Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Arrow The Cranstonian Expedition (RPG)

This is one of two threads devoted to a narrative role-playing adventure. The character framework utilizes AD&D 3.0 but the “system” is free form. It is set in a fantasy world of my own creation, called Crella. This thread tracks an adventuring party from the realm of Cranstone. The other thread, which is entitled The Prytian Quest, deals with a group from neighboring Prytia.

Feel free to comment throughout the thread, but please do not threadjack. The idea is to continue the thread as a narrative role-playing adventure. Also, if you wish to participate as a secondary character, there is a waiting list so just drop me a PM.

All out-of-character (OC) posts should be made in the regular font and color. Questions, comment, etc. All in-character posts (IC) should be made blue, the color which I will initiate below.

Posting in character should be done in third person past tense, using the name of your character or appropriate personal pronouns. A very simple example: “Sol moved into the cavern” should be used instead of “I move into the cavern.” When your character speaks, set it apart with quote marks. Try to be tidy with grammar and spelling so things are clear to the other players. You can assume and therefore interact with typical surroundings (i.e., if you’re in a tavern, you can order an ale without prompting), but do not “power game” events or surroundings that have substantial impact on the characters and plot. That’s my role. It may take awhile to get the hang of this narrative style of RPG, and I may step in to correct you or ask you to edit portions of your post, but it’ll flow well soon enough.

Primary players, as we begin take the opportunity to describe your character and his thoughts going in. Be descriptive, and interact with one another.

The primary characters in this thread include:
A Cranstonian wizard, Kit'an'il (Blade)
Two Rhyllan fighters, Reod Dai (Ardent Enthusiast) and Colton Mayes (blade6119).
A Rhyllan ranger, Nightion (JeffNights)
An Azaran rogue, Brayden de Brach (indoorsoccersim)
A Scallite bard, Jadrich the Barkeep (Raven Hawk)

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-20-2004 at 08:13 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Tucked away in the southwestern corner of Cranstone, the keep of Lady Del Var was not much to look at, its low stone walls rising up upon a bleak and bare ridgeline that only broken up with a ragged assortment of solitary trees. An insignificant village, just another grubby gathering of farmers and craftsmen, lay at the base of the ridge. There was little to suggest that this setting was any different than that of any other Crellan land.

Yet something was afoot, it seemed. The motley gathering of men within the walls of the keep were united in some manner of special cause, having answered the call put forth by Lady Del Var for adventurers. They had waited, patiently at first, while the Lady and her minions had interviewed each of them, apparently screening out those unworthy of the task. Now six of those men had been led to a large meeting hall, where resided an unlikely mixture of Cranstonian, Scallite, Rhyllan, and Azaran blood. The latter individual, a pirate rogue, seemed particularly out of place, and the three Rhyllans present made no attempt to hide their disdain.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-20-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"We don't need a blasted Azaran with us", muttered Reod Dai just out of earshot of Brayden de Brach, "he'll certainly compromise what we've came to do."

Reod glared at Brayden and spun around to look at the rest of group and was comforted by what he saw. At least he had Rhyllan brothers with him. He gestured for Colton Mayes and Nightion to come closer.

"Be weary of the Azaran", Reod whispered to the other Rhyllans, "I don't know why he's here or what he can do for us, but he's certainly up to no good."
Old 06-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Leaning against the wall, the one man, that others seem to notice, and appear to have disdain for smiles a broadening friendly smile.

His mustache and beard forming points in three corners, a slight twinkle in his eye shows that life and fun is what he is all about.

He leans back against the wall, throwing his cloak back, away from the hilt of his rapier, tucking his thumbs behind his belt, he laughs loudly, so all can hear.

"Obviously, Lady Del Var figured the Rhyllans couldn't get it done, and called in the one who could." nodding towards the Cranstonian, he moves forward extending his hand in a gesture of friendship.

"Brayden De Brach, adventurer of the high seas, and general friend to all." The last of his sentence was stated a little loud, so it echoed throughout the room, so all could hear.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Brayden, isnt that a bloody girls name?" Colton stated after being personally insulted from the comment about Rhyllans. In an attempt to gain support of the other Rhyllans who hold a bond due to their orgin, he stated that "He will have to prove himself to me before i go trusting a pirate. Next thing i know he will be plundering my items while i be asleep."

Colton almost felt a little worried that this one Azaran character might actually become the friend he said he was. Colton was worried that all of these men might become his friend. His troubled past had led him to reclusiveness, and now he was being forced to trust men he had never met. "Ill just be keeping an eye on him them, as well as you others" Colton stated in an attempt to hide what he was really thinking, which was that he was afraid he would actually like the men, and they would actually do something great....together.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Raven Hawk
College Starter

“Gentlemen! Gentlemen!” inserted a songly tenor voice, “and I do use that term loosely. Not so much because I question anybodies breeding, yet moreso because I question that many of you to be truly gentle.”

A wirey man of about 12 stones weight and just shy of the second yard tall, had hopped upon a small bench in the clear sight of the remaining five. His chestnut brown mop of hair was straight, yet flimsy and cut just above the ear.

“Quarrel not good neighbors. Or, if you do, at least give me a chance to make a good enough wager where it would be worth my while.”

The man stepped down from the bench with grace and elegance rare to men. His foot made no detectable sound as it hit the stone paving next to the bench. The man reached into his cloak as if to produce a sword, yet none came when his hand returned to the light of the sun. Instead, a pewter wine goblet came forth from his hand and quicker than one might have thought possible a wine skin was soon filling it with a red liquid.

“My name is Jadrich the Barkeep. Please, Gentlemen,” a wry wink given to all, “ We can’t let this Fillian wine go to waste.”
Old 06-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Turning towards the person insulting him, Brayden smiles that warm smile. "No my friend, but you are close, it's a name that women say a lot though." he manages a wink towards Colton, and moves towards a chair.

"Honestly gentlemen, I look at it this way, you may hate me for what I am, or where I am from, good. But think about this. We are going to be companions, we have to live with that. I myself look at it this way, when I travel on the sea, I am with others of my kind, all whom I could hate, or not. But on that ship, we are civil to one another. But the minute we hit shore, it's fair game." He looks to the men, reaching up, he pulls his shoulder length hair back revealing a terrible scar running the length of his neck.

He reaches across the table grabbing 5 cups and the flask of wine from Jadrich. "Thank you kind sir!"

He carefully pours the equal amount across all 5 cups. When finished, he takes a long swig off the skin, finishing it all, setting it down on the table..

Grabbing a glass, he stands, and raises it to the other six. "To our health, and a proper journey, may our luck and skill carry us on."

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-18-2004 at 04:55 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Heh. The game's afoot.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:58 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod looked into the cup, in hopes of perhaps finding something in it that could upset him. Finding nothing, he drank from the cup. Reod couldn't quite figure out what was going on, or who he was with.

He wondered if anyone here recognized him. Certainly, they heard of his name and the battles he fought in the past. Surely they knew of his catastrophic mistake. No doubt Colton knew he was. That made sense to Reod, since Colton didn't seem overly impressed with him.

If he only knew the many battles Reod had won, if Colton only knew why Reod made that mistake...

Last edited by Poli : 06-18-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Raising his cup with all as Brayden makes a toast, Jadrich then tips it back and takes a sip.

"Or as we say in Scalla, 'Rach tha da, sen arvanalc!' which means 'Chew often, swallow once!'" Jadrich introspects for a moment noticing the confused looks. "You know what? It never made much sense to me either. . . "

Jadrich pauses to consider something for a moment.

"Reod . . . Reod . . . Where have I heard that name before? Have you ever been to Fillia, neighbor?"
Old 06-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"You have likely heard my name before," responded Reod hesitantly, "but it's not from my travels in Fillia. It's likely you remember my name from the stories of my battles. I am Reod Dai."

That would do it, Reod was sure. The mockery, the laughter would all soon start. Reod downed what was left in his cup and went to stare at something on the wall across the room. Hopefully, he wouldn't hear the others talking or laughing about him.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
Raven Hawk
College Starter

The moment that Reod mentioned that he was Reod Dai, Jadrich knew exactly who it was. In fact the verses of the story started playing through his head as they sat. He knew this story well from his days as an innkeeper and entertainer. Jadrich looked into Reod's eyes and knew what he must do.

"Yes, good Reod. I believe that the story goes something like this?"

Jadrich hummed a note with his tenor voice.

"Reod Dai, Reod Dai
Inc vun nach shan havolai
Est du shas, le mar ot nas
Inc vun nach shan marolai

Reod Dai, Reod Dai
Inc vun nach shan havolai
Est van caal van baranaal
Du shas bar gedulai . . ."

Jadrich held the last note for a moment.

"Have you ever heard it in Scallan before, Reod? I think that is much more beautiful that way. For those of you that do not know Scallan, let me sum it up in common. Reod Dai here is a war hero!"

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-19-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #13
JeffNights
College Prospect

Raising the cup offered generously by the pirate rouge, Nightion sipped the rather harsh liquid down. He did not immeadiately share the intense hate that his fellow Rhyllan brothers did of Brayden. Hailing from the far Northern Woods of Rhyllan, he has learned temperance and patience, as was needed to survive. He'd wait before making a harsh judgement, but he'd be catious, nonetheless.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #14
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Upon further inspection of Jadrich, one would find that his clothes seem to be loose fitting, almost in a deliberate manner to hide his slim physique. The dark blue jerkin and dyed black pants cinch together tightly around the waist at a black leather belt with an ornate silver buckle. The belt has a scabbard fit for a long oddly shaped dagger positioned directly beneath the buckle. This appears to be the only weapon that he carries. One would assume that it is being held by the Lady's guards to be recovered when they leave the keep. The only visible armor that Jadrich sports is some thick leather bracers that cover his wrists down to his elbow. Draped about his shoulders is a black dyed woolen cape which has seen better days. Though it looks as if it is beginning to fray, it also looks both comfortable and warm. Upon his head, a small leather cap adorned with a blue feather to match his jerkin. This garment as well looks to be quite weathered and in need of a new feather.

Jadrich often fiddles about and has a hard time standing still. His motions are smooth, yet they do not flow. It can only be described that he has a 'hard' grace, the type that you would find in a tiger rather than a dancer. His piercing gaze is hard to keep. His brown-eyes, though hard, have a feeling of warmth and understanding. His face is oval with high cheekbones, clean shaven, with fair skin. Small pockets under his eyes make one think that he does not get much sleep. His smile, though impish, houses two dimples and a straight white set of teeth.

When he is not engaged in conversation, he always seems to be humming some popular tune . . .

Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmm hmmm, hmmmm, hmmm, hmmm . . .

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-19-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod Dai looked every bit the part of a seasoned warrior. He stood a few inches taller than the rest of his companions in the room, and it was quite obvious to all that he was a well conditioned fighter.

Today, he wore nothing spectacular. He wore black boots, brown pants, and a matching tunic that did little to hide his muscular size. His hood was down, revealing shoulder length brown hair. Attached to his left side was a longsword. Jadrich would be the first to tell you that Reod had deep blue eyes. Reod typically tried to keep the attention away from himself.

Reod remembered the days of yesteryear, when he was proud to wear glistening armor each day. Back then, he wanted the attention, he craved it. Very little was beyond Reod's grasp. All Reod knew now was he wanted to avoid contact with most everyone. It was impossible, he knew, but he had to try.

Lady Del Var remembered the Reod Dai of old, and chose to forgive him of his horrible blunder. For that, Reod pledged loyalty to her. In turn, that's why he was in this room with this group of adventurers.

Reod was determined to regain his honor and he knew that would have to be through battles. He knew nothing of what the future held, but knew it was better than what the present had for him.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #16
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Excellent descriptive posts. You guys are off to a great start.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-19-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #17
Blade6119
Coordinator

Hey guys, didnt realize we were doing the old names, so henceforth Colton Mayes shall be known as Dererth the bringer of bladed death(or just dereth is you prefer )
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #18
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Jadrich would be the first to tell you that Reod had deep blue eyes.

Dereth got lost in Reods dreamy blue eyes .

Dereth grew up in the war-torn border towns of Rhylla. Even from young age he exemplfied a talent for killing. It first happened when he was 11 and killed 40 men with only a dagger, single handily turning the tide of the Rhyllan Civil War on the fields of Carellia. From this day on, he was exalted as a hero, and revieved nothing but the best training and education. Then came the accident, when he accidently struck down his mentor in a fit of rage. He was expelled from the military academy, and was left to fend for himself in the Rhyllan Wilderness. This led to his strength increasing, but a lack of education from here on out left him always wanting more Wisdom, something he would be hard pressed to find. He became a Robin Hood of types, fighting to protect the small towns which he so beloved as a young boy. He made a name for himself yet again fighting in the outer areas of Rhylla. Then one day a beggar found his camp deep in the woods. He told him of the amazing adventure party being formed and that they had requested his presence for a chance to join. He agreed instantly in hopes of restoring his honor and a chance at glory. As he began his journey, he ran into many old friends from his days at the academy. He knew from that point on this would be an amazing experience. Dereth is a menacing figure of a man, 6'1, Bonde hair with looks to melt any woman's heart. He is of a strong build, but still accustomed to his wilderness time and therefore has lost something of his charisma and mannors. He has a scar on his chest from a wound he recieved when battling the Fire Dragon of the Rhylllan Ice Mountains, which he defeated using a combination of strength, wit(what wit he had), and amazing reflexes.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-19-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Paging Vince. You have a phone call in the blue room.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 PM   #20
MacroGuru
Coordinator

OOC:

Gents, I will be posting tomorrow. I just got back from my game and I am worn out. I am going to bed.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #21
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Hmmmmm, hmmm hmmm hm, hmmmm hmmm hmmm, hmmm . . .

Old Calidath, wooden leg and all
Jumped ship at syrens call
The seas were rough,
Though he was tough,
He washed away in the squall.

Poor Calidath, broken heart and all
Who became the syrens thrall
Hmmm, hmm, hmm, hmmm,
Hmmm, hmm, hmm, hmmm,
The rest I cannot recall . . ."

A momentary grin came across Jadrich's face.

"Quite a motley gathering of men we have here."

Then, he took a deep breath and began humming again.

"Hmmmmm, hmmm hmmm hm, hmmmm hmmm hmmm, hmmm . . ."

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-19-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:07 PM   #22
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

"Jadrich, when this thing is over with we shall have to speak of your future," said a raised female voice, deep and carrying from near the doorway. "Your talents might be worthy of a more permanent position here, if it suits you."

A woman of middle-age, with two grim-looking armed men close behind, was advancing into the hall. A smile graced her lips, but it remained small and lacked for warmth. Her hair was her dominant feature, dark with a reddish hue and sweeping about her face and down upon her dark silken gown.

Middle aged, perhaps...her face was quite hard but still had a youthful smoothness to the skin. That Lady Del Var was a sorcerer was known to all of them, and it was always difficult to gauge the age of Cranstonians.

She halted a few paces beyond the group, and placed her hands on her hips as she appraised them. A Cranstonian elf-mage...nothing worthy of concern, for he lacked her power, and she trusted him until proved otherwise. Rhyllans, two of them warriors of some repute and - hmmm? - issues? The other a ranger, always a hard lot to figure. An Azaran rogue, of all things! But one selected tools for a task, and that this one had certain talents was without question. And Jadrich. She'd liked him from the start.

A delcious blend of brute and brain. But would they be worthy enough? Time would tell.

"Questions, gentlemen...I'm sure you've got many of them. Now is the time to ask. You are the cream of the crop. The chaff has been cleared away, and will serve me in other - hmmm? - capacities? I will provide you with the details of this expedition shortly, but perhaps you have things you'd like to know before I proceed?"
Old 06-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #23
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion regarded his unfinished drink while hearing Lady Delvar speak. Debating inwardly a bit, he finally stands..

"My Lady", the Ranger says with a bow of his head."Upon hearing your call for men on a great quest, I felt it was my duty to serve Rhylla. In doing that I also left my own life behind, when this is over are we just to pick and go back with a simple thanks, or are there other rewards in line?"

Last edited by JeffNights : 06-20-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:25 PM   #24
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

"Nightion," the lady replied, gently spoken but with the smile diminished to an emotionless stare. "I would remind you that you serve me in this matter, not Rhylla. The empire matters not, except that what is kept from Prytian hands benefits them. However..."

She paused to absently adjust a thick, bejeweled silver ring on the middle finger of her left hand. The small, cool smile returned. "If this...thing is what I believe it may be...your rewards will be ample. Trust in that."
Old 06-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #25
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich took to one knee so quickly that you thought that the ground had moved out from under him. Tipping his hat slightly, he bowed to the beautiful noblewoman. The movement seemed as if it had been rehearsed and performed thousands of times prior.

Remaining on one knee, but replacing the hat on his head, Jadrich spoke, discounting Nightion's words:

"Good Lady, your compliments are beyond their merit. Yet, I thank thee for the kind words. They will sing in my ears for weeks to come. "

Rising from his knee and looking into the Lady's eyes, he continued:

"Similarly, I apologize for Nightion's quick words. Though, the question arose in us all, we should trust in your judgement. I know you to be a wise lady and would not think that you would select such men as you have, if you knew there wouldn't be reward in it. True, there are some of us here for whom gold does not carry its weight, yet some of us did see the invitation as a profitable opportunity. I'd fein to think that you would have judged otherwise in your wisdom."

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-20-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #26
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Lady Del Var chuckled, a deep, throaty and almost guttural sound. She approached Jadrich to stand closely in front of him, her gaze set on a level with his own. Her eyes were very dark, in the manner of the Cranstonians, piercing and unyielding.

"You deem me wise. And perhaps someday you'll recite a poem or sing a song befitting the wisdom of which you speak, even in this very hall." She gestured around her with a sweeping hand, before returning her gaze to Jadrich.

"Or perhaps you'll curse my name upon the haunted fields of Wootmerry, for that is where you are headed."

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-20-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #27
Blade6119
Coordinator

Dereth stood abruptly with his usual disregard for mannors. In the wild, he had no need for politeness, and it shone through here. He spoke between sips of his drink and incoherent sounds. "What this chatter be about haunted fields and all this...i be knowing a thing or two about haunted things, and there is always something causing it....a sword usually sorts out all that haunted rubbish. You be telling us why we going there for you?" Dereth looked back at Nightion, apparently sharing his current view-point as self-gain before that of the group. Dereth scanned the eyes of his companions after asking, hoping to appraise how they felt on the topic...His eyes caught a figure in the corner, and figured it was the elf-mage she spoke of...must be a quiet type, or possibly asleep. Dereth decided to poke the mage with his sword while waiting for the lady to form a respone.
Demotivation
Old 06-20-2004, 07:54 PM   #28
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Perhaps, one day, m'lady, indeed I will sing such a song." Jadrich smiled broadly not indicating which song it was that he might sing.

"Haunted Forest of Wootmerry? Sounds like an enchanting place. I was thinking of vacationing there, but low and behold I hear it's best to visit it in the Spring when the ghosts are in full bloom."

Jadrich paused to shine another toothy grin.

"Do go on, m'lady. I'd be willing to bet that you're not sending us on a vacation. What matters of importance do you have in Wootmerry for us to fulfill?"

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-20-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #29
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Stop hitting on the wench jadrich, there will be time for that latter...She was about to answer my question i do believe...werent you woman?" Dereth obviously did not like this change of pace from jadrich, as he was dead-set on seeking the information he required. Little did he know, due to his lack of intelligence, was that Jadrich was slowly reaching the same topic with quite a few more mannors involved.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-20-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:02 PM   #30
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich laughed heartily, before shooting a hard glance at Dereth.

"Good, neighbor. You confuse my etiquette with affection. You are speaking to a Lady of Cranston. I'd remind you," Jadrich turned his glance to Nightion, "and you . . . of her station and that she should be accorded the respect that her ladyship provides her. If you cannot engage in civil conversation, I'd advise you to bite your tongues until Her Grace leaves our company."

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-20-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #31
Blade6119
Coordinator

"Lady of crestine, or frastone, or whatever, she should learn to answer a man when he asks a question. If i had ever been with a woman, i would have taught her mannors all right. As for you Jadrich, you have so far shown me nothing. I trust one person in my life, me. Until you do something to prove yourself to me, it would be wise for a rouge not to get in the way of such a might warrior as I."
Demotivation
Old 06-20-2004, 08:17 PM   #32
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

"Clearly the drink speaks for you, Dereth," said Lady Del Var, smiling now like a serpent might. She raised her hand slightly, and the two men-at-arms stepped forward, hands upon the hilts of their longswords. "Wootmerry hath not the 'rewards' that I will render if you persist in speaking to me in that manner. Sit down now, and shut your mouth."

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-20-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 PM   #33
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Good neighbor, I will take your admittance that you have never been with a woman as further indication that you should bite your tongue for the moment. As for who you trust, that is up to you. I will not better you with blades, that is by all means certain. However, each man has his own strengths and weaknesses. If you trust yourself and your instincts, then see how the Lady reacts to your spittle as opposed to mine. My weapon of choice is my words. If you want to make no money on this expedition or get tossed from it, please continue to insult the lady. However, if you'd like for us all to secure a fair contract for our services. I'd once again urge you to bite your tongue."
Old 06-20-2004, 08:21 PM   #34
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Looking up from his cup, that he appeared lost in, Brayden smiles as he notices the beauty, and demeanor of the Lady.

Obviously she is used to getting what she wants when she wants, and hopefully, a scoundrel such as himself, might get lucky.

Smiling he arises. "Lady, obviously you have been impressed with something each of us brings to the table, and I for one know where my place here is in the party. I for one, am anxious to move on, as the faster we are done, the faster I am able to move forward with my other enterprises."
Old 06-20-2004, 08:21 PM   #35
Blade6119
Coordinator

Showing obvious displeasure over the comments of the lady, Dereth sat down and decided to be quiet for a little while. For the time being, this woman had impressed him, for no woman had stood up to him until this day. This act had won his silence, and despite not admitting it, it had gained her a glimmer of respect...something he did not give out lightly.
Demotivation
Old 06-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #36
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Turning back to the Lady with a noticeable exhale.

"My Lady, please do continue. My apologies for the interruption."
Old 06-20-2004, 08:53 PM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod Dai turned around when he heard the voice of Lady Del Var. He moved to a position behind the others, but in clear site of Lady Del Var. There was no need for an introduction. Both figures knew each other well.

Reod listened to the small battle of words between Dereth and Jadrich. When it was over, he turned his attention to Lady Del Var again. He was more than thankful to go anywhere she needed him.

Last edited by Poli : 06-20-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #38
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion cared little for trying to impress the Lady Del Var, he would respect her of course,but he had his own reasons for wanting to know what gains would come of this expedition. Upon hearing where the Lady intended to send them, he rose to his feet.

"The forrests of Wootberry is not to be taken lightly. There are spirits and gouls that have layed claim to them for thousands of years, it is not a place where a group goes for a comfortable stroll. If we go there, the reason must be just and of utmost importance. I recognize you are wise, and I hope your answer will suffice this course of action.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:09 AM   #39
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

After a long, penetrating look at the haughty Dereth, Lady Del Var turned her gaze slowly, cat-like, to each of the others. Her head turned but little as her eyes paused on each of the adventurers in silent consideration. Finally, her lips pursed and eyes narrowed upon the form of the Rhyllan ranger, Nightion.

"Indeed, an utmost importance. As our Azaran friend has noted, you each have been chosen for your particular skills. You all have talents, which will hopefully help convey this expedition to its successful conclusion. But enough of this posturing! Wootmerry is not a place for anything but caution and sense of purpose. If you spar amongst yourselves you are doomed to fail, and that benefits no one."

She fell silent for a moment, walking in a slow semi-circle around the gathered men. She halted her step in front of a massive candle-holder, and reached out to tip her little finger in a dribble of wax. She smiled at some inner jest, and then turned again to the gathering. With dramatic effect, she pulled a piece of parchment from her sleeve, and held it forth.

"I've acquired something of great interest, gentlemen," she said smugly, and the look on her face spoke volumes of its worth.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:33 AM   #40
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"My Lady, if I might . . . " Jadrich reached for the parchment slowly trying to detect if she was indeed offering it up to the group for their perusal.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #41
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

With a quick movement of her hand, Lady Del Var withdrew the parchment a bit further from Jadrich’s extended grasp, as a mother might pull a sugared treat back from a petulant child. Her eyes suggested this was a teasing move more than anything, however.

“Not yet, Jadrich, not yet. A few further words of explanation first,” she said, pausing for effect. “You all no doubt have heard of the ancient Javadan empire, and the spawn of it who migrated to what we now know as Wootmerry. Much was lost in the devastation that was wrought upon that land long ago…blood and stone and wood and memory. You Rhyllans may recall the War of the North in your histories, as well as its cataclysmic conclusion.”

She focused her gaze momentarily upon Nightion, then continued, holding forth the parchment once again. “Ancient references to a powerful Javadan wizard are written upon this. As is a map…which will lead you deep into Wootmerry.”

Slowly she held out the parchment to Jadrich.

“Your expedition will follow the map to its objective. You will investigate what is indicated, and – most importantly – you will carry away what magical artifacts you find there. I am not concerned with other mundane forms of treasure, which are yours to loot and divide as you see fit. But I will have the magical plunder…as well as all candles. And be forewarned: I will know what you encounter, what you take, and what you leave. I hope you take my meaning.”

“One other thing…there will be others. Do not let them interfere, or win out in the hunt for these sites. If need be, kill them.”
Old 06-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #42
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich gracefully took the parchment from the Lady's hand, studied it briefly, then handed it back to Nightion.

"I believe that you would be better suited to be the caretaker and interpreter of this object. If you would oblige us to be the keeper of such an important document, I would be grateful."

Jadrich smiled at Nightion then turned back to the Lady.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #43
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"As for payment, m'lady, what you offer seems fair at the surface, yet it also seems distant. There are certain supplies and expenses that my companions and I may need to acquire prior to our journey. Although the promise of treasure is exciting, it does not pay for our current needs. We would beg of you that if you would like to see this expedition succeed that you forward us a stipend that would cover our costs until profits come in. Would you do us this small favor, m'lady?"
Old 06-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #44
MacroGuru
Coordinator

"Well, loot and plunder, not a bad campaign. But of course, if magic is involved, it's gonna be bad."

Brayden smiled to the others. "Well then Gentlemen, let's get on with it. Oh, and if we bring a mute mage with us, things are going to be awfully troublesome." He then laughs a little as the one person in the room who has yet to speak, is the one Cranstonian.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-22-2004 at 12:36 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #45
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion carefully accpeted the parchment form Jadrich, his eyes intensely scanned the markings on it...

"This is indeed ancient .....I cannot even begin to tell you the translation"

Last edited by JeffNights : 06-22-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod only knew rumors of Wootmerry. Despite the name, it conjured up visions of evil. He had never been a foot inside the Wootmerry realm, and had secretly hoped to stay that way. Already a troubled soul, Reod looked a little bit more worried. He was determined to find out some facts about Wootmerry. He tried hard not to appear worried as he spoke.

"I've never been to Wootmerry, but I hear it's not for the faint of heart. What more can any of you tell us about this forest?"
Old 06-21-2004, 07:56 PM   #47
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Surprisingly, it was one of Lady Del Var’s swordsmen who answered. His voice was rough and gravelly, but even through this the emotion in his voice was keen.

“It is not a mere forest. It is the ruins of a devastated kingdom, possessed by all manner of foul creatures, magicks, and spirits. Crazed hill people are scattered about its lands, gibbering like madmen by day and screaming like banshees at night. Strange magical sights and sounds enchant the night skies over Wootmerry. It is a cursed place.”
Old 06-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #48
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Crazed hill people? Foul creatures? Spirits? Magicks?" Jadrich says with fein confusion, but subconsciously he hears the ringing of gold coins filling his purse. "M'Lady, with all due respect, it is established that this is a very dangerous place. Can we at least agree upon that? Good. Also, I understand that time is of the essence. The sooner that you can obtain the magical devices and candles, the better for you, right? Then why do we sit around and tell ghost stories? Our time would be better spent finalizing the contract."

Jadrich paused for a moment to look around, noticing that he might be pushing the contract issue a little too hard. Jadrich proceeded, nonetheless.

"Let me offer up some terms for you to consider. First, as a group we get a 500 gold piece stipend prior to leaving to cover expenses. Second, those of us who do not have horses are provided with horses for the journey. Third we are provided with two pack horses or pack mules. Fourth, we are guaranteed a flat some of 3000 gold pieces for completing the expedition. Finally, as stated previously we return all captured magical items and candles to you, yet we get to keep any of the monetary spoils."

Jadrich paused to read the Lady's reaction to his words but could gather no insight. Jadrich proceeded, nonetheless.

"Mind you, m'lady, that we are risking our lives over meaningless magical objects and a few wax candles. This Wootmerry is a dangerous place. I would think it wise that you give us cause to take up this adventure as well as cause, other than your wrath, to return with whatever spoils we may garner. I am but a humble barkeep and businessman, m'lady. And though I wish to serve you, know also that I wish to profit as I'm sure my companions do, with the exception of perhaps Reod Dai and the mute mage."

Jadrich paused again, briefly knowing that his voice was droning in the ears of all of those around him. Jadrich proceeded, nonetheless.

"You know what kind of men we are, m'lady. We are fair men of our word, who will honor a fair contract. Yet it is also to be said that we are mostly the type that would not honor an unfair contract. Let us squabble over this issue no more and agree to terms so that we may be on our way."

With that Jadrich halted his speech, knowing his offer to be decent. Imploring with his eyes that the Lady respond with a fair counter offer if she did not accept the terms that he provided.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-21-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:45 PM   #49
Blade6119
Coordinator

Dereth had felt his silence had lasted long enough. He felt that a vocal support of his to Jadrich would do no help at the current time due to his little argument over Lady del var, but there was still information he wanted to know. "Lady, would you care to answer a few more of my questions...im sure you are someone that understands how valuable proper information can be at crucial moments. Would you care to tell us how these candels relate to the magic or even the mage. Will he be hostile to us, and what of these other adventurers you speak of. Will they be hostile, and if so what are our orders in relation to them?" Dereth wanted to know the details of what enemies they would face, and left the non-combat details to the others.
Demotivation
Old 06-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Now pinch hitting, for Blade,....