Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Fastcrawl - quick fun RPG

I was checking out one of my favorite sites, Gametunnel, which reviews shareware games, and this week they have been awarding their game of the year award in various categories, today it was RPG. I checked it out, and I have tried some of the games, Empire and Dungeon is pretty good, but the top award went to a game I hadn't tried called Fastcrawl. Basically this is a game engine to generate very random dungeons that you explore with a random party of characters. I downloaded the demo and have had a blast so far, basically you get three starting characters from (I think) the normal four classes of Warrior, Rogue, Mage, and Cleric. In my party I don't have a cleric. You wander around the dungeon by clicking on doors to open them or segments of the dungeon to explore. There are monsters, traps, secret doors, and treasures to be found, and each time you get to the next level in the dungeon, your characters advance a level and get better stats and a choice of a few ability upgrades. You also find a variety of equipment as you explore that you can plug into gear slots to improve your character. You also have a supply element, which only gives you so many "moves" through the dungeon, if you run out, you lose, but you can find plenty of supply packs as you move around.

I think I like this game enough to buy it for $20, it's sort of like the rogue games, but easier in that it's graphical and the monsters don't move around, but for quick and fun dungeon exploring, it's cool!

Here's a shot of my current party, the blue swirly thing shows where I am, the evil eyes thing to the left indicates a monster.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

dola - I've played another game, it looks like the amount of characters you have can vary, the second mission after I lost the first was four characters, plus I rescued another one in the dungeon. Mage Power!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

linky?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

hxxp://www.pawleyscape.com/fastcrawl/
Old 12-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Fouts
College Starter

Trying it out, I like the music.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

How easy is it to gain supplies in the game? I don't think I'd like a RPG that much if it seemed all I was doing was searching for supplies...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Thank you sir. Gonna try this out as well.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Fouts
College Starter

Reminded me of a card type game (like magic). I see the character building stuff in one mission, but I don't think it carries over. So in the next mission you would start with level 1 characters again?

I'm more interesting in building a stable of adventurer types for the long haul. The game has potential.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Interesting game. Has potential so hopefully the developer will continue to expand the game beyond what it is right now.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Interesting game. Has potential so hopefully the developer will continue to expand the game beyond what it is right now.

Right, from the forums the developer (basically one guy) is definitely working on adding new features and making changes to the game, which is good, I know it was mentioned that he's going to try to open some of it up for players to make changes also, to create the possibility of mods.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Oh, thanks for posting this!

I've been playing more and more of these games that you can fire up and play in short sessions. This looks perfect.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Right, from the forums the developer (basically one guy) is definitely working on adding new features and making changes to the game, which is good, I know it was mentioned that he's going to try to open some of it up for players to make changes also, to create the possibility of mods.

Hmmm. One developer, working alone, making a very customizable game...

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Hmmm. One developer, working alone, making a very customizable game...

both working in fantasy...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Reminded me of a card type game (like magic).

Quest Cards?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:37 AM   #15
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Quest Cards?

The description reminds me of Hero Quest which has cards in it but plays nothing like magic. It is a quick dungeon crawl where you move your ( up to four ) heros around fighting monstercards and drawing treasure cards, using spell cards, etc. Fun game.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
The description reminds me of Hero Quest which has cards in it but plays nothing like magic. It is a quick dungeon crawl where you move your ( up to four ) heros around fighting monstercards and drawing treasure cards, using spell cards, etc. Fun game.

Love that game. Would buy the expansions for it but, they are out of production. The Elf expansion and Barbarian expansion go for about $250 on Ebay. I haven't tried Descent yet but, I believe it is the same.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

That's cool. I looked on the forum but couldn't find any posts by the developer discussing adding new features or anything, so I was thinking he might be just putting it out there and not really going to continue support for it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #18
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Love that game. Would buy the expansions for it but, they are out of production. The Elf expansion and Barbarian expansion go for about $250 on Ebay. I haven't tried Descent yet but, I believe it is the same.

You talking about Descent by Fantasy Flight?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
You talking about Descent by Fantasy Flight?

Yep, that one. Bought it but, haven't busted it out yet to play. (Add it to the stack o' games I have...)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've seen Descent on the table a lot at various board game events but haven't managed to play it yet, looks pretty fun. And yes, Fastcrawl really reminds me of Heroquest also.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

FWIW there is a computer version out there for HQ that I've played which is a very good and has modules out for it.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
FWIW there is a computer version out there for HQ that I've played which is a very good and has modules out for it.

Wouldn't happen to have a link would you?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #23
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

Sure would.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #24
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sure would.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

hxxp://www.allegro.cc/depot/project.php?_id=1054
Old 12-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #25
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

hxxp://www.allegro.cc/depot/project.php?_id=1054

Wow...thanks for the link. There are some other games on that site that interest me as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #26
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Wow...thanks for the link. There are some other games on that site that interest me as well.

Hey, for the guy who's links have brought many cool games to my attention, it was a pleasure.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #27
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep, that one. Bought it but, haven't busted it out yet to play. (Add it to the stack o' games I have...)

Descent is a good game. But, the scenario you play is very important. Also it depends on how evil the GM is in playing the creatures. Some scenarios are dependent upon speed, while others you need to be more deliberate. The one problem with the game is time, it can be a pretty long game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:40 AM   #28
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Fun little game. Seems like a ramped up Dungeon Hack game. I was browsing the messages boards and it seems like there is another game that I'd like to check out.. 'Fate' Haven't seen that one mentioned here (probably has though)
Old 12-16-2006, 02:53 AM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fun little game. Seems like a ramped up Dungeon Hack game. I was browsing the messages boards and it seems like there is another game that I'd like to check out.. 'Fate' Haven't seen that one mentioned here (probably has though)

It's a Diablo clone which is pretty fun. It's on the simple side. It has no classes per se. Each level you assign points to skills such as swords, shields, offensive magic etc.

You have a pet which fights with you and has an inventory. You can send the pet to town to sell his inventory whenever you like and you fight alone for a while. There are "kill the badguy" quests which give you rewards.

All in all, if you like diablo it's worth a look. It does have an easier interface.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
All in all, if you like diablo it's worth a look. It does have an easier interface.

Kept me up until 4:00 in the morning so, looks like my $20 will go to this one for now.