2009 - 2012 - Next Admin 4 yrs 14 32.56%
Fugitaboutit 21 48.84%
Trout 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Pakistan, Taliban & OBL etc.

To complement my other failed military themed thread ...

For the past month, I've noticed an uptick on stories about Pakistan taking more aggressive approach against the Taliban/AQ in their border regions.

I wasn't sure if this was just increased coverage by the news media or a true escalation by the Pakistani government. It looks as if Pakistan really is escalating the war.

U.S. praises Pakistan action against militants - Pakistan - MSNBC.com

Quote:
"I think it is good Pakistan is taking serious military action against the terrorists," Boucher told reporters after three days of meetings with Pakistani leaders, including the president. "We have seen the government has shown the determination and willingness to see this through to the end."

This is also supported by the seemingly increased Taliban/AQ aggression in Pakistan.

Here's hoping for an October surprise this election year! Added a poll just for the heck of it.

Also, wanted to share a link to a Time interview of a Delta commander talking about OBL. Nothing I didn't already really know but interesting to hear it from boots on the ground.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...852005,00.html

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-20-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

thought this was a signup thread for a new ootp baseball league.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'll choose to stay on the skeptical side of reports Pakistan is (finally) cracking down on the militants. Whichever Pakistani government is in power, it seems the same narrative has been run out like clockwork every year since about 1990. As long as they're supporting Islamic militants in the fight for Kashmir, there's obviously too much overlap between the groups to crack down enough.

The one thing that makes me possibly think otherwise is the economic crisis. They might be trying to show Washington how good of an ally they can be until they get the money, and also once/if they're forced to take an IMF bailout/structuralization plan they'll lose a large amount of support and that'll make military operations more dangerous for them.

I did find the following quote interesting from the Time interview
Quote:
Killing him it might make him a martyr, that's okay. I think [the terrorists will] soon forget about it. I think they'll lose their stomach for the fight when they see the mighty bin Laden was vulnerable, and was finally taken out. I don't think they'll have an easy time replacing him. I know the other top tier [al Qaeda leadership] can barely get along as it is, they all don't particularly like each other. I don't think there's anybody that can bring the following out like bin Laden can.
Trivia question for Edward/anyone else - what does Pakistan stand for?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

They still haven't caught Osama?

I would have thought that there would be a bigger uproar on the US government's inability to put this man to justice.

Seven years, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and Bush has nothing to show for 9-11.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I think they'll nab him in the next administration, mainly due to the fact that a lot of resources can now be diverted from Iraq to Afghanistan. We just need more bodies on the ground at this point. But if the reports of late from Iraq and Afghanistan are any indication, there's not a lot of long-term career opportunities available right now in Al-Queda.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think they'll nab him in the next administration, mainly due to the fact that a lot of resources can now be diverted from Iraq to Afghanistan. We just need more bodies on the ground at this point.

This, plus the fact that it seems reasonable and rational that the current regime in Pakistan would be looking to introduce order into the region in which he's supposedly hiding.

Quote:
But if the reports of late from Iraq and Afghanistan are any indication, there's not a lot of long-term career opportunities available right now in Al-Queda.

I'd say the jury's still out on that. Let's not get incautiously optimistic. That's how we got into Iraq in the first place.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
thought this was a signup thread for a new ootp baseball league.

You can play as the Taliban, Hamas, Fatah, Hezbollah- you name it. If it's a Middle Eastern political party, you can play as them

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
This, plus the fact that it seems reasonable and rational that the current regime in Pakistan would be looking to introduce order into the region in which he's supposedly hiding.

I'd say the jury's still out on that. Let's not get incautiously optimistic. That's how we got into Iraq in the first place.

I think Pakistan will be much more proactive simply because of the leader. His wife was killed by these people. That's pretty good motivation.

Over the past two months, they've taken out 4 senior leaders in Pakistan and the #2 man in Iraq. The leaders are getting whacked at a pretty steady rate. My only point is that it's not a good time to be taking leadership job offers.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's just Pakistan, though. Al Qaeda's active in other parts of the world, and no one's done anything about their solid funding base in Saudi Arabia (not to mention their money laundering throughout the gulf states).
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That's just Pakistan, though. Al Qaeda's active in other parts of the world, and no one's done anything about their solid funding base in Saudi Arabia (not to mention their money laundering throughout the gulf states).

To be fair though, you can't be everywhere at once. The mess otherwise known as Iraq appears to be nearing an end. They should be able to focus a bit better on Al-Qaeda at this point.

I played golf with a random guy in Baltimore a year or so ago. Turned out that he was part of the counter-terrorism unit in DC. While he couldn't answer a lot of my curious questions, he did tell me that for every 1 terrorist plot defused that you hear about in the media, there are 10 more that are defused but they can't talk about it or it would jeopardize their spies within the organization along with jeopardizing the disruption of future counter-terrorism missions. He said it was frustrating to not give more information about it for public consumption, but that it had to be that way. He also said it would provide for amazing reading for future generations when the documents are eventually declassified.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

How many caves are there in the Himalayas?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
How many caves are there in the Himalayas?

5. Any idiot knows that.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I keep vacillating between sending in more troops and getting the hell out while we can. History hasn't been kind to long term military presences in Afghanistan.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
To complement my other failed military themed thread ...

Not a complete failure. Some of those chicks were hot.

As for this thread I'm still skeptical about how much Pakistan really wants to help us, but if they are stepping up then it's definitely good news.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I keep vacillating between sending in more troops and getting the hell out while we can. History hasn't been kind to long term military presences in Afghanistan.

Leaving now would be similar to what Bush Sr. did in Iraq. He had a chance to finish it then but backed out because it was the easy thing to do. Backing out now and leaving the country to the revenge of Taliban troops would be a humanitarian disaster that we likely be blamed for in the end.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Not a complete failure. Some of those chicks were hot.
I agree. Funny how there was so much resistance in the prior millennium to women in the US military. Not sure what the official stance is now but for all practical purposes, they are serving in combat capabilities.

Quote:
Leaving now would be similar to what Bush Sr. did in Iraq. He had a chance to finish it then but backed out because it was the easy thing to do. Backing out now and leaving the country to the revenge of Taliban troops would be a humanitarian disaster that we likely be blamed for in the end.
The one thing I remember is how we left Somalia after the Black Hawk Down incident and how I cringed to see the US dead dragged around. Similar incidents have happened since then but am proud how we stayed to 'accomplish' the mission.

Oh, lest come down too hard on BC and the Democrats for Somalia, lets not forget it was RR that left Lebanon after the Marine barracks fiasaco.

I'll give GWB kudos for sticking to it and doing what 'he thinks is right' regardless of the consequences. Although there were some lapses, I think we can be proud how our soldiers fought and died.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I did find the following quote interesting from the Time interviewTrivia question for Edward/anyone else - what does Pakistan stand for?
Don't know. Tempted to google it but didn't, what does Pakistan stand for?

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-21-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

MSNBC had a good story on what's going on in Pakistan. It seems there is good cooperation without tacit acknowledgement.

Pakistan, U.S. have tacit deal on airstrikes - Washington Post

Quote:
The United States and Pakistan reached tacit agreement in September on a don't-ask-don't-tell policy that allows unmanned Predator aircraft to attack suspected terrorist targets in rugged western Pakistan, according to senior officials in both countries. In recent months, the U.S. drones have fired missiles at Pakistani soil at an average rate of once every four or five days.

Quote:
The official, one of several who discussed the sensitive military and intelligence relationship only on the condition of anonymity, said the U.S-Pakistani understanding over the airstrikes is "the smart middle way for the moment." Contrasting Zardari with his predecessor, retired Gen. Pervez Musharraf, the official said Musharraf "gave lip service but not effective support" to the Americans. "This government is delivering but not taking the credit."
Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's great news, if true. Hopefully both sides can encroach on the border area from either direction and make life even more difficult for the Taliban/Al-Qaeda there before the mullahs decide to make a big stink.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't know. Tempted to google it but didn't, what does Pakistan stand for?
Sorry for the delay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Hitchens [url="http://www.slate.com/id/2200134/"
Washington Post[/url]]
The very name Pakistan inscribes the nature of the problem. It is not a real country or nation but an acronym devised in the 1930s by a Muslim propagandist for partition named Chaudhary Rahmat Ali. It stands for Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, and Indus-Sind. The stan suffix merely means "land." In the Urdu language, the resulting acronym means "land of the pure." It can be easily seen that this very name expresses expansionist tendencies and also conceals discriminatory ones. Kashmir, for example, is part of India. The Afghans are Muslim but not part of Pakistan. Most of Punjab is also in India. Interestingly, too, there is no B in this cobbled-together name, despite the fact that the country originally included the eastern part of Bengal (now Bangladesh, after fighting a war of independence against genocidal Pakistani repression) and still includes Baluchistan, a restive and neglected province that has been fighting a low-level secessionist struggle for decades. The P comes first only because Pakistan is essentially the property of the Punjabi military caste (which hated Benazir Bhutto, for example, because she came from Sind). As I once wrote, the country's name "might as easily be rendered as 'Akpistan' or 'Kapistan,' depending on whether the battle to take over Afghanistan or Kashmir is to the fore."
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

There's also good news coming on the Iraq front. It looks like most of the mess is cleaned up over there and troops can be diverted to the Afghanistan theater if needed. Looks like the surge is going to allow Obama to keep his campaign promise without much work at all. Pretty amazing that Iraq went from a presidential campaign issue to a relative non-issue within a year or two........

Instapundit.com -
Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
There's also good news coming on the Iraq front. It looks like most of the mess is cleaned up over there

Now there's an overstatement if I've ever see one.

There are still plenty of suicide bombings, the just re-agreed Status of Forces Agreement is likely to be subject to parliamentary wranging and potential Sadr-related uprisings, and we still need to get through January's provincial elections.

Let's count those chickens after they hatch, shall we?

Quote:
Pretty amazing that Iraq went from a presidential campaign issue to a relative non-issue within a year or two........

Without the economic meltdown, it's still the #1 presidential campaign issue.

Please use reputable information sources.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Please use reputable information sources.

Michael Yon is very reputable. He's been in the war theater just about as much as any reporter who's covered the Iraq War. He's been very fair in his coverage thus far.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #24
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Michael Yon is very reputable. He's been in the war theater just about as much as any reporter who's covered the Iraq War. He's been very fair in his coverage thus far.

CNN fair or Fox fair?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
CNN fair or Fox fair?

Have you read his articles? He was heavily critical of the Washington political machine before the surge in regards to the Iraq conflict and their lack of action. He also was one of the first correspondants to go into Afghanistan and note the declining situation there in 2006-2007. Anyone who has read his writings from the start (including his blog entries) would know that he's done a great job of reporting on these conflicts. It's extremely short-sighted to pigeon hole someone like Michael Yon who has done a lot of great work in both war theaters and has been very even-handed in his coverage.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-17-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #26
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

OK, my bad, I didn't click the link, because it was Instapundit and I had no idea they'd actually have someone like Michael Yon reporting for them.

So I've just read the "article" (more like a recap of a phone conversation) and although that's certainly great news for the soldiers, it's quite a leap to say that Iraq, and our involvement there, is mostly cleaned up. Let's a) see if the Status of Forces Agreement actually gets passed and b) get through the provincial elections and see where we stand.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
OK, my bad, I didn't click the link, because it was Instapundit and I had no idea they'd actually have someone like Michael Yon reporting for them.

So I've just read the "article" (more like a recap of a phone conversation) and although that's certainly great news for the soldiers, it's quite a leap to say that Iraq, and our involvement there, is mostly cleaned up. Let's a) see if the Status of Forces Agreement actually gets passed and b) get through the provincial elections and see where we stand.

But I think at this point, it's relatively clear that the table has been set for the U.S. to be out of that country soon either way. It's great for the soldiers and Obama is likely thrilled that a lot of the work is done in Iraq and that we are on the downhill side of that conflict. It also won't hurt to get some more resources on the proper front where they should have been in the first place.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #28
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great thing if this means we can get out of Iraq. I couldn't be happier if it turns out to be the case.

However, if the end result is that we spent half a trillion dollars, sacrificed 4000+ dead and 30,000+ seriously injured to end up with a theocratic state closely allied to (if not controlled by) Iran, then I think our enthusiasm needs to be tempered somewhat.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #29
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

There are still plenty of suicide bombings, the just re-agreed Status of Forces Agreement is likely to be subject to parliamentary wranging and potential Sadr-related uprisings, and we still need to get through January's provincial elections.

Let's count those chickens after they hatch, shall we?
Sadr's been marginalized, and I'm not sure how Parliamentary wrangling would affect the security situation, but I do agree with the overall point - pulling troops out of Afghanistan when we were winning was a major factor in allowing the Taliban-esque groups to regroup, and I would hope we've learned that lesson. I'm a lot more scared Obama will pull troop numbers down for symbolic/campaign promise reasons when either A) the troops are needed to prevent violence or B) they're not, in which case they're in no more danger stationed in Iraq than Kuwait or Saudi Arabia.

(I'm also not sure what you have against Instapundit - the guy's a link aggregator, so I'm not really sure how he/the blog itself could have a reputation for fairness.) Regardless, Michael Yon ( Michael Yon - Online Magazine ) and Michael Totten ( Michael J. Totten ), who I've linked to before, are the two best independent photojournalists I've read from the region. If they're posting things like this
Quote:
A year ago I went to Fallujah and had to spend a day in Baghdad’s Green Zone filling out paperwork to get myself credentialed. While waiting to be processed I sat outside on the lawn next to the Iraqi parliament building and listened to a 45-minute fire fight just on the other side of the wall in the Red Zone. The BRRRRRAP of automatic AK-47 fire was punctuated by the sound of explosions. Police car sirens wailed, and I remember feeling relieved that at least the Iraqi Police were rushing toward, instead of away from, the fight. I remember hearing a car bomb explode two miles away. It sounded like it exploded mere blocks away. Baghdad in 2007 was still not a place you would want to be.
I’m told the city will be unrecognizable to me now. I know this is true. It is beyond controversy at this point that the war has wound down. But I still have a slightly difficult time believing it on a gut level. News reports from Iraq have been so few and far between lately that I can’t help but picture the old Baghdad in my mind. My experience hasn’t yet caught up with reality.
while in/traveling to Iraq, I believe them.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #30
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Sadr's been marginalized,

I doubt that.

Quote:
and I'm not sure how Parliamentary wrangling would affect the security situation

The Iraqi parliament needs to ratify the new Status of Forces agreement. If they don't, it puts U.S. troops in a very difficult situation, by the end of the year.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #31
Edward64
Head Coach

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. Regardless of how we got here and the motives, I think its pretty clear the Pakistani government is serious. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Pakistanis get brief window to flee fighting - CNN.com
Zakaria: Pakistan's crackdown will create chaos - CNN.com
Pakistan readies assault on Taliban in valley - Pakistan - msnbc.com
Quote:
MINGORA, Pakistan - The Pakistan army readied a major assault to rid the main town in the Swat Valley of entrenched Taliban militants, who the military said Friday were shaving their beards in order to mingle undetected with fleeing civilians.
:
:
Pakistan began operations in the valley and surrounding districts last month following intense U.S. pressure for action against extremists eroding the stability of the nuclear-armed state and attacking American troops in neighboring Afghanistan.

'They need to be eliminated'
The offensive is shaping up as a major test of the will and ability of the often-criticized army to defeat the militants. The extremists fought the military to a stalemate in Swat last year, forcing the country's embattled politicians to accept a peace deal.
Sure hope we have some unconvential forces assisting. I wonder if the initial Swat peace was to draw them in?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...reat-pakistan/
Quote:
The head of the U.S. Central Command said Sunday that Taliban militants increasing foothold in the mountains "threaten the very existence of the Pakistani state" but that he is confident Pakistan's military will protect its nuclear arsenal.

"Certainly the next few weeks will be very important in this effort to roll back, if you will, this existential threat, a true threat to Pakistan's very existence that has been posed by the Pakistani Taliban," Gen. David Petraeus said on "Fox News Sunday."

But Gen. Petraeus added that reports of brutality and repression by the Taliban in northwest Pakistan have helped rally public support for the country's recent military offensive into the region to fight the militant organization — a scenario that could turn the tide of the Pakistan's ongoing battle against the group.

"The actions of the Pakistani Taliban … have galvanized all of Pakistan — not just the president and the prime minister but also even the opposition leaders, virtually all the elements of the political spectrum and the people," the general said. "So there is a degree of unanimity that there must be swift and effective action taken against the Taliban in Pakistan."

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-15-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #32
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Sadr's been marginalized,
I doubt that.
Looks like it. I don't think he has done anything significant lately.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
There's also good news coming on the Iraq front. It looks like most of the mess is cleaned up over there

All the mess is not cleaned up but looking good.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #33
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, not quite OBL but a BL and in Pakistan.

Bin Laden son may have been killed - Terrorism- msnbc.com
Quote:
WASHINGTON - Saad bin Laden, a son of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, may have been killed in a U.S. airstrike, U.S. officials said Thursday.

The son was likely killed in Pakistan in the last several months, approximately in late spring, said a counterterrorism official, one of three Obama administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Quote:
The U.S. has carried out more than 45 missile attacks with drones in Pakistan's border region since last August, most targeting foreign al-Qaida militants and those accused of violence in neighboring Afghanistan. Saad was not considered a heavy hitter in his father's organization and was not the target of the strike, but rather was killed during a strike intended for someone else, National Public Radio said, quoting unidentified officials.

Saad was born in 1982 and is one of 19 children Osama bin Laden is thought to have, officials have said.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

First his 2nd wife and now possibly the Pakistan Taliban chief. I guess we are making progress.
Reports probed of Taliban chief’s death - Pakistan - msnbc.com

Quote:
ISLAMABAD - U.S. and Pakistani authorities are investigating reports that Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud was killed in an American missile strike, officials from both countries said Friday. If confirmed, Mehsud's demise would be a major boost to Pakistani and U.S. efforts to eradicate the Taliban and al-Qaida.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #35
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Thought this was a new wargame MMO.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #36
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Great to see this kind of progress after so many years of stagnation in that area with regard to security operations, mainly due to a) Musharraf (where is that guys these days, anyway?) and b) having our military/intelligence assets focused elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #37
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Thought this was a new wargame MMO.

It is. They'll even pay you to join up! The downsides are a) it takes significantly longer to level up and b) a higher likelihood of actually dying.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is. They'll even pay you to join up! The downsides are a) it takes significantly longer to level up and b) a higher likelihood of BSOD.

fixed your fail for you
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #39
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Isn't this the 3rd time Mehsud's death has been announced? I'll take it with a grain of salt.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Great to see this kind of progress after so many years of stagnation in that area with regard to security operations, mainly due to a) Musharraf (where is that guys these days, anyway?) and b) having our military/intelligence assets focused elsewhere.

I'm also encouraged by President Obama's assault on AQ's solid funding base in Saudi Arabia (not to mention their money laundering throughout the gulf states).
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #41
Edward64
Head Coach

Its really hitting the fan now. Haven't checked out any local Pakastani news/polls, hopefully a majority are now anti-AQ.

Dozens die in wave of Pakistan attacks - Pakistan - msnbc.com
Quote:
LAHORE, Pakistan - Teams of gunmen launched coordinated attacks on three law enforcement facilities in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore and car bombs hit two other cities Thursday, killing a total of 39 people in an escalating wave of anti-government violence.

The bloodshed, aimed at scuttling a planned offensive into the Taliban heartland near the Afghan border, highlights the Islamist militants' ability to carry out sophisticated strikes on heavily fortified facilities and exposes the failure of the intelligence agencies to adequately infiltrate the extremist cells.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #42
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Isn't this the 3rd time Mehsud's death has been announced? I'll take it with a grain of salt.
I should point out that it has (as much as is possible) been confirmed here that Baitullah Mehsud is dead. Haven't really checked in recently to see how the power struggle between his son and his 2nd in command is going - last I heard they split into one faction in/along Afghanistan and one in the Pakistani interior

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-15-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #43
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Its really hitting the fan now. Haven't checked out any local Pakastani news/polls, hopefully a majority are now anti-AQ.

Dozens die in wave of Pakistan attacks - Pakistan - msnbc.com

This is why smart military leaders do not telegraph their military plans ahead of time. They pretty much laid out there offensive in the news for the Taliban to review.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #44
Edward64
Head Coach

Good sign that the Pakistani military is accepting aid from us.

Pakistan to target heart of Taliban country - Pakistan - msnbc.com
Quote:
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - The Pakistani military is setting its sights on the Taliban’s remote sanctuary after nearly two weeks of big bombings across the country, as hundreds flee the Afghan border region each day before what promises to be the army’s riskiest offensive yet.

With the first snows of winter less than two months away, the army has limited time to mount a major ground attack. The U.S. is racing to send in night vision goggles and other equipment. The Pakistani military insists it’s sealing off supply and escape routes, forcing the militants to rely on goat paths.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Too many times the Pakistanis have diverted aid for me to trust them.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #46
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

How prescient you were. You articulated the president's current position on Afghanistan a year ago.

Last edited by CamEdwards : 10-16-2009 at 08:43 PM.
CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #47
Edward64
Head Coach

Fox news had a little more detail on supplies.
Pakistan Troops Move In for Assault on Militant Stronghold - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com
Quote:
Despite sometimes rocky relations with the Pakistani military, the U.S. is trying to rush in equipment that would help with mobility, night fighting and precision bombing, a U.S. Embassy official told The Associated Press in a recent interview, speaking on condition of anonymity because the issue is politically sensitive.

In addition to night-vision devices, the Pakistan military has said it is seeking additional Cobra helicopter gunships, heliborne lift capability, laser-guided munitions and intelligence equipment to monitor cell and satellite telephones.

The army has considered the weather in the timing the offensive. Snows in the region could block major roads. At the same time, a harsh winter could work to the army's advantage by driving fighters out of their unheated mountain hideouts.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #48
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting article on how the Pakistani's isolated Mehsud's group, one of many different tribes. Always thought they were one cohesive group, apparently not.
Tribal deals open doors for Pakistan army - World Blog - msnbc.com
Quote:
In early September, 27 elders of the Wazir tribes, along with aides of Gul Bahadar, sat down with government representatives in Miranshah, the administrative capital of North Waziristan to work out a deal. Later, the talks moved to Peshawar in the Northwest Frontier Province

In the end, the government agreed to most of the tribe’s demands for cooperation; prisoners were exchanged and Gul Bahadar was compensated for losses suffered from U.S. drone attacks and military action in his areas. The tribal council was satisfied, an earlier peace agreement from 2007 was restored, and a feast of roasted goat, rice and sweets was served, according to centuries-old tribal traditions.

"We will not intervene in the Mehsud’s wars," said Maulana Sadiq Noor, deputy to Gul Bahadar, referring to the rival Mehsud tribes of South Waziristan from whom the Taliban militants in Pakistan draw most of their support. "Our people have suffered enough at the hands of the U.S. and the Pakistani governments. We want peace in our lands," he said

Gul Bahadar brought on board his tribal ally, Maulvi Nazir, the commander who holds sway over the border areas of South Waziristan, which encircle the Mehsuds’ strongholds in the center.

The Mehsuds were squeezed. The tribes had switched sides. The Wazirs, led by Gul Bahadar and Nazir to the north and west, and the Bhittani tribes to the east, would remain neutral and not prevent the Pakistani Army’s long planned offensive to attack the Taliban militant’s stronghold.

The Wazirs, in contrast to the Mehsuds, have never attacked the state outside of their own lands of Waziristan. Their focus has always been to send fighters across the border to fight the U.S. and NATO in the Afghan jihad.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #49
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh yeah. Com'on home.

American al Qaeda spokesman arrested in Pakistan, official says - CNN.com
Quote:
Adam Gadahn, an American spokesman for al Qaeda, has been arrested in Pakistan, a senior Pakistani government official source told CNN.

The official said Gadahn was arrested Sunday in Karachi.

Several U.S. officials told CNN that they have no indication that Gadahn has been captured.

News of the arrest came hours after Islamist Web sites posted video of Gadahn praising a November shooting rampage at the U.S. Army base in Fort Hood, Texas. On the video, Gadahn said the Army major charged with gunning down 13 people "lit a path" for other Muslim service members to follow.

Gadahn has routinely posted lengthy videos on Islamist online forums.

In 2006, he was indicted on charges of treason and providing material support to terrorists. The U.S. government has offered a $1 million reward for information leading to his capture.

Gadahn grew up on a California farm, and was home-schooled until age 17. A year later he moved in with his paternal grandparents, who were secular Jews. He converted to Islam at the Islamic Society of Orange County, California, but was banned from the mosque two years later after hitting its chairman, Haitham Bundjaki.

In 1997 Gadahn began working for a California charity suspected of having ties to al Qaeda. He moved to Pakistan in 1998.

His family has said they last heard from him in 2002. In 2004, the FBI identified him as part of an al Qaeda cell that was planning attacks aimed at disrupting that year's presidential election in the United States.

In October 2004, he began appearing in disguise in al Qaeda videos. Gadahn dropped the disguise in 2006.

In 2008, he renounced his U.S. citizenship and destroyed his passport in another al Qaeda video.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The easy layup joke here is "I would never have guessed that someone socially off kilter was home schooled"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote