Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Ring? (Spoiler alert)

Anyone see that movie? Spookie. I still have chills after watching it tonight with my wife and some friends.

We actually started getting up after the Noah kissed Rachel and left. Freaky ending.

Todd

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:19 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

That movie scared the ever-livin' piss out of me. I had to take the TV out of my room for a couple of nights after that, and my roommate and I took down the oval mirror that hung between our rooms. I don't usually get scared at horror movies, but good god that movie was freaky...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #3
Travis
Pro Rookie

If you liked that, find the original
Old 03-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
Easy Mac

Before i saw that movie, I used my TV as my alarm clock.

I got out of the movie at 11, and went to Wal-mart to get an alarm clock.

And on a weird note, the phone rang at my apartment at exactly 11 O'clock a week later... of course it was for another dude in my apartment, but scared me shitless for like 5 seconds.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
couriers

Quickly becomeing my favorite movie of the year so far. Highly impressed. Check out The Ring FAQ for some interesting information.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:25 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis

I saw it at Blockbuster last night and nearly rented it. Guess that I need to go ahead and get it...

Old 03-25-2003, 11:32 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thought it was good until the last 20 min or so. I felt like they just gave up on the movie and made it like every other horror flick. In fact the ending really pissed me off, and I was enjoying it until then. Signs scared me a whole lot more than this one did.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:43 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Ring was pretty good but I couldn't shake the feeling that this was a cheesy horror movie until about halfway through once they started piecing together a story.

Then again, I have weird taste in horror movies. My favorites of the last 10 years are Event Horizon, Pitch Black, and Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Even Horizon was another one that scared the hell out of me. I watched it one night alone in a dark house, thinking that it was a sci-fi movie. I had trouble sleeping that night...

Old 03-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

I didn't get the ending until someone explained it too me. But I laugh at horror movies. Except Jason goes to hell. I swear my closet doors where opening. It was freaky when she crawled and her nails looked wierd. I just dont like body parts doing wierd things

Oh ya, is it bad when Ernest Scared Stupid kinda freaked me out?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have Event Horizon, That is one hell of a scary movie. I watch it over and over and each time wind up saying " This movie is F***ed up!"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:59 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ah yes, I forgot about Event Horizon. I think that's what turned me off of other people's blood. Cant stand the sight of it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:32 AM   #13
User #2735
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
I didn't think Ringu was as good as the remake. The Ring seemed to have a more vibrant environment and I thought it brought the original to a much more suspenseful level. The differences in quality are probably a result of the budget differences between the two films (Ringu was made for about $1 mil). Anyway, I saw Ringu a few years ago and really enjoyed The Ring when I caught it in the theatre, but I doubt I would have liked Ringu as much if I had saw The Ring first.

But I would recommend watching Ringu as part of the original trilogy...Ringu, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0 (the prequel).
User #2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:37 AM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The movie didnt do much for me. Ill check out the orginial
Old 03-26-2003, 04:58 AM   #15
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I liked the ring, but haven't seen event horizon. I'll have to check that out.

I love spooky movies. I'm actually looking forward to Ghost Ship when it comes out on DVD this Friday.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:05 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought "The Ring" was pretty good. Definitely spooky. It was all that one scene... When the mother opened the closet and found her dead daughter and the daughter's head slumped forward. The mishapen head. Scared the bejeesus out of me.

That ranks up there with the shot of the guy standing in the corner facing the wall at the end of "Blair Witch" and the spider-crawl scene in the "Exorcist" re-release.

As for good "horror" flicks. I wrote down a list of movies that were well-reviewed (according to Rottentomatoes.com).

Haven't seen any of them, but here you go:

Dog Soldiers (a friend says it sucks, but dunno)
Frailty
Devil's Backbone
Wendigo
Session 9
Donnie Darko
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:08 AM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

Agreed with HB. The scene of the daughter in the closet pretty much put me on the edge of the seat for the rest of the movie. Probably the most frightening movie corpse I've ever seen.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:01 AM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

couriers,

Thanks for the site with the faq. Some good stuff in there that explains alot.

Session 9 freaked me out as well, good movie recommended by someone from here. I heard Frailty is good too, I think it's next up on my list.

Todd
Old 03-26-2003, 01:57 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Agreed with HB. The scene of the daughter in the closet pretty much put me on the edge of the seat for the rest of the movie. Probably the most frightening movie corpse I've ever seen.

I agree. I think the reason it was so scary was the fact that they showed it for just a fraction of a second. You couldn't stare at it and see for yourself that it was fake or anything...

God, just talking about the movie gives me chills, and it's probably been a good three or four months since I saw the movie...

Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #20
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
couriers,

Thanks for the site with the faq. Some good stuff in there that explains alot.

Session 9 freaked me out as well, good movie recommended by someone from here. I heard Frailty is good too, I think it's next up on my list.

Todd

Session 9 was a good flick, the ending haunted me the most, the fly over shot with the voice on the taperecorder talking...

The way the voice said "Doc" was disturbing in itself.

Frailty was good too, a nice set of twists to it (one obvious, one not) so it was nice.

The Ring was very good, I wasn't frightened of it, and everything in it was pretty easy to understand, still a good movie.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #21
Laddin
Mascot

I saw it...thought it was really spooky up until the ending...it was like they said, well we got some more film left...so just keep rolling.

Another similar movie was Jeeper's Creepers. One half of a good movie, then it just went too bizarre for my taste.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:12 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

In my opinion Jeepers Creepers totally sucked. My girlfriend and I walked out of the theatre kicking ourselves for wasting the twelve bucks we spent to see it...

Old 03-27-2003, 01:14 PM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
In my opinion Jeepers Creepers totally sucked. My girlfriend and I walked out of the theatre kicking ourselves for wasting the twelve bucks we spent to see it...

It was absolutely horrible. The guy was the worst actor I've ever seen.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:22 PM   #24
Laddin
Mascot

Quote:

Well you gotta admit the BEATINGU was kinda funny.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:38 AM   #25
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

My wife I rented The Ring on PPV last week. Geez, it definitely creeped me out but it scared the ever-living crap out of my wife. She won't even let me discuss it.

By the way, Naomi Watts is babe-a-licious. Yum.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:47 AM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar

By the way, Naomi Watts is babe-a-licious. Yum.

Word.

Though given what passes for "taste" in this motely lot, she'd probably be the first one voted off in one of those "babe survivor" polls. The choices have been attrocious!
Old 04-25-2003, 10:48 AM   #27
Blade
College Prospect

I have to say that I am not a fan of horror movies, as I am not one who likes to be scared out of my mind...but I have enjoyed them in the past. I will have to give this one a rent.

Speaking of Event Horizon though, I still get nightmares about that. My friend and I went and saw it in theatre the first week it was out, thinking it was a pure sci-fi flick. The next 2 hours were some of the scariest and most disturbing of my life...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade
I have to say that I am not a fan of horror movies, as I am not one who likes to be scared out of my mind...but I have enjoyed them in the past. I will have to give this one a rent.

Speaking of Event Horizon though, I still get nightmares about that. My friend and I went and saw it in theatre the first week it was out, thinking it was a pure sci-fi flick. The next 2 hours were some of the scariest and most disturbing of my life...

This is totally off topic, but it reminds of when I went to see "Saving Private Ryan" for the first time. I was with a friend of mine who cannot stand violence or gore. It's not the he's against it, it just makes him sick. He passed out during the "needle in the chest" scene in "Pulp Fiction." He just doesn't handle it well.

So, we're in line for the movie, and he furrows his brow and asks "This is war movie. Think it will be excesssively violent and gory?"

I laugh and shake my head, "No. Come on, it's Spielberg. How violent can it be?"

Approximately 18 minutes into the movie, in the middle of what is one of the best, though goriest, battle scenes ever filmed, I think, "Oh sh*t." I turn and look over. There is my friend, slack-jawed, pale as a ghost, a shivering mess.

Poor guy.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:14 AM   #29
Blade
College Prospect

Ouch...that has got to suck...

I have never been one who has been sickened by gore or violence...just being scared sh*tless is something that I just do not like...

Whenever I actually drag myself out to see a horror movie, I end up laughing more often than not...Blair Witch coming to mind.

However, I was freaked out by Signs, then ran out and bought it the next day. It is now one of my favorite movies!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

That's where we differ, Blade. I thought that Signs was decent, but it didn't freak me out at all. Blair Witch, on the other hand, did a really good job of spooking me, especially the ending...

Old 04-25-2003, 12:14 PM   #31
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Re: The Ring? (Spoiler alert)

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
Anyone see that movie? Spookie. I still have chills after watching it tonight with my wife and some friends.

We actually started getting up after the Noah kissed Rachel and left. Freaky ending.

Todd

I saw the movie. In fact I have the DVD. That movie scared me so much that when I recently watched Ghost Ship, I almost laughed. I thought it was scary. Not. Anyone out there who hasn't seen The Ring, watch it. No other movie will ever scare you again. Except maybe The Exorcist.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #32
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I don't watch horror flicks that much, but I have seen Event Horizon. While it didn't give me nightmares, it is definitely not for the faint-of-heart. I saw it with my wife when we were dating and she screamed a few times during the movie. She's never wanted to see it since. I can't imagine why.

Best line: "Hell is just a name. The reality is much worse."
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:45 PM   #33
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Dog Soldiers (a friend says it sucks, but dunno)
Frailty
Devil's Backbone
Wendigo
Session 9
Donnie Darko

Frailty was enjoyable

Wendigo...not horrid...but close

Session 9..uhh..not great

Donnie Darko i enjoyed..but the wife did'nt

If ya wanna see a weird gruesome movie....Try audition.....japanese movie....but the ending is F'ED up....don't watch this if you are squemish.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #34
bbor
Pro Starter

DOLA...

BTW....The Changling...with that F'n rubber ball bouncing down the steps is the scariest movie ever.

Those of you that have seen in know the scene i am taling about.If that did'nt make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up...well..then you must be dead

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:42 PM   #35
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Frailty was good.

I liked Session 9...it was creepy in a realistic way. I was scared when the guy was in the asylum at night (who wouldn't be freaked out?)...the interview on tape was disturbing...and the final reality was scary too, because it does happen, people snap.

The Exorcist was scary with the new scene (specifically the spider walk)
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:53 PM   #36
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
DOLA...

BTW....The Changling...with that F'n rubber ball bouncing down the steps is the scariest movie ever.

Those of you that have seen in know the scene i am taling about.If that did'nt make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up...well..then you must be dead

Yup - best scene in a great movie. It helped make it moreso for me because I know the bridge he dropped the ball off!

The Ring actually has hints of The Changeling in it, don't you agree?
Old 04-25-2003, 09:20 PM   #37
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
The Ring actually has hints of The Changeling in it, don't you agree?

Same creep factor....i agree

Old 04-25-2003, 10:44 PM   #38
AgPete
College Prospect

I just have one question - Is the betamax version of the movie they watch in The Ring also haunted?

It was a creepy movie but damn did I have a hard time accepting that a VHS cassette could be possessed.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

Hmm, I wonder if that movie would be easier to watch or scarier when your drunk? My girl and I were going to rewatch The Matrix tonight in anticipation of the new one, but maybe I'll have her get The Ring so we can rewatch it...

Old 04-25-2003, 11:35 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if that movie would be easier to watch or scarier when your drunk? My girl and I were going to rewatch The Matrix tonight in anticipation of the new one, but maybe I'll have her get The Ring so we can rewatch it...

I rewatched the Matrix last weekend (and snagged the second Harry Potter while I was at it since I was curious). Well worth the 99c rental. Makes me want to see the new one that much more.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-25-2003 at 11:36 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:00 AM   #41
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by AgPete
I just have one question - Is the betamax version of the movie they watch in The Ring also haunted?

It was a creepy movie but damn did I have a hard time accepting that a VHS cassette could be possessed.

The actual explanation is much more detailed than just a "possessed" VHS cassette. Go to the FAQ posted above by Couriers. It gives you the low-down.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:36 AM   #42
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Honestly, I have not rented or seen a movie in OVER a year because of my schedule. I have an event to go to today (which means I miss the draft) but last night I rented, based on the views of the board:
Frailty
Session 9
The Ring

I only had time to watch one (I have the rentals for a week) so I picked Frailty. Mostly because it was based in Texas and has 3 Texans in it, Powers Boothe, Mathew whats his name, and Bill Paxton.

Well, it could be just me, but it wasn't very good. Even the twist at the ending wasn't that good, and it dragged on and on. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Tomorrow I will watch The Ring or Session 9, not sure which yet.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:42 AM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tomorrow I will watch The Ring or Session 9, not sure which yet.

Both of these are quite good, imo.

Todd
Old 05-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

Got around to watching Session 9 last night, and while it was certainly spooky, it didn't really get me. Part of it was the fact that I was really confused by the last half hour. I wasn't sure if Gordon had split personalities, if he was just psycho, or if...David Caruso's character...was the killer. My girlfriend and I were totally confused until we watched the deleated scenes with the commentary on, and that helped clear everything up.

So my overall impression was that it was a spooky flick, but rather confusing...

Old 05-03-2003, 06:00 PM   #45
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

hmm

weird, I watched this movie a couple times so far, and I just wasn't scared that much, It was an excellent movie for sure, one that I am gonna buy real soon, but the scariness dissapointed me.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:34 PM   #46
astralhaze
College Prospect

For those of you who like Naomi Watts, check out "Mulholland Drive." Not only is it a great movie, but there is a very hot lesbian sene.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:36 PM   #47
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
For those of you who like Naomi Watts, check out "Mulholland Drive." Not only is it a great movie, but there is a very hot lesbian sene.

Damn straight...

Old 05-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

I just rented The Ring last night. Usually, I'm hard to freak out, but somehow this movie got to me. Even the opening, where you're just waiting to see how the girl will die, freaked me out. Then when they showed her corpse for just a second, that gave me quite a jolt! Good movie. Better than Signs in my opinion.

Spoiler

Last edited by Kodos : 01-02-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:40 PM   #49
astralhaze
College Prospect

The religion thing in Signs really really turned me off. Now, I don't mind religious themes in movies. That said, this one was just waaaaaay too preachy for my taste.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:41 PM   #50
KWhit
Coordinator

Kodos, I'm glad I already saw Signs cause you just gave away the whole movie. You might wanna do a Signs spoiler alert warning on your post or something.

I get kind of nuts when people blow a movie for me.

Last edited by KWhit : 05-03-2003 at 10:41 PM.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote