Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Survivor: Triple-H (Spoilers)

Starting out with a bang!

I loved it when Jeff announced this year's twist: There is a Gorn on the island! You might have to fight him.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-28-2017 at 03:01 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:04 AM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Seriously starting out as one of the worst seasons ever.

I can just hear Mark Burnett screaming into his phone at the casting director.
His precious Superidol plan failed for the second season in a row.

Plus that was one poorly conceived immunity challenge...only slightly better than the Pointed-Stick-Maze-Of-Doom that impaled Jonathan Penner.

They built 9 table mazes...and they only needed to build 3...

Then both teams in first gave the easiest one to the team in last. WTF...

And Alan going full attack mode and then revealing it at tribal as "a strategy"...heh.

The only ones I liked so far were the two on the hustler tribe that had the superidol.

oh yeah the boat beginning was just bad. Not allowing them to put food directly on the boat basically made it impossible to get just about anything.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-28-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Very strange first episode.

I don't understand why the woman didn't use the idol to save what looked like the only ally that she had. She could have broken up the power couple early.

I don't understand the picking of the table mazes. "WTF, the first team just chose the most complicated. The second team is going to be happy about.. WTF!!!"

How complicated can it be to learn how to paddle a boat? That team seemed to have no clue how to turn their boat.

Who is that football player? Didn't look up what his name is. I don't think he is going to last too long, he seems really unstable.

Ali is HOT!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

I can just hear Mark Burnett screaming into his phone at the casting director.
His precious Superidol plan failed for the second season in a row.

I don't think Chrissy had to to give the Super Idol back to production so it could still potentially be used as a super convincing fake idol. Also, I think the transfer of the idol probably slightly increases the chances of an alliance between Chrissy and Ryan later.

A bit ho hum of a premiere but didn't think it was terrible.

Based on the pre-game interviews from Rob Has a Podcast I'm looking forward to watching Joe, Mike, Roark, Ryan, and Ashley while I think Ben looks like he could be a really tough player to beat. It'll be interesting to see how Jessica (lives in the same city as me) and Chrissy (same profession as me, actuarial) do though neither person's interview made me particularly excited about them.

Also a little interesting tidbit about this season (I guess it could be considered a slight spoiler but not really):

Spoiler
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Very strange first episode.

I don't understand why the woman didn't use the idol to save what looked like the only ally that she had. She could have broken up the power couple early.

I don't understand the picking of the table mazes. "WTF, the first team just chose the most complicated. The second team is going to be happy about.. WTF!!!"

How complicated can it be to learn how to paddle a boat? That team seemed to have no clue how to turn their boat.

Who is that football player? Didn't look up what his name is. I don't think he is going to last too long, he seems really unstable.

Ali is HOT!!!

Editing. In the one post game interview I listened to it sounded like Chrissy worked hard to get the votes on Katrina. It was probably to save herself but it sounded like they were never allies.

Even if they were allies Chrissy would then be in a 3 to 2 minority where the 3 are pissed at her. The "alliance" of four is super unstable so I don't think there would be any reason to stick out your neck that early for someone else.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Alan Ball. Played for the Cowboys and Jaguars mainly.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

that was scary...

I haven't been that scared since Lex and Rupert...
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Not sure if this can be said enough... Ali is HOT!!!

I think she just keeps getting hotter too!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think she just keeps getting hotter too!

Yes!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Ali is hot. Simone will be missed as well.

Man, Patrick was an ODD fellow
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

Spoiler

Happy this didn't end up having an impact on the season.

Here's an article on it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...erview-1048039

Last edited by Racer : 10-12-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Roark =

Laurie from Silicon Valley
Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OK, explain this to me like I'm a Habs fan...

This week's pre-tribal segment was basically about Ben's alliance (the heroes and hustlers) against Joe's (the healers). The Bens are worried that Joe might have another idol, so they decide to split their vote. But Lauren has an advantage which costs her this week's vote, and that screws everything up. Ben panics, because now he doesn't have the numbers for a split and he's at risk.

But... wait. They never had enough to split the vote, at least assuming that Joe's group stays together. The best they could do was a 4-3-4, which means if Joe plays an idol for the right person, they lose. There's no difference between voting 4-3-4 or voting 4-2-4, or just having everyone vote for the same person.

Am I missing something, or was the whole pre-tribal segment just a big red herring?

(Also, did I miss it or did nobody seem to notice that there was a vote missing?)

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-16-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #15
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

You aren't missing something. Their math is terrible.

And these people suck like never before.

FIrst Jessica then Ali now Desi

I guess AShley next then?

I can hear EagleFan crying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" from here!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-16-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

seriously i have no idea why they did not get rid of joe since he obviously does not have an idol after the first vote

also I wasn't certain if Lauren needed to "NOT VOTE" during the second vote or not. She thought she did at least
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #17
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I think Desi was probably the better choice.

She wasn't pissing people off like Joe meaning she's far more likely to actually integrate into the majority alliance and win if she gets to the end. Joe, on the other hand, most likely won't win even if he gets to the end since he is grating on people.

She won the first individual immunity challenge and got third place in the second individual immunity challenge.

So Desi is more of a social and individual immunity threat while Joe is more of a threat to find a hidden immunity idol.

I think the editing has painted Joe as the bigger threat as Desi has been mostly invisible throughout the season.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I saw the pre-tribal segment again when the wife was catching up on PVR. Ben and company are all worried about the vote-splitting, then they explain the situation to Dr. Mike and it's never brought up again after that. Would be willing to bet that Mike was like "You idiots, that's not how the math works" and that's why it never went anywhere after that.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #19
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I saw the pre-tribal segment again when the wife was catching up on PVR. Ben and company are all worried about the vote-splitting, then they explain the situation to Dr. Mike and it's never brought up again after that. Would be willing to bet that Mike was like "You idiots, that's not how the math works" and that's why it never went anywhere after that.

Except it did go somewhere. They still split the votes. The majority alliance split 4-2 on Desi and Joe. The only reason Joe got 4 votes is that Cole and Mike flipped and voted for him.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #21
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Desi has to be one of the most beautiful contestants of all time.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #22
Autumn
Head Coach

Clearly being good looking is not good for your Survivor game.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Desi has to be one of the most beautiful contestants of all time.

Both her and Ali.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #24
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That got surprisingly good over the last two episodes.

I have to admit, I did not see Lauren emerging as the season's powerhouse player, both physically and strategically. And Devon's idea of deploying Ben as a secret agent is honestly one of the smarter plays I can remember seeing.

It sounds like the alliance of four might crack soon, but they played everything just about perfectly over the last three votes.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Sad to see Joe go really

Hoping Dr Mike can do something now

Really I wanted Ryan or Chrissy to go home instead of JP because they annoy me so much esp Chrissy
Old 12-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #26
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My favorite moment in that last episode what the moment when you could see Chrissy realize that Ben is not on her side. You can actually see the moment it hits her. She goes from smiling about the result to the sudden "why were there only 2 votes on our target" realization.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #27
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
That got surprisingly good over the last two episodes.

I have to admit, I did not see Lauren emerging as the season's powerhouse player, both physically and strategically. And Devon's idea of deploying Ben as a secret agent is honestly one of the smarter plays I can remember seeing.

It sounds like the alliance of four might crack soon, but they played everything just about perfectly over the last three votes.

Not surprised by Lauren, but definitely surprised by Devon and Ashley. That was a slick plan that they had.

Of course, it helps that most of the non-4 are pretty dense. Some likeable players but not very good Survivor players. I think Joe was more lucky then good to have lasted as far as he had. Pulling for Dr Mike, but he's pretty meh game wise. Ryan? Nice guy, but IMO he's one of the worst Survivor players of all time.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
My favorite moment in that last episode what the moment when you could see Chrissy realize that Ben is not on her side. You can actually see the moment it hits her. She goes from smiling about the result to the sudden "why were there only 2 votes on our target" realization.
Wait, didn't Ben vote along with her and Ryan? I thought she was still in the dark on him, and presumably would be until after the next vote when the big four can drop the act.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Wait, didn't Ben vote along with her and Ryan? I thought she was still in the dark on him, and presumably would be until after the next vote when the big four can drop the act.

Nope. Ben voted for Joe. They needed him this week so they could guarantee a split in case an idol was played. If Ben voted with Ryan/Chrissy, then there would be 3 votes for Ashley, 3 votes for Joe, and 2 votes for Ryan. If an idol got played for Joe, Ashley goes home. With Ben voting with the majority, they guaranteed only 2 votes for Ashley, so even if the 4 votes for Joe were canceled, then there's a 2-2 split and they vote out Ryan on the re-vote.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nope, he was needed for the Joe blindside.

At the end of tribal Chrissy has this smile on her face like "great result" but then you see her expression change to a "wait, how did that happen" expression. You can almost see the "why only two votes on our target" thought running through her head. Then the expression turns to a much more worried look and I think it was Ben she looked towards after that with an "I think I was played" look. I can't imagine she would think it was the puppet JP.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #31
Autumn
Head Coach

I am still shocked they chose to blindside JP instead of Ryan earlier. This is exactly why that was a bad choice, they're now still stuck with Ryan and Chrissy in the game instead of that blockhead. They're lucky they flushed Ryan's idol.

I was shocked that Devin actually had a smart idea. When he said in confession that he had a great idea I paused the TV and told my family, "This is going to be a terrible idea." But I had to take it back. He's a bit smarter than he seems.

I loved seeing Ryan and Chrissie scramble this week and get no love. I feel like most seasons, some dumb dumb listens at that point and gives them a foothold, but these guys stuck to the plan.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #32
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I am still shocked they chose to blindside JP instead of Ryan earlier. This is exactly why that was a bad choice, they're now still stuck with Ryan and Chrissy in the game instead of that blockhead. They're lucky they flushed Ryan's idol.

I was shocked that Devin actually had a smart idea. When he said in confession that he had a great idea I paused the TV and told my family, "This is going to be a terrible idea." But I had to take it back. He's a bit smarter than he seems.

I loved seeing Ryan and Chrissie scramble this week and get no love. I feel like most seasons, some dumb dumb listens at that point and gives them a foothold, but these guys stuck to the plan.

I agree it was a mistake not to get rid of Ryan. However, my guess is that Ben didn't really want to go after Chrissy first, Devin didn't want to go after Ryan first, and Ashley didn't care all that much about going after JP first.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #33
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The weird thing is, we're down to six players and I don't think there's anyone left that I'd be disappointed to see win. Usually at this time there's at least a few "Oh god please not them" contenders left.

Chrissy might come closest, but she's been fine and she won't make the final unless she can really pull something off. Ryan too. Ashley has played well. Dr. Mike would be a huge underdog story. Ben would be fine, even though it would make for an anti-climactic final since he'd probably win for sure. And Lauren and Devin are kicking ass.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #34
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The weird thing is, we're down to six players and I don't think there's anyone left that I'd be disappointed to see win. Usually at this time there's at least a few "Oh god please not them" contenders left.

Chrissy might come closest, but she's been fine and she won't make the final unless she can really pull something off. Ryan too. Ashley has played well. Dr. Mike would be a huge underdog story. Ben would be fine, even though it would make for an anti-climactic final since he'd probably win for sure. And Lauren and Devin are kicking ass.

I see it quite differently. There isn't a likeable player left.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #35
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Devon and Ashley have great games the way Vecepia played a great game.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #36
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwow
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #37
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwow
Yep.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #38
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just can't figure this group out. I think Mark B hit the motherlode. It's like his wet dream of people. He's always been trying to figure out how to break alliances. Somehow they do it on their own.

It's like the quickest way to be a target of someone is to be their strongest ally.

I'm REALLY liking Mike's equity at this point.

Ben HAS to be taken out before the end or he wins. Period. Although he won't get the butthurt vote.

Devon and Ashley do nothing

Ryan sulks and burnt every bridge he's ever had

Chrissy....also does nothing but talk about what a great game she has.

Mike is actually doing some REALLY interesting things.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #39
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm not a fan of any of these people, and I don't think any of them are really memorable, but this has been one of the best seasons of Survivor.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #40
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I wouldn't mind seeing any of them win. These last couple of episodes have been crazy. I truly have no idea how the rest will play out. Devon and Ashley are a strong pair, but everyone else is a complete wild card
Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #41
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

What is the explanation for Lauren giving half of her idol to Mike, and Mike then throwing it into the fire? Lauren was playing such a strong game up until that point.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #42
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Devon and Ashley do nothing
I don't get this take at all.

Devon came up with the idea for Ben to go undercover, which was not only the single most important strategic move of the entire game so far but also something that was fairly unique in the history of the game. "Let's blindside the best player" is a big move, but it happens multiple times every season. Devon actually came up with something that future players will be copying.

Ashley hasn't had quite as big a move, but she's already won a few key challenges and seems to have a good grip on the strategy side. And it may turn out that here push to go after Ben, which seemed kind of crazy at the time, would have been the right move.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #43
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Mike throwing the idol in the fire was a fun move, but it didn't make sense for him to do that and then try to vote out Ben. It leaves Lauren in the game who now has an axe to grind. He'd likely be the next boot target. So he was lucky that he was unsuccessful in getting Ben out, because that would've put him in a much worse position.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #44
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

PLEASE give the million to Ben. PLEASE!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #45
korme
Go Reds

Agree. He's the only clear cut winner right now, but everybody knows it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #46
dunkem
Mascot

The immunity idol is becoming too much of a factor and is almost becoming gimmicky.

They should call this immunity idol finder instead of survivor. What's worse is although I would say Ben is playing a great game, I feel like these idols are being conveniently planted for him to further his success. Really? I was just walking around and I saw this clue shortly before tribal after looking all day for it? If he won immunity, I'd bet that it wouldn't have been found so conveniently.

An immunity idol once in each tribe's camp, great. Then it's the "when" you play it that is the true strategy. Funky power idols and secret powers and replanted idols ... it's becoming less about your relationships and more about the powers.. Hell, burn the damn power, you can find another one.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #47
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Survivor conspiracy theories are as silly as the NBA draft ones. If they were trying to make sure Ben got an idol, why would they only plant the clue for him and then plant the idol in a very difficult location for him to grab it? It makes absolutely no sense. If they really were rigging it, they would've had him find an idol instead of just an idol clue.

The person who most needs an idol = the person most likely to look for it = the person most likely to find it. Pretty clear set of logical steps that explain why Ben found it instead of a conspiracy.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #49
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
They had one job. Keep him from finding the idol. Idiots.

but on the other hand, this water is nice. let's talk about whether he has an idol or not
Old 12-16-2017, 01:05 AM   #50
dunkem
Mascot

Hey, Ben may have found it legit and hell, yeah, he was the only one looking. I'm just saying that with so many idols in play all the time, it gets to be a idol power strategy vs. a "social game" when there are two idols out there, extra vote power, wonder twin put em together potential idol, etc. Imagine if all those idols were still in players' hands?

Yeah, it makes good tv for blindsides and vote funkiness, but I don't think Survivor made it this long by ramping up the super power frequency like they did this season.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote