Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

The bad clock management thread

I didn't have time to post this yesterday but this a topic that really gets me worked up. When a head coach, any coach, makes a stupid clock management mistake I am left just shaking my head. Some of these mistakes are a bit complicated and I can cut them some slack but, on the other hand, it isn't like these guys haven't spent enough time around the game to know better. Actually, another thing that really bothers me is that the announcers never seem to second guess the coach even when it is clear he made a mistake. I'm going to try to keep this thread running through the year when I see blantant mistakes and if you see any, college or pro, feel free to add.

This week's entry goes to Joe Gibbs. Joe is a coach I respect a great deal. He seems to scheme pretty well and get the most from his players. Then he made this bone head call. I'm going to copy ESPN's PBP to make sure everything is listed. Here is the situation. The skins and vikes are tied with just over two minutes left and the vikes are driving. I did a quick search on the internet and didn't find anything about this but if this was discussed somewhere else I apologize.

Quote:
1st and 10 at WAS 24 (2:37) C.Taylor left tackle to WAS 15 for 9 yards (C.Rogers, L.Marshall).
Timeout #1 by WAS at 02:26.
2nd and 1 at WAS 15 (2:26) C.Taylor up the middle to WAS 11 for 4 yards (W.Holdman, A.Archuleta).
Two-Minute Warning
1st and 10 at WAS 11 (2:00) C.Taylor left end to WAS 11 for no gain (A.Archuleta, W.Holdman).
Timeout #2 by WAS at 01:54.
2nd and 10 at WAS 11 (1:54) C.Taylor left end to WAS 13 for -2 yards (A.Archuleta).
Timeout #3 by WAS at 01:49.
3rd and 12 at WAS 13 (1:49) C.Taylor left end to WAS 13 for no gain (L.Marshall).
Timeout #1 by MIN at 01:04.
4th and 12 at WAS 13 (1:04) R.Longwell 31 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Loeffler, Holder-C.Kluwe.

So after the first run by Taylor, Gibbs correctly starts using him time outs. This is clearly a good decision as he needs to leave some time on the clock for his offense to drive after this drive ends by the vikings. Calling a TO here is absolutely the right call.

Then things get complicated. Taylor gets the ball again and gets a first down. Now this isn't listed by the PBP but from memory I believe there was 2:18 left on the clock. Now Gibbs decides to let the clock run to the 2 mintue warning? Why? This makes no sense to me. Clearly the right call is to keep using your timeouts. If they had, it would have been 1st and 10 with 2:18 left. Then six seconds run for the next play. Then your last timeout (2:12). The next play brings you to the two minute warning. 3rd down gets run and the skins won't be able to stop the clock but now the clock will read around 1:14 not 1:04.

Now you may be saying to yourself why is he getting worked up about 10 seconds? Well those 10 seconds could have been very important to the skins on their next possession. Sure it ended in a 4th down missed FG but if randle el gets that first down then 27 seconds with the ball on the viking 29 looks a lot better than 17 seconds with the ball in the same spot. Whew. Sorry for the length of this post.

dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I think some head coaches are brilliant at evaluating talent, drawing up plays, creating gameplans, and motivating players, but they just don't think well on their feet under pressure in a game situation. Poor clock management is an example of this. I think every head coach should appoint one of his assistants as a clock manager to make suggestions as to when to use timeouts, spike the ball, etc. in the last two minutes of the half.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Should get this right out of the way, since no thread on this topic could be complete without

and his predecessor

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Should get this right out of the way, since no thread on this topic could be complete without

LOL.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Unlike every thing else, it isn't practiced. Coaches really just can't handle it on top of the 8 million other things. There needs to be an assitant absolutely in charge of two things

1. Clock management (when to use timeouts, etc)
2. Thinking ahead. For example, the other night the Giants opted to go for it on 4th and 5 from the Colts 35 or so. That's an absolutely fine decision and I stand behind it. BUT if they had realized they were willing to go for it on 4th and 5 before calling the 3rd down play, i can damn-near guarantee you it would have altered their 3rd down play call. This happens very often in the NFL, where a team clearly doesn't realize they will go for it on 4th if they throw an incomplete pass on 3rd. I say this specifically because the Giants should have strongly considered running on 3rd and 5 if they knew they'd go for it on 4th and 5 anyway.

So I guess perhaps I'd want a "clock management and field position" assitant. He'd be advising the coaches "it would make sense to go for it on 4th and X here, so think about that when calling 3rd down." or "A sack here would definitely take us out of field goal range. Something to consider"

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-13-2006 at 10:26 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Unlike every thing else, it isn't practiced. Coaches really just can't handle it on top of the 8 million other things. There needs to be an assitant absolutely in charge of two things

Didn't the Jets hire a coach specifically to manage the clock and timeouts, and they still sucked at it?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Didn't the Jets hire a coach specifically to manage the clock and timeouts, and they still sucked at it?

Yes, remember that this was the Jets. They probably hired some old boy or just made the guy another voice in Herms ear rather than giving him any actual sort of decision making power.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yes, remember that this was the Jets. They probably hired some old boy or just made the guy another voice in Herms ear rather than giving him any actual sort of decision making power.

Okay, point taken, but, BUT, this person should only be a voice in Herm's ear. As head coach, I'm not ceding control of such game-tipping decisions to an assistant, but i DO want prompt advice from someone whose job it is to study these situations in advance for my team.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
AgustusM
College Prospect

So on the high school team I coach, I am the assistant Head Coach and the co-offensive coordinator. I also coach WR (but I have a backup WR coach who does most of the day to day stuff.

During the game my prime responsibility is to read the defense and recommend plays to the head coach who will then call them. It also my responsibility to keep an eye on EVERYTHING related to the clock, thinking ahead and personnel.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
AgustusM
College Prospect

AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #11
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
So on the high school team I coach, I am the assistant Head Coach and the co-offensive coordinator.

During the game my prime responsibility is to read the defense and recommend plays to the head coach who will then call them. It also my responsibility to keep an eye on EVERYTHING related to the clock, thinking ahead and personnel.

I coach Junior High football and have the same basic duties.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 09-14-2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
So on the high school team I coach, I am the assistant Head Coach and the co-offensive coordinator. I also coach WR (but I have a backup WR coach who does most of the day to day stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409
I coach Junior High football and have the same basic duties.

So if this is prevelent in high school/junior high why haven't the pros picked up on it? Why hasn't anyone nailed these coaches to the wall (exception Herm) when they make a bone headed clock management mistake? The stakes are so high in the NFL every game is inportant. Dan Synder is paying his offensive coordinator $2 mil why can he pay me $50 K to watch the clock for him?
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline View Post
So if this is prevelent in high school/junior high why haven't the pros picked up on it? Why hasn't anyone nailed these coaches to the wall (exception Herm) when they make a bone headed clock management mistake? The stakes are so high in the NFL every game is inportant. Dan Synder is paying his offensive coordinator $2 mil why can he pay me $50 K to watch the clock for him?

That's really how i see it. Shit, pay some ex head coach who only has to show up on gamedays, but whose opinion you really, really trust. And give him the power over timeouts, not just input.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #14
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
That's really how i see it. Shit, pay some ex head coach who only has to show up on gamedays, but whose opinion you really, really trust. And give him the power over timeouts, not just input.

I can think of a couple of ex head coaches that I would not want anywhere near the head coach of my team during crucial situations...
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote