Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(soccer) Freddy Adu leaves DC United, joins Real..

Salt Lake??? BWUH???

(yes, he was traded, but I'm surprised his Nike backers etcetera didn't convince Freddy to veto the trade or whatever, considering it's most of next year before he can move to Europe)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Freddy Adu was traded Monday from D.C. United to Real Salt Lake, ending a sometimes tumultuous three-year run in Washington for the highly touted teenager who clashed with his coach and was often frustrated by his role.

The 17-year-old will move to a MLS city in need of a marketable star as it hopes to boost attendance and gain support for a new stadium. He will also get to be an attacking midfielder, a position he never played on a consistent basis with United

He is not eligible to transfer to a club outside the United States until he turns 18 next June 2.

"It is never easy to part with players, especially one like Freddy," United coach Peter Nowak said. "Freddy desired to play a different role than the one we offered here at D.C., so we hope this move can aid that wish."

United also sent goalkeeper Nick Rimando to Real Salt Lake. In return, United will receive a major player allocation, the rights to goalkeeper Jay Nolly and future considerations

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I haven't been following the Adu saga. Is he expected to go to Europe as soon as he can, or is he going to finish the MLS season?
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Unknown. he wants to go to Europe the second he can, but you really can't target his market too well. He had a recent two week trial with Man Yoo, but they couldn't sign him if they wanted (has to be 18). MLS has the heavy end of the hammer (as they have options next two years), I would think he has to at least finish out the season
Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I would have to imagine that whatever Freddie wants, Freddie gets. The MLS can try to play hardball over his contract rights, but if Freddie wants to play soccer in Europe next summer, I believe he will.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Freddy's gone as soon as he turns 18. MLS is hoping for a bidding war for his rights, but honestly I can't see many big teams all that interested .... unless they're hoping to sell more shirts/increase their fan base in the US. Even so, I can't see freddy playing much beyond their reserve team for the forseeable future.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
KevinNU7
College Starter

IMO this trade is great for the MLS, get him on a team that will actually play him so he is more marketable. What European team is going to want a player who doesn't even play every game in the MLS?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7 View Post
What European team is going to want a player who doesn't even play every game in the MLS?

Newcastle? (Sorry, I can't help but take digs at them)
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7 View Post
IMO this trade is great for the MLS, get him on a team that will actually play him so he is more marketable.

Yep.. and play him at the position he is most comfortable with, Attacking MF. DC has Christian Gomez there, and Adu ain't knocking him off at the present moment... so good deal for everyone really. I'm sure RSL knows this is just a rental.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

this trade is basically the players DC received for the transfer fee RSL will receive.

I think Adu finishes the season, then is gone. I dont think he'll jump mid-year.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Weird they sent him to RSL though. When he transfers, do they get some of the cash from that like in Europe or will MLS take all of it and they'll basically out their best player?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Freddy's gone as soon as he turns 18. MLS is hoping for a bidding war for his rights, but honestly I can't see many big teams all that interested .... unless they're hoping to sell more shirts/increase their fan base in the US. Even so, I can't see freddy playing much beyond their reserve team for the forseeable future.

He wouldn't leave the US to go play on a reserve squad in Europe.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Weird they sent him to RSL though. When he transfers, do they get some of the cash from that like in Europe or will MLS take all of it and they'll basically out their best player?

There's now a rule that teams get like half of the money from player sales (MLS gets the other half) In this case, DC and RSL agreed to share the Team side of any possible Freddy transfer money
Old 12-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #13
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The league is the majority owner of each of the teams.

AFAIK, the transfer money will go into the league pot, and RSL will get an allocation for it (which carries with it a commitment from the league to spend up to a certain amount in transfer fee for a player).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, Foz is obviously paying more attention to evolution in the MLS rules than I am.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote