Esquared1
High School JV

Steelers

It pains me to write this: "The Steelers stink."

Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yep. If they could hold off turning the ball over and taking stupid penalties they would be a good team (still not a top team), but when you throw in those mistakes it just kills them game after game. However, turnovers and penalties are important and the better teams avoid them at all costs.

And Rothlisberger. What is up there? Do they have to think hard about sitting him for 3-4 games. Not as punishment, but to get his head right. He just looks lost out there. Maybe that motorcycle accident and appendectomy were a little worse than we were led to believe.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 11-05-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If the Bengals are going to fall apart I wish the Steelers were good. I can't take the Ravens winning.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
PghSteelerFan
n00b

It's not hard to write: Steelers suck.

There are so many problems with this team. Mostly in the turnover department. Santonio Holmes is a bust. I'm convinced. This team does not do well with first round WR picks.

Cowher will be gone at the end of the season and I think this is playing a part in team performance.
PghSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSteelerFan View Post
It's not hard to write: Steelers suck.

There are so many problems with this team. Mostly in the turnover department. Santonio Holmes is a bust. I'm convinced. This team does not do well with first round WR picks.

Cowher will be gone at the end of the season and I think this is playing a part in team performance.

I don't know, Plaxico turned out to be good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Ditto.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If the Bengals are going to fall apart I wish the Steelers were good. I can't take the Ravens winning.

Yeah, it pains me as well. This season is cementing at least another 3-5 years of seeing Brian Billick's bloated ego patrolling the Ravens' sideline.

But if you're a Steeler fan, at least you had last season. That should hold you for a few years anyway.

But Roethlisberger is finally being exposed as mediocre with the team HAVING to pass to come back in every game. Maybe it's the accident, maybe not, but he didn't even have a good playoff performance last year and they won the SB despite him.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
But if you're a Steeler fan, at least you had last season. That should hold you for a few years anyway.

But Roethlisberger is finally being exposed as mediocre with the team HAVING to pass to come back in every game. Maybe it's the accident, maybe not, but he didn't even have a good playoff performance last year and they won the SB despite him.

Sadly, that is almost how I feel...I don't feel quite as much rage as I think I normally would, because of last season.

He had a very good playoff performance, other than the Super Bowl. The Steelers passed early and scored early in all 3 AFC games.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
jonesz
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Sadly, that is almost how I feel...I don't feel quite as much rage as I think I normally would, because of last season.

He had a very good playoff performance, other than the Super Bowl. The Steelers passed early and scored early in all 3 AFC games.

Ben will be fine. He has a magical first two years and now everything is just evening out. It's the "sophomore slump" everybody was predicting last year. Every good QB seems to go through it and Ben is showing no different. Now, the great QB's play through it and come out the other side, the average and forgotten ones do not. Which is Ben? Only time will tell. Now, why he wasn't the 2nd coming of Marino, Montana, and Elway rolled into one everyone was making him out to be last year, he's also not the mediocre QB with no talent that a lot of people are making him out to be this year.

I have to be honest, I don't understand those that are calling for him to sit for some games. He looked brilliant vs. Kansas City and Atlanta before he got knocked silly. A lot of people don't seem to recognize that. He had a pretty good game yesterday as well if you consider 2 of his INT's were basically jump balls adn one was actually better than a punt. He was not the reason they lost that game. His problem is that he hasn't been able to get into a rythym this year, starting with missing training camp. To me the offensive line play this year has been a very significant problem as well.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I always thought Ben played along the razors edge, where his passes were so close to being picked off, but he got them through somehow. Now his timing just isnt there. And I think Holmes is going to be a pretty good WR once he gets his head on right.

Suddenly the whole team looks old and undisciplined.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And I think Holmes is going to be a pretty good WR once he gets his hands on right.
Fixed.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And I think Ben will be fine at some point, he had 2 straight amazing games, but that concussion may have hindered him.

Now the problem I see is that this team won't make the playoffs, but still may win 6ish games and won't get a top pick.

Transition to a new coach will be tough, with only 2 coaches in my lifetime I'm not used to change. As one of the "premeire" jobs in professional sports, the list of canidates for the job should be absolutely amazing. Although they may just give it to Whisenut.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
PghSteelerFan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Oh, I agree completely. I mean when he was here he was just so-so. He goes to the Giants and bingo.

I can remember his first catch against Jacksonville. He caught something like a 50 yarder, fell down, thought he was down (college rules) and got up and spiked the ball for a fumble. Jacksonville recovered of course. Brilliant.

With the Steelers and the run first, pass second mentality, I'm not sure that WR should be the priority in any draft, specifically first round.
PghSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSteelerFan View Post
I can remember his first catch against Jacksonville. He caught something like a 50 yarder, fell down, thought he was down (college rules) and got up and spiked the ball for a fumble. Jacksonville recovered of course. Brilliant.
Andre Hastings had this same problem. Silly Steelers receivers.