Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Nintendo DSi - Opinions

Hi,

I have yet to see any comment here about the new DS from Nintendo -

Nintendo DSi Announced

Anyone planning on getting one? - what do you think about the camera, I reckon Nintendo have at least one unique game waiting to 'spin' ...

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I imagine we'll have at least one of these around here. Depending on how well the store is integrated, it could be an amazing device.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It's not coming out in the US until late in 2009 supposedly, Spring 2009 in Europe. I'll probably get one for the smaller downloadable titles, and it'd be cool if that also meant older GBA, GBC, and GB games were offered like the Wii's Virtual Console.

The camera isn't a big deal to me but Nintendo will probably come up with some cool game ideas using it.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

no interest here, but my kids are getting older, so my tune may change.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll probably eventually get one. Tho I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of GBA support.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Definitely not a Day 1 purchase as of right now, but it depends on how things go with downloadable games. I love my pink DS Lite, and I have quite a few GBA games, so I'm not looking forward to losing that slot.

I don't foresee using the music player abilities at all, and rarely if ever using the camera feature.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'll stick with my DSlite until something I need to play comes out that I can't play on that.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

I am thoroughly underwhelmed by what I've read about the DSi so far. First of all, I haven't played my DSlite in about two months because I'm simply terrible at Advance Wars, which is pretty much the only game I play now. The DSi doesn't really have any killer feature which makes me want to buy it.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Can't they upgrade the regular DS Lite to allow for DSWare and WiiWare -- since it's internet capable? That is the ONLY reason to get this.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I am thoroughly underwhelmed by what I've read about the DSi so far. First of all, I haven't played my DSlite in about two months because I'm simply terrible at Advance Wars, which is pretty much the only game I play now. The DSi doesn't really have any killer feature which makes me want to buy it.

Loved advance wars myself but am stuck on the last level which seems just darned near impossible ... will beat it one day .... possibly ....
Old 10-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu View Post
Can't they upgrade the regular DS Lite to allow for DSWare and WiiWare -- since it's internet capable? That is the ONLY reason to get this.

Bear in mind that the DS Lite doesn't have any built in memory for game downloads so while in theory its probably possible to kludge this into it (thinking a R4 cartridge approach with built in software for the download & control) it wouldn't ever hit the 'mainstream' this way because only a fraction of people would purchase and use it.

By placing it within the new console (which will superceed the DS and become the defacto standard for Nintendo handhelds) they ensure that everyone going forward has access to giving Nintendo money in this manner*

*Its also easier for them to 'control' the downloads and prevent people using it for piracy of games by hiding the encyption etc. in the firmware than it'd be on a catridge.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-05-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Tecmo Bowl should be out soon. I'll definitely be hijacking my daughter's ds Lite at that point.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think Tecmo Bowl should be out soon. I'll definitely be hijacking my daughter's ds Lite at that point.

Techmo Bowl and MLB Power Pros are probably fun games to play in spurts but the lack of a season mode is a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm pretty sure Tecmo Bowl is going to have a season mode and stat tracking, but yeah it's a shame that the DS version of Power Pros was missing so many of the options that made the PS2/Wii versions so good.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'm pretty sure Tecmo Bowl is going to have a season mode and stat tracking, but yeah it's a shame that the DS version of Power Pros was missing so many of the options that made the PS2/Wii versions so good.

I thought I read somewhere that Tecmo Bowl would not have season mode...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I'll stick with my DSlite until something I need to play comes out that I can't play on that.

Yeah, that's pretty much my idea.

SI

Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
hukarez
College Starter

I'll probably eventually pick up one of these down the line... just not anytime soon... and probably, when there are more colors available than the standard white and black. Yes... for some reason, that seems to matter for me when it really shouldn't.

Huh.

In the meantime, it's back to Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles for me!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
In the meantime, it's back to Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles for me!

How is that? Haven't read much about it

SI

Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How is that? Haven't read much about it

SI

Well, it's not much - very simple. I thought of it more along the lines of a Phoenix Wright type game, but it's not quite what I expect... but for $20, I couldn't resist picking it up - especially since I couldn't find "Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy" or "Time Hollow".

EDIT:

Lately I've been lured in by the packaging of the product (much like how Asylum films' packages their DVDs) when it comes to picking up titles - no matter how atrocious they may be!

Also, I turn my back for a good month on new releases and suddenly find myself behind in some DS titles that I want to pick up, like Bangai-O Spirits, Lock's Quest, From the Abyss, Commando Steel Disaster...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 10-06-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Addendum
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm, some of the DSi-specific software will be region-locked. This is a diversion from the DS Lite (and in my opinion, a bad diversion). Now, which games will be DSi-specific? I'm guessing that any that involve use of the camera will obviously be DSi-specific, but what other types (or series) of games might they make DSi-specific? Man. That virtually seals the deal, unless there is some DSi-only game I absolutely can't live without, I'll probably stick with my DS Lite, which is easily my most-played console right now (it's too easy to play a little here, a little there, right before bed, which is almost the only time I'm at home lately).

DSi-only software is region locked - Joystiq

/tk
Old 10-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I doubt the DSi will region lock games - the DS hasn't ..

(other unlocked consoles are: PSP and PS3 incidentally)
Old 10-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I doubt the DSi will region lock games - the DS hasn't ..

(other unlocked consoles are: PSP and PS3 incidentally)

I know the DS/DS Lite hasn't locked, but the Wii *is* region locked, so until it comes out region-free or Nintendo issues a statement to the contrary, I think it's safe to bet that this report of the DSi being region locked is true.

/tk
Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I know the DS/DS Lite hasn't locked, but the Wii *is* region locked, so until it comes out region-free or Nintendo issues a statement to the contrary, I think it's safe to bet that this report of the DSi being region locked is true.

/tk

Yeah most likely you're right - sucky if it is though imho, not least because it means early adopters can't import consoles reliably.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-06-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #24
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
sucky if it is though imho, not least because it means early adopters can't import consoles reliably.

Completely sucky. That said, of course, it still goes back to the question, what kinds of games would be DSi-only? Right now the only "class" of games I can think of would be those that are DLC-style games and those that might use the camera..

It's definitely looking more and more likely that I'll be sticking with the DS Lite for a good long while. Good thing I have a massive backlog of games...

/tk
Old 10-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

“DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region,” said a statement given to UK consumer website CVG.
The statement reasons that region-locking its upcoming DS hardware upgrade is necessary as the new system will feature parental control features which will be dependent on each region’s unique age limit.
The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in the world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

Last edited by MJ4H : 10-06-2008 at 08:51 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
“DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region,” said a statement given to UK consumer website CVG.
The statement reasons that region-locking its upcoming DS hardware upgrade is necessary as the new system will feature parental control features which will be dependent on each region’s unique age limit.
The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in the world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

Do you have the link for that? I'd like to send it to somebody. The parental control features rationale seems fairly bogus, but oh well. At least they're keeping the "regular" DS games (those that work with the DS Lite, too) region-free still. I wonder, then, if it will apply for any other games other than downloadable games.

/tk
Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #27
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Do you have the link for that? I'd like to send it to somebody. The parental control features rationale seems fairly bogus, but oh well. At least they're keeping the "regular" DS games (those that work with the DS Lite, too) region-free still. I wonder, then, if it will apply for any other games other than downloadable games

Probably isn't 'bogus' to be honest - different regions have very different opinions of what is suitable for age groups.

A lot of Americans (and some of us English ) are shocked for instance at the 'standard' teleivision shows which are broadcast within Europe (as some many be somewhat risque) - similarly Japan (and likely some of the asian markets) have a larger tolerance for violence in cartoons etc. then most western audiences*.

*I remember for instance one of the martial arts weapons in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon was banned in England when I was a kid and so had to be 'dubbed' ..

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-07-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Probably isn't 'bogus' to be honest - different regions have very different opinions of what is suitable for age groups.

A lot of Americans (and some of us English ) are shocked for instance at the 'standard' teleivision shows which are broadcast within Europe (as some many be somewhat risque) - similarly Japan (and likely some of the asian markets) have a larger tolerance for violence in cartoons etc. then most western audiences*.

*I remember for instance one of the martial arts weapons in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon was banned in England when I was a kid and so had to be 'dubbed' ..

Heheh maybe "bogus" wasn't the best word...but honestly, if I were a 13 year old, I'm sure I could find a way around parental controls. Heck, I know I could, as I did when I was younger (parental controls on the TV come right to mind). So to say it's region locked for that reason seems...weak. I'm guessing it's got more to do with licesnses for downloaded items. Like if they have music, maybe the license is only applicable to US stuff (kind of like how iTunes UK is different than iTunes US). Maybe for the games that's the case, too. I guess the only real time to worry is if they make games that only work with the DSi. I guess we'll see.

/tk
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

Gamasutra - Nintendo: DSi Software Will Be Region-Locked
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #30
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

we have 4 DS's in the house and I'm sure I'll get a DSi when one of them croaks.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
we have 4 DS's in the house and I'm sure I'll get a DSi when one of them croaks.

You know, they are PORTABLE. You can take it outside of the bathroom if you choose to do so.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #32
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I guess the only real time to worry is if they make games that only work with the DSi. I guess we'll see.

This is a pure guess but I expect a lot of legacy games for download on the DSi (ie. old Gameboy games etc.) - they're small in size and will give decent return for no development from publisher perspectives.

I think most games will be DS/DSi with small 'nods' to the DSi initially - this is purely because of the huge existing DS user base.

Despite this expect a few unique DSi games to appear (mainly from Nintendo) which utilise the camera and suchlike) - I'm expecting at least one where you take a picture and it turns it into a puzzle of some sort for starters.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #33
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Some interesting postss came across my RSS reader today:

1) Nintendo Points won't transfer between Wii and DS (Joystiq). Seems silly to me, kind of kills the utility of having a common store, common cards, etc.

2) 5 Reasons Not to Buy A DSi (But Why I Probably Will Anyway) (Wired). Captures the essence of how Nintendo is apparently saying that this is going to be a 3rd console, not a replacement for the DS Lite. Also says something interesting, "The system also features on-board flash memory for use in storing titles procured from the newly revealed DSi Shop." When I was reading the news about the DSi, I always assumed that the SD card would be for game storage, but it seems (at least if this is true) that it's solely there for music and pictures.

/tk
Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #34
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Figured this was just as good a place as any to ask this, but I'm getting a Nintendo DS as a gift. Are there any must have games? Especially in the Puzzle, Strategy, RPG realm?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #35
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Figured this was just as good a place as any to ask this, but I'm getting a Nintendo DS as a gift. Are there any must have games? Especially in the Puzzle, Strategy, RPG realm?

Both Professor Layton games are fantastic and I'd highly recommend them to any puzzle game fan.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

RPGs:

Dragon Quest V is my favorite DS game and RPG. No other game has drawn me into the story quite like this one and made me really want to crush the enemies for what they've done. It also has a good difficulty curve and plenty of options for how to setup your party with the monster collecting and family members.

Dragon Quest IV is also good, I really liked the chapter system but the lack of party talk meant I couldn't get as into the story.

The World Ends With You is a love it/hate it game for most people, it depends on how much you enjoy using the stylus in combat.

Chrono Trigger is a classic if you never played it on the SNES.

Strategy:

Advance Wars series - Turn based strategywith army units battling on grids with unit building. Dual Strike has more modes and challenges to beat and a less dreary story but the I like the unit balance on Days of Ruin a little better.

Civilization: Revolution - less complex than Civ on PCs but still good. A full game from 4000 BC to modern day can be completed in 2-3 hours.

Puzzle:

Picross DS - hard to explain, here is a link to some online Picross puzzles playable from your browser or Wii browser to see if you like it.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For RPGs, I highly recommend The World Ends With You, tho it's a bit of a hybrid and not a strict RPG (think Kingdom Hearts). Tho the fight system isn't for everyone but the story more than makes up for it, in my book.

Also, the DS is pretty much getting the PS2 treatment in that most major RPG franchises are tossing an interation or two their way. Disgaea (what's currently in the DS), Shin Megami Tensei, Suikoden, and Valkyrie Profile have all put out DS versions in the last few months and a new DS-exclusive Kingdom Hearts is due out next month. There are tons of remakes, too: Final Fantasies 3 and 4, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Warriors 4/5 (and 1-3 on the GBA).

I love the Phoenix Wright games (lawyer puzzle/RPG) but they aren't for everyone. I still haven't played Professor Layton but they're both supposed to be excellent as well. There's the Mario and Luigi RPGs which have a fun quirky sense of humor and are competent RPGs as well.

For strategy, I've only played a couple. The Age of Empires is actually turn based and pretty fun but buggy. That said, if you've never played any Advance Wars games before and like turned based strat, do yourself a favor and go get Advance Wars: Dual Strike as one of the first couple you get for the system. There is a second AW (Days of Ruin) but I prefer the "older" style of Dual Strike. Or, if you got a DS that can play GBA games, Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2 are nice places to start with the story.

Lots of different puzzle games, too. The Tetris DS remake is quite good, tho the game isn't quite exactly the same. Still, it's a nice package. The downside is that it's really hard to find- it had a limited run due to licensing and so you're talking $40 or more for a game that's a couple of years old.

There are quite a few other puzzle games for the system as the Nintendo handhelds are good platforms for the genre. Meteos is pretty fun, tho I eventually got tired of it. There's Picross, which I haven't played but was well reviewed. There's the Brain Age games- tho those are as much "thought exercises" as puzzles.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Puzzle Quest. There's a newer one that I can't speak to as I haven't played (Galaxtrix, I believe) but the older one is excellent. It's a puzzle RPG where you level up your character by winning puzzle battles. Sounds like it would be perfect for you.

And if you can wait a month, there's Scribblenauts. The quote below from NeoGAF sold me on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOGAF
So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

So, off the top of my head, if I had to pick a first five games to get from those genres, I'd do Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Puzzle Quest, The World Ends With You, Tetris DS (if you can find it), and then... well, pick a 5th based on what genre you'd like to play a bit more- probably RPG would be your best bet.

SI

Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #38
SnDvls
Pro Starter

we're thinking of getting a DS for my 5-year old girl for x-mas.

Any good kid's games out there?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #39
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Is Dragon Quest V an import that I'd need to order online? I didn't see it locally anywhere.

First game I picked up was Advance Wars : Days of Ruin. Definitely liking it. Good change of pace to just play a game without worrying about all the bells and whistles. Reminds me of Military Madness on Turbografx 16 and we played the hell out of that.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #40
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Is Dragon Quest V an import that I'd need to order online? I didn't see it locally anywhere.

No, it was released in North America. I've read it might have sold out it's shipment so it might be hard to find in brick and mortar stores. Even a quick online search was unsuccessful, you might have to get a used copy on ebay or something.