Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Windows Question (icons...)

Using my flash drive, suddenly when I open the top directory all of my folders etc. are listed in the film-strip type setup. I can easily change this back to how I want it, list, but as soon as I close the window and reopen it, it happens all over again.

The help files were difficult because I wasn't even sure what I was looking for. Weird thing is, this just all of a sudden starting happening...

Thanks for the eventual insight!

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Which version of Windows are you using? I know in XP you can set Windows to default to a certain folder view (tile, thumbnail, icon, list, or detail). That setting can be changed in the Tools>Folder Options menu in any open window. It is under the View tab.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I think that the trick here is not to forget that once you make those changes under the View menu, click the Apply button and then click the button near the top that reads Apply to all Folders. If that doesn't fix the problem report back.

I am also assuming XP or earlier; I thankfully know nothing about Vista.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I think that the trick here is not to forget that once you make those changes under the View menu, click the Apply button and then click the button near the top that reads Apply to all Folders. If that doesn't fix the problem report back.

I am also assuming XP or earlier; I thankfully know nothing about Vista.

Apply buttons are useless. Hitting OK applies the settings and closes the window. Hitting apply applies settings and keeps the window open.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Apply buttons are useless. Hitting OK applies the settings and closes the window. Hitting apply applies settings and keeps the window open.
How are you going to click the Apply to All Folders button if the window is closed? And I know the difference between the Apply and Ok buttons. But did you know that Windows does not consistently change the settings to apply to all folders if you click OK? I thought not. So, just to make sure that Mike Lowe was getting the best advice I told him the most reliable steps.

And his problem might be something else altogether.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
How are you going to click the Apply to All Folders button if the window is closed? And I know the difference between the Apply and Ok buttons. But did you know that Windows does not consistently change the settings to apply to all folders if you click OK? I thought not. So, just to make sure that Mike Lowe was getting the best advice I told him the most reliable steps.

And his problem might be something else altogether.

Doh it helps to read the whole message. In that context of apply to folders you are right. But in context of just "apply" it's virtually useless. Sorry bout that.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
Celeval
Pro Starter

Generally, 'Apply' is useful when testing changes out (particularly visual) - apply them, see how they look, then revert if you like without having to reopen the dialog.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote