Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Question FOF 4- Franchise Player Designations

I was wondering what you guys do with them? I don't use them ever. It seemed every time I did use one the player became angry with my team. I am not sure if it is a bug or what. I am hoping this thread can have someone explain it for me.

INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:48 PM   #2
Easy Mac

Players tend not to like these. It doesn't let them become the highest player, and it is normally for 1 year. Most guys would rather be on the open market.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I am admittatly new to the FOF games. (I played TCY a lot) However, I have played a few seasons of FOF4 and I still have no idea how to set the franchise tag. I don't do a lot of contract re-negotiation, I just re-sign free agents when their contract expires. Is the tag set during re-negotiation? How do I know who my franchise player is? I know this may be like a pac-man player asking what the ghosts do, but I really have never had any idea on where to find this feature. (Jim's help option explains franchise player, but doesn't tell where to set it)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd
I am admittatly new to the FOF games. (I played TCY a lot) However, I have played a few seasons of FOF4 and I still have no idea how to set the franchise tag. I don't do a lot of contract re-negotiation, I just re-sign free agents when their contract expires. Is the tag set during re-negotiation? How do I know who my franchise player is? I know this may be like a pac-man player asking what the ghosts do, but I really have never had any idea on where to find this feature. (Jim's help option explains franchise player, but doesn't tell where to set it)

To set a franchise player:

During the last year of his contract, don't renegotiate during a season.

During the ticket adjustment portion of the offseason, you can set his franchise tag.

Go on the player's card. ON there you should see the button that says designation. Click that and say yes. He will automatically be assigned the average of the top 5 players at his position. You can check that out at the bottom of the card.

Then, to extend the deal, negotiate with him right before training camp, I think.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks. I tried finding the franchise tag for Orlando Pace during my first season with the Rams. (Because I knew the same thing was happening during real life) But I don't think I ever tried during the ticket part. (Or I didn't know to go to the card) Thanks for the info!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I only use this on veteran players who I think are in their last year of playing, i.e. Marshall Faulk. I couldn't afford his salary demands, but I figured after the next year he would be on the decline if he decided to stay active.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #7
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I have never used the tag. In real life, teams seldom use it because they know it just pisses the guy off and he probably won't resign. I'm not for really big contracts. My strategy is to try and resign a guy either one or two years before his final and try to get him lower than market value. Takes the risk of the guy going downhill, but eliminates those rediculous $10m per year contracts. I will never sing a guy to one of those. I'll trade or let him go first.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
WebEwbank
High School JV

I use it about 30% of the time, almost always when I simply don't have enough dough to resign my core players. With the way the cap and salaries rise in FOF4, it's hard to always resign your top 25-30 players - and you need to - because cohesion matters a lot.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 03:26 AM   #9
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Can someone explain me the difference between a :

- transition tag
and
- franchise tag

???
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #10
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

A transition tag means the team has the right to match any offer from another team. The player can still sign with another team, but if his current team wants to keep him at the same price as was offered, they can. A franchise tag automatically signs the player to a 1 year contract equal to the average of the top 5 players at that position.

From John Clayton:
Transition tags: Corey Dillon of the Bengals received the transition tag by the Bengals. That means he was offered the average of the top 10 salary cap numbers at his position in a one-year tender. He can bring back any offer to the Bengals and give them seven days to match. If the Bengals don't match, Dillon moves without draft compensation.

Franchise tags: These are more restrictive. Teams offer players the average of the top five cap numbers at their position to restrict their movement. If a team signs a franchise player, they may have to give a team two first-round choices or work out a trade satisfactory to that team. One problem with the franchise tag is that teams like to keep them year in and year out. If a team re-signs their franchise player before July 15, they lose the ability to franchise future players for the length of the contract. What teams do is sign the player to the one-year offer and then renegotiate an extension after July 15.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 02-18-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:18 AM   #11
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

great.
thanks for this explanation Noble.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

no problem DK.
YOu have a PM. Let me know what you think.