Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

OOTP Preview Thread (*17-YEAR-LEAGUE UPLOADED 4/16/2K4*)

First off, it is immediately obvious to me that this is a *very* big, infinitely customizable game, and therefore trying to pull off a comprehensive preview is a very big task to undertake, especially considering that Markus has publicly said something to the effect that the game "will not be out before Friday." With that information, I have to operate on the assumption that I need to finish the preview by tomorrow night at the very latest. In case I don't get to some things before the release, I thought it best to do this in chunks. When all the chunks are posted, I'll combine them all into this first post.

First off, there are MANY, MANY setup options. Therefore, in the amount of time I'm working with, it is going to be impossible for me to even attempt to change around all the different settings and test things out that way. However, by letting you know what settings I'm using, you can get a feel for what the options are. For now, all discussion in this thread will be based on the followed starting setttings:

FINANCIAL SETTINGS

Financial System: Enabled

Salary Cap: None

Cash Max: $10M

National TV Contract Minimum: $5M

Only use National TV Minimum?: No, adjust to market

Minimum Player Salary: $300,000

Computer Trade: Enabled

Trading Frequency: Normal (5 options)

Trading Difficultly: Normal (5 options)

Trading AI Preference: Neutral (5 options)

Standard Roster Limit: 25 players

40-Man Roster Rule: Enabled

Waiver Rule: Enabled

Waiver Period: 3 Days

Minor League Option Years: Enabled

Rule 5 Draft: Enabled

Arbitration: Enabled

Minimum Days for 1 Service Year: 172

Minor League FA's: Enabled

ENGINE SET UP

Internal Game Engine: New OOTP6 engine

League Totals: (All Default--Modern Baseball Era)

Player Evaluation AI Setup: Ratings: 40%, 2004: 35%, 2003: 17%, 2002: 8% (default)

Player Creation Modifiers (all 0%): All batter and pitcher ratings can be modified from -100% to +200%

Player Development Modifiers: all 0%--options are there to change hitter or pitcher player development and/or aging speed from -100% to +200%

BASIC SET UP

League Mode: Career

Coach/Scout System: Disabled

Simulate Minors: Enabled

All Ratings Options set 1-100. They can be none, 1 to 5, 2 to 8, 1 to 10, 1 to 20, and 1 to 100.

Normal 2004 MLB-Style League/Division Structure

Fictional Players

162 Games

Blank Record Book

I may or may not answer questions as we go along. I don't want to get too bogged down in minute details, but feel free to post them. I'll be checking in and reading responses in this thread the rest of this afternoon/evening.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-16-2004 at 12:17 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Ben E Lou

Dola--

Know that it will probably be a couple of hours or so before I post anything else. I don't want to merely give you first impressions, but good analysis.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I'm glad you like to simulate multiple seasons quickly. I think what I'm most interested in is what type of stats the new engine produces. Anyway, good read so far.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Oh, yes! Lets go OOTP6!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

Just tooling around a bit, I have a feeling that the best way to go about this is going to be a diary/dynasty style of posting. (Hey, I'm making this up as I go along, ok?) So, here goes....

THE BEGINNING

I start off with a 60-round serpentine auto-draft, and select the auto-fill minors option as well. The first noticeable change is that after the draft is over, I am asked if I'd like to adjust all teams financials based on payrolls, and the game tells me that this is recommended. This is definitely a nice feature if it works properly! I select Atlanta as my team, and immediately go to the "Front Office" screen to see what's up with the adjusted financials. My initial payroll is $55.74M, which is 29th out of 30 teams. My market is listed as "slightly above average" with "good" fan loyalty. Ticket prices are at $10. Broadcast revenue is at $39M (22 local, 17 national). I go to the League News section to see everyone's financials, and here are a few snapshots:

• Everyone has 65 fan interest.
  • Broadcast revenues range from low of $39M to high of $47M, and it appears to be based on the initial payrolls.
  • For comparison, Milwaukee has the third-highest payroll ($73.1M). Their team market is "big" and loyalty is "good."
Based on the facts above, it appears that after an auto-draft, the game gives you an option to adjust the size of your team market, and therefore your local TV deal, based on your initial payroll. This sounds like a nice little added challenge for we those who play in fictional leagues: just select the team that has the lowest payroll as your team, and you'll automatically have the smallest market. Nice!

SIZING UP THE ROSTER

When doing this, I must report that one of my pet peeve interface annoyances about OOTP remains at this point. When I go to look at my second basemen, I'd like to see *everyone* who is a candidate to play second base. If I select by position and view the batting ratings (the only way to evaluate several players at one time), the game only shows me guys who have 2B as their primary position. The other option is to go to "general ratings/info" and sort by 2nd base, which reveals to me that SS Alfonso Espinosa has 77 range at 2B than at SS, and might be a viable option there. However, I have to click on his player card to see the rest of his ratings. There is one saving grace here, though: the star rating is available on the "General Ratings/Info" screen. At least that can quickly give me a general idea of what kind of talent I have available at a given position. Here are my best current options at each position:

NAME

Cont.

HR

Eye

Spd

Stl

Rng

Arm

C Bill Pilon

1B Steven Gebhart

2B Ken Moore

3B Eli Rowland

SS George Crosland

LF Clinton Weems

CF Richard Ebling

RF Dexter Foti

NAME

STUFF

CNTRL

MVMN

END

Terrance Takehide

Carlos Carrasco

James Brady

James "Big Stud" Urrutia

Bill Ponce

Gregg Rogge

Neille Hamrick

Humberto Rodriguez

Jeffry Kageyasu

Denver Nixon

Matt Yuhas

John Jones

Ernest Rivet

David Gibson

George Dillard

Juan Romriell

Kenneth Fisher

The biggest and most welcomed change from previous versions is that pitchers have ONE endurance rating, rather than one as a starter and one as a closer. Makes very good sense to me. Other ratings that are not listed in the spread sheet above are as follows:

POSITION PLAYERS

running instincts

sacrifice bunt

gap power (not shown on "general info" on player card...this appears to be an odd choice to me, unless it doesn't play as big a part as the other three)

bunt for hit

Every player has three throwing-arm ratings: catcher, IF and OF.

hitter type (spray, normal, pull)

Interestingly enough, the "Gap Power" rating is not shown on the main (General Info) player card, only on the player ratings screen and the HTML report. This is an odd choice to me, unless it is because this rating doesn't play as big a part as Con/Hr/Eye.

PITCHERS

velocity (this i given as a range, as in "88-92 mph")

holding runners

groundball %

All of the service time oriented information is available in two places: on the HTML player card, and via one click from the General Info player card screen. The info given:

years of MLB service

MLB service days this year

years on 40-man roster

years of pro service

rule 5 draft eligibility

arbitration eligibility

minor league option years left

on waivers?

One thing that has been mentioned is that the "Talent" ratings are now numerical, and it may be an adjustment for some. At least for me, this is a VERY welcome change, and a very fast adjustment. It is much easier to look over the "Top 10 Prospects" type reports now.

I think this is a good stopping point for now. I'm going to quick-sim the first season, letting the AI handle everything.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-14-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
rjolley
College Starter

I agree with the sorting of players by positions they can play, not just their primary. I hope Markus can add that in a patch. It would be a great if it was added for FAs too.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

cool, looks good so far SkyDog
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:37 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

I experience widely varying sim speeds with OOTP5 on the particular machine I am using right now, and I have no idea why, so take this figure with a grain of salt, but FYI, the first month took a little under 5 minutes to sim on a 2.6GHz machine. Starting sim season right as I hit "post reply" button.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
Rizon
Pro Starter

Oh god ... I only have one hand on the keyboard ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Oh god ... I only have one hand on the keyboard ...

Did you check the sock for ants first?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
Cecil Fielder
Mascot

nice reporting, SkyDog!

Cecil Fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:13 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
I agree with the sorting of players by positions they can play, not just their primary. I hope Markus can add that in a patch. It would be a great if it was added for FAs too.

More importantly, the AI should recognize that certain players can play more than one position, not just their "primary position," when deciding who should start. This is much more important to me than the sorting option.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
More importantly, the AI should recognize that certain players can play more than one position, not just their "primary position," when deciding who should start.

As well as, IMO, when they determine FA signings, trades, etc. & et al.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
As well as, IMO, when they determine FA signings, trades, etc. & et al.

Both good points Ksyrup & Jon. I think this year has them look at stats as well as ratings this year, but I'm not sure on both of your statements. (probably not)

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #15
rexallllsc
Banned

Is 1-100 mandatory, or optional?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:34 PM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

1-100 is optional - you can use 2-8, 1-10, 1-20, 1-100, or you can turn off the ratings completely.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:35 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I believe you said it was okay to post comments/questions along the way, so here's something that jumped out at me --

There's "Spd" = Speed
There's "Stl" = Steal
And on the player ratings screen there's "Baserunning instincts".

The roster you posted appears to have a couple of good candidates for some spot-checking.

2B Ken Moore - 52 Spd, 78 Stl
SS George Crosland - 85 Spd, 49 Stl

Logically, I believe a checking of the "baserunning instincts" for that duo should reveal: Good to above average instincts for 2B Moore & below average to bad instincts for SS Crosland.

I'd be interested to know if that's actually the case.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Very, very good idea for this preview. Given the middle settings for trades, I'm anxious to see how they improved the already good trading interface. One fantasy for me (as in all sports sims) is whether the AI can be competitive to you without too many house rules (esp. in financials). Also, this might be hard to check but one of the annoyances is how the AI manages its roster, esp. in regards to in-season signing FAs/releasing said FAs/bonehead trades/later/rinse/repeat. Other than that, as long as I can construct leagues from any eras and import Lahman, I'm happy.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Is 1-100 mandatory, or optional?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
All Ratings Options set 1-100. They can be none, 1 to 5, 2 to 8, 1 to 10, 1 to 20, and 1 to 100.
There ya go.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I believe you said it was okay to post comments/questions along the way, so here's something that jumped out at me --

There's "Spd" = Speed
There's "Stl" = Steal
And on the player ratings screen there's "Baserunning instincts".

The roster you posted appears to have a couple of good candidates for some spot-checking.

2B Ken Moore - 52 Spd, 78 Stl
SS George Crosland - 85 Spd, 49 Stl

Logically, I believe a checking of the "baserunning instincts" for that duo should reveal: Good to above average instincts for 2B Moore & below average to bad instincts for SS Crosland.

I'd be interested to know if that's actually the case.
Here ya go:

Moore has instincts at 69. He stole 18 bases and was caught 3 times.

Crosland's instincts are 55. He spent the year at AAA, stealing 30 bases and being caught 11 times.

The AI made a better choice overall, I think, for the primary SS. It went with switch-hitter Cesar Marquez (41 con, 54 pow, 28 eye) against righties. He was .251-16-50 on the year, and youngster Sabas Gutierrez (41,51,25) started against lefties. He was .243-8-38.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:00 PM   #21
Ben E Lou

I wanted to share this "global" impression that I have right now...

At this point, it appears that the bulk of the changes from OOTP5 to OOTP6 are "under the hood" changes, which is a *very* good thing. The waiver/rule 5/40-man roster stuff adds a layer of complexity, but isn't that radical. Tomorrow morning after a good overnight sim I think we'll have a much better feel for how the new under the hood stuff is working so far.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

EDIT: Markus has found a fixed a bug that had an impact on stats being generated. I have therefore removed the HTML report from the server. He is getting another build to me, and I'll report back in on stats with that build later today or first thing tomorrow.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-15-2004 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #23
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hmmm... still says OOTP5 on the html.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Hmmm... still says OOTP5 on the html.

Uh...it still says .400 Studios!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #25
Ben E Lou

LOL. Didn't notice either of those things...If Markus isn't reading, I'll make sure to pass it along to him in the morning.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is really quite funny.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:27 PM   #27
Ben E Lou

I'll leave commentary on the year 1 stats up to y'all, while I focus on my first offseason.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #28
Ksyrup

Another small thing I'd like to see fixed (or changed) is when you start a new fictional league with a blank record book, the rookie records should actually be set by rookies. I'm not sure if there's a way for the computer to differentiate between rookies and vets playing their first games in this league, but I'm sick of having to go through and manually wipe out the rookie records after the first year, since the records are, by default, the league leaders from that first year. Especially since I've noticed that with certain leagues, the computer never fills in the rookie average leaders or HR leaders, for example, after I have wiped them out, and I have to manually search for the records to input them myself.

Just a small annoyance that I never remember to bring up over at the OOTP board.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-14-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #29
sooner333
College Starter

It couldn't be hard now, since they actually do service years and days. Whereas before, it would just be the players age.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #30
Ben E Lou

First free agent extension process is impressive. I received about three or four different messages from the same guy (and was able to make about 7 different offers...) after each offer explaining two things:

1. what I needed to do to improve (more money or more years)
2. his "mood"

The "mood" comments are new, and serve as a nice warning as to whether you need to really up the ante or go home.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #31
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
The "mood" comments are new, and serve as a nice warning as to whether you need to really up the ante or go home.

Actually, I'm pretty sure those were added in the last version 5 patch... but still a nice feature.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:44 PM   #32
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
First free agent extension process is impressive. I received about three or four different messages from the same guy (and was able to make about 7 different offers...) after each offer explaining two things:

1. what I needed to do to improve (more money or more years)
2. his "mood"

I don't think so, unless I didn't do the last patch. In any case, this is a superb feature that makes one of my favorite parts more interesting.

I'm anxious to see if the FA stages have any enhancements.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #33
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, some of the skins for some of the HTML output still includes references to OOTP5 and .400 - those are some of the last things that need to be changed before release. Boxscores were the same way up until a short time ago...

-Craig
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #34
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I've never played OOTP before and know very little about baseball, but I bought the game today. Anyway, my first question is on the html stats...

what does WHIP stand for in the pitcher stats? (on the team stats and info page)

thanks in advance.

(edited to clarify where I was looking)

Last edited by Cap Ologist : 04-14-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #35
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I know there's still some cleaning up to do, but here's hoping that Markus changes the "Eye/Discipline" column on the prospects page to just "Eye" so the formatting isn't all screwy.

The interest is piqued. Nice job as always, Ben. Keep it coming!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #36
Ben E Lou

Ok. I'm very tired. Done for the night. I just created a new 16-team league, and set it to sim 50 seasons. We'll see how many it does, and talk about long-term stats tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #37
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
what does WHIP stand for in the pitcher stats? (on the team stats and info page)

WHIP = (walks + hits) / IP
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #38
Ben E Lou

Quote:
(Walks + Hits)/(Innings Pitched)
Old 04-14-2004, 09:17 PM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never played OOTP before and know very little about baseball, but I bought the game today. Anyway, my first question is on the html stats...

thanks in advance.

(edited to clarify where I was looking)

That's awesome!
I'm in the same boat as far as soccer goes, maybe I should try CM 3/4?

Todd
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #40
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, I'm seeing it again. Go to the League Transactions html. I am seeing AI teams trading for players and then releasing them a few days later. Also I am seeing way too many releasing/signing players to minor league contracts. Can this be looked at or tightened up please?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Also, as indicated in the ootp thread, I don't think there are players being claimed off of waivers. In real life, are many players claimed this way? I love that we can place players on waivers, gives us another decision to make.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Ok, I'm seeing it again. Go to the League Transactions html. I am seeing AI teams trading for players and then releasing them a few days later. Also I am seeing way too many releasing/signing players to minor league contracts. Can this be looked at or tightened up please?

Go to bed Bucc.

I'm noticing some things like that as well, ugh! Although it's nice to see a CPU trade that has cash envolved. I wondered how in-depth that would be.

Todd
Old 04-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #43
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That reminds me, can we NOW trade for draft picks?? I've been asking for this since v.4.

Mizzou, have to look at something and since GM stuff is my only interest, I pick up on things like this. I leave it to the geeks and grognards to look at the stats.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-14-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #44
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I just got the new build today from Markus, and in the season I just simmed the AI was claiming players off of waivers.

FWIW, I know that this one of the last things tweaked, and it made need further tweaking.

I'll talk to Markus about trading players and then releasing them. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Personally, I've been looking at stats more - to make sure they fixed some of the weaknesses in previous versions - but things like this should be addressed as well.

-Craig
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #45
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Agreed, Bucc. The number of players being release is a bit alarming. I realize they are mostly scrubs, but it's still excessive. I also don't like the sight of players being traded for and then getting released. Doesn't make a lot of sense. I know this things happened in v5, but they seem to be more excessive in this beta build.

I'm also not seeing a lot of rhyme or reason to waivers. I see a lot of players being sent down without clearing waivers, but I also see a lot of people clearing waivers and nothing happens. Of course, the html may not show the full story, so I won't get my knickers in a twist quite yet.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #46
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Small thing, but it appears CF are put as "C(" on the Top Prospects page.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 PM   #47
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
That reminds me, can we NOW trade for draft picks?? I've been asking for this since v.4.

No, but you can include money now.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:53 PM   #48
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I'm also not seeing a lot of rhyme or reason to waivers. I see a lot of players being sent down without clearing waivers, but I also see a lot of people clearing waivers and nothing happens. Of course, the html may not show the full story, so I won't get my knickers in a twist quite yet.

You can send players to the minors without waivers if they haven't exhausted their option years. Are you seeing players demoted that are out of option years?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:01 PM   #49
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Personally, I've been looking at stats more

Yeah, I know, that seems to be really important to a lot of people. To me, I thought the stats from v.4 were perfectly fine. I just look for a 8/8/7 pitcher usually going 17-9, 3.25. That's good enough for me because I don't care how he gets there. Spending too much time on tweaking (or re-doing) the engine take away from more important things like trading, free agenting and AI managing their rosters better. <-- is that enough?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That's awesome!
I'm in the same boat as far as soccer goes, maybe I should try CM 3/4?

Todd

Not to threadjack or anything, but based on my initial foray into this game tonight, I would strongly consider giving CM 3/4 a try
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote