Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

POL--Democratic Senator from state with Republican Governor has a stroke

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236369,00.html

For obvious reasons, this could end up being a huge bit of luck for the GOP that gives them control of the Senate.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

He's not dead yet!

He's getting better!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I went to law school and was pretty good friends with his son. Definitely thinking about the family.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

luck, schmuck. Where was Rove before this stroke happened?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
He's not dead yet!

He's getting better!

He'll be stone dead in a minute.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Johnson's office is now saying it wasn't a stroke or heart attack, but doctors are still working.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surely you didn't think that it would be this easy to get control back.....

j/k

I hope he gets better, the people of his state voted for him, and I'm not really a big fan when political appointments undo the will of the people.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 AM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

I had that conversation with my dad today, and he said "Hey, the people elected the governor, too."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Talking about democracy, fariness, justice, will of the people, and the like when dealing with the U.S. Senate is enough of a slippery slope as it is.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
luck, schmuck. Where was Rove before this stroke happened?

So that was who was in the video, walking behind the Senator and yelling "boo" every 30 seconds

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

An update from Johnson's attending physician:
Quote:
Subsequent to his admission to George Washington University Hospital, Senator Tim Johnson was found to have had intracerebral bleed, caused by Congenital Arteriovenous Malformation. He underwent sucessful surgery to evacuate the blood and stablize the malformation.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Countdown to some fucktard on national TV saying God gave him a brain hemmorhage to keep Republican control of the Senate in 3.. 2... 1.......
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
An update from Johnson's attending physician:
Subsequent to his admission to George Washington University Hospital, Senator Tim Johnson was found to have had intracerebral bleed, caused by Congenital Arteriovenous Malformation. He underwent sucessful surgery to evacuate the blood and stablize the malformation.

That's code for "Karl Rove put polonium in his Cheerios".
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

I thought it was clear that Congenital Arteriovenous Malformation was code for Cam Edwards did it?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #15
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Countdown to some fucktard on national TV saying God gave him a brain hemmorhage to keep Republican control of the Senate in 3.. 2... 1.......
I was thinking the same thing.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He's in critical condition after recovering from the surgery, but the doctor they had on the radio on the way in says usually, a full recovery (or a lot better recovery then after a stroke) is in the cards.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #17
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Actually I'm waiting for the conspiracy theories ala Paul Wellstone's plane crash.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #18
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

According to Senate rules, unless he dies or resigns, he doesn't give up the seat. So conspiracy or no, given his positive prognosis (thank goodness for him and his family), he will remain the Senator for the duration of his term.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What's worse is, the first thing I heard in passing about this on the radio was the political implications and it's not like the guy was dead yet and now, seems like he'll pull through.

But that sort of mentality shows why stuff is so screwed up, people are so much more concerned with counting beans than they are individual people.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is interesting..

Even if Johnson ultimately recovers from the congenital blood disorder known as arteriovenous malformation, which required emergency surgery Wednesday night, it now looks highly unlikely that he will healthy by Jan. 4. With Johnson unable to vote, Democrats still have enough to prevail, with 50 votes (including the two independent Senators, Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Bernie Sanders of Vermont) to 49 for the Republicans. But Democrats now fear the real possibility that Republicans will filibuster that resolution. They could insist — just as the Democrats did after the 2000 election that left the chamber evenly split, with Vice President Dick Cheney as the tie-breaker — on an "out clause" that stipulates that control of the chamber goes to them if they somehow manage to achieve a majority during the course of the session. As both sides remember, that clause came in handy for the Democrats a few months later, when Vermont's Jim Jeffords abruptly declared himself an independent and gave the Democrats a one-vote majority.

The same thing could happen again, in a Senate currently split 51-49 in favor of the Democrats, if Johnson or any other Democrat were to be replaced by a Republican. In Johnson's case, that would appear likely, because his replacement would be named by a Republican governor. State law requires that Gov. Michael Rounds make a "temporary appoinrtment, until a special election is held" — though it is unclear whether that election would occur before Johnson's term expires in 2008.

If the Republicans filibuster the organizing resolution and the question drags on into January or even beyond, it presents another truly extraordinary possibility: a chamber with a new Democratic leader, but the existing set of Republican committee chairmen. That is because, until an organizing resolution is passed, incoming Majority Leader Harry Reid would have no control over the committees.

The question of who runs the committees could have major policy implications. If Republicans took over, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, for example, would most likely be Arizona Republican John McCain, who advocates more troops in Iraq. If the Democrats retain control, it would be Michigan Democrat Carl Levin, who is arguing for a plan that would reduce the number there.

Although I would think fillibustering the organizing committee would be the WORST thing the Republicans can do. It would reenergize the Democrats into FIRMLY taking the 2008 Congressional/Presidential elections.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Although I would think fillibustering the organizing committee would be the WORST thing the Republicans can do.

There's some interesting scenarios there, but I don't think there's much chance of them happening. The GOP contingent has too many RINO's to ever hold the line long enough to win the procedural battle.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

And there is nothing more serious than a RINO about to charge your ass in a procedural battle.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
And there is nothing more serious than a RINO about to charge your ass in a procedural battle.

Nice

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote