Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So what exactly does a Godfather do?

I don't mean the movie in which case would be extremely cool but...

A friend of mine is pregnant and has mentioned me as being a potential godfather. So what exactly does a godfather do?

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Basically spoil the kid. Varies I;d assume on relationship to said child. I'm Godfather of my Nephew so I am more apt to spoiling him.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Doesn't it mean you're taking care of the kid if the parents die?

Last edited by molson : 12-27-2007 at 09:30 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Doesn't it mean you're taking care of the kid if the parents die?

that's kind of what I'm afraid of. I'm barely responsible for myself as any reader of the drunk guy thread knows...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

Buy the child the expensive gifts the parents refuse to buy

Seriously, it all depends on the background. Of course you will stand up at the child's baptism. Traditionally, you would be expected to assist the parents in the child's religious growth. In my family, it has been more about who you would want to raise your children in the event both parents passed away.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I don't mean the movie in which case would be extremely cool but...

A friend of mine is pregnant and has mentioned me as being a potential godfather. So what exactly does a godfather do?

Most likely, it would be to have another male figure in the child's life as he grows up and to make sure the child's best interests are thought of if something happens to the parents.

Its not a legal position, though, so if they do intend to give you any legal power should something happen to them they'd have to put it in their wills.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

You make his enemies offers they can't refuse.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Please let me know when your daughter's wedding day is. You have some shit I want.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, and it's been a couple summers now since my daughters were baptised, the Godparents are responsible for the spiritual well being of the child, should something happen to the parents or their ability to do such. At least that's what I took out of it, it seems like some deep shit/

Last edited by stevew : 12-27-2007 at 10:36 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola,

That may have been the "Catholic" definitition, not sure if their are more than that in other faiths.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Please let me know when your daughter's wedding day is. You have some shit I want.

daughters? Hell I'm 23...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think it varies based on the family. The most important function is the spiritual growth of the child. I'm a Godfather to one of my cousins and I've stood up at his Baptism and tried to be involved in important religious ceremonies (hard to do at times when you are 1500 plus miles away) but I strongly doubt that his parents would want me to raise him if they both passed away. That would more likely fall to his maternal grandparents who are relatively young. That being said, if you are concerned about this being a possible responsibility, ask them if that is part of what they are requesting if they actually do request you to be the Godfather.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-28-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #13
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Technically you would share the responsibility of the Spiritual side of the child's life, however unless the family is really religious, it's most times just a "honorary" type position - like saying "you are really important to us but not family so we are giving you this title" kind of thing. At which case it becomes spoiling the kid rotten and getting to be called Uncle GreyRooFoo, which does have a nice ring to it

Edit: Meant to also add that if they want you to be a guardian should something happen to them, it must be in a will...simply being Godfather to the kid doesn't do anything regarding custody. If they didn't have a will, then a grandparent or blood relative would be asked to take care of the child.

Last edited by oliegirl : 12-28-2007 at 09:31 AM.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

All 3 of my children have godparents. Two of them have the same godparents, a friend and her husband whom are really good friends of my wife. Our middle daughter has godparents that really have nothing to do with us, they use to be friends of my wife's as well but because we moved we rarely speak to them anymore. Godparents don't have to be related or married, but the point of having them is pretty much like some of the other people said in this thread. It just depends on what the parents are looking for. It could be religious, financial, or just for honorary reasons. Regardless of the reason, you have no legal interaction with the child unless it is in their will.

My advice: Embrace it and spoil the kid rotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

In some parts of this country Godfather's make below average pizza and sell it.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

I haven't seen much of my Godfather since I was 9 or 10.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Logan
Head Coach

Take all of the advice given if it ends up being your godson. Provide advice, support, throw him a few bucks from time to time. If you have a goddaughter, your job becomes simple: keep her off the pole.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

lol
Old 12-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
JS19
College Prospect

I recently become a godfather, 6 weeks ago actually. It is my cousin and her husbands son. We are in no way a "religous" bunch. My understanding is that it's mostly an honorary type thing, being that I'm a 23 yr old college student and in no position to assume parenting duties if something were to happen. I believe my position is to give the kid adivce, which is something i think I can do pretty well having learned from the many mistakes I have made in the past, as well as spoiling him when his parents wont, and helping provide for him in any way, shape or form. Something I decided to do was set up an account. Put away between $40-$80 a month, and when he turns 18 he will have between $10,000-$20,000, probably somewhere in the middle. Personally, I would have no problem with him going to Vegas for a night and having a great time, but I suppose it would better served contributing towards college or maybe a car.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
korme
Go Reds

That's really cool of you JS. I hope you stick to it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #21
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Don't ask me about my business, Kay!
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #22
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

For Catholics, where the role originated, it is a sponsor for the child in baptism, communion and confirmation. It should be a practicing Catholic who will be there to help guide the child if the parents fail to do so. Basically if it is someone in an invalid marriage or not going to mass regularly, they likely are not going to support the child in doing something they do not practice themselves.

In reality, it seems to be more of an honorary thing as mention by others. I am my niece's godfather and at the dinner afterwards, the priest told me my job was to give her a present on her birthday and baptism day going forward. He said it jokingly, but all the same that is likely what it boils down to nowadays.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote