Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Schmidty
Coordinator

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

I'm really excited about the expansion finally coming out. It'll be in stores on tuesday, and my wife and I already have ours pre-ordered and purchased. We've both been playing since WOW came out 2 years ago, so this is something we've looked forward to for a while.

Is anyone else here still playing and planning on getting the expansion?

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-13-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

Yes. Sadly, by the time I had put any significant time in, I found out I was on a server different from all of you guys. My main is a 53 Gnome Rogue on Detheroc.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im still playing. probably will get burning crusade eventually
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Yes. Sadly, by the time I had put any significant time in, I found out I was on a server different from all of you guys. My main is a 53 Gnome Rogue on Detheroc.

Our guild transfered over to a new server recently (Uldaman). My wife and I transfered our two mains, which unfortunately costs $25 a piece. Ugh.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Brillig
College Prospect

Heh, I'd probably still be playing if it weren't for the previews of Burning Crushing Waste of Time.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

My wife is playing again with the expansion coming out. Looks like she'll be a Draenai priest and I'll be a mage on Fenris, one of the newer servers. Should be fun. I'm looking forward to having an elephant mount.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

I started playing in July. i've got the expansion preordered but there is some major political bullshit going on within my guild. Even though I'm on the "right" side of the fallout, its putting a lot of people in tough positions with server transfers and I'm debating whether to continue playing with this group, or go elsewhere, or quit altogether. I would like to see the new content though, I've been avoiding reading about it b/c I like to see stuff fresh.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
Heh, I'd probably still be playing if it weren't for the previews of Burning Crushing Waste of Time.

Previews look great to me. The new additions should be great.

Oh well, to each their own.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
My wife is playing again with the expansion coming out. Looks like she'll be a Draenai priest and I'll be a mage on Fenris, one of the newer servers. Should be fun. I'm looking forward to having an elephant mount.

Heh, I'd love to roll a Draeni, but we're Horde, so I'll be making a Blood Elf Paladin.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I started playing in July. i've got the expansion preordered but there is some major political bullshit going on within my guild. Even though I'm on the "right" side of the fallout, its putting a lot of people in tough positions with server transfers and I'm debating whether to continue playing with this group, or go elsewhere, or quit altogether. I would like to see the new content though, I've been avoiding reading about it b/c I like to see stuff fresh.

Come on over to Uldaman. We'd love to have you, and our guild is a great group. Plus my wife's the Guild Master.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
WVUFAN
College Starter

I play off and on. I'm on PvE servers, because I get killed too often on PVP servers. My biggest character is a Human Warrior, Level 35.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Previews look great to me. The new additions should be great.

Oh well, to each their own.

I'm with Schmidty on this one. Not sure what about the expansion would turn you off...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

hehe thats the server im on
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I play alot on Khaz'goroth (oceanic server) working nights.. and the prime time for aussies being the time i'm awake at home is perfect..

i'm working on my 4th level 60.. (alliance priest, Alliance warlock(Both on alleria), Horde mage are 60(khaz) my horde warrior is 54.. also Khaz

If any of you work nights like me and wanted help or a foothold on khaz.. i'd be willing to help

Last edited by Ragone : 01-13-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Heh, I'd love to roll a Draeni, but we're Horde, so I'll be making a Blood Elf Paladin.

I'll admit I quit a few months back and know nothing about the expansion, but... a Horde Paladin? WTF!!!
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
Vince
Pro Starter

The two new races (Draenei for Alliance, Blood Elf for Horde) can each choose the opposing faction's 'unique' class. So you can now be an Alliance Shaman, as well.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #17
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm with Schmidty on this one. Not sure what about the expansion would turn you off...

I liked the fact that you could play on a PvE server and only engage in PvP when you were in the mood for it. But since the high-level expansion content is all PvP, all the time, my money goes elsewhere, all the time.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

lvling
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Over 8 million people now play WoW. I am not one of them. Maybe one day I will try it.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #20
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
lvling

You don't like to level? You do realize this is an RPG, right?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
Atocep
Coordinator

I have 2 60s on Deathwing (rogue, priest) and did the end-game raiding thing up until a few months ago. Definitely looking forward to the new content and doing something other than pvp, which is about the only thing I've done in the game since I quit raiding.

Here's a list of instances that will be added:

5 mans instances:
Hellfire Citadel - Ramparts - Level 60-62
Hellfire Citadel - Blood Furnace - Level 61-63
Coilfang Reservoir - The Slave Pens - Level 62-64
Coilfang Reservoir - The Underbog - Level 63-65
Auchindoun - The Mana Tombs - Level 64-66
Auchindoun - Auchenai Crypts - Level 65-67
Caverns of Time - Escape from Durnholde - Level 66-68
Auchindoun - Sethekk Halls - Level 67-69
Tempest Keep - The Mechanar - Level 69-70
Hellfire Citadel - The Shattered Halls - Level 70
Coilfang Reservoir - The Steam Vault - Level 70
Caverns of Time - Opening the Dark Portal - Level 70
Tempest Keep - The Botanica - Level 70
Tempset Keep - The Arcatraz - Level 70
Auchindoun - The Shadow Labyrinth - Level 70

10 mans instances:
Karazhan - Level 70

25 mans instances:
Blade's Edge Mountains - Gruul's Lair - Level 70
Hellfire Citadel - Magtheridon's Lair - Level 70
Coilfang Reservoir - Serpentshrine Cavern - Level 70
Tempest Keep - The Eye - Level 70
Caverns of Time - Battle for Mount Hyjal - Level 70
Shadowmoon Valley - The Black Temple - Level 70

I certainly wouldn't say the focus of end-game in the expansion is PvP.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #22
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Over 8 million people now play WoW. I am not one of them. Maybe one day I will try it.

Actually, it's like one million people, plus seven million chinese gold farmers...
Old 01-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
You don't like to level? You do realize this is an RPG, right?

I hated lvling. I realize it's an RPG, but it was just too repetitive for me. I always had to set goals to keep me motivated, and I know I won't have near the time I used to have to just grind/instance/quest so 10 more lvls just put me off. :/
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'll be making one of those too I think. I've mostly played on the Horde side, the highest I've ever reached on alliance is 26.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #25
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I liked the fact that you could play on a PvE server and only engage in PvP when you were in the mood for it. But since the high-level expansion content is all PvP, all the time, my money goes elsewhere, all the time.

I think you need to read more about the expansion, because what you just said is certainly not the case. There a few new PvP things such as the Arena, but nobody forces you to PvP. It's a small portion of the expansion. The bulk of the expansion is a whole new contenent, areas, 5 and 10 man instances, raid instances, items, races, a new profession, ability, raised level cap, etc. The fact that 40 man raids are being replaced by 25 person raids is another huge aspect, especially for more casual gamers.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #26
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, it's like one million people, plus seven million chinese gold farmers...

You don't like the game. We get it. Now go away.

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-13-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #27
Brillig
College Prospect

Nice edit.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You would be wrong.

World of Warcraft has also achieved new regional subscriber milestones, with more than 2 million players in North America, more than 1.5 million players in Europe and more than 3.5 million players in China, according to the company.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #29
Brillig
College Prospect

Gosh, only 40% or so are gold farmers. Gee, I exaggerated, how will I live with the shame
Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #30
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Gosh, only 40% or so are gold farmers. Gee, I exaggerated, how will I live with the shame

Because if they're from china they must be gold farmers!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #31
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Nice edit.

I'm trying to cut down on my swearing.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'll be getting it . I just started playing in like November (I think it was). I play casually. A few hours a week, mostly soloing (or joining with whoever is doing the quest at the same time I'm on). I'm on Undermine and a lvl 35 Night Elf Druid.

Though these days I'm spending quite a bit of time making sure all my UI addons are updated . Especially with the new patches (2.0 and 2.0.3)
Old 01-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #33
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'll be getting it . I just started playing in like November (I think it was). I play casually. A few hours a week, mostly soloing (or joining with whoever is doing the quest at the same time I'm on). I'm on Undermine and a lvl 35 Night Elf Druid.

Though these days I'm spending quite a bit of time making sure all my UI addons are updated . Especially with the new patches (2.0 and 2.0.3)

I wish they had more solo content. I think I actually prefer it that way, I like to solo quite a bit. Not a fan of large raids -- too many stupid people ruining things.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
I wish they had more solo content. I think I actually prefer it that way, I like to solo quite a bit. Not a fan of large raids -- too many stupid people ruining things.

Well, I heard Druids were a good class to solo with (even though they have plenty of drawbacks), so that's why I picked them.

I'm doing well so far soloing. Probably when I get higher up, I'll have to do more stuff with my guild and join up in parties.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #35
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm curious - I've avoided WOW like the plague because the stuff I like in RPG's is heavy on the storyline, the "history" - ie, KOTOR 1 and 2 Are probably the only RPG's I've played in years (though I've been told Jade Empire is up my alley). In essence, I generally like doing it alone. Is WOW likely to hold any appeal for me, or should I be looking for something like EVE online instead?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #36
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Maybe I'm an exception, but leveling is ALL I like to do. I have 3 60s (hunter, priest and druid) and a 58 mage I am playing now (also a 42 rogue).

Every time I get to 60, I do a bit of end game raid crap but it bores me to go to the same place over and over trying to get the few pieces I need and hope I don't get out rolled (or out bidded if DKP), so I start anew.

Looking forward to all the new stuff and leveling some more. (though actually my play time has decreased a good bit recently for a myriad of reasons)
Old 01-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #37
Vince
Pro Starter

I always avoided MMORPGs until now...but Warcraft has hooked me incredibly so. I love to solo, but getting a good 5-man group together on the fly to run through an instance is amazing. I can't wait to hit 60 and try some of the end-game content and some of the larger raids, because I think it would be amazing, though difficult to pull off.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #38
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I'm curious - I've avoided WOW like the plague because the stuff I like in RPG's is heavy on the storyline, the "history" - ie, KOTOR 1 and 2 Are probably the only RPG's I've played in years (though I've been told Jade Empire is up my alley). In essence, I generally like doing it alone. Is WOW likely to hold any appeal for me, or should I be looking for something like EVE online instead?

It could. If you've played the Warcraft series then there is a ton of storyline stuff in the game along with some nifty references to pop culture, classic video games, ect. There storyline is really hard to follow if you haven't played WCIII, though.

However, WoW has sort of become the McDonalds of MMOs due to its enormous popularity. Its going to hard to get into the story and really experience it on most servers unless you do a lot of soloing, which means you miss out on the instances which can have some of the best storylines.

Most of the big RPG fans that I've known that have tried the game are really pulled in early on, but kind of get bored with the game before they get a character to 60, but the expansion offers even more story driven content, so its tough to say.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-14-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And, of course, you can go all out on Wikipedia and wowwiki.com and read up on the lore and become something of a lore nerd. There are plenty of folks on the official forums who like that sort of stuff. I've told myself that one day I need to read through all that stuff, but I haven't had the time yet. Maybe one weekend, I'll just nerd out on it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #40
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post

Every time I get to 60, I do a bit of end game raid crap but it bores me to go to the same place over and over trying to get the few pieces I need and hope I don't get out rolled (or out bidded if DKP), so I start anew.

That was the part I loved, especially the strategy involving DKP. I was able to work the system and was the first hunter in my guild to get the DS helm when we finally dropped Onyxia, and also was able to get the GS chestplate (which never dropped for us ever) thanks to careful planning with my DKP. The rush of when the boss was down to 1% and you saw something you need drop was the best part of the game. For me at least.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #41
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I have mine pre-ordered along with a copy for the fiancee.

I'm looking forward to it but also with some concern, largely because my raiding guild will probably out-level me very quickly. Whether that will affect my enjoyment, I don't know yet.

Also, I stopped raiding about a month or so back (seen about half of Naxx) and I have to say I don't miss it ... which makes me wonder whether I will continue to play WoW much more once I hit 70.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #42
Vince
Pro Starter

What's really driving me is a desire to simply see all the instances. After seeing all the cookie-cutter houses in the different villages like Goldshire/Westfall/Eastvale Logging Camp, seeing the pirate ship room in the Deadmines was an eye-opening experience for me. Recently running Mauradon was fantastic, and now I want to just see every instance, and experience the cool aspects of the instances.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #43
Vince
Pro Starter

I'm also enjoying the new goal of collecting the armor sets for my character. My Rogue is just now starting to get some Shadowcraft gear (Tier 0), and it'll be fun to collect it all.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #44
Vince
Pro Starter

And for the triple-dola...

The vastness of the world is one of the major draws for me, as after putting in over 200 hours, I still haven't seen everything. I think that Blizzard has put together a very balanced game...my Rogue is incredibly strong against casters and others who wear light armor, while he tends to falter a bit against heavy armor wearers. While with skill I can take down anyone, it's much, MUCH more difficult fighting against characters/enemies that my class is not designed to defeat. Banding together with another character of a different class exponentially increases my capabilities, and is fun in the process.

On top of all of that, my character itself is incredibly versatile. The three-fold talent set of each character class ensures that there is a tremendous variety even amongst characters of the same class. For instance, Rogues have three talent trees: Assassination, Combat and Subtlety. While I loved my Subtlety build for a while, I recently re-specced my character to Assassination, and it's interesting to learn my new talents and skills.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:59 AM   #45
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And for the triple-dola...

The vastness of the world is one of the major draws for me, as after putting in over 200 hours, I still haven't seen everything. I think that Blizzard has put together a very balanced game...my Rogue is incredibly strong against casters and others who wear light armor, while he tends to falter a bit against heavy armor wearers. While with skill I can take down anyone, it's much, MUCH more difficult fighting against characters/enemies that my class is not designed to defeat. Banding together with another character of a different class exponentially increases my capabilities, and is fun in the process.

On top of all of that, my character itself is incredibly versatile. The three-fold talent set of each character class ensures that there is a tremendous variety even amongst characters of the same class. For instance, Rogues have three talent trees: Assassination, Combat and Subtlety. While I loved my Subtlety build for a while, I recently re-specced my character to Assassination, and it's interesting to learn my new talents and skills.

Balance is a joke. Sorry to disagree but in terms of PvP, some classes are overpowered (warlocks) and others are definitely underpowered (warriors). This remains one of my issues with WoW, amongst others.

As for the 3 trees thing .. while it theoretically lends itself to variety, end of the day that doesn't happen. Most raiders/PvP'ers that are more than casual will spec a certain way for a certain role.

I like the game (I used to love it) but definitely not for the reasons you listed
Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 AM   #46
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'll agree with Vince on this one, I think the balance is decent. But I also am not a big PvP'er (other than an occasional battleground instance, of defending yet another of the oh so original horde attacks on Sentinel Hill). What is the challenge of attacking a low level area with your group of 60's? It would be like Shaq beating a group of 3rd graders and pounding his chest with pride.

At least do something with a little more style (like taking over a zepplin). Or a full scale raid of a major city.

But to reply about the expansion, yes I am looking forward to getting back and playing it. Hopefully all of the bugs will bed worked out by then and the response time on the servers will be straightened out. Now if we could get rid of those annoying gold farmers.

We should do a reposting here of character information to update where we are so if any of us are on the same server we can group up from time to time, for those who would like.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #47
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
At least do something with a little more style (like taking over a zepplin). Or a full scale raid of a major city.

Like taking over a whole bunch of horde cities, including the 3 main ones, simultaenously That's what we did on Dark Iron recently (month back or so) .. something like 20-30 40-man raids disrupting the Horde .. good times.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:33 AM   #48
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Like taking over a whole bunch of horde cities, including the 3 main ones, simultaenously That's what we did on Dark Iron recently (month back or so) .. something like 20-30 40-man raids disrupting the Horde .. good times.

now that's what I'm talking about, bravo
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #49
Rizon
Pro Starter

I got WoW last year, and I have a 60 Warlock that I'm really big into PvP with. I'm pretty hardcore and run with Sc0rn almost every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #50
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Balance is a joke. Sorry to disagree but in terms of PvP, some classes are overpowered (warlocks) and others are definitely underpowered (warriors). This remains one of my issues with WoW, amongst others.

As for the 3 trees thing .. while it theoretically lends itself to variety, end of the day that doesn't happen. Most raiders/PvP'ers that are more than casual will spec a certain way for a certain role.

I like the game (I used to love it) but definitely not for the reasons you listed

Well, I'm not very big into PvP, and I've heard many people complain about this. Yet my brother's 60 Warrior has only been really taken to town one time. He can hang with just about everyone (granted, he has the full Grand Marshal's set for defense).

Though you're right that there are a few builds, and those are the key builds for the class, the different specs make the characters suited for different roles. While there isn't the crazy amount of variety that Blizzard probably wanted, there IS some variety there.