Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

July console sales numbers......

June numbers were similar to the previous months in North America. Wii way ahead, PS2 in 2nd, 360 in 3rd and the PS3 bringing up the rear. Pretty mundane stuff.

Finally, there's something interesting to discuss with the PS3 price drop. Here is the data for the first two weeks in July (no handhelds in these numbers).

Quote:
July 7th, 2007 ($599 PS3)

Wii - 69,510
PS2 - 45,066
360 - 34,623
PS3 - 17,770
GC - 2,112
Xbox - 14

July 14th, 2007 ($499 PS3)

Wii - 76,394
PS2 - 43,406
PS3 - 41,005
360 - 35,084
GC - 1,864
Xbox - 11

Some points:

1. Wii continues to climb the ladder, selling 12% more Wii's than the previous week.

2. PS3 sales jump from 17.7K to 41K.

3. PS2 sales only dipped by about 2K. I thought they would drop a bit more with a cheaper PS3 as an alternative, but it appears that the PS2 and PS3 sales numbers don't necessarily correlate in that if one sells more, the other one dips.

4. 360 sales go up very slightly. Good sign for them that the PS3 sales increase didn't take away their steady sales numbers.

5. Who were the 11 people that bought an Xbox?????

I should note that these are numbers from vgchartz, so they may be somewhat inaccurate, but they provide a good trending indicator overall.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-19-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
June numbers were similar to the previous months in North America. Wii way ahead, PS2 in 2nd, 360 in 3rd and the PS3 bringing up the rear. Pretty mundane stuff.

Finally, there's something interesting to discuss with the PS3 price drop. Here is the data for the first two weeks in July (no handhelds in these numbers).

Some points:

1. Wii continues to climb the ladder, selling 12% more Wii's than the previous week.

2. PS3 sales jump from 17.7K to 41K.

3. PS2 sales only dipped by about 2K. I thought they would drop a bit more with a cheaper PS3 as an alternative, but it appears that the PS2 and PS3 sales numbers don't necessarily correlate in that if one sells more, the other one dips.

4. 360 sales go up very slightly. Good sign for them that the PS3 sales increase didn't take away their steady sales numbers.

5. Who were the 11 people that bought an Xbox?????

Lol, I want to buy an XBox next month so I can say I'm one of the handful that did.

Looks like a good month (sales increase) for everyone, with a big jump by the PS3. I wonder if the handheld is about the same? If all the consoles went up, did the handhelds go down?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

Nothing really changes for the long term forecast.

Wii is still going to dominate this generation. The PS3 is still in a world of hurt. The price drop generated about 23k units. But it still just barely clipped the 360 and it's pretty safe assumption to make that they are going to rubber band back a little after the initial influx.

The number that continues to amaze me is the PS2. Just an incredible system.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'd buy a PS2 right now if I could get the thicker ones. I don't like the thin ones, so I'm borrowing a friend's thick PS2 right now.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
3. PS2 sales only dipped by about 2K. I thought they would drop a bit more with a cheaper PS3 as an alternative, but it appears that the PS2 and PS3 sales numbers

The people picking up a PS2 now probably won't consider a PS3 till 2010 or later. The price of the PS2 is a major attraction to people who are looking for a cheap console with a ton of available games.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'd buy a PS2 right now if I could get the thicker ones. I don't like the thin ones, so I'm borrowing a friend's thick PS2 right now.

That's hot.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
That's hot.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Nothing really changes for the long term forecast.

Wii is still going to dominate this generation. The PS3 is still in a world of hurt. The price drop generated about 23k units. But it still just barely clipped the 360 and it's pretty safe assumption to make that they are going to rubber band back a little after the initial influx.

The number that continues to amaze me is the PS2. Just an incredible system.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on the point of the Wii dominating this generation. The numbers are great so far and that will never take away from what they have done to this point, but I still firmly believe that in a year or so, the fad will fade away and the 360 and PS3 will catch up quite a bit over the long haul.

Certainly not saying that the Wii sucks or will get hammered in the end, but given that console generations are going to be 7-10 years, first year sales are huge, but not the be all end all. Once more people start entering the HDTV market (along with the PS3 establishing a better overall game base) and another wave of price cuts (I know, lots of conditions, but none that are that far fetched for either the 360 or PS3), the two will start the road back to evening out this battle.

Will they ever match the overall console number sales, maybe not. Will the Wii still be outselling them in total sales at a 2 or 3 to 1 clip in 5 years, I just can't see it (talking overall sales at that point, not just current/monthly).

Complete agreement on the PS2 numbers. I have a hard time believing any system from the current gen will have that sort of staying power at the next switch over.

Again, just my opinion, feel free to flame away (not directed at you on that one Troy, just in general).
Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Certainly not saying that the Wii sucks or will get hammered in the end, but given that console generations are going to be 7-10 years, first year sales are huge, but not the be all end all.

I'm not sure what'll be in the future, but you really think it'll be 2014-2017 until we see the next generation?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

It will be interesting to see how much of that gain in sales the PS3 will keep in the weeks and months to come.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Travis,

The Wii is going to continue to have a base the other two systems don't:

It appeals to both children and adults and it's the cheapest of the three.

It's going to stay strong. I think it will win this round by millions. And no, I don't think the next generation is 10 years away. Sony would like you to believe it is, but I don't think so. 7 years max.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Tyrith
College Starter

Talking about the Wii winning...the console sales numbers are not the end all, be all of the bottom line. Game sales make up a lot of it for everyone involved, and something tells me, long term, the expensive systems will sell more games than the Wii, which will mostly sell a few select first party titles en masse.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'm not sure what'll be in the future, but you really think it'll be 2014-2017 until we see the next generation?

Wii and PS3 both came out in late 06 (PS2 in late 2000 and the Gamecube in late 2001) with the 360 in late 05 (Xbox near the end of 2001). Wouldn't surprise me at all if this one goes 10 years, though certainly not my area of expertise and I have 0 contacts in the industry to know what is under development or if one of the three may try to get a jump on the other two next time around.

Just seems like a bit of a trend given how much work goes into the design of the console and how long it then takes for developers to fully utilize the differing features to each (ie: Wii likely getting better 3rd party games next year with their sprint start and the PS3 now getting more games developed for their system rather than ports of 360 titles) along with MS and Sony each really developing systems that are intended for the next wave of home theatre technology. I'd be surprised if the gap between consoles shrunk anyways.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
Talking about the Wii winning...the console sales numbers are not the end all, be all of the bottom line. Game sales make up a lot of it for everyone involved, and something tells me, long term, the expensive systems will sell more games than the Wii, which will mostly sell a few select first party titles en masse.

When you get a huge install base, it does a few things for you.

1) More developers make games for your system.
2) That means more games, with more people who own the system to buy those games, it equals major sales for any "hit" title.

As of now the Wii is selling a ton of games. I think it continues. I think it has more "sleeper" hits than the other two systems as we go forward. Time will tell.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

2) That means more games, with more people who own the system to buy those games, it equals major sales for any "hit" title.

As of now the Wii is selling a ton of games. I think it continues. I think it has more "sleeper" hits than the other two systems as we go forward. Time will tell.

Not to mention the different controller set per game that litter the display cases at Futureshop/Bestbuy

They've done a great job marketing themselves as the cheaper alternative, but I wonder when all is said and done, once you factor in kids and mom/dad giving in to not just the game, but the game specific *extras* just how quickly they make up that cost differential.

Certainly not berating them for it, it's great marketing and hides the price a lot better than slapping a $599 price tag on the box.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
MJ4H
Coordinator

This time next year is when the Wii will actually be coming into its own, not a becoming a fading fad.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #17
Synovia
High School Varsity

what "game specific controllers"? I havent found a game yet I can't play with either my nunchuk/wiimotes, or a gamecube controller. dont forget, the sixaxis controllers are $50 a pop too.

If you think this is just a fad, you're missing whats going on here. Honestly, I think for the next 2 years or so, the Wii is going to continue to widen the weekly sales gap. Nintendo is giving the thing away to nursing homes. What do you think Gramma is gonna get the kiddies for christmas?

I think the Wii is going to crush the PS3 and 360 almost as badly as the PS2 crushed the Xbox and Gamecube

Last edited by Synovia : 07-19-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Someone mentioned in a previous version of this thread that a third party developer could invent a game for the Wii that really takes unique advatage of the Wiimote and become a major system seller--a'la Guitar Hero.

It may, of course, not happen. But with an install base that large, you would have to think that it is now worth the development costs for people to try.

And, even if 3rd party developers never create the Holy Grail game for the Wii, the fact that they are even going to try is a huge win for the Wii. They will not be the system of poorly done ports and kids games like I initially expected.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The people picking up a PS2 now probably won't consider a PS3 till 2010 or later. The price of the PS2 is a major attraction to people who are looking for a cheap console with a ton of available games.

I don't have any console yet (haven't since Super Nintendo), but that's what I'm thinking about getting. Cheap, established base of games, plus cutting edge matters little to me......especially since I'm not sure how much I'll like console games.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
what "game specific controllers"? I havent found a game yet I can't play with either my nunchuk/wiimotes, or a gamecube controller. dont forget, the sixaxis controllers are $50 a pop too.

If you think this is just a fad, you're missing whats going on here. Honestly, I think for the next 2 years or so, the Wii is going to continue to widen the weekly sales gap. Nintendo is giving the thing away to nursing homes. What do you think Gramma is gonna get the kiddies for christmas?

I think the Wii is going to crush the PS3 and 360 almost as badly as the PS2 crushed the Xbox and Gamecube

Not saying you can't play them with the stock controllers, but I've seen more than a few different controller sets sitting at Futureshop around here. It's a great marketing plan for game interaction like the Wii has to make controllers specific to a game where they can so long as they can keep the price of those controller manageable. Of course kids are going to want to use a sword and shield for Zelda if they can, why not cash in on that. A lot easier sell for interactive gaming than it is for couch'n'go.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

That is it, i can't handle the wiiboys anymore. I will have to start driving all bigtrucks with wii's enroute to stores, off the road. Lets see those sale numbers then. :evil laugh:
Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
Tyrith
College Starter

I just haven't seen any evidence that Nintendo is going to rally massive amounts of third party support around the Wii yet. They haven't had anything third party support in 10 years, with or without an installed user base.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #23
PJames
n00b

Just to add my two cents, I think the large installed base of PS2 gamers will lead to increased sales of the PS3 down the road. As a parent of three kids that have a PS2, I'm leaning heavily towards the PS3 due to the large game library that we have already accumulated.
PJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #24
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all if this one goes 10 years,

There is no chance this generation will last 10 years. It will most likely last 3-5 years like previous generations.

There are a few reasons for this.

1 - While game console specs are pretty much set in stone, PC hardware updates all the time and in a few years console games will look terrible compared games you can play on a fairly basic spec PC

2 - Microsoft and Sony can not risk the chance of the other company releasing a new model and being left behind with dated hardware. I heard rumors as long ago as last summer than the PS4 was planned for approx 2010.

There will never be a console generation that lasts more than a few years.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #25
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
I just haven't seen any evidence that Nintendo is going to rally massive amounts of third party support around the Wii yet. They haven't had anything third party support in 10 years, with or without an installed user base.

They also have not had a customer base like they do now since the days of the Super Nintendo.

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-19-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

We'll see. I love the Wii, but the lack of success for 3rd party titles so far is certainly a concern for any publisher looking to jump on the Wii gravy train - so far the gravy train is only operating for Nintendo.

That's not to say that 3rd party publishers won't try and that some 3rd party game is going to break through and become a huge hit, but it hasn't happened so far. A large install base doesn't mean as much when consumers haven't been buying a lot of 3rd party games.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #27
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJames View Post
As a parent of three kids that have a PS2, I'm leaning heavily towards the PS3 due to the large game library that we have already accumulated.
Why? Does your PS2 no longer work?

I guess I don't see the logic here - if you're willing to get a next-gen system, what does it matter what you already have? If you and your kids still want to play your PS2 games after you get a new system (most don't), why couldn't you just play them on the PS2 you already have? Why wouldn't you get the next-gen system that has the next-gen game library that best fits your tastes?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think you can look at the DS to see the kind of explosion that will happen when a 3rd party game really utilizes the hardware correctly (for DS, it was Meteos).
Old 07-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

also, to follow up on dawgfan's point, I would lean towards a next-gen that is compatible with a different older system than you already have. The Wii was more attractive than the PS3 in backwards compatibility to me because of all the cheap Gamecube games that are now open to me (for the cheap PS2 games, I have a PS2 already so the PS3 adds nothing). I am buying killer games I've never played for $5 and less that I can play on my Wii because of the gamecube library.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 PM   #30
PJames
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Why? Does your PS2 no longer work?

I guess I don't see the logic here - if you're willing to get a next-gen system, what does it matter what you already have? If you and your kids still want to play your PS2 games after you get a new system (most don't), why couldn't you just play them on the PS2 you already have? Why wouldn't you get the next-gen system that has the next-gen game library that best fits your tastes?

My PS2 is still working, but showing it's age. It wouldn't be a big surprise if it quit working tomorrow. The thing to me is that it's been a very good system. Since I had such good luck with it, I'm inclined to stick with the same company. Brand loyalty is something that could help PS3 sales down the line.
PJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #31
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
We'll see. I love the Wii, but the lack of success for 3rd party titles so far is certainly a concern for any publisher looking to jump on the Wii gravy train - so far the gravy train is only operating for Nintendo.

Not that it means much absent context, but 14 of the top 20 selling Wii games have been third party games.

Now, see, if the majority of the third party games weren't utter dreck, that would mean a lot more than "six million sellers from Nintendo and everything else after that."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #32
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
My PS2 is still working, but showing it's age. It wouldn't be a big surprise if it quit working tomorrow. The thing to me is that it's been a very good system. Since I had such good luck with it, I'm inclined to stick with the same company. Brand loyalty is something that could help PS3 sales down the line.

Yeah, I've had similar thoughts. My PS2 is quite old now, nearly first gen, and it's showing signs of flaking out. Doesn't really want to read PS1 discs anymore, is much, much pickier about what DVDs it likes than other DVD players. But I would still really want to play PS2 games if I got a new system (SUIKODEN 5!), and that would lean me towards a PS3. And while Playstation hardware has been generally bleh for me (my PS1 broke like two months after I got it, during the middle of FF7, made me really mad), the X-Box has had similar alarming problems.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm interested to see if there is going to be a "Madden" upswing for the ps3. Last year it was a launch title(I think), but that title a pretty good seller, especially in the first month or so. Perhaps instead of buying the ps2 version, people will finally upgrade to the new console.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

Wii may be selling lots of units, but I just don't see any games for the system that have any real staying power outside of maybe Zelda.

360 trounces both Wii and PS3 for game library quality right now, but my gut feeling tells me that PS3 will eventually close the library quality and quantity game, with the Wii left in the dust as far as library options go.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #35
14ers
High School Varsity

LOL... For the guy that is going to run the Wii truck off the road, Please open the back and pick me up one. I still can not lay my hands on a Wii anywhere.

I predict that yesterday's PS2 buyers will turn into next years Wii buyers.

Also, does the Wii offer an internet browser?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #36
TonyR
High School Varsity

While I love my PS2 (launch PS2 and still going strong), The fact that Sony is toying with consumers with a price drop/hike, etc makes me wonder if I will ever buy a PS3. I'd seriously consider it if it dropped a bit more in price, but that is probably a long while away.

Right now, it isn't feasible for me to get one since I work 50+ hours a week plus have an hour commute on top of that not to mention that currently we have gone to mandatory 6 day work weeks (60+ hrs/wk). As a work-induced casual gamer it is not worth it for me to plunk down $500+ for a system that won't get used much.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
There is no chance this generation will last 10 years. It will most likely last 3-5 years like previous generations.

There are a few reasons for this.

1 - While game console specs are pretty much set in stone, PC hardware updates all the time and in a few years console games will look terrible compared games you can play on a fairly basic spec PC

2 - Microsoft and Sony can not risk the chance of the other company releasing a new model and being left behind with dated hardware. I heard rumors as long ago as last summer than the PS4 was planned for approx 2010.

There will never be a console generation that lasts more than a few years.

If we assume your points to be true, there's absolutely no reason that the Wii should be anywhere other than 3rd behind the PS3 and 360 because processing power = sales, right?

Most of the industry people that I've chatted with believe that this generation will be around for quite awhile. The 360 and PS3 were honestly released at least 1 year before they should have been released. Processing power is a really nice feature, but you have to be able to release the technology where you can assure the quality control of that technology along with a price point that will appeal to the mass market.

Nintendo is winning right now because they didn't stretch on their product. It may not be the biggest or the best system, but it's a reliable system at a price point that the mass market can handle.

Sony and MS aren't going to be in any big hurry to jump into the next generation for quite awhile. They have to stretch out this generation at this point because the most profitable years are the later years when costs are low. Rushing out a Xbox 720 or PS4 too quickly could make the current console owners feel slighted, lead to quality control concerns, and result in another system that's overpriced for a market that is obviously very sensitive to overpriced consoles.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #38
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Not that it means much absent context, but 14 of the top 20 selling Wii games have been third party games.

Now, see, if the majority of the third party games weren't utter dreck, that would mean a lot more than "six million sellers from Nintendo and everything else after that."

Yeah the whole "omg third parties will never sell games on a nintendo console" thing is a bit overblown. Tiger Woods only got average reviews and sold pretty well here (coming out seven months after 07 on the other consoles) and even better in Europe. RE4 is a two year old game that will make the June top ten. Red Steel and Raving Rabbids are over or close to a million worldwide, Trauma Center: Second Opinion was the biggest seller Atlus has ever had in the US.

Other than RE4 these games fall into the good but not great category (except for Red Steel which got poor reviews) yet have all done well. If third parties make good games they will sell. If they quick port some licensed piece of shit then they shouldn't expect the game to sell like hotcakes.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #39
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
Also, does the Wii offer an internet browser?

Yes, a pretty good one too (considering you're browsing without a keyboard/mouse).

I picked it up when it was a free download, but now they're charging for it (something like 5 bucks, I think).
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #40
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Wii may be selling lots of units, but I just don't see any games for the system that have any real staying power outside of maybe Zelda.

Are you talking games that are currently released?

There are games on the way that will definitely have staying power, Mario and Metroid to name a couple.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #41
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

The brand loyalty factor is a BIG reason the PS3 has failed spectacularly. With their brand loyalty, it should have locked them into huge release numbers. It should have been right at the Wii level. Instead, they are sucking wind.

Here is the problem with everyone talking about a Sony comeback:

They are over 6 MILLION units behind TWO seperate consoles. That's not something you "fix" in a couple of years. The PS2 never had to worry about that. They competed with the Dreamcast (very briefly at the start) and the Xbox (toward the very end after it was to late for the Xbox to make any kind of a run). The Gamecube? It was the kids system.

Now they are in the hole 6 million units to two companies and those two companies have superior fall/Christmas lineups. They should consider themselves VERY, VERY lucky if they don't go down a ton more this holiday season.

Nintendo and MS aren't just going to stop and roll over for Sony. Their sales have been spectacular (Nintendo) and steady (MS). Even if Sony figures it out, they have a ways to go to resolve this.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Here is the problem with everyone talking about a Sony comeback:

They are over 6 MILLION units behind TWO seperate consoles. That's not something you "fix" in a couple of years.

FWIW.......Sony can (and will) sell a few million units worldwide during the weeks when Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and FF XIII Versus (especially in Asia where MMO's are extremely popular) are released. Now you can argue that Sony is going to have some problems in the short term (next year or so) and will likely just equal the 360 sales while waiting for those games to be released, but the system will have some major titles by the '08 holiday season (and likely a $399 or less price) by that point. They easily could 'fix' that difference in the next 18-24 months if they can get all their major franchises (FF XIII, MGS4, GT5) out in time for that '08 holiday season.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #43
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW.......Sony can (and will) sell a few million units worldwide during the weeks when Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and FF XIII Versus (especially in Asia where MMO's are extremely popular) are released. Now you can argue that Sony is going to have some problems in the short term (next year or so) and will likely just equal the 360 sales while waiting for those games to be released, but the system will have some major titles by the '08 holiday season (and likely a $399 or less price) by that point. They easily could 'fix' that difference in the next 18-24 months if they can get all their major franchises (FF XIII, MGS4, GT5) out in time for that '08 holiday season.

It's just not gonna happen. This gap won't be closed in 18 to 24 months. Just my opinion. . . I could be wildly off base. But I don't see any way in hell it happens.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm interested to see if there is going to be a "Madden" upswing for the ps3. Last year it was a launch title(I think), but that title a pretty good seller, especially in the first month or so. Perhaps instead of buying the ps2 version, people will finally upgrade to the new console.

I'd expect it to be more of an upswing for the 360 since the NCAA version on the PS3 runs only at 30 FPS compared to 60 on the 360, and there is a quote by an EA exec out there that it will be the same for Madden. There is also another quote out there that Madden may run at 60 FPS on the PS3, but that confusion would seem to push people towards the 360 who were going to upgrade for just that game, or those who definitely wanted the smoother version of NCAA.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #45
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
It's just not gonna happen. This gap won't be closed in 18 to 24 months. Just my opinion. . . I could be wildly off base. But I don't see any way in hell it happens.
I agree. Don't forget that MS will get a HUGE bump when Halo3 comes out (probably enough to offset or atleast minimize the FF release). They will also get a bump for Madden given they have the most next-gen units out now. Plus, you have the image issue - no one like's to bet on the losing horse and there's a chance that Halo3 + a good holiday season for Wii/XBox starts the PS3 down a path of less relevancy to 3rd parties (esp from an exclusive standpoint).

The PS3 badly needs FF out ASAP. If that slips too far behind Halo on release date, it could be a tough couple years for Sony.

Last edited by Arles : 07-20-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I agree. Don't forget that MS will get a HUGE bump when Halo3 comes out (probably enough to offset or atleast minimize the FF release).

That will be interesting to watch as well. I'm not sure that the bump for Halo will be nearly as significant as some think. I think that most of the people that are Halo fans already have a 360. We'll have to see how that all plays out.

FF is obviously going to create a major bump in all three major gaming regions. I don't think MS can do enough with Halo in North America to offset that bump, but it's certainly not going to hurt MS at all in the short run. They need some good press at this point to offset the articles that continue to come out concerning quality control in the 360.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI for those in Europe. It appears that the much-rumored price cut on the PS3 will likely happen at the Leipzig game show in late August. Food for thought if you're waiting for a price cut on the PS3.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #48
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
That will be interesting to watch as well. I'm not sure that the bump for Halo will be nearly as significant as some think. I think that most of the people that are Halo fans already have a 360. We'll have to see how that all plays out.

FF is obviously going to create a major bump in all three major gaming regions. I don't think MS can do enough with Halo in North America to offset that bump, but it's certainly not going to hurt MS at all in the short run. They need some good press at this point to offset the articles that continue to come out concerning quality control in the 360.

FYI - MS isn't trying to win the worldwide console war. They know they have no chance in hell in Japan. They are trying to win the US and Euro markets. They also didn't expect to "win" this round in either of those countries. They wanted to strip some market share away and start making some money next year or the year after to set themselves up for the next gen.

They never counted on Sony bumbling the release of the PS3 so badly to where they could win those markets. Even with Japan, MS has a very, very good chance of beating Sony this round, even in the long haul. This is more than they ever could have hoped to expect.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #49
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't get this. Halo 3 won't cause a bump because all fans already have 360s, but all the FF fans don't already have PS3s? What's the difference here that makes you say that? Why wouldn't a bunch of Halo fans have held off on buying the 360 until 3 came out?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #50
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Are you talking games that are currently released?

There are games on the way that will definitely have staying power, Mario and Metroid to name a couple.

Currently released, yes. Mario and Metroid will indeed have staying power for most gamers, I agree.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote