Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NCAA Basketball 10

For all you presentation folks.. (I'm one of them)

NCAA Basketball 10 Video Game, Exclusive Telecast Integration Trailer | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-07-2009 at 04:57 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Given the recent improvements with Madden and NBA Live, I'm certainly interested to see if this game follows a similar curve. College basketball is my favorite sport. I'd love to see a good college basketball game back in the market.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Huh, Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery... my favorite announcer in all of sports and my least favorite announcer in college basketball(now that Billy Packer has retired). I'm not sure what to make of that.

Last year's game was still light years behind College Hoops 2k8 though, wasn't it? I must admit I never saw a positive impression anywhere to make me even consider buying it. My expectations are low for now.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Last year's game was still light years behind College Hoops 2k8 though, wasn't it? I must admit I never saw a positive impression anywhere to make me even consider buying it. My expectations are low for now.

I still play CH2K8. I'm hopign for something better, but still have that as a fallback plan.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Gus Johnson is an immediate no-way-in-hell-am-I-buying-this. I have a hard enough time suffering through his ridiculous shouting during real sporting events...no way am I going to listen to him on my Xbox too.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

PSYCH-OUT!

Last edited by Logan : 10-07-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
PSYCH-OUT!

I know I was wondering if there was actually a baseketball game coming out or if this was some kind of parody thread.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

Considering that their marketing campaign seems to be around the addition of some new lines of announcing, I'm still skeptical that this game won't blow again.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

If it really was Baseketball Id buy that on day 1.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

But dude, you're a little bitch.

If you guys rip on me 12 or 13 more times...I'm out of here.

You want us to play for Dallas?

Did I just fart?

It's the strangest thing...he's 8 years old and he smells like Robert Downey Jr.

If no true winner can be determined, then a sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays.

If only EA would release NCAA Baseketball 10!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
I know I was wondering if there was actually a baseketball game coming out or if this was some kind of parody thread.

LOL.. it has been changed.. too much typing and not proof reading.. plus we don't use Firefox at work that corrects my spelling..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
sooner333
College Starter

I've really been hoping for CBS integration into a college basketball game for a long time. This seems like it's done incredibly well. I'm pumped.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, hate to say it, but it looks like it has potential.

Still wish 2K wouldn't have left after CH2K8, but this might be worth getting, especially if NBA Live is good and you can move players to the draft from NCAA.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Looks like the game is going to have two separate broadcasts depending on the day of the game/whether it's tourney or not.

From pastapadre's site:

Quote:
We have full ESPN broadcast integration for the first time, says Dougan. It looks exactly like you see on television. All of the intros, fly-ins, movies, graphics, announcers [Dick Vitale, Brad Nessler, Erin Andrews] … all of that stuff you see on ESPN will be in ‘NCAA Basketball 10.’ Not to mention, we’re also doing CBS Sports integration. So that means we’ll have two new announcers for the CBS team and that’s Gus Johnson and Bill Rafferty. They’ll be calling the games along with all of the CBS Sports broadcast packages. So if you’re playing through your Dynasty mode, your Monday through Friday games will generally be on ESPN, but your big weekend games will be on CBS Sports. Conference tournaments will switch between the two broadcasts depending on who owns the rights to that specific tournament, and then, of course, the NCAA basketball tournament is broadcast on CBS.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

So, since they focused all their time on figuring out who broadcasts when, I'm sure that left loads of time for things like player progression and proper coverage of zone defenses, yeah?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Without multi-player franchises I will never buy this game ... sucks that 2k sports stopped making theirs
Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365 View Post
Without multi-player franchises I will never buy this game ... sucks that 2k sports stopped making theirs
Rumor was that they didn't stop making the game, but instead the NCAA signifigantly raised the price at EA's request so that it priced them out. Essentially giving EA an exclusive license without having to feel the wrath from the public.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah I heard that too ... why any sports game would come out without the ability for a multiplayer franchise mode is just beyond me ....
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'd love for it to be better than CH 2K8, but I doubt it. As Butter says, I'd be absolutely shocked if this doesn't have the same problem EA games always do, with recruits being rated too highly and every team ending up being a 99 OVR in 5 years time.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
watravaler
High School JV

CH 2K8, like the FastBreak text sims, imo...will remain king for quite some time. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
Balldog
Pro Rookie

From what I've read they've shot their wad on the ESPN/CBS integration...I think we all know EA well enough that if they had made any upgrades to dynasty mode it would be publicized by now.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
sooner333
College Starter

Anyone picking this one up today?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

In an interview, I believe the producer said that 70% of their time was spent on the presentation and announcing. For a game that played like horseshit last year, that's not a good sign. Announcers should be a secondary feature on a sports game.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #24
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
In an interview, I believe the producer said that 70% of their time was spent on the presentation and announcing. For a game that played like horseshit last year, that's not a good sign. Announcers should be a secondary feature on a sports game.

Last year's game was the first basketball game of any kind I had picked up for console in many years. I played it for a few days and thought it was absolutely terrible. Didn't play anything like a basketball game should. Hell, I think Coach K College Basketball was a better representation of the sport.

A couple months later my son wanted to pick up NBA 2k9 and I was hesitant after the NCAA experience, but I ended up picking it up and was pleasantly surprised that they actually put together a game that felt like basketball.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Last year's game was the first basketball game of any kind I had picked up for console in many years. I played it for a few days and thought it was absolutely terrible. Didn't play anything like a basketball game should. Hell, I think Coach K College Basketball was a better representation of the sport.

A couple months later my son wanted to pick up NBA 2k9 and I was hesitant after the NCAA experience, but I ended up picking it up and was pleasantly surprised that they actually put together a game that felt like basketball.

NBA 2k9 (and NBA 2k10) are made by 2ksports not EA. 2ksports has made the best basketball games for a while now. College Hoops 2k8 is the best college game out to date.

I haven't tried NCAA 10 yet, but the early word is not encouraging to me. I love the presentation/announcing that they have done, but if they haven't significantly improved the gameplay and franchise from last year I'll pass.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Downloaded the demo and played it. Have to admit that the CBS music and intro got me feeling good. Other than that, it's horrible. Not sure why they'd put out the demo at all.

Gus Johnson sounds good at the beginning, but he constantly cuts himself off throughout the game. It just seems really rushed and the color guy repeats what Gus says a lot. On a 3-point play I get Gus saying "And he hits and draws the foul". Cue the color guy adding "And he draws the foul". He's also a little behind the action and it gets bad when there is a lot of action or a timeout. You'll hear "The jumper is up and - Timeout Duke. Here is where the conference standings sit".

The gameplay is as bad as it was last year. Outside of the poor job with the announcing, the presentation is better. They do tend to go to the cutscene too quickly though. A guy will hit a shot and as the ball is going through the hoop it switches to the shooter running back on defense. Just a little hectic and could be smoothed out a bit (sure there is a way to turn off cutscenes).

Would never buy it and maybe next year they'll focus on the game.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The fact that the review embargo lasts until a day AFTER the release is very telling. That move alone tells me they don't feel the game is any better. They're trying to get the impulse purchases to buy before the reviews hit the internet and aren't counting on much after that.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #28
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, it's a shame. I want desperately to like the game, but it's not going to happen.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some impressions from Bill Abner. Pretty much confirms what we already suspected. One step forward, two steps back..........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: NCAA 10 -- Some Evaluation
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #30
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Some impressions from Bill Abner. Pretty much confirms what we already suspected. One step forward, two steps back..........

I didn't play last year's game, and I didn't think it was going to be as good as College Hoops 2k. But, this review doesn't really look terrible. I doubt I'll buy the game new, but as conference season starts, I might look for a used copy.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I didn't play last year's game, and I didn't think it was going to be as good as College Hoops 2k. But, this review doesn't really look terrible. I doubt I'll buy the game new, but as conference season starts, I might look for a used copy.

The lack of good end-game CPU AI and the lack of 3 pointers by the CPU AI kill it for me.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #32
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
The lack of good end-game CPU AI and the lack of 3 pointers by the CPU AI kill it for me.

Well, maybe they'll be some good sliders or something. I'm hopeful for the game. I hope the 2kshare stays up for a new roster set for 2k8.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #33
Philliesfan980
Banned

Does anyone know if there are any good (that's the key word) current rosters for 2k8 (PS3 version)?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #34
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

"But when the AI shoots a layup from underneath the basket and it smacks into the backside of the backboard causing a turnover, which is something I thought died in basketball games a long time ago, it's understandably annoying"

I'm sorry, but I've seen this in every basketball game I've played since ps2.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #35
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
"But when the AI shoots a layup from underneath the basket and it smacks into the backside of the backboard causing a turnover, which is something I thought died in basketball games a long time ago, it's understandably annoying"

I'm sorry, but I've seen this in every basketball game I've played since ps2.

As much as I've played CH2K8 (500+ games) I've never seen it
Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
As much as I've played CH2K8 (500+ games) I've never seen it

I've played just as much if not more and I've only ever seen that once with College Hoops 2k8.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #37
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I must be doing it wrong then. I see it all the time. Especially from the CPU.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pasta Padre is reporting that this game won't get a patch and that there is a chance that there will not be any further future versions due to poor sales. I'm hopeful this is true, as it may force the NCAA to lower their asking fee for the basketball license and allow 2ksports to get back into the game:

No Plans for NCAA Basketball 10 Patch | pastapadre.com
Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

While the game is horrible and the loss of the franchise won't have an effect on me, it is sad to see the end of college basketball on the video game console. I'd love to see 2K pick it up but I doubt they could get a team together and start developing so quickly. I was also under the impression that they were trying to shrink their sports titles and not expand them. I would have love to have seen what they could have done as I love college basketball games.

I guess the only good thing is watching the NCAA fuck themselves over by raising the prices so high it knocked out one company only to leave an incompetent one in its place. Now they have no one paying for the rights.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #40
bhlloy
Coordinator

You might be right but I'm hoping all the stars align - the NCAA offers a cut price deal for the rights, 2k Sports is able to reassemble or reassign the majority of the staff and the lack of a competitor makes it financially viable for them.

Then again this is the NCAA, who am I kidding.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #41
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's kind of sad, but the entire time I'm playing NBA 2K10 I find myself wondering how awesome a CH 2K10 would be. IMO they have pretty much nailed professional basketball now.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Pasta Padre is reporting that this game won't get a patch and that there is a chance that there will not be any further future versions due to poor sales. I'm hopeful this is true, as it may force the NCAA to lower their asking fee for the basketball license and allow 2ksports to get back into the game:

No Plans for NCAA Basketball 10 Patch | pastapadre.com

It's amazing how people as little as a year ago laughed at the proposition some had made that they weren't going to buy the EA games and support a poor product. They said 'EA will never have any issues......there's still thousands of other gamers lining up to buy their games'.

Flash forward to today. We have EA laying off droves of workers to stay afloat and heavy sales losses in some games that used to be cash cows for the company. There are clear indications that the public backlash against year after year of lousy quality is catching up with them. Bill Harris had a very good column on this yesterday. I've quoted the most telling remarks below...........

Dubious Quality: EA And The Future Of College Sports Games

Quote:
This isn't being widely discussed at this point, but I think the writing is on the wall for NCAA Basketball, and I think NCAA Football is in serious trouble as well. Dollar for dollar, it should be significantly more cost effective to develop a pro game with 1/5 the number of teams, stadiums, playbooks, etc. It's just less labor-intensive to be accurate.

EA recently put up a survey about which features people would most like to see in NCAA 11, so it's seemingly safe for next year, but the survey itself is a good example of just how clueless this series has become. There was a laundry list of potential "new" features, and people were asked to select their top three. Here were a few of the options:

--Locomotion Gameplay with authentic momentum based physics (more dynamic cuts, AI reacts more realistic)
--All-New Spread and No-Huddle Spread Gameplay (Teams look to the sideline as they increase the tempo of the game)
--Authentic offensive styles of play (USC will actually PLAY like USC utilizing their key styles you see on Saturday)

Physics-based gameplay, an offensive style that is now common, and "authentic offensive styles of play" are possible additions to the game? WTF have you guys been developing for the last ten years? If you've been developing this game for ten damn years (at least) and teams aren't ALREADY playing like they play in real life, then that's a fail.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #43
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's amazing how people as little as a year ago laughed at the proposition some had made that they weren't going to buy the EA games and support a poor product. They said 'EA will never have any issues......there's still thousands of other gamers lining up to buy their games'.

Flash forward to today. We have EA laying off droves of workers to stay afloat and heavy sales losses in some games that used to be cash cows for the company. There are clear indications that the public backlash against year after year of lousy quality is catching up with them. Bill Harris had a very good column on this yesterday. I've quoted the most telling remarks below...........

Dubious Quality: EA And The Future Of College Sports Games

I agree with Bill's opinion here regarding the potential for "new" features like teams playing as they do in RL as an epic fail. However, my concern surrounds the other potential features they put up there in the voting as well as the amount of input they take seriously from such forums as Operation Sports. While the droves over there will insist that such things as socks and shoes matching the teams as well as the addition of long hair and dreads is "vital" to the game being realistic, it's really nothing but a bunch of crappy window-dressing. The OS'ers over there consider themselves hard-core players when they are actually playing an advanced game of Saturday afternoon dress up.

College Football simulation (or whatever sport you're choosing to replicate) first, then add the pretty pretties.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #44
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I find it interesting that EA is failing to realize the fact that the declining sales is related to the product they are putting out. So instead they will just stop making these games.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #45
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I saw Best Buy is having a sale on this one. I just starting getting into CH2k8 again and was wondering if this is worth an upgrade?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I saw Best Buy is having a sale on this one. I just starting getting into CH2k8 again and was wondering if this is worth an upgrade?

I've played both and still prefer CH 2K8.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've played both and still prefer CH 2K8.

Ditto. NCAA Basketball 10 is a huge step down from CH 2k8 if you like dynasty play at all.