Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Directx 11?

Howdy Ya'll

Without attempting to threadjack the other PC building thread away from Edward64, I have a question regarding Windows 7, GPU's, and DX 11. So I'm in the final stages of choosing the components for my new rig. It's not an upgrade, so everything (including the Win7 software) I will have to buy new. We gave the old Core 2 Duo rig we had in California to my Mother-In-Law (who was running an 8 year old P4 with RDRAM from Dell) when we moved. I don't get heavy into gaming, but I want a decent GPU that can handle moderate gaming. I've read a little into Win7, and I can't tell if it's required that you have a DX11 card, or just recommended. The DX11 cards I see on newegg start around $90 (5670 series) and go up from there. I can get a 5770 for $160, or I can get a 5670 for damn near half the price. I can also get a 4850 for $100 which will blow the 5670 out of the water but doesn't support DX11...

help!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-22-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

DX11 cards are quite unnecessary. I've got an Nvidia GTX 285 that runs screaming on Win7. I suspect you'll see more games supporting DX11, and there may well be a migration from DX9 in a while, but given the PS3 and 360 DX9 cards will be supported for quite some time.

I am also mildly biased here as I've had too many bad experiences with ATI drivers to put an ATI card in one of my boxes, others have the reverse experience so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm waiting for any Nvidia DX11 cards before putting one in my box, and even then won't really until I want to mess around with DX11 at home or find a game that really wants it / takes advantage of it.