Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
Groundhog
Coordinator

iPod as a storage device?

A dumb question I'm sure - particularily as I know that you can access the iPod via windows explorer - but can you drop and drag files on to an iPod and use it as a storage device?

I told a senior manager here yesterday that you could, and he just came to me today and told me he just bought one for that purpose and that he "hopes it works like I told him". That got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't comment on things I don't know about before hand...

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #2
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

You should be able to. If you've updated to Itunes 7.0, this is from the help file:

"To store or view files:
Connect your iPod or mobile phone to your computer.
When the iPod icon appears in the iTunes window, select it, click Summary, and then select "Enable disk use."
An iPod icon or a disk icon or removable disk icon (if you're working with a mobile phone) appears as the next available drive letter in Windows Explorer, in the My Computer window.

To copy files to your iPod or mobile phone, drag files to the icon.
To view files stored on the device, double-click its icon on the desktop.
You can't see music, video, or games copied to your device using iTunes.

To copy files from your iPod or mobile phone to your computer, double-click the icon and drag files from the window that appears."

I've used it to store simple text files.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

Absolutely you can. I do it all the time.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
saldana
Pro Starter

my Zen from creative labs actually has a partitioning option in the docking software.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
SnDvls
Pro Starter

yes you can and most all IPod books tell you how too.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
saldana
Pro Starter

groundhog, if all he wanted it for was a portable storage device, why didnt he just buy a USB flash drive? they are even easier to use than an Ipod.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
groundhog, if all he wanted it for was a portable storage device, why didnt he just buy a USB flash drive? they are even easier to use than an Ipod.

My thought, too. It's like buying a car because someone tells you that they are a good place in which to sit and listen to music.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If he can't figure out how to get it to work, tell him he must have bought a North American version of the iPod, and the rotation of the drive is opposite that of Aussie hard drives, causing an incompatibility...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My thought, too. It's like buying a car because someone tells you that they are a good place in which to sit and listen to music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, he wants to use it as an mp3/video player as well, but he was trying to rationalise it with his wife, and that's a feature his wife was interested in.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:35 AM   #11
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Also, a 60 or 80 GB ipod holds a lot more than a USB flash drive. Aren't they 2 GB max and running at about $75+?

Of course, you could always buy a pretty small portable hard drive with the same amount of storage of the ipod or more for a lot cheaper. That's probably where he should go if that is all he wants.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

I was thinking of getting an Ipod (or similar device) for temporary file storage and for holding pictures from my D70 camera. I've got a 512MB card and 1GB card, so I can take tons of pictures before I run out of space. I'd probably use it more as a backup, so I don't fear losing all of my pictures from a trip if something happens to the card. The music / video capability would almost be secondary. Has anyone here used the camera connector? Does it drain the batteries quickly?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Thanks guys. Until I read this thread I'd never been able to figure out how to get MP3's off of my iPod and onto another computer. I'd been trying to do it via iTunes. Didn't realize is was that easy. Cool.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 09-30-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular View Post
I was thinking of getting an Ipod (or similar device) for temporary file storage and for holding pictures from my D70 camera. I've got a 512MB card and 1GB card, so I can take tons of pictures before I run out of space. I'd probably use it more as a backup, so I don't fear losing all of my pictures from a trip if something happens to the card. The music / video capability would almost be secondary. Has anyone here used the camera connector? Does it drain the batteries quickly?
No, but you can always get a portable battery backup that gives the ipod another 8 hours of battery life or so.