Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Emiliano
College Prospect

Bachelor of Science/Master of Science

Here's the situation: my fiancee has an old Italian laurea in physics. These "big" 4-years courses were in effect until the 2001 reform, which splitted post-high school education in a more similar manner to the one you have in the US: 3 years for an undergraduate course (we finish HS one year later) + 2 years for the additional post-graduate course. Unfortunately, the Italian law hasn't exactly been clear regarding the old titles, but at least in the European Union they're recognized as 300 ECTS credits, the exact amount required to complete the 3+2.

The question: since she's sending applications to work in the US (medical physics field), would it be correct to put "Master of Science in Physics" as a title in the CV? I understand this is mostly a case-by-case evaluation, but I figured maybe someone here could offer advice.

Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think a prospective employee has an obligation to list the precise title that she has actually earned. In this case, I think it should be listed as a laurea, perhaps with an explanatory note giving some context for that. But I would absolutely not advise that she list the degree as a M.S. since it is not.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I think a prospective employee has an obligation to list the precise title that she has actually earned. In this case, I think it should be listed as a laurea, perhaps with an explanatory note giving some context for that. But I would absolutely not advise that she list the degree as a M.S. since it is not.

Good point. Would be appropriate to put "equivalent to your M.S." in the note?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Something like that seems appropriate to me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

On the other hand, I've seen a lot of resumes from people who graduated from schools that granted bachelors degrees with the abbreviation and title specifically in Latin, i.e. A.B. for "Artium Baccalaureus" or whatever it is. Many list it as a "B.A" anyway. I suppose that it is worth it for them to be imprecise if it means that an employer won't mistake it for an Associate's Degree.

As for Emiliano's wife's situation, I would put both the proper name of the degree and the equivalency as her title. Something like "Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to M.S.)" It is probably better to say it up front rather than put it as a note later on, so it doesn't get lost as eyes glaze over the rest of the CV.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post

As for Emiliano's wife's situation, I would put both the proper name of the degree and the equivalency as her title. Something like "Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to M.S.)" It is probably better to say it up front rather than put it as a note later on, so it doesn't get lost as eyes glaze over the rest of the CV.

I think this makes sense. It should definately be noted right after it, as things need to be close together or resumes.

Not sure what resumes look like generally in Italy (for all I know it's the same), but there are somewhat "standard accepted forms" here in the USA Emiliano, and I think if you venture too far from those it can be a negative - she might want to Google and make sure that hers resembles that.

This mean you're leaving Italy and coming over here?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
Good point. Would be appropriate to put "equivalent to your M.S." in the note?

That sounds right to me. I would recommend taking out the "your" though, and go with "equivalent to M.S." instead.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Yeah, what's the deal? Keep us posted!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Not sure what resumes look like generally in Italy (for all I know it's the same), but there are somewhat "standard accepted forms" here in the USA Emiliano, and I think if you venture too far from those it can be a negative - she might want to Google and make sure that hers resembles that.

Yeah, we did that. We read a lot of resumes and cover letters, trying to resemble them as close as possible.

Quote:

Well, that's the idea. We still both have some "unfinished business" to complete here, but we're very serious about this. The place she works in periodically receives tons of job offers from all over the world, and especially from the USA. That's why we want to test the waters, starting to send some CVs out to see how "real" these offers are.

Won't be easy, I know, but why don't try? We really want to leave this place.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
That sounds right to me. I would recommend taking out the "your" though, and go with "equivalent to M.S." instead.

Good advice. "Your" would be a little too informal.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, we did that. We read a lot of resumes and cover letters, trying to resemble them as close as possible.

Well, that's the idea. We still both have some "unfinished business" to complete here, but we're very serious about this. The place she works in periodically receives tons of job offers from all over the world, and especially from the USA. That's why we want to test the waters, starting to send some CVs out to see how "real" these offers are.

Won't be easy, I know, but why don't try? We really want to leave this place.

Well that's cool! Keep us posted. No question is too silly.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Good advice. "Your" would be a little too informal.

Not just that, but it makes you look more foreign -- if you call it "your" MS, it's like you're pointing out the fact that your system is different. Obviously, you ARE pointing out that your system is different, since you have to, but I think it's something employers will notice, either consciously or unconsciously. Maybe I think about this more because I work in a field with a lot of foreign applicants, but you don't want to send a signal that you're not "one of us" to whoever is looking at the resume.

But that'd be awesome if you made it over here! If you get to the Midwest, let us know -- we'll take you out for rabbit or something.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
3ric
College Starter

Investigate if your fiancee's old university can provide a "diploma supplement" in English, which is a translated diploma. In the EU today, universities has to provide graduates a diploma in English as well, if requested. I have one myself, which I requested several years after graduation, just in case I'd need it at some time in the future.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
miked
College Starter

Actually, these things are regulated to a degree. I do consulting work for a company that does education evaluations for visas and there has to be actual proof that it's the degree equivalent. That's not to say you can't put it on a resume/CV, but as far as visas go, it will be subject to scrutiny (likely by somebody like me ). There are people who get paid a lot of money by companies justifying educational equivalency, whether or not it's worth it is a different story.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
Klinglerware
College Starter

Note to Emiliano, this is your in: be sure that your wife specifically requests that her H1B be personally vetted by miked, a College Benchwarmer at "The Dirty"
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote