Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

OT: Star Wars Episode III

Only 6 hours away before the pemieres here in the Philippines.

Can't wait.

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

can someone post spoilers?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Anthony
Banned

***SPOILER***

The Jedi will be defeated and Anakin will turn into Darth Vader. years later a young Jedi will choose the Force instead of the Dark Side and will fight Vader, who is...

DUN DUN DUNNNNN....that Jedi's father.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Well, OK, but don't tell anyone...

Anakin goes bad and becomes Darth Vader.

I posted that in invisible type, right?

EDIT: Damn, beaten by HA! I accept my failure humbly.

Last edited by JasonC23 : 05-18-2005 at 10:48 AM.
JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Spoiler

Highlight to read:

Anakin kills Padme
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

You want to put some space between that spoiler and the pay-off?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Anthony
Banned

edit: took down some semi-spoiler stuff

Last edited by Anthony : 05-18-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

Everyone? I'd say most don't. I'm guilty of a clicking the thread though, so serves me right.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler.......

Quote:
The movie opens with a breathtaking space battle over the planet Coruscant. Chancellor Palpatine has been captured by the droid general, General Grievous. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi successfully break through the Separatist defenses and crash land in the hanger bay of the starship holding the Chancellor.

R2-D2 stays behind with the ships while Anakin and Obi-Wan go to locate the Chancellor. RD-D2 has to defend himself against some super battledroids as he aids Anakin and Obi-Wan in remotely operating doors and elevators. R2-D2 splashes oil on the battledroids and then ignites his booster rockets causing them to erupt into flames. Anakin and Obi-Wan eventually make it to the room where the Chancellor is being held and are confronted by Count Dooku. This time they agree to fight Dooku together and a three-way lightsaber battle ensues. Dooku uses his dark-side powers to throw Obi-Wan against a wall knocking him out. At the Chancellor’s urging, Anakin channels his anger into putting Dooku on the defensive and slices off Dooku’s hands. As Anakin holds 2 lightsabers to Dooku’s throat the Chancellor urges Anakin to behead Dooku, which Anakin does.

Although the Chancellor now wants to escape the ship leaving Obi-Wan behind, Anakin insists on carrying his mentor/friend. As the 3 make their escape they are captured in a ray shield and brought before General Grievous on the bridge of the ship. R2-D2 causes a distraction enabling Obi-Wan to use the force to retrieve his lightsaber freeing himself and Anakin. General Grievous flees the bridge and retreats in an escape pod. Kenobi and Anakin then dispatch some of Grievous’ henchmen and are left on a ship falling out of orbit and breaking in half. Anakin (the greatest star pilot in the galaxy) is able to successfully land the damaged ship on Coruscant.

Anakin is honored as a hero of the Clone Wars for saving the Chancellor from the clutches of the Separatist leader. At this time, Padme, who is lurking in the background, pulls Anakin aside to greet her secret husband after apparently many months of being away at battle. She informs him that she is pregnant, and Anakin says that he is very happy and they will deal with any issues and ramifications as they come.

We now have several scenes where the Jedi begin to show their distrust of Chancellor Palpatine because he has been reluctant to step down after his term is up, citing the need for continuing leadership for the Republic throughout the Clone Wars. Palpatine is able to use his political leverage to get Anakin appointed to the Jedi council, and the council reluctantly allows this but they do not grant Anakin the title of Master. The council asks Anakin to spy on the Chancellor’s doings although Anakin believes this to be treason against the Republic.

Anakin begins to have nightmares about Padme dying in childbirth, and he consults with master Yoda without going into specifics. Yoda advises him to not become too attached to anyone or anything that would cause him such distress if he were to lose them. Anakin vows to Padme that he will find a way to keep his nightmares from coming true, that he will stop Padme from dying. He could not do this for his mother, but he will do everything in his power to protect Padme.

Yoda, along with Clone troop support, is sent to the Wookie home planet of Kashyyyk to help defend against the robot armies of the Separatists. Yoda meets Chewbacca and other Wookie leaders.

Anakin attends a sort of “space ballet” performance with Palpatine in his private box seats. Palpatine seems to know that Anakin is troubled about Padme dying. He tells Anakin a story as a father would tell a son about a Sith Lord that was able to manipulate the force into causing life through midichlorians and was also able to stop people from dying. He taught these powers to an apprentice and the apprentice killed the Sith Lord in his sleep. Anakin is very intrigued by these powers and asked if it was possible to learn these powers. Palpatine replies, “Not from a Jedi.” Palpatine explains that the Sith also want peace in the galaxy, but they look to achieve it in a different manner than the Jedi. Palpatine asks Anakin if he has been told to spy by the council which Anakin admits to. Palpatine tells Anakin that he believes that the Jedi intend to kill him (Palpatine) to remove him from office. Finally, Palpatine reveals the location of General Grievous to Anakin to pass along to the Jedi. Killing Grievous may end the war.

Anakin informs the Jedi that General Grievous has been located on the sinkhole planet of Utapu. Although Anakin wants to take Grievous himself as he feels that he is more skilled than Obi-wan (having saved Obi-Wan from near death several times) the council determines that Obi-Wan will travel to Utapu along with clone troopers in order to defeat the droid general.

Later, Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he is the Sith Lord that killed his master. Anakin immediately draws his lightsaber towards Palpatine. Palpatine reminds Anakin that he has the knowledge to stop Padme from dying. Anakin decides to give this information to Jedi Master Mace Windu to decide the fate of the Chancellor.

In the meantime Obi-Wan has tracked Grievous to Utapu. Grievous has been meeting with all of the separatist leaders who are concerned about the death of Dooku.

Palpatine/Lord Sidious (we know for sure know that they are one in the same) assures the leaders that Dooku’s death was necessary in the big scheme and they will be safe on the lava planet of Mustafar. After the separatist leaders depart, Obi-Wan confronts Grievous and several henchmen and battledroids. Battles erupt everywhere on the planet between clone troopers and battledroids. Obi-Wan and Grievous have a lightsaber battle and Grievous is able to wield 4 lightsabers at a time. As Obi-Wan is able to successfully disarm Grievous he escapes on a motorized wheel. Obi-Wan pursues on a lizard-like creature jumping from level to level throughout the sinkhole environment. Eventually Obi-Wan catches Grievous and physically pries apart the protective metal covering Grievous’ internal organs. Obi-Wan then destroys Grievous with a blast from a laser gun exclaiming, “How uncivilized!”

As Anakin has told Master Windu about the Sith Lord running the Republic, he is told to wait in the Jedi chambers as he is too close to Palpatine to go on the arrest. Mace Windu is accompanied by 3 Jedi Masters to arrest the Chancellor. This is all falling into Palpatine’s plan as it seems that the Jedi are now attempting to overthrow the government. Palpatine confronts the Jedi with a red lightsaber and quickly dispatches 3 of them leaving only himself and Mace Windu to battle. Anakin, in fear that Palpatine may be killed and the knowledge of stopping death would be gone along with him, hurries to the Chancellor’s office to see this mighty battle in person. A window 20 stories up is shattered and although Mace Windu has the upper hand, Palpatine is shooting Sith lightening at Mace Windu and both are on the edge of exhaustion. Palpatine pleads with Anakin to help him, that the Jedi have come to kill him as he has thought. Mace Windu asks that Anakin help him to strike down this Sith Lord. Anakin wants Palpatine brought in on charges against the Republic, but Mace insists they take care of him now. Anakin cuts off Mace Windu’s hand which holds his lightsaber and Palpatine’s lightening knocks Mace out of the window to his death. Palpatine’s face has been disfigured by this confrontation (by the redirection of the lightening back on himself) and he now looks like the Emperor that we saw in Return of the Jedi. Anakin kneels before his new master and Palpatine anoints him Darth Vader. He warns Anakin/Vader that the Jedi will now begin to hunt them and they must rid the galaxy of all Jedi. Anakin/Vader is to go to the Jedi temple and destroy all Jedi- including the children. At the same time Palpatine announces via hologram to clone troops throughout the galaxy to enact Order 66. This order causes all clone troops to turn against the Jedi.

Apparently it was Palpatine who ordered the clone army and they have been programmed to turn against the Jedi at his command. We see a montage of shots on several planets where Clones turn against the Jedi killing them all. Obi-Wan and Yoda manage to escape. Yoda senses that something is not right and just as he is about to be shot from behind, he does a back flip and slices off the heads of the clone assassins. Yoda is then protected by Chewbacca and the Wookie general and leaves the planet on an escape pod.

Anakin is now marching on the Jedi temple with a legion of clone troopers. He finds a group of young Jedi in the temple who ask Anakin what they should do, there are too many of them (clone troops). Anakin’s only response is to ignite is lightsaber, implying that he destroys all of the children in the temple. Bail Organa drives a speeder to the temple as he sees smoke billow from it in the distance. He is turned away by clone troopers and sees them gun down a young Jedi. Bail manages to escape and pilots the Tantive IV (Princess Leia’s ship from the first Star Wars) to try to find any Jedi that are still alive. He picks up Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Anakin is told by Palpatine/Sidious to go to the lava planet of Mustafar and kill the remaining leaders of the Separatists.

Anakin briefly meets with Padme and tells her that he is going to Mustafar to destroy the remaining separatist leaders- the war will then be over and they can live together in peace.

Palpatine/Sidious goes before the Galactic Senate and tells of his “assassination” attempt by the Jedi which has left him disfigured. He declares all Jedi to be enemies of the Republic and announces that to keep peace and stability that he is creating the Galactic Empire and that he will be the Emperor. This is met with applause from the Senate. Padme remarks, “So this is how democracy ends, with thunderous applause.”

Yoda and Obi-Wan manage to find surveillance tapes of Anakin destroying the Jedi in the temple. Obi-Wan cannot believe what he is seeing. They know they must stop Palpatine and Anakin. Obi-Wan asks to face Palpatine because Anakin is too much of a brother to him. Yoda states that the Emperor is too strong for Obi-Wan to face, he must face the Emperor and Obi-Wan is to search his feelings and find Anakin.

Obi-Wan goes to Padme’s apartment to tell her of the atrocities that Anakin has committed. She does not believe him, but he assures her that this is true. Obi-Wan reveals that he must kill Anakin. Although her pregnancy is concealed by her dress, Obi-Wan asks Padme if Anakin is the father. When she replies, yes, Obi-Wan states the he is truly sorry. Padme does not reveal where Anakin has gone, however.

Anakin/Vader arrives on the lava/volcano planet of Mustafar and kills all of the remaining separatist leaders.

Padme sets out to go to Anakin before Obi-Wan can reach him; however, Obi-Wan sneaks aboard her craft, and she inadvertently brings him along.

As Padme lands on Mustafar she is greeted by a happy Anakin who proclaims that he has brought an end to the war. Padme tells Anakin that she knows he has killed many Jedi. Anakin claims that Obi-Wan is lying and trying to turn her against him. Obi-Wan appears at the top of the exit ramp and Anakin goes into a rage. He is angered that Padme brought Obi-Wan to him and before she can explain that she knew nothing of this he force-chokes her to the ground.

Anakin and Obi-Wan then begin to square off in a fast-paced lightsaber battle. Intercut with this is Yoda’s confrontation with Sidious. Sidious knocks Yoda back with a lightening attack and then they both ignite their lightsabers. The battle begins in Palpatine’s chambers and then moves to the large Senate Hall. Both Yoda and Sidious throw the large Senate pods at each other. Yoda is eventually knocked several hundred feet to the Senate floor and manages to escape via a utility tunnel.

He is rescued by Bail Organa and Yoda exclaims that he has failed and must go into hiding until the time is right.

Anakin and Obi-Wan continue their duel throughout many locations on Mustafar. At one point they are fighting on floating platforms on a river of lava and Obi-Wan manages to jump to the bank. Anakin is going to attempt a much larger jump and Obi-Wan warns him that it is too far. Anakin exclaims that Obi-Wan has always underestimated him. As Anakin flips towards the bank, Obi-Wan slices off both of his legs at the knee and his left arm. Rather than show any fear, Anakin is still in a rage. The lava ignites Anakin clothes and he is burned throughout what is left of his body. Obi-Wan then goes to help Padme and he rendezvous with Bail and Yoda on the Tantive IV. They take Padme to a medical facility.

Palpatine, sensing that Anakin was in trouble, has come to Mustafar and finds him on the lava river bank barely alive. Anakin is transported back to Coruscant where he will be given the black armor of Darth Vader to sustain his life. The “building” of Vader is intercut with scenes of Padme delivering the twins Luke and Leia. Padme dies shortly after she names the children and her last words to Obi-Wan state that she believes there is still good in Anakin. The famous black helmet is lowered onto Anakin and we hear Vader’s breathing apparatus kick in for the first time. Vader’s first words to Palpatine are concern for Padme. Palpatine informs Vader that he killed her in his rage. Vader loses control and destroys everything in the room.

Yoda and Obi-Wan make plans to disappear until the time is right. Bails offers to take the girl, Leia, to his home planet of Alderaan. He and his wife have always wanted to adopt a girl. Luke is to be taken to his family on Tatooine. Yoda tells Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon has learned to become one with the force in spirit form and will train Obi-Wan to do the same.

Bail Organa orders C-3PO's memory to be erased (to keep the hiding of the twins a secret).

Vader, the Emperor, and a young General Tarkin look out from the bridge of a Star Destroyer at the Death Star’s initial construction.

Leia is brought to Alderaan, and Obi-Wan delivers baby Luke to his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru on Tatooine. They look out at the twin suns setting……..

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
that's not a spoiler. everyone knows that.
It might be nice of you not to reveal that, as im sure there are some that don't know.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-18-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #11
Anthony
Banned

if people didn't know that then they probably arent that big a Star Wars fan, so knowing isn't the end of the world. this is common Star Wars knowledge, no one would confuse me with being a Star Wars geek. i'll take down the post though, just ot be safe. sorry.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

so who else is going to geek out and go to the midnight showing?

I'm using the excuse of "I have to see it before our four year old does, so I can know if it's appropriate for him."
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #13
Anthony
Banned

ok, i just consulted my SW geek friend and found out it's not 100% definite how Padme died. it's generally assumed. i won't say how its assumed she died in case you don't want to be spoiled, although if it isn't definite she died that way then it's not really a spoiler.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #14
Pyser
Pro Rookie

her death is open to interpretation, but the movies explanation is...a bit laughable.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
sportsfan13
H.S. Freshman Team

Alright, me and the nerd boyfriend, CleBrownsfan are going tonite at midnight. It was a last minute decision. Hope it's worth the day I'll have tomorrow at work!!!!
sportsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm not going at midnight, but I will be going at 1:15 PM tomorrow (bought tickets on Fandango).
Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
Anthony
Banned

going tomorrow too.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #18
timmynausea
College Starter

I am also going at midnight.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #19
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Since you're all here, have a little fun with it!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm down with the 12:01 screening. At last count, there were 29 advanced sold-out screenings at midnight in Kansas City. One theater is also offerings screenings all night, so you can catch it again if you want.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

SPOILER ALERT!

Here's a review from EW:

EW review: 'Sith' delivers not

Lucas' storytelling fails Anakin's embrace of the Dark Side

By Owen Gleiberman
Entertainment Weekly

(Entertainment Weekly) -- Having spent two scattershot blockbusters whetting our appetite for the fall of Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), George Lucas makes it easy to experience "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" as a rush of deliverance -- even if the movie itself doesn't fully deliver.

From the opening space-combat sequence, in which Anakin and his mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), dodge an onslaught of fireballs and enemy craft so dense that the two might be threading their fighters through needles, you can feel Lucas' boyish engagement in the galactic universe he's created.

The Jedi Knights are on a mission to rescue Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid), who has been kidnapped, and already there are hints of the conflict to come. As the two are attacked by spidery buzz droids, Anakin tries to shoot them off of Obi-Wan's ship, an act of headstrong aggression that makes you think, ''With friends like this ...''

Unlike "The Phantom Menace" or "Attack of the Clones," "Revenge of the Sith" unfolds with a fury of consequence. There are rousing lightsaber duels, like the one in which the skull-faced General Grievous wields four sabers at once.

Yoda, with his twinkly scowl of purpose, has become such a crowd-pleasing action figure that when he coughs up solemn syntactical howlers like ''A prophecy that misread could have been'' -- well, forgive him almost you can.

The madly detailed cityscapes raise eye candy to a dimension of comic-book awe, though I confess I miss the nearly tactile thrills generated by the original "Star Wars" films. Lucas' digital imagery allows for whizzy, swirling layers of technological hyperactivity, yet its lacquered gleam is just artificial enough that when a panoramic window gets smashed during a battle in the Jedi chamber, my reaction was to think, ''Gee, how will they find replacement glass that big?''

Petulant and morose, with a slightly slurry delivery, Christensen plays Anakin as if locked in a private adolescent snit fit. As political infighting rages between the forces of the Empire and the Jedi (who are portrayed -- in a pointed parallel with our own wartime climate -- as under-siege liberals fighting ostracism), Anakin is torn between two father figures: the honorable Obi-Wan and the ambiguous Palpatine, played by McDiarmid with the jaunty menace of a corporate seducer.

Of course, this is really the story of how Anakin outgrows his need for masters altogether, becoming a ''dark father'' himself. Darth Vader, with his fascist armor and his morbid cosmic boom of a voice, was always an image of malevolent manhood, even if he is the emperor's lackey. Since Christensen has never come close to that level of gravitas, we're eager to see how Anakin the testy apprentice, the surly, conflicted boy, will emerge, corrupted, from the shell of his innocence.

He does and he doesn't. Anakin's journey to the Dark Side is sparked by half a dozen different motivations, none of them entirely convincing. He has a nightmare that his pregnant bride, Padmé (Natalie Portman), is going to die in childbirth, and Palpatine exploits this premonition by promising Anakin that the Dark Side will give him power over life and death. But since the ''Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo!'' love scenes are embarrassments of cheesy acting and cheesier dialogue, they have the unfortunate effect of hinging Anakin's descent on the worst moments in the entire series.

Anakin's instincts may be noble, but when he's chosen to be a member of the Jedi Council and yet denied the title of Master, the omission inflames his rage, a development that rings jarringly false. Anakin's appointment is an unexpected honor for a young Jedi: Why would he suddenly be up in arms about not receiving the ultimate rank as well? In case that conflict doesn't do it for you, he's also been asked to spy on Palpatine, which softens him up to believe the lie that the Jedi are hatching a conspiracy.

All of this is so talky and abstract, however, that Anakin's gathering storm seems hokey from the start, a function of the fact that it's simply time for him to begin getting mad. The trouble with "Revenge of the Sith" is that we're never really shown what we're told about endlessly: Anakin succumbing to the temptations of power.

He sulks a lot, with a bead of resentment in his eye, but his actions never take that crucial turn toward the destructive narcissism of Darth Vader. The audience has to work to make sense of his journey, but what we're really doing is putting together the script that George Lucas didn't, quite.

Beneath Anakin's slipshod motives, one senses a failure of will on Lucas' part. The "Star Wars" series divided the world into Good and Evil in a way that Hollywood, by the 1970s, had forgotten. But Lucas, in his by-now reflexive populism, wants to turn Anakin into Darth Vader without risking any loss of sympathy for him.

The one figure in "Revenge of the Sith" who taps the true spirit of "Star Wars" is Ewan McGregor: With his beautiful, light, clipped delivery, he plays Alec Guinness' playfulness, making Obi-Wan a marvel of benevolent moxie.

It's certainly fun to see Darth Vader's black armor snap into place (though couldn't they have waited until Anakin's burned skin stopped smoking?), but by the end of "Revenge of the Sith," it would be a mistake to confuse Lucas' tidy game of connect-the-episodes with the elemental pleasure of the series at its best: pop storytelling done effortlessly, ushering the audience into the darkness and the light.

EW Grade:B-
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #22
Suicane75
Coordinator

Kevin Smith Disagrees With The Above Spoiler, Here Is His Review.

***SPOILER ALERT***

- "Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, fucking awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying. As dark as "Empire" was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of Order 66 (which has all the Shock Troopers turning on the Jedi Knights they've been fighting beside throughout the Clone Wars and gunning them down), to the jaw-dropping Anakin/Obi Wan fight on Mustafar (where - after cutting his legs and arm off, Ben leaves Skywalker burning alive on the shores of a lava river, with Anakin spitting venomous sentiments at his departing mentor), this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching "Othello" or "Hamlet".

I saw a gorgeous digitally projected version of the flick, and lemme tell ya': this is a beautiful looking film. The opening space battle sequence is the best in any of the six "Star Wars" movies. Grievous and Kenobi's lightsaber duel is bad-ass, with Grievous rocking four sabers. The Clone Wars end rather early in the flick (about the halfway point), leaving the rest of the film to concentrate on Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and the resulting slaughter of the Jedi.

Perfect example of how dark shit gets: remember the Younglings - the kid Jedis in training from "Clones"? As a result of Order 66, when Anakin invades the Jedi Temple with an army of Clone Troopers, he enters the Council room to find a gaggle of said younglings hiding behind the seats. They see Anakin and emerge, asking "What should we do, Master Anakin?" The query's met with a stone-cold Anakin firing up his lightsaber. The next time you see the kids, Yoda's sifting through their corpses on the floor.

Yes, it's just that dark - and rightfully so. This is the birth of Darth Vader we're talking about. The only comic moments in the flick are given to R2D2, and while good, they're all pretty few and far between; the order of the day is dark, dark, dark.

Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor steal the show, but Hayden Christensen silences any naysayers who wrote him off as too whiney in "Clones". This is the flick that feels closest to Episodes 4, 5, and 6, because - for the first time since "Return of the Jedi" - there is a clear villain. And for all the shadow-play Palpatine has been upto in the last two flicks, his treachery is about as subtle as John Williams' score in "Sith." Whether he's slowly drawing Anakin toward the Dark Side during an opera/performance art piece with his promise of the Sith's power of life over death, or he's engaged in a balls-to-the-wall lightsaber duel in the Senate with Yoda, his "Little, green friend" (his words, not mine - which I kinda dug, because, interestingly, I think it's the first time anyone's acknowledged that Yoda is green in any of the "Star Wars" flicks), this is the Emperor's movie.

The last fifteen minutes dovetail nicely into Episode 4 (or just plain "Star Wars" for you non-geeks), and the movie is full of link-up moments as well.

- At flick's end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol's memory be wiped).

- The twins, natch, are split up. Leia heads to Alderann with Bail Organa, and Obi Wan hands Luke over to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (indeed, the closing shot is Owen holding Luke while looking out over the setting suns of Tatooine - mimicking the shot of the adult Luke doing the same in "Star Wars", complete with callback cue from Williams).

- After he succumbs to the Dark Side, Anakin tries to convine Padme that he can overthrow Palpatine, and together, he and Padme can rule the galaxy as husband and wife.

- Vader and the Emperor stand beside a younger Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge of a Star Destroyer, overlooking the earliest construction stage of the Death Star.

- Yoda telling Obi Wan that, as he heads to Tatooine to hand over Luke and go into exile, that he should spend his time learning to commune with those who've crossed over to the next stage of life, as Yoda maintains he's been doing with Qui Gon (and Ben will later do with both Luke and Yoda, in "Empire" and "Jedi").

- And, hands-down, the best link-up to "Star Wars" moment that I enjoyed the most: Bail Organa and Yoda stepping into the hallway of the Rebel Blockade Runner that opened "Star Wars". Unlike all the high-tech CGI wizardry of the rest of the prequel Trilogy, this is a low-tech looking set, right out of circa '77, and for some reason, it really captured my imagination. I mean, this is the same exact hallway in which we got our first look at Vader, oh so many years ago, and I appreciated the hell out of Mr. Lucas including it - because it really felt like a nod to the hardcores.

Look, this is a movie I was genetically predisposed to love. I remember being eight years old, and reading in "Starlog" that Darth Vader became the half-man/half-machine he was following a duel with Ben Kenobi that climaxed with Vader falling into molten lava. Now, twenty six years later, I finally got to see that long-promised battled - and it lived up to any expectation I still held. I was sad to see the flick end, but happy to know it's not the end of the "Star Wars" universe entirely (I've read stuff about a TV show...).

"Sith" doesn't happen; "Sith" rules.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #23
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

okay, so if there are 18-20 years between RotS and ANH, and 8 years between ANH and RotJ, how the heck did they build the 2nd Death Star so quickly?

Just askin'.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
okay, so if there are 18-20 years between RotS and ANH, and 8 years between ANH and RotJ, how the heck did they build the 2nd Death Star so quickly?

Just askin'.

2 stars at the same time, man
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #25
timmynausea
College Starter

The second death star wasn't quite complete, anyway, was it?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #26
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'll be there tonight at midnight. Saw the last two at midnight as well so might as well stick with tradition.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #27
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Just askin'.

By the time of "A New Hope," the Empire has resources far exceeding those of "Sith."

Hey, maybe the new Death Star was just a salvage job of the old one... I dunno...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #28
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
The second death star wasn't quite complete, anyway, was it?

i thought it was done, and its look was just a trap.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #29
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Just askin'.

Improved efficiency. They already knew how to build one.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #30
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Just askin'.
They brought in independant contractors to help build the second one.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #31
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk

Any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But their life insurance premiums must have been through the roof... what with the first one blowing up and all.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 PM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Judging by the Big Dig, that would have doubled the build time, not halved it.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #34
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
Fully armed an operational, but not complete.

Geek Alert!: The expanded universe muddles the origins of the Death Star even more. Before AOTC, it was believed that the Empire's secret military development facility at the Maw Installation hidden inside a series of black holes was the origin of the Death Star. Obviously AOTC reveals that there was linkage between the Separatists and the Death Star some 20 years before A New Hope. Why it took 17-odd years to build the first Death Star is a mystery.

Given that, I think the construction of the second death star still makes sense. I believe the Expanded Universe "literature" suggests that it may have been under development in conjunction with the original. Plus, as noted above, it had been done before, and it seems that there was some sense of urgency to build the second.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #35
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Yeah. The Empire probably offered incentives if the subs completed ahead of schedule. Also, at some point in the construction, didn't Darth vader come in and act as the general contractor or site manager or something? He would be good at that:

Sub: "Hey Darth, I am gonna need a written change order before I am going to install these counter-sink flanges because they cost more than the flanges I was going to use under the original bid"

DV: "How about if you install them even though you don't have the written change orders. or, i could write up the change orders right here on the end of my light saber and plunge it into your chest. Either way..."

Sub: " I'll tell you what, my guys will go ahead and install the flanges, and you can just send me the change orders whenever you have the chance to do them."

DV "hey, thats great, i appreciate you working with me here. We really want to get this thing operational"
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #36
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser

If it was done, they would have been able to defend themselves. As it was, they had a shield generated by a base on the planet and once that was down, all of the ships were able to simply fly right into it. Not a very good defense.

Besides, it's always faster and easier to build something after you already built one before it. I'm sure they ran into a butt load of problems during the construction of the first one. They would have learned from that and built the second one at a much faster pace.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, and they figured out how to deal with strikes more efficiently .
Old 05-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #38
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Yeah. The Empire probably offered incentives if the subs completed ahead of schedule. Also, at some point in the construction, didn't Darth vader come in and act as the general contractor or site manager or something? He would be good at that:

Sub: "Hey Darth, I am gonna need a written change order before I am going to install these counter-sink flanges because they cost more than the flanges I was going to use under the original bid"

DV: "How about if you install them even though you don't have the written change orders. or, i could write up the change orders right here on the end of my light saber and plunge it into your chest. Either way..."

Sub: " I'll tell you what, my guys will go ahead and install the flanges, and you can just send me the change orders whenever you have the chance to do them."

DV "hey, thats great, i appreciate you working with me here. We really want to get this thing operational"

Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #39
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

<-- heading out in a few to go see the midnight show
Old 05-18-2005, 07:20 PM   #40
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
<-- heading out in a few to go see the midnight show

It's only 8:15 Eastern... guess you're expecting a line...

If you see any chicks dressed up as Stormtroopers, take pix...
Old 05-18-2005, 07:29 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
It's only 8:15 Eastern... guess you're expecting a line...

If you see any chicks dressed up as Stormtroopers, take pix...
I'm going tonight. My friend says that the line starts forming at 10:30

The things I do to appease the geek in me. Stand in line, a long one, for a friggen movie. Myself better give myself some good sex tonight!

EDIT: And the digital camera is coming with me for pics. Of crazies in line, not of crazy freaky selfsex

Last edited by sabotai : 05-18-2005 at 07:30 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #42
Rizon
Pro Starter

I went last night because my ticket said May 18, 12:01 AM. It was strange cause the theater was closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #43
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Well. Just saw the advanced screening of Star Wars here in the Philippines last night, about 12 hours before the actual showing... my thoughts?

It didn't blow me away, but it did do what it should do... complete the circle.

Was I disappointed? Maybe, because I expected more out of Lucas' final foray into Star Wars.

The movie jumps right in where the Star Wars Clone Wars Cartoon Mini-series left off. So it's a big plus if you followed the cartoon well.

Lightsaber battle count: 5

Dooku vs. Obi Wan/Anakin
Obi Wan vs. Grievous
Palpatine vs. Mace Windu
Palpatine vs. Yoda
Obi Wan vs. Anakin

I'm sure we'll all have different reactions to the film.

Definitely darker, highlighted by the Jedi slaughter perpetrated by Darth Vader. Unfortunately, I think the movie could've been stretched into two movies. As it is, Anakin's eventual fall to the dark side seems rushed... bah.

Thumbs in the middle, slightly being puled up because it's the last Star Wars flick we'll see from George.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 PM   #44
Joe
Pro Starter

couldnt they do more? like a star wars episode 3.5 or 7?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #45
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Spoiler.......

Am I the only who understood very little of that..except perhaps the ending?

That's what I get for not seeing (or caring) anything about the previous two episodes. Maybe I'll catch this on DVD if I can figure out who's what.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 PM   #46
Joe
Pro Starter

is James Earl Jones used as Vader in this movie?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #47
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

So, will the emperor threaten to use the Nuclear Option to silence debate against his judicial nominees, who are leading towards the sith?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #48
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
is James Earl Jones used as Vader in this movie?

Yes.

And Vader does a resounding and yet absolutely corny "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream towards the end.

Silly really.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 PM   #49
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Just got back from seeing a 6PM advance screening in New York, then drinking with friends and analyzing it to death.

I was once again disappointed. I'll go into much greater detail in the coming days.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #50
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
Yes.

And Vader does a resounding and yet absolutely corny "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream towards the end.

Silly really.

***spoilers stuff******

Yeah.. That whole Frankenstein vibe of the last scene (breaking out of the shackles) combined with that corny scream had me nearly crying because it was so lame. Also, the earlier lava surfing was annoying as shit. There was a lot to dislike about this movie, just like the preceding two.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote