Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

IT Desktop Drive Mapping(?) Question

I have an IT question that should be easy but so far is kicking my butt.

Is there a way to save files to a desktop that takes up an alternate section of a hard drive partition.

Specifically the set up we currently have is C and D drives being separate partitions of the single hard drive on my sales peoples laptops.

We use a clunker of a program that when we build a quote for a client stores some 50 documents to a folder on each users desk top. I can not change the store to location because it is scripted into the business client, and requires tech support access to modify. Unfortunately I have already decided to upgrade our system and hardware at the beginning of thee year and am going with one of their competitors (largely because of BS issues like this) and they are unwilling to help me...unless I pay a $22,000 support fee.

My best sales person has filled up her C partition largely with these customer proposals but still has ~50g free on the D partition. We can manually move the files from C to D partition (which is the current solution) but this is far from efficient as it makes it cumbersome to jump from file to file.

What I want to do select the existing file and changee which drive it consumes space from. We tried moving the entire file to D and then working with a shortcut folder (this employee loves to work from windows desktop) but then new files are saved to a new self created folder that actually resides "on" the desktop.

Any ideas?

All our laptops I am replacing in Januray (we dont need the expense on this years books, but it would be a nice start to next year)

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm surprised the "shortcut to a folder on D with the exact same name" (assuming the shortcut is named the same) did not work. You may be running into unfriendly software that is doing Windows things it shouldn't, which it sounds like from some of the restrictions you are describing.

What about using one of the partitioning programs out there to resize the partitions? Something like the old PartitionMagic could take space from D and give it to C non-destructively.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
knolysis
n00b

Maybe you could try the following to move the users Desktop from C: to D:

hxxp://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/181005-change-desktop-filepath-c-g-drive.html#post1075782

Last edited by knolysis : 07-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.
knolysis is offline   Reply With Quote