Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
molson
General Manager

Academy Award Nominees

Reading this list tells me I've spent way too much time and money at the theater this year. I've seen almost everything.

1. Best Picture: "Avatar," "The Blind Side," "District 9," "An Education," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire," "A Serious Man," "Up," "Up in the Air."

2. Actor: Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"; George Clooney, "Up in the Air"; Colin Firth, "A Single Man"; Morgan Freeman, "Invictus"; Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker."

3. Actress: Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"; Helen Mirren, "The Last Station"; Carey Mulligan, "An Education"; Gabourey Sidibe, "Precious: Based on the Novel `Push' by Sapphire"; Meryl Streep, "Julie & Julia."

4. Supporting Actor: Matt Damon, "Invictus"; Woody Harrelson, "The Messenger"; Christopher Plummer, "The Last Station"; Stanley Tucci, "The Lovely Bones"; Christoph Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds."

5. Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Nine"; Vera Farmiga, "Up in the Air"; Maggie Gyllenhaal, "Crazy Heart"; Anna Kendrick, "Up in the Air"; Mo'Nique, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire."

6. Directing: James Cameron, "Avatar"; Kathryn Bigelow, "The Hurt Locker"; Quentin Tarantino, "Inglourious Basterds"; Lee Daniels, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"; Jason Reitman, "Up in the Air."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Ajami," Israel; "El Secreto de Sus Ojos," Argentina; "The Milk of Sorrow," Peru; "Un Prophete," France; "The White Ribbon," Germany.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell, "District 9"; Nick Hornby, "An Education"; Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche, "In the Loop"; Geoffrey Fletcher, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"; Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, "Up in the Air."

9. Original Screenplay: Mark Boal, "The Hurt Locker"; Quentin Tarantino, "Inglourious Basterds"; Alessandro Camon and Oren Moverman, "The Messenger"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "A Serious Man"; Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, Tom McCarthy, "Up."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Coraline"; "Fantastic Mr. Fox"; "The Princess and the Frog"; "The Secret of Kells"; "Up."

11. Art Direction: "Avatar," "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," "Nine," "Sherlock Holmes," "The Young Victoria."

12. Cinematography: "Avatar," "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "The White Ribbon."

13. Sound Mixing: "Avatar," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "Star Trek," "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

14. Sound Editing: "Avatar," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "Star Trek," "Up."

15. Original Score: "Avatar," James Horner; "Fantastic Mr. Fox," Alexandre Desplat; "The Hurt Locker," Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders; "Sherlock Holmes," Hans Zimmer; "Up," Michael Giacchino.

16. Original Song: "Almost There" from "The Princess and the Frog," Randy Newman; "Down in New Orleans" from "The Princess and the Frog," Randy Newman; "Loin de Paname" from "Paris 36," Reinhardt Wagner and Frank Thomas; "Take It All" from "Nine," Maury Yeston; "The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)" from "Crazy Heart," Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett.

17. Costume: "Bright Star," "Coco Before Chanel," "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," "Nine," "The Young Victoria."

18. Documentary Feature: "Burma VJ," "The Cove," "Food, Inc." "The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers," "Which Way Home."

19. Documentary (short subject): "China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province," "The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner," "The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant," "Music by Prudence," "Rabbit a la Berlin."

20. Film Editing: "Avatar," "District 9," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire."

21. Makeup: "Il Divo," "Star Trek," "The Young Victoria."

22. Animated Short Film: "French Roast," "Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty," "The Lady and the Reaper (La Dama y la Muerte)," "Logorama," "A Matter of Loaf and Death."

23. Live Action Short Film: "The Door," "Instead of Abracadabra," "Kavi," "Miracle Fish," "The New Tenants."

24. Visual Effects: "Avatar," "District 9," "Star Trek."

Last edited by molson : 02-02-2010 at 10:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I haven't see many of these films yet. But I hate the 10 film race for best picture. I think that's way too many selections and overkill. It's like putting Boise State in the BCS.

And Christoph Waltz needs to win, he was absolutely brilliant.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Swaggs
Coordinator

Skimming over the list, I think I only saw Avatar and the Blind Side. I really liked both, but I'm not sure they were Best Picture types of movies (although the 3D and the effects in Avatar are pretty revolutionary, so I can see it gaining merit there).

I thought Sandra Bullock did pretty well with her Blind Side role -- I wasn't think "that's Sandra Bullock" the whole time -- but it was still pretty formulaic and I didn't think her Southern accent was outstanding.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Avatar and Precious were both quite good IMO. I loved the soundtrack for The Princess and The Frog, so I'm pleased to see it get love.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

I hate the ten picture thing just because the only reason I see is giving more movies the ability to say "Oscar Nominated!" You can cut five movies out of that list, as was done every year.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Rizon
Pro Starter

District 9? Really? That movie was epic cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
District 9? Really? That movie was epic cheese.

I thought it was one of the better movies of the year myself.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Was Invictus that bad? Only one nod for Freedman

I always enjoy looking at how the nom's reflect the mood. Last year, seemed to be all about individual redemption. This year looks like fear and loathing of the outsider.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

WTF. I thought it was one of the most retarded movies I've ever seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

Matt Damon Best Supporting Actor nom

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Matt Damon Best Supporting Actor nom

Oh yeah,,, so good acting weak script, directing, writing? I didn't see it but it looked good. I know Eastwood can be totally great (letters to iwo jima) and a total mess (flags of our fathers)
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

How many nods did you expect him to get?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I hope something other than Avatar wins Best Picture, I enjoyed it but most of that was due to how it looked. The rest of it was kind of average.

Of the ten nominees I've only seen four (Avatar, District 9, Blind Side, Inglourious Basterds) and thought they were all at least pretty good, Inglourious Basterds was the best of those imo. I'm going to try and see a few more before the awards are doled out, starting with Up tonight. Three of them won't be on Netflix in time but I might yet go and see Up in the Air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickVic

Yeah, it's quite good. Better than Avatar for sure, if a science fiction/action movie is going to win an Oscar this year (doubtful) it should be District 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
And Christoph Waltz needs to win, he was absolutely brilliant.

Word.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I absolutely hope District 9 does not win. That would be so horrible in my mind, it was such a disappointing movie.

Of the ones that I have seen, honestly none of them are best picture quality, but I haven't seen them all obviously. I've only seen:

1. Best Picture: "Avatar," "District 9," "Inglourious Basterds," "Up,"

Of those 4, honestly I thought Up was the best picture of the 4, but it won't ever win this award.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In a field of 10, I can't believe Star Trek didn't sneak in. I'm not a trekker by any means, but I thought that was an excellent movie.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
In a field of 10, I can't believe Star Trek didn't sneak in. I'm not a trekker by any means, but I thought that was an excellent movie.

I actually agree. I'm probably not as huge a Science Fiction fan as most here, but I definitely enjoyed Star Trek a bunch more than District 9 if you are going to have a science fiction movie on there. I still wouldn't say Star Trek is best picture quality though, but honestly I'm not sure which of those movies are.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
dervack
College Prospect

Up in the Air was very good and the one I want to see win Best Picture. I haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, so that opinion might change. I just hope Dances With Wolves 2 doesn't win. I probably will be seeing Crazy Heart tonight.

On a related note, I find it weird that the movie named Best Comedy/Musical at the Golden Globes didn't get a nomination. Was it an Oscar worthy movie? No, but it was more worthy than District 9 IMO.

Last edited by dervack : 02-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I actually agree. I'm probably not as huge a Science Fiction fan as most here, but I definitely enjoyed Star Trek a bunch more than District 9 if you are going to have a science fiction movie on there. I still wouldn't say Star Trek is best picture quality though, but honestly I'm not sure which of those movies are.

*head explodes*
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
*head explodes*

I'm probably in the minority on it, but just my feelings. I don't tend to end up enjoying the "cool pick" type movies that everyone adores like District 9 that much. I was the same way with Paranormal Activity too which everyone loved. They just aren't as entertaining to me as more mainstream movies.

Just my feelings I suppose

Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't see many of these films yet. But I hate the 10 film race for best picture. I think that's way too many selections and overkill.

+1

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
revrew
Team Chaplain

I, for one, was not that impressed with "Up in the Air," certainly not for that many acting nods.

I'd support an oddball choice: Meryll Streep in "Julie & Julia" - that was an AMAZING acting performance.

I haven't seen "Hurt Locker" yet, but given that group, I'd probably cheer for it. Anything but "Avatar." Please. Great CGI does not make up for lousy script and forgettable-to-poor acting in a Best Picture-worthy film.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
Pyser
Pro Rookie

up in the air is severely overrated, in my mind.

it was passably entertaining, certainly not 3 acting nominations, best director and best picture worthy

sad 500 days of summer got no writing love.

love seeing a serious man get a nomination, but the main actor got ROBBED (screw you, clooney)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
dervack
College Prospect

I hope Kathryn Bigelow wins Best Director so she'd get the win over her Ex.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

Avatar is probably going to sweep... but of those movies that I've seen, I'd have to say Up was the best one. And I really, really liked Inglorious Basterds, Up in the Air, and District 9.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Avatar is probably going to sweep... but of those movies that I've seen, I'd have to say Up was the best one. And I really, really liked Inglorious Basterds, Up in the Air, and District 9.

Up is the ONLY one of those movies I've seen.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 02-02-2010 at 02:09 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #26
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I thought the whole point of going to 10 nominees was so that you could get semi-decent blockbusters like Star Trek into the list.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #27
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The Hurt Locker was great, and I'd be all over it as either best picture or best director. It was INTENSE from start to finish. Renner as best actor wouldn't even be a stretch. It was that good of a movie. The Bigelow over Cameron story line is just a bonus.

Oh and Christopher Waltz's name should already be inscribed on the Best Supporting Actor award. That was a special performance, and frankly I'm surprised it didn't merit a Best Actor nod. Brilliant.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #28
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not a big movie watcher, but have to say I'm disappointed 2012 didn't get any nominations in the "art and technical" categories. The destruction scenes in that movie were just incredible.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
The Hurt Locker was great, and I'd be all over it as either best picture or best director. It was INTENSE from start to finish. Renner as best actor wouldn't even be a stretch. It was that good of a movie. The Bigelow over Cameron story line is just a bonus.

Oh and Christopher Waltz's name should already be inscribed on the Best Supporting Actor award. That was a special performance, and frankly I'm surprised it didn't merit a Best Actor nod. Brilliant.

Agreed, movie was outstanding. First Blu-Ray movie I've purchased.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The only one of the Best Picture nominees I've seen in it's entirety is "A Serious Man". I liked it, but it's not gonna win. I agree with Pyser's statement about the lead actor in it.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #31
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

A Serious Man, Inglorious, and Up in the Air were all great films.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh yeah,,, so good acting weak script, directing, writing? I didn't see it but it looked good. I know Eastwood can be totally great (letters to iwo jima) and a total mess (flags of our fathers)

Invictus was a bizarre movie. Freeman portrayed Mandela brilliantly. Damon was good but it wasn't one of my favorit performances from him. The thing that was missing from Invictus...plain and simple...you end up not caring about the guys on the team. Other than Damon and the one black player there is no storyline on any of them and the storyline on the black player is dreadfully low compared to what it should be. By the time they win, it's just ho-hum. The payoff isn't there like it is in Hoosiers or in Miracle. I thought Freeman was great and well worth being nominated. Anything more than that is a bonus.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #33
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I thought the whole point of going to 10 nominees was so that you could get semi-decent blockbusters like Star Trek into the list.

We got some decent sized blockbusters in this year. even if you don't count the behemoth Avatar (which I imagine would have gotten in with 5) Up certainly made it in because of the 10 noms as did District 9. 9 outta the 10 came through my granted large city in the South. And most of them for quite a while (I think only An education was a short time film here) granted that the Hurt Locker and Precious did not start out big but they have been here a while. And Certainly the Blind Side was relatively big (and most certainly would not be in with 5 nominees)
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I'd support an oddball choice: Meryll Streep in "Julie & Julia" - that was an AMAZING acting performance.

Oddball choice?

Here is a list of awards and nominations that Streep has already won for that role:

Wins:
Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress
North Texas Film Critics Award for Best Actress
Golden Globe Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
New York Film Critics Online
New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress also for The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Actress
San Francisco Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress
Southeastern Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress
Oklahoma Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress
Satellite Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress
Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress (tied with Sandra Bullock)

Nominations:
Nominated — Academy Award for Best Actress
Nominated — Alliance of Woman Journalists Award for Best Actress
Nominated — BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
Nominated — Detroit Film Critics Society Award for Best Actress
Nominated — Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Nominated — San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Actress
Nominated — Houston Film Critics Society Award for Best Actress
Nominated — St Louis Gateway Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress
Nominated — Toronto Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress
Nominated — Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association for Best Actress

Meryl Streep is never the "oddball choice" when it comes to the Oscars. She's Meryl Streep!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

District 9, Up, and Avatar are the only three movies I've seen out of the Best Picture category. I'd say "Up" was the best of the three, but that will win Best Animated film, not Best Film.

"Hurt Locker" is en route to my place. I am looking forward to it. It'd be cool to see Kathryn Bigelow win. She directed "Near Dark" after all. Not to mention "Point Break"!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Cuckoo
College Starter

I've actually seen a lot of those nominated this year. Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds are easily my favorites on the list, both excellent films that I wouldn't have any problem winning. I enjoyed District 9 but am surprised to see it get nominated over Star Trek. If I had to pick more of a popcorn flick, I'm taking ST over District 9.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #37
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
If I had to pick more of a popcorn flick, I'm taking ST over District 9.

Actually, I would put "Zombieland" as my favorite popcorn flick of the year. ST was good, but was lacking in parts, ie a good villian.

From the Best Picture list, I have seen "Avatar," "The Blind Side," "District 9," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," and "Up," with some more on the way. "Avatar" and "The Blind Side" are the weakest films, but that's being obvious.

I'm disappointed "Chance of Meatballs" didn't get more love. Likely the funniest movie I saw all year and that's including "The Hangover," which IMO was funny, but overrated.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #38
path12
Coordinator

I don't mind District 9 being on the list so much as The Blind Side (really???).

I still need to see Up, An Education and A Serious Man but have seen the rest, so with that caveat my top two are "Inglorious Basterds" and "Hurt Locker". I'd really like to see Tarantino win, that was such a great movie.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #39
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I liked An Education. Alfred Molina was very good, and Carey Mulligan deserved her nomination.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #40
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The worst nomination was Matt Damon as Supporting Actor. there was nothing realy wrong with his performance, but it was pretty bland and certainly not as memorable as many of his other performance. The fact that he got nominated for this but not for his masterful work in The Talented Mr. Ripley is a travesty.

The nicest surprise was the Cinematography nomination for Harry Potter. I was not expecting that, but it was richly deserving.

The worst snub was 500 Days getting completely shut out, even in screenwriting. Lame.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll comment more when I get home later on, but I'll second that 500 Days should have gotten more love.

Also, I thought Rockwell was terrific in Moon.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #42
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'll comment more when I get home later on, but I'll second that 500 Days should have gotten more love.

Also, I thought Rockwell was terrific in Moon.

Agreed.

Poor Sundance films.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Rockwell was great in Moon, but I never thought he had a shot at the Oscar. He didn't win any pre-Oscar awards or get a Golden Globe nomination, so it wasn't a surprise. He certainly deserved a nomination, though.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #44
Subby
lolzcat

No Zach Galifinakis? WTF?

Star Trek was brilliant. Pretty surprised it didn't get more love.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
No Zach Galifinakis? WTF?

Agreed. I was thinking he got snubbed but I didn't know how to spell his last name.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #46
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Agreed. I was thinking he got snubbed but I didn't know how to spell his last name.

That didn't stop Subby (it's Galifianakis fwiw).

Loved the Hangover (and Galifianakis) but stuff like that never gets a look for any Oscars.

As for Best Picture, I've seen all but Avatar, An Education, Precious and A Serious Man. Out of those I've seen, I'm cheering for one of: Inglourious Basterds, Up in the Air or Hurt Locker. Blind Side was a decent movie but def not top 5 material. Same w/ District 9. Also enjoyed Up, but not sure how that will do.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"The Blind Side" over "(500) Days of Summer"? REALLY?

FWIW, I LOVED "District 9" and glad to see it got some love.

My favorites of the Best Picture nom (in the order I'd like to see them win) are "Inglorious Basterds" and "District 9", though I haven't seen "The Hurt Locker" yet and have been told I must.

For the other awards, Christoph Waltz HAS to win Best Supporting Actor.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

It was to get a few more popular films on the list that wouldn't make it in the Top 5. Not necessarily blockbusters. Of course "Avatar" and "Inglorious Basterds" likely would have made it in the Top 5 this year for its visuals, but "District 9" (which made $115 million in the US), "Up" ($292 million in the US) likely wouldn't.

It is a bit amusing that the rule change, designed to limit years like two years ago, where there were no box office hits in the running, starts in a year where likely two box office hits would have been in the Top 5.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #49
Izulde
Head Coach

500 Days of Summer was okay, but it's severely overrated.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #50
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I KEEL YOU NOW!