Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Ping: NHL fans

So legit question here -- what is your opinion of the San Jose Sharks?

I'm a Sharks junkie, but I really don't follow the NHL that much. I know the rules and all, but I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to strategy, talent evaluation, etc (at least compared to the other major sports). Because of this, I'm trying to get an unbiased opinion of my team -- basically because I can't figure them out for the life of me.

We seem to be an amazing road team, and yet can't win consistently at home. Which is weird, because the Shark Tank is one of the noisiest arenas I've ever been in. Just looking over the roster, and seeing how we've been doing, I think we have what must be one of the strongest teams in the NHL...but we can't seem to take that next step to actually PERFORM like an elite team. We have all the pieces...Thornton = freaking amazing, Nabokov is a fantastic goalie, and we seem to have an incredible supporting cast (Michalek, Rivet, Marleau, Cheechoo, Roenick). What needs to change? Or is my opinion of these guys vastly overblown?

Anyhow, just curious as to what others might think of the Sharks.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

NHL thread thnx
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I absolutely hate the Sharks. They are right there with the Yotes and Oilers as my most hated teams in the NHL. So I'm not entirely unbiased.

I think they have a lot of young talent that could use "quality" veteran leadership. Guys like Nolan or Ricci of all people were good examples of this from past Sharks teams. I have never gotten the impression that Joe Thornton, for all as amazing as he is, that he was a leader of a tough playoff team. Or Marleau. Or Cheechoo. And Euros don't ever end up in that role, so you can count out Michalek or Nabakov. Roenick because of "quality". Wrong point of his career, and not the type of leader you want, IMO.

Lacking that leader gives you problems with consistency and in the playoffs and in gutting out the tough wins. I also think you need a stronger checking line and your blueline could use more veteran grit. And you need to get older. Bernier, Michalek and company need to grow more.

In NHL parlances, the Sharks are a "soft" team. Not that they get pushed around like Ottawa used to. But they are the slick skating, high-scoring team. Not the tough, in your face team. So when they play the West teams that are that way, like the Ducks, Stars, Wild, Wings, etc. I think it hurts them a bit.

All that said, the Sharks are the kind of team that you could argue they are that proverbial "one piece" away from getting it. And when that happens, they could be exceptional.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

Need to add a veteran defenseman, otherwise I don't see a deep run into the playoffs. Doug Murray and to a lesser extent Rob Davison are dinosaurs - Murray single handedly lost a game against the Ducks the other week - and Vlasic and Carle are good but inexperienced. I don't like Ozolinsh's game and he's getting on a bit which leaves Rivet and McLaren as the only dependable defensemen on the team (and McLaren has been benched recently for his inconsistent play I believe). That might be fine in the regular season but it's not going to win in the playoffs, especially against the Red Wings.

Other than that, I concur they are a pretty good team. Right now I think they would shade the Ducks in a seven game series, but the Ducks are improving.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Other than that, I concur they are a pretty good team. Right now I think they would shade the Ducks in a seven game series, but the Ducks are improving.

I generally agree with you, bhlloy, except for this. No way do the Sharks beat the Ducks in a seven game right now. Maybe the November Ducks. Not the one now, at least not when fully healthy. And I think we're going to get Teemu back soon, too.

I don't see the Sharks as they are now having any more luck against the Ducks than the Wings.

Although tonight's game against the Flamers was disgusting and stupid.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
In NHL parlances, the Sharks are a "soft" team. Not that they get pushed around like Ottawa used to. But they are the slick skating, high-scoring team. Not the tough, in your face team. So when they play the West teams that are that way, like the Ducks, Stars, Wild, Wings, etc. I think it hurts them a bit.

What he said.

To use another cliche (since I just posted the trite trophy thread), they aren't built to play teams that are "very physical".
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think the only "leadership" Roenick provides is to show the young guys on the team how to scream at the ref from the penalty box after he's been unfairly nabbed for penalty. I remember a game a few weeks ago against the Avs where he got called for high sticking - it was an obvious and easy call to make, and it's not like high sticking can be disputed. But he goes off kicking and screaming as always, no doubt telling the ref that a one-armed man set him up.

Later that game, one of the young guys on the team (can't recall who) got a penalty, and did the same act - screaming at the ref from the open door of the penalty box. That's leadership.

I agree with both of the Duck fans - the Sharks can use a bit of toughness, leadership (hint: someone better than Bill Guerin), and some help at defense.

I don't know where the Sharks are capwise, but Rob Blake said yesterday he may be open to waiving his NTC (to a Denver reporter - there's speculation that the Avs might bring him back to salvage their brutal PP). As much as I'd like to see him back in Colorado, I could see him fitting in nicely with San Jose .
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Vince
Pro Starter

Seems to be a lot of the same problems we've had in recent years...well, here's hoping they can pull some trade magic again.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Big T
H.S. Freshman Team

The Sharks.........bite.

Sincerely,

A Vancouver Canucks fan.

On a serious note, any team with Joe Thornton is a good one. The Sharks GM sent the Bruins back 5 years with that fleecing.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote