Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Montgomery banned, 100m record erased

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2257596

I know we don't have too many track and field fans on the board but I was wondering if anyone thought it could have a effect on the major sports here.

Short story

An athlete, who has not tested positive for a banned substance, has been suspended for doping based largely on the testimony of a fellow athlete. Talk about your slippery slope.

Thoughts?

P.S. I am not in anyway defending any steriod use.

Thoughts?

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Time to go back to the Charles Paddock record and start over.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

drugs are bad
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yikes...not sure what exactly to make of this.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Hurst2112
College Starter

sucks for those who placed behind this crook. they get the gold but not the glory of celebrating in the moment.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Hurst2112
College Starter

dola:

i use crook tongue in cheek.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
drugs are bad
Trust this man. He knows of what he speaks.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Short story
An athlete, who has not tested positive for a banned substance, has been suspended for doping based largely on the testimony of a fellow athlete. Talk about your slippery slope.
That's one way to look at it.

Here's another: this guy told a federal grand jury he was doped up, his name was all over Balco, and the fellow sprinter who sold him out had zero to gain by doing so. If you want to take the position that you must have a positive test to convict, then I guess he's innocent. But we already know how easy it is for elite atheletes to pass tests when they're doping, and if you're willing to look at circumstantial evidence than this guy was covered in it.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can they please, please, please ban Marion Jones(and even their offspring maybe) while they are at it. Cheating cheaters.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Cheater got his in the end.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is pretty harsh evidence.

The CAS panel cited other evidence submitted against Montgomery by USADA:

• blood test results from a Mexican laboratory in February 2000 allegedly showed Montgomery's testosterone level doubled in one day.

• evidence of possible masking in 59 urine tests from March 1999 to September 2004.

• abnormal blood test results on five occasions between November 2000 and July 2001.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So this is now the 2nd guy that Jones has been with that is doping, but somehow they can't nail her. She's frigging bulletproof.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
So this is now the 2nd guy that Jones has been with that is doping, but somehow they can't nail her. She's frigging bulletproof.
No, she is actually a man
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
This is pretty harsh evidence.

The CAS panel cited other evidence submitted against Montgomery by USADA:

• blood test results from a Mexican laboratory in February 2000 allegedly showed Montgomery's testosterone level doubled in one day.

• evidence of possible masking in 59 urine tests from March 1999 to September 2004.

• abnormal blood test results on five occasions between November 2000 and July 2001.
What the heck is this? It was at the end of the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espn.com New Services
Montgomery and Gaines were among dozens of athletes who testified in 2003 before a federal grand jury in San Francisco probing BALCO. Montgomery testified that in 2001 Conte gave him weekly doses of human growth hormone and the "clear," the San Francisco Chronicle reported in June 2004.

ESPN The Magazine published details last year of a plan Montgomery and Conte came up with in 2000 to turn him into the world's fastest man. The plan -- "Project World Record" -- allegedly called for Montgomery to take THG.
Makes it sound like he admited to doping in 2001. With all of the circumstantial evidence pointing to multiple incidents, ban him for life. He will cheat when he comes back.

I remember back in the 80's when the NCAA first introduced steroid testing. It was freakin funny. Randy Barnes and all the top tier shot putters actually took an entire year off, to clear their systems.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
What the heck is this? It was at the end of the article.

Makes it sound like he admited to doping in 2001. With all of the circumstantial evidence pointing to multiple incidents, ban him for life. He will cheat when he comes back.

I remember back in the 80's when the NCAA first introduced steroid testing. It was freakin funny. Randy Barnes and all the top tier shot putters actually took an entire year off, to clear their systems.

Wasnt the decision of Jones to have Montgomery's lovechild a bit strange....she could avoid testing for like a year due to pregnacy, IIRC.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:52 AM   #16
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
That's one way to look at it.

Here's another: this guy told a federal grand jury he was doped up, his name was all over Balco, and the fellow sprinter who sold him out had zero to gain by doing so. If you want to take the position that you must have a positive test to convict, then I guess he's innocent. But we already know how easy it is for elite atheletes to pass tests when they're doping, and if you're willing to look at circumstantial evidence than this guy was covered in it.

If I remember correctly, White got a reduced sentence for her cooperation in the investigation. Not sure on that. Anyways, I am just wondering where it goes. The court's own words state that the decision was based largely on White's testimony. It could not look at the grand jury testimony. So could Jose Canseco, near the end of his playing career, come out and say that McGwire was on steriods and get him suspended? Or how about that Doctor who says he discussed "performance enhancing drugs" with the members of the Panthers? How about that sudden 20 pound weight gain? Is that enough to get those players suspended?

Again, I am not advocating steriod use nor am I defending Montgomery. This is just the first time I have heard of "plea bargins" and using the testimony of the "convicted" athlete against another athlete.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #17
Subby
lolzcat

Mike and Mike made an interesting point this morning about how this approach should be applied to other sports..
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #18
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
drugs are bad

mmKay...

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #19
Toddzilla