.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #46
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Why you want to drag Clinton into this, I have no idea. It's a seperate issue, Clinton isn't out recruiting players. He's out recruiting votes, and he never had to run again, but his party sure has suffered.

Again, this guy is representing a University and he didn't do a very good job, he was drunk, he ran down his team, and made some very bad judgements for someone that is 47yo.

You have tried to defend him, it's his time, blah blah blah. Now, I've tried to come up with examples to show you, why, he should be disciplined(not necessarily fired), so, here's my latest attempt. Your boss sends you to a convention, at the convention you run down the company you work for, get drunk, and just do some stupid shit. Your boss gets wind of what happened, what do you think will happen? Do you honestly believe that your boss is not going to discipline you in some way?
Old 04-30-2003, 02:33 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I never said it was ok. I did say that I don't see where this behavior indicates that he needs to lose his job.

If you were the athletic director, what would you do? Laugh and say, men will be men?

Quote:
So what if your wife would leave you? So what if his wife leaves him? And what does that have to do with his job? Lots of people get divorced over adultery, even when photos are in the newspapers/tabloids, but that does not mean that they all get fired, does it?

Actually, nothing with him being fired... and yes some people do get fired for stunts like that.

Quote:
Seems you guys cannot separate "don't see why he should get fired" from "I think the guy is a wonderful moral upstanding citizen who can do no wrong." Are you guys saying that it would be ok for this guy if he did this in his office instead of at a party? That's about the only difference between what he did and what Clinton did, except there was more than just pecks on the cheek between Bill and Monica.

Seems like you can't separate "all he did was attend a party" from "anytime he's out in the public, he's a direct represenative of his school he's the coach for". If he did this at home or no one ever found out, it still wouldn't be ok, but who would know or care? BUT he was caught and now his school has to answer questions from concered parents, players, and alumni.

Clinton hasn't returned as president and Eustachy might not return as coach.

Todd
Old 04-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #48
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, I guess ISU agrees with Todd and myself

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0430/1547388.html

In there, this is something we have been trying to tell you along from the article.

Van De Velde took the action because Eustachy "had engaged in behavior that is inconsistent with his responsibility to conduct himself in a manner that reflects positively on Iowa State University and the university's athletic programs."
Old 05-01-2003, 04:48 AM   #49
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You have tried to defend him, it's his time, blah blah blah. Now, I've tried to come up with examples to show you, why, he should be disciplined(not necessarily fired), so, here's my latest attempt. Your boss sends you to a convention, at the convention you run down the company you work for, get drunk, and just do some stupid shit. Your boss gets wind of what happened, what do you think will happen? Do you honestly believe that your boss is not going to discipline you in some way?

Here is a better analogy :

Your boss sends you to another city on business. While there, you go out that night and party with locals (not at the convention, because he was not partying at the game). My boss would not punish me for partying, and deriding the company I work for. I say worse about the company I work for when I am actually in the office than I probably would at a party, no matter how drunk I get. They would probably be less impressed with pictures of me kissing other women, but they would not fire me for it.

They keep me because I do good work and they can count on me to get the job done and be completely honest with them. See, they like the honesty, even if it means I pan the company every chance I get. They know they're getting a straight shooter 100% of the time and respect it.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:07 AM   #50
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Clinton is barred from returning as President. Not because of what he did, but because he has served the maximum terms legally possible at this time.

I keep dragging Clinton into it because I am stunned at the double standard. We expect and demand a different standard of behavior from a basketball coach than the President of the United States. I just don't get it. What's ok for the President of the US should be good enough for everybody else. If you lie under oath, and then lie daily to the press for weeks/months, and keep your job as President, then I fail to see why you would fire somebody just for drinking beer, kissing girls, and saying a few things you shouldn't while getting drunk. After all, there are lots of people that have drank alcohol at parties, kissed girls they should not have, and then said things they should not have. This guy should lose his job just because he did what thousands of other human beings will probably do over the next couple of weeks?

On May 5, I bet a lot of people are going to go out and get drunk. While out, a good many of them are going to hug people they should not, and perhaps even kiss people they should not, and a whole lot of them are going to say things they should not. Let's light the torches and gather them all for a mass firing, ok?

They can fire him if they want to. They can stand up and say that they hold their basketball coaches to a higher standard than the people of this country hold their President to, if they want to. A lot of people can cheer and be happy about it as well. The only problem for this coach is he doesn't have a bunch of other coaches lining up telling the world that he is the best coach ever. Reportedly his players want him to stay. I suppose that doesn't matter, either. Let's fire the guy for being human and having weaknesses. Cool. Let's not wait until we can fire him for his job performance while on the clock. Let's run the guy out of town for doing the things that loads of other people do every week.