Ted Kennedy has passed

I guess we all knew it was just a matter of time. RIP

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm having a drink right now. RIP Ted, stay away from those bridges.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

Sad, not just for the loss of Ted Kennedy, but the end of essentially all the Kennedys now. An important and influential part of our country's history.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

RIP.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'm having a drink right now. RIP Ted, stay away from those bridges.

Wow. Didn't even let the thread get into the flow of things. Just banged it out right in the first response. It was going to happen sooner or later.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reid, Senate majority leader

"Because of Ted Kennedy, more young children could afford to become healthy. More young adults could afford to become students. More of our oldest citizens and our poorest citizens could get the care they need to live longer, fuller lives. More minorities, women and immigrants could realize the rights our founding documents promised them. And more Americans could be proud of their country. Ted Kennedy's dream was the one for which the founding fathers fought and for which his brothers sought to realize. The liberal lion's mighty roar may now fall silent, but his dream shall never die."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah)

"Today America lost a great elder statesman, a committed public servant, and leader of the Senate. And today I lost a treasured friend. "Ted Kennedy was an iconic, larger than life United States senator whose influence cannot be overstated. Many have come before, and many will come after, but Ted Kennedy's name will always be remembered as someone who lived and breathed the United States Senate and the work completed within its chamber."

Just two of the reactions (I went bipartisan on purpose) that I found most...stirring.

We all have known it was coming, but truly a sad day.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-26-2009 at 07:35 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's something that I found funny, and poignant, from the CNN.com obit:

"He was probably best known for the ability to work with Republicans," said Adam Clymer, Kennedy's biographer. "The Republican Party raised hundreds of millions of dollars with direct appeal to protect the country from Ted Kennedy, but there was never a piece of legislation that he ever got passed without a major Republican ally."
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Here's something that I found funny, and poignant, from the CNN.com obit:

"He was probably best known for the ability to work with Republicans," said Adam Clymer, Kennedy's biographer. "The Republican Party raised hundreds of millions of dollars with direct appeal to protect the country from Ted Kennedy, but there was never a piece of legislation that he ever got passed without a major Republican ally."

That could be said for most legislation passed by most senators, not just Ted. As we're seeing even in the current session, without some level of bipartisan support, very few bills would be passed. The money was raised to indirectly help kill many of the bills that he didn't pass.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

He's now in that big bar in the sky.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

RIP
Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama

"For five decades, virtually every major piece of legislation to advance the civil rights, health and economic well being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts.

I valued his wise counsel in the Senate, where, regardless of the swirl of events, he always had time for a new colleague. I cherished his confidence and momentous support in my race for the Presidency. And even as he waged a valiant struggle with a mortal illness, I've profited as President from his encouragement and wisdom.

An important chapter in our history has come to an end. Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States Senator of our time."

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
He's now in that big bar in the sky.

If there's a congressional bar in heaven, he's being welcomed home by the ones who went before him.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm waiting for more details...i'm not a huge fan of like...sentimental public gatherings or anything, but if there's going to be some sort of public-something, or if they're going to lay his coffin in state in the hall of the State House or something I think I might make an exception.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

FMLA, WIC, Americorps, etc....

RIP
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That could be said for most legislation passed by most senators, not just Ted. As we're seeing even in the current session, without some level of bipartisan support, very few bills would be passed. The money was raised to indirectly help kill many of the bills that he didn't pass.

Collegiality is certainly a hallmark of the Senate. But Kennedy was genuinely popular with the Republican Senators because he would always bend over backwards to try to accomodate them. And he would be up front with you if he simply couldn't. This is becoming less and less the way things are done in Congress, which is a shame.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Kennedy also wasn't a great politician. He had policies he wanted to see enacted and he worked his tail off to get deals done. He would rarely put partisan gain ahead of his policy preferences.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'm waiting for more details...i'm not a huge fan of like...sentimental public gatherings or anything, but if there's going to be some sort of public-something, or if they're going to lay his coffin in state in the hall of the State House or something I think I might make an exception.

Not a fan at all of his. I'm interesting to see what they do as well.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Wow. Didn't even let the thread get into the flow of things. Just banged it out right in the first response. It was going to happen sooner or later.

Maybe a little early in the thread for it - but its a tough thing to give someone a pass for. It's part of the man. There would have been decades in prison if it were later time, and if he had a different last name.

But maybe he was inspired after that to be a better man and to give back.

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2009 at 09:51 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Not a fan at all of his.

Me either.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Not a fan at all of his. I'm interesting to see what they do as well.

Whatever they do, I'm sure that an extended happy hour will be part of the proceedings.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not a fan.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have always wondered how his life would have been different if a couple of moments in time had changed for him. What if one or more of his brothers had not been assassinated? What if that car had not gone off that bridge? Would he have been president? Imagine if no one knew who Jimmy Carter or even Ronald Reagan was.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

"Teddy Kennedy. Good Senator. Lousy date." - Denis Leary
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #25
path12
Coordinator

RIP
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by more from Obama

He was "not only one of the greatest senators of our time, but one of the most accomplished Americans ever to serve our democracy," President Obama said, speaking to reporters during his vacation in Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.

"His extraordinary life on this earth has come to an end. The extraordinary good that he did lives on. For his family, he was a guardian. For America, he was the defender of a dream."

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe biden

Vice President Joe Biden said today he was a "witness to history" in the 36 years he spent in the Senate with Senator Edward M. Kennedy.
"Teddy spent a lifetime working for a fair and more just America," Biden said in Washington.

"I sat with him on the Senate floor in the same aisle. I sat with him on the Judiciary Committee physically next to him. And I sat with him in the caucuses. And it was in that process -- every day I was with him -- and this is going to sound strange, but he restored my sense of idealism and my faith in possibilities of what this country could do."

powerful words

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-26-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Couldn't resist, sorry. Plus, for whatever reason, I always associate drinking when I hear his name. Kind of like W.C. Fields.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #28
lungs
Pro Rookie

His eulogy at Bobby's funeral is a tear jerker whenever I see it, RIP, Ted.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Yes he had his faults (don't we all) but we could sure as hell use a LOT more politicians who had the work ethic and foresight to move this country the way he has over the decades.

He will be sorely missed.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Yes he had his faults (don't we all) but we could sure as hell use a LOT more politicians who had the work ethic and foresight to move this country the way he has over the decades.

He will be sorely missed.

So being an alcoholic and leaving a girl for dead is a regular thing in this country? Who knew? Learn something new every day.

Maybe I'm an idealist, but that doesn't fly real well with me.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Story on CNN about a family, and specifically a little russian girl, that Kennedy saved in Russia.

'Littlest refusenik' on Kennedy: 'He saved my life' - CNN.com
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Story on CNN about a family, and specifically a little russian girl, that Kennedy saved in Russia.

'Littlest refusenik' on Kennedy: 'He saved my life' - CNN.com

Would have been nice had he extended the same courtesy to Mary Jo.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quit threadcrapping, MBBF.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

seriously
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #35
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

just to make sure i remembered correctly, I went and re-read the "Jesse Helms Died This Morning" thread.

I'm pretty sure FOFC precedent allows it! Plus, its MBBF, he isn't capable of saying that 2+2=4 without coming across like an arrogant douchebag, no reason to expect anything different here. But as far as the basic idea, it seems like fair game to me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's MBBF's usual one-trick-ponyism. Was Ted Kennedy perfect? Hell no. He will have to answer for the events of Chappaquiddick. Just like Dante Stallworth will have to answer for his issues. But to constantly reply to everything with the one liner about this IS threadcrapping, and he needs to be called on it.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #37
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
But as far as the basic idea, it seems like fair game to me.

I agree. Just because one person wants to post the rosy side and another wants to post the dark side, doesn't make one any more right than the other.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I agree. Just because one person wants to post the rosy side and another wants to post the dark side, doesn't make one any more right than the other.

Sorry, ,but I have to call Bullshit, Sak.

To reply to every post with the same thing IS threadcrapping. I guess it was too much to think that folks wouldn't turn this into yet another political, but this is FOFC after all.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess it was too much to think that folks wouldn't turn this into yet another political, but this is FOFC after all.

Kennedy was a politician!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Kennedy was a politician!

political flamewar, sorry.

Have a pedant point :P
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

To reply to every post with the same thing IS threadcrapping. I guess it was too much to think that folks wouldn't turn this into yet another political, but this is FOFC after all.

Hey Foz...Ignore him. A lot of people on here same the same shit over and over in a thread. Ignore it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #42
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
political flamewar, sorry.

Have a pedant point :P

A politician dies, and you expect a thread discussing his life and career isn't going to be political? Really?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #43
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Hey Foz...Ignore him. A lot of people on here same the same shit over and over in a thread. Ignore it.

*golf clap*

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
Izulde
Head Coach

Let's all get drunk and post in the Ping: Drunk Guy thread instead.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #45
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Gotta agree with Foz here, it's as bad as the UCLA fan that keeps yelling 13-9 at me, when USC is winning 8 straight Pac-10 titles and the Rose Bowl year after year....

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-26-2009 at 02:07 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
just to make sure i remembered correctly, I went and re-read the "Jesse Helms Died This Morning" thread.

I'm pretty sure FOFC precedent allows it!

I think this came up with Kirby Puckett too. So it's not JUST politics.

Ted was extremely fortunate to get off as easily as he did, but then again - it did probably cost him the presidency. That's a pretty big penalty. Coming out of Vietnam and Watergate he should have been a slam dunk in '76. Imagine Kennedy v. Regan in '80. It really is a facinating "what if".

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2009 at 02:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, he saved the russian girl to make up for the one he lost. So does that make him even now?

Did he make it across the River Styx, or did he wreck again?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #48
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

With all due respect, the guy was responsible for the death of another person due to whatever reason you beleive, but that fact cannot be dissacciated with him. Imagine what pople would say if today Leonard Little had died. In his thread, someone would mention the cloud over his life, even in passing.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #49
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Gotta agree with Foz here, it's as bad as the UCLA fan that keeps yelling 13-9 at me, when USC is winning 8 straight Pac-10 titles and the Rose Bowl year after year....

13-9 BABY!!!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-26-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #50
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure why, when someone dies, it is considered poor form to remember anything bad about him. People who do bad things deserve to have people remember bad things about them.