Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

College Application Question

l am submitting an application to the University of Dayton and in the application there is a " Statement. " I must " submit a personal statement describing a significant achievement, experience or risk and its impact on you. "

I may be reading too much into this, but by asking for a statement are they asking for an essay or something shorter. I really have no idea as to what they expect from this.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

I'd write a page
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Klinglerware
College Starter

Personal statement = essay.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

They just want an e-mail address. I suggest [email protected].
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Klinglerware
College Starter

Dola - as GWB mentions, keep it to a page...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You should go with the old stand-by and internet staple:

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row. I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA.

I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid.

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prize-winning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin.

I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis. But I have not yet gone to college.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

For whatever it's worth, they're usually looking for between 500-1000 words, i.e. about a page depending on formatting and such.

The statement should be a reflection of you. If you're "stumped for ideas" I recommend checking out other college's applications, they may have better-worded requests for statements.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

All college essays are just requests for brief, original writing samples.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
heybrad
Norm!!!

I race cars, play tennis and fondle women, BUT I have weekends off and I am my own boss.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

Good luck at UD if you do get in. You'll like it there... as long as you're a conservative Catholic. And not black.

Or if you can drink your weight in Old Milwaukee.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Good luck at UD if you do get in. You'll like it there... as long as you're a conservative Catholic. And not black.

Or if you can drink your weight in Old Milwaukee.

Ha. I have heard the stories I am sending in apps to UD, Ohio State, University of Toledo, and Miami U. I have seen all but UT. I really liked the UD campus more then the other two though. I am actually more liberal then conservative, and I have not been to church in years. But, I am not black so we are good there.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202
Ha. I have heard the stories I am sending in apps to UD, Ohio State, University of Toledo, and Miami U.

Do you mean THE Ohio State University?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202
But, I am not black so we are good there.

I am soooo going to take this out of context for years to come...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row. I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA.

I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid.

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prize-winning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin.

I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis. But I have not yet gone to college.

Thanks. That one worked and got me accepted. jk

Whatever I sent worked. I got accepted. Dayton may not be Harvard but, I really wanted to go so I am happy.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 AM   #15
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Congratulations. Bring your own girlfriend. A friend of mine was stationed at the W-P air force base in Dayton for a while and he said the locals call it "Dateless Ohio" for the apparent overwhelming male-to-female population ratio.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Congrats!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Congratulations on getting accepted. While I have nothing to add regarding essays, I didn't know that schools actually asked for essays. Perhaps my alma mater is just weird, but all I had to do was bring some ID and take the ACT. As long as I wrote the same name on the ACT test as was printed on my ID, I was accepted.

Anyway, congratulations.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I wrote an essay to get into my college... It was only 11 words long and they accepted me. It was -

Pay to the order of Christopher Newport University. Two Thousand Dollars.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #19
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats!!!!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

Vin Diesel still has you beat. Chuck Norris, too

That said, this is what always cracks me up about both college essays and job interviews- this is what it seems like what is expected and people will lie all they want to give it to them.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:44 AM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Congratulations. Bring your own girlfriend. A friend of mine was stationed at the W-P air force base in Dayton for a while and he said the locals call it "Dateless Ohio" for the apparent overwhelming male-to-female population ratio.

Hey now, I met my wife while I was in Dayton. I really liked living there, better than where I am now. That comment has to be from someone who hangs out at meat markets. There are plenty of girls in Dayton.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote