Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
TroyF
Coordinator

The 25 Hour Install of Windows Vista

I have to upgrade to Vista for work purposes. I figured that if they are paying for it, what the hell?

So Friday night at 7 PM I shut down all running programs and processes (save the ones windows needs to operate) and inserted the Windows Premium Home Edition Upgrade in my system.

I figured by 9 that night I'd be screwing around with Vista to see what it could do.

Not so much. At 9 that night it had finished the first process and had started to do the second. By 1 AM, the second process was 8% complete. When I woke up at 7, it was now at 21% complete. Once you get this far in, you are pretty much screwed, so I figured I'd see if anythign worked and format the drive and try again after it finished up.

I got back at home at around 5PM Saturday and it was in the final stages of the install. Keep in mind, this is my comptuer, the final stages took 3 hours. At 8 PM Saturday night the Vista opening screen appeared on my system for the first time.

Now for the strange part. Everything not only works, but my computer is faster than it has ever been. The aero interface flies. A strange error I was having with OOTP in long term sims doesn't exist. Everything is fast as lightning. Not a single thing stopped working.

I've talked with some friends on IM and the only thing anyone has an idea on is that there may have been something corrupt in my data files that Vista repaired. If that's the case, these problems have been there from the first install of XP.

There is nothing wrong with my DVD drive. (I installed a game afterward on it and it went smoothly) I'm really at a loss. I think I'll email MS tomorrow and tell em the install is still going and see if they have any ideas as to why. Any ideas from the comptuer gurus here?

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

Since it was the upgrade version you were using, I'd have to think there was something wrong with your XP installation.

My first thought was there was something wrong with your DVD drive, but if you installed something fine afterwards that pretty much rules that out.

The only other thing I can think of, and I don't want to make you paranoid, is there may be some problems with clusters in your hardrive. If thats the case it could work fine for months and months or it could go downhill quickly. I'd run a hardrive check to see if there's any bad clusters, and if not, I'd still make sure all important stuff stays backed up for the time being.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Since it was the upgrade version you were using, I'd have to think there was something wrong with your XP installation.

My first thought was there was something wrong with your DVD drive, but if you installed something fine afterwards that pretty much rules that out.

The only other thing I can think of, and I don't want to make you paranoid, is there may be some problems with clusters in your hardrive. If thats the case it could work fine for months and months or it could go downhill quickly. I'd run a hardrive check to see if there's any bad clusters, and if not, I'd still make sure all important stuff stays backed up for the time being.

I always keep everything important backed up and if a part of the computer is going to go, I'd rather it be the hard drive than just about anything else.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the XP install had to be corrupt in some way. Either way, it's all working for the time being, so I'm happy. I certainly won't be going back to XP on this system now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote