Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

PING: Anyone who has had to apply to a specific program in college

My girlfriend is a student at Michigan State, and is waiting to hear back from the Nursing School there. It should be tomorrow or so, since her friend who lives in a surrounding city found out today.

She is ususally optimistic, but regardining getting into Nursing School, she is a wreck, assuming she won't get in.

The problem I have with this is she has a 4.0 GPA.

Now I know there are other things programs look for, such as letters of reccomendation, of which she has two very good ones, as well as an entrance essay and a resume.

Am I being wrong in thinking she is crazy to think she won't get in? Her essay and resume were both very good as well, but even so, isn't GPA the biggest thing these programs look at?

Thus I ping those who've applied to programs like this, to see if anyone has any advice or what have you.

I'm just really interested because I feel like she'll have no problem getting in, but she refuses to believe me.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 11-28-2008 at 03:05 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I hate to burst your bubble, but GPA isn't the end-all/be-all.

The personal statement, the interview (if there is one), the recommendations, and the extra-curricular activities quite often mean a lot more than GPA in those types of schools.

I knew a kid who had a 3.9 GPA and got a 41-R on his MCAT and didn't get in to any med schools until his 3rd time applying, where he changed his personal statement and such. (Edit to add: this kid in particular is an utter tool, and I'm sure that when he wrote his statement and went on interviews, people were able to see right through him. It actually kind of makes me sad that he finally got in.)

Fingers crossed for your girlfriend, good luck!

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 11-28-2008 at 03:10 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but GPA isn't the end-all/be-all.

The personal statement, the interview (if there is one), the recommendations, and the extra-curricular activities quite often mean a lot more than GPA in those types of schools.

I knew a kid who had a 3.9 GPA and got a 41-R on his MCAT and didn't get in to any med schools until his 3rd time applying, where he changed his personal statement and such.

/tk

I can believe that.

There was no interview for the nursing school.

She also has volunteered throughout high school for several groups/clubs and in college she has done several things for the nursing society or whatever it is.

Her biggest knock is her work experience. She only worked retail in high school and such, and helped out a dental office. I am not sure if they want experience within a doctors office or whatever, but I feel like not many people have access to that kind of experience.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have several good friends who are nurses. Experience with doctor's offices aren't an issue. A good GPA, good extracurriculars, and good reference statements are the key. From what you have said, your girlfriend should have no problem getting in. One thing to remember is that there is a continued severe national shortage of nurses, as a result, schools are as relaxed as ever about their criteria for admission.

Edit: It also helps to have a good essay exam as well, I'm sure.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-28-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just got into University of Washington as a transfer student and I was also a wreck before I got official word. I think it is just a normal tendancy to brace yourself for the worst.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Perhaps she is concerned about her performance on the "oral" portion of the exam....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote