Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

2009 FOFC Fantasy Hockey Draft Thread

Let's discuss league rules and a draft schedule here.

1) Draft results are also on the Yahoo site: Sign in to Yahoo!
2) Please keep a spreadsheet of your roster because Yahoo will not allow me to update the rosters screen in the league until the draft is complete. However you will note that the available player pool is correct.

Our 12 players are:

2009 FOFC Fantasy Hockey League Draft Order (snake draft)

1 - Travis
2 - Chief Rum
3 - boberot
4 - Fidatelo
5 - samifan24
6 - TurnerONU22
7 - bhlloy
8 - DeToxRox
9 - RomaGoth
10 - bbor
11 - Honolulu_Blue
12 - Suburban Rhythm

I believe last year we used the following rosters (although I cannot access last year's league on Yahoo to confirm)

C / C
LW / LW
RW / RW
FW
D / D / D / D
G / G
Bench / Bench / Bench / Bench

Last edited by samifan24 : 09-24-2009 at 11:16 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Oh wow, right down to R/C/L... that's an interesting wrinkle I've never contended with. I assume the Yahoo site will be what we use as the gospel as to which position a forward plays? I know my other pools have had issues even with just F/D when guys like Fedorov or Byfuglien move around.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Oh wow, right down to R/C/L... that's an interesting wrinkle I've never contended with. I assume the Yahoo site will be what we use as the gospel as to which position a forward plays? I know my other pools have had issues even with just F/D when guys like Fedorov or Byfuglien move around.

I think it makes things more difficult and allows for more strategy on the part of a team owner. I think we should follow Yahoo's player pool with regards to listed positions but I'm open to a group vote if that's what the majority wants.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I usually play according to what the player's primary position is. Usually this coincides with Yahoo for example, but in a case like Fedorov I am not sure. I prefer to just keep it as simple as possible.

On a side note, I am out of town on business tomorrow and Wednesday, so not entirely sure I will have access to this site and/or my email or not. What are the plans for a league, a draft, etc..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

That's one thing I like about doing the draft through yahoo (and I'm assuming ESPN is the same). Just use their player position designations and go from there. The more automated it is, the better imho.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I can't believe nobody has taken Ovechkin yet.

Sorry, just always wanted to do that in a draft thread.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
samifan24
Pro Starter

Another question is how will we determine the draft order?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

There are sites that let you set up a group of emails, hit a button, and then it sends out emails to everyone simultaneously with the order it generates. I'll see if I can dig up a link.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

hxxp://www.fftoolbox.com/draft_order_generator.cfm
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola

hxxp://www.fftoolbox.com/draft_order_generator.cfm

Looks good. Let's put it to a vote. Anyone in favor of using the draft order generator to create the draft order, speak up.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Travis
Pro Rookie

Assuming we're doing an offline draft, I'm good with it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Count me in.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Sounds good.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

fine by me
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok that's 7 of 12 that are ok with letting that site determine a random draft order. Please PM me your email addresses and I will input them on that site and we will all receive an email with the results.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #16
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm fine with everything so far.

As far as positions, I believe it's something like 4 games or 8 games a player must have in a position to be eligible there. So for example, Byfuglien would be at RW until he had 8 games at D. Now, not really sure how a "game" is determined...is it one shift?

Only other issue I'd have, I no longer have FOFC access at work.
But I am fine leaving my work email, and if somone can fwd me the picks since my last selection, I can send it to them.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've received email addresses from six of the twelve owners in the league. Please pass word along to the others. We can start the draft thread as soon as the order has been determined. I will also create the league and set it to an offline draft in which I input the draft results. Have we agreed on Yahoo then?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am fine with Yahoo.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
boberot
High School Varsity

Yahoo works.

I've never done an offline draft, but certainly willing to give it a shot.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

you need more spots! so I an dominate you all!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #21
Travis
Pro Rookie

Count me in for yahoo.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bumpity-bumpity-bump

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
boberot
High School Varsity

I don't know how long these offline drafts take, but amazingly it's just two weeks til the puck drops on the season.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya we need to get this shit started if this is going to happen.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully sami comes around soon and runs the randomizer, and we can start picking at least. If we need to make little changes (what site we use, rules changes, etc.), we can quibble over that as we go along.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

How do we score points in this league? Here is what I've always used:

1 pt for a goal
1 pt for an assist

2 pts for a win (goalie)
1 pt for a shutout (goalie) {this means that a shutout win = 3pts}

I've always found that simpler = better (not a huge fan of PIMs, GAA, etc) but I'm up for whatever.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #27
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
How do we score points in this league? Here is what I've always used:

1 pt for a goal
1 pt for an assist

2 pts for a win (goalie)
1 pt for a shutout (goalie) {this means that a shutout win = 3pts}

I've always found that simpler = better (not a huge fan of PIMs, GAA, etc) but I'm up for whatever.

Last year it was:

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shorthanded Points (SHP), Shots on Goal (SOG)

Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Holy shit
Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #29
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

I think I might be in over my head. I'd need to create an Excel sheet with calculations and then import all of last seasons stats in order to properly just rate players in order, never mind the positional aspect.

Wow.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #30
boberot
High School Varsity

Yahoo does a pretty decent job of ranking guys based on this point structure. Obviously you have your own opinions about players, but it gives you a pretty good framework to start from.

What I like about this format is that it rewards the solid two-way players on good teams [+/-] as well as the guys who have some skills but also do a little enforcing [PIM].
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #31
samifan24
Pro Starter

I am still waiting to hear from two players: RomaGoth and Fidatelo. I am PMing both. If they're still in, I will run the randomizer as soon as I hear from them. If not, we will drop down to a 10 team league.

We should use the default Yahoo scoring categories listed above for scoring. I will create a league with an offline draft and invite everyone once we get going.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

To further complicate matters...haha

I am out of town this weekend, back some time Monday night.

If we are going to start by then, someone (again, if williing to keep me in the loop) can send me texts. I am assuming I'll have coverage. We are taking the kids to Niagara Falls. Maybe being in Canada will inspire me, eh? When in doubt, I'll hit the local Tim Hortons and get advice on who to take.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #33
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I had sent my email yesterday, not sure why it never went through. Anyways, it's been sent again.

I forgot I'm also out of town on sat/sun. Unlike Suburban Rhythm, I won't be reachable in any way. Maybe I could just give someone a list and they could choose the next available guy on the list for all of my picks until I get back?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #34
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I had sent my email yesterday, not sure why it never went through. Anyways, it's been sent again.

I forgot I'm also out of town on sat/sun. Unlike Suburban Rhythm, I won't be reachable in any way. Maybe I could just give someone a list and they could choose the next available guy on the list for all of my picks until I get back?

I have not received a PM from you at all. Please re-send.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #35
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

What the deuce? Ok, I'll try PM one more time. Maybe the mods have cut off my ability to PM without telling me, like the 'ghost' thing they used to punish people with for kicks.

If this next one doesn't go through, just put in a fake email address or something and I'll trust you guys to tell me where I fall in the order.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ok PM sent.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #37
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok PM sent.

Nothing. How about you just post your email here with a spoiler tag and then delete it after I grab it. Something like "Fidatelo" @ NOT coldmail.com to avoid spam bots.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #38
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

ok I've created an email account specifically for this draft!

fidatelo @ kmail.com

(k = g)
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #39
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok I'm giving RomaGoth till 7 PM tonight. I'm going to post for a new owner in the NHL thread, too. We need to start this draft ASAP. For those that are going out of town, please submit a list (or a length of your choosing). We will allow 12 hours per pick and automated picks will happen immediately. If all players on your list have been picked you will be given the highest ranked player on the Yahoo default rankings. Sound good?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #40
samifan24
Pro Starter

RomaGoth is in. Draft email coming shortly.

2009 FOFC Fantasy Hockey League Draft Order (snake draft)

1 - Travis
2 - Chief Rum
3 - boberot
4 - Fidatelo
5 - samifan24
6 - TurnerONU22
7 - bhlloy
8 - DeToxRox
9 - RomaGoth
10 - bbor
11 - Honolulu_Blue
12 - Suburban Rhythm

Last edited by samifan24 : 09-17-2009 at 08:59 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #41
samifan24
Pro Starter

copied directly from SI's FOFC Hardcore Baseball League thread

There are 6 hour time limits between the hours of 7am EDT and 10pm EDT on weekdays. Hopefully we don't have to enforce this but we almost always have to a couple of times during the draft.

If you had more than an hour the previous night (the previous pick was made at 9pm), you get 1 hour in the morning (until 9am) to make your pick. If you had less than an hour, you have 2 hours in the morning (until 10am). We have to keep this moving and we need everyone checking every night and every morning if it's near their turn.

On weekends, we'll just go with a standard 6 hours with no morning/evening provision but let's try to keep things moving.

If there are problems in that you know your pick is coming up but you won't be online, submit a list either to myself or to a proxy drafter for you. Otherwise, you will get the next player on Yahoo's list. Maybe pick someone who is on the opposite end of the draft from you so that you likely won't be grabbing from the same pool of players anyways.

If you miss more than 2 picks in the draft (i.e. time limit expired so a Yahoo rankings pick), particularly in the first 10 rounds, then you can be replaced as manager.

----

I think we're ready to go. I created the Yahoo league this morning and you should've all received an email with a link to join. I imported last year's scoring and roster settings as well.

When we draft, please write your pick as the following:

1.1 RW Alex Ovechkin - WSH

Please verify that the player you selected is eligible at that position in the Yahoo game (Byfuglien, for example). Hopefully we can get through a few rounds quickly before the weekend.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Sounds good. Can someone explain to me how the scoring works for all those categories that we are tracking? Is it like 10PIMs = 1 pt or something? I'll need that info to properly define some sort of list.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #43
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

4th overall, good grief. That's about the worst slot I could have imagined. Top 3 is easy, but I was dreading 4. Ugh...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #44
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Double Dola

Just read about the Yahoo link which has the scoring, please ignore my post 2 up.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #45
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Triple Dola

Ok even after reviewing the Yahoo site I can't figure out how the scoring works. I need a "complicated hockey drafts for dummies" book.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #46
Travis
Pro Rookie

Fid, it's totals like head to head baseball. Whichever team ends up with more goals in a week from all their starting players wins that category. The "score" of the game between the two teams is the final category leader count.

So if your team wins G, +/-, PPP, SoG, W and Shutouts but loses the rest of the categories (GAA and Sv% are averaged out stats between your goalies time played so they're the only non cumulative stats) you'd go 6-5 that week (ties will happen as well).

Hope that helps and if I'm butchering this, somebody please correct/clarify me please.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #47
Travis
Pro Rookie

Assuming we can begin (and if I'm wrong here again, please let me know), I'll go with:

1.1 LW Alex Ovechkin - WSH
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #48
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So is this head-to-head each week against one other team in the league? I'm so confused. I think I'll just take Colin White at #4.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #49
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So is this head-to-head each week against one other team in the league?

Yes.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #50
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hmm interesting. Is there a games played limit or something? Or does the guy who manages to start the most players in a week simply have an advantage? What if my goalies are on teams that only play 1 or 2 games in a week when my opponents goalies are playing 3 or even 4?