Martin Brodeur 11 22.45%
Roberto Luongo 24 48.98%
Marc-Andre Fleury 4 8.16%
A big stinky trout 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Who should Canada start in net next game?

After Brodeur looked shaky last night against the US, who should the Team Canada Men's Olympic Hockey team start in goal?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 02-22-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: removed text about the poll to come which then came.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Tretiak
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought Luongo should've started from the beginning. I love Brodeur, but we have to move on at some point and you have the whole home-ice factor here, I mean come on!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't get the "move on" argument. Brodeur is playing at a very high level still in the NHL.

Now Luongo is also having a great year, so if you wanna go with him then fine, but don't make it sound like Brodeur is washed up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I thought Luongo should've started from the beginning. I love Brodeur, but we have to move on at some point and you have the whole home-ice factor here, I mean come on!

Given the locale, I thought the trout would have the home ice advantage.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I would go with Luongo, but the problem with Luongo is... What exactly has he won again?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

HB, isn't that a chicken-and-egg, Dusty Baker esque philosophy? I'll play the old guys cuz they're veterans, and the young guys can't play because they haven't played....etc etc? It seems to me you go with your best and even a hockey neophyte like me thought Brodeur was awful yesterday; just slow reflexes.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hasn't he won a couple of World Championships?

I don't think Brodeur is washed up, but he's older now and with them beign equal or really close to equal, I thought Luongo playing on the ice for a few years would push them to use him.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Bob McKenzie said he would be surprised if Martin Brodeur started another game this tourney.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hasn't he won a couple of World Championships?

Then start him!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

Brodeur did just fine last night.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Then start him!

I know, I will!!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Brodeur did just fine last night.

I thought batting that puck out of midair was just ridiculous.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Pumpy
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Pumpy

BundleDick
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
bronconick
College Starter

That bat down/clear down the center of the ice that turned into Rafalski's 2nd goal was one of the dumbest things I've seen a goalie do in a while.

1. You're not a baseball player

2. Clearing down the center is one of those no-nos they teach you at age 12.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
boberot
High School Varsity

As a proud American hockey fan, I also thought Brodeur did just fine last night.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Big T
H.S. Freshman Team

I am a Luongo fan, but Lou has yet to prove he can win the big game. His last two playoff years ended with an embarassing goal from the blue line and giving up 7 goals in the deciding game 6 against Chicago.

Brodeur is he must win guy, he has done it all his career and starting tommorrow, the games begin to be "must win".
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

If you want a chance to win gold you start Marty. If winning a medal is good enough for you play one of the other two.

Marty is the guy that will carry a team when he is on.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Report: Luongo to start versus Germany

Quote:
Roberto Luongo will start in goal for Canada when it faces Germany in the Olympic hockey qualification round on Tuesday, according to a report by Yahoo!Sports.

"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
Johnny93g
College Starter

Babcock won't confirm that report, so while I think it will be Luongo, we still don't know.

I am in the start Luongo camp. Brodeur is a great goalie, but so is Luongo. Brodeur had a very bad game, give your other great goalie a chance.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Babcock won't confirm that report, so while I think it will be Luongo, we still don't know.

I am in the start Luongo camp. Brodeur is a great goalie, but so is Luongo. Brodeur had a very bad game, give your other great goalie a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock made the change. He's done it before. In 2008, Hasek was struggling in the first round against Nashville, Babcock started Osgood in Game 5 and Hasek never saw the ice again.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #23
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
If you want a chance to win gold you start Marty. If winning a medal is good enough for you play one of the other two.

Marty is the guy that will carry a team when he is on.

That's great...if he was on, this thread wouldn't exist.

As a hockey fan, I think they have to make the switch.

As a Pens fan, torn between wanting MAF to play and riding Brodeur to wear him out for the NHL stretch run.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
That's great...if he was on, this thread wouldn't exist.

As a hockey fan, I think they have to make the switch.

As a Pens fan, torn between wanting MAF to play and riding Brodeur to wear him out for the NHL stretch run.

As a hockey fan you should know that great goalies can turn it on and get hot at any time.

Miller was flat awful prior to the Olympics.

In any case with the offensive talent Canada has they should be scoring 5-6 goals a game and it wouldnt matter who their goalie is. As it is if they are going to score 3 or less a game Id lean on Marty to be the one to shut teams down.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #25
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Bob McKenzie said he would be surprised if Martin Brodeur started another game this tourney.

Yeah, but Doug then called him a hoser.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
As a hockey fan you should know that great goalies can turn it on and get hot at any time.

In any case with the offensive talent Canada has they should be scoring 5-6 goals a game and it wouldnt matter who their goalie is. As it is if they are going to score 3 or less a game Id lean on Marty to be the one to shut teams down.
This is down to a single-elimination tournament. You don't have time to wait for a goalie to get hot. In the NHL playoffs, you ride the guy who got you to the playoffs, but that's because you probably don't have a backup who can get you to the Cup, and you can lose 3 games in a series and still advance. Canada has two other world-class goalies. If Brodeur is off, they have other options, and it's kinda silly not to at least consider them.

Of course, maybe I'm just being a selfish Devils fan who would like to see Brodeur get a little rest before the NHL season resumes. I'm not really amped about getting a heaping helping of Yann Danis over the next couple of weeks.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

What has he done in the first 3 games though to make you believe he's turning it around? He was as bad as Miller coming into the Olympics, both Buffalo and NJ on pretty bad streaks heading into the break. Miller has been very good for the US. Brodeur has been, at best, very average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
This is down to a single-elimination tournament. You don't have time to wait for a goalie to get hot. In the NHL playoffs, you ride the guy who got you to the playoffs, but that's because you probably don't have a backup who can get you to the Cup, and you can lose 3 games in a series and still advance. Canada has two other world-class goalies. If Brodeur is off, they have other options, and it's kinda silly not to at least consider them.

Of course, maybe I'm just being a selfish Devils fan who would like to see Brodeur get a little rest before the NHL season resumes. I'm not really amped about getting a heaping helping of Yann Danis over the next couple of weeks.

+1

You think if Miller was 1-1-1, the US wouldn't at least be considering a switch too? Just because the guy's name is Brodeur doesn't mean he can't get benched. This isn't a lifetime achievement award.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote