Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Talking From a Addict of TCY

TCY is the best text sports simulation ever made. Now we need a new version of it, PLEASE.... I still play the game everyday after work, love the recruiting, need the player management, want to win the National championship...

I Think I'm an Addict of TCY & I need a new fix...

Bring on TCY2..

A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I dont think we will see it.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:13 PM   #3
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Why do you post this every week when Jim has made it obvious that he isn't making another football game this year. He has said he is already in the coding process of a new game, so I doubt your pleas will make him drop that and start over.

I love TCY too, but your begging is pathetic. Almost as pathetic as my obsession with dogs and peanut butter...yyyummmm... JIF!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
Taur
High School Varsity

Your dream will come true this year from EA studios. Check out EA's NCAA 2004. The features list will blow you away.

There have been a couple of posts here about the upcomming game so do a search. If they can deliver what they promise you will never play TCY again.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Taur
Your dream will come true this year from EA studios. Check out EA's NCAA 2004. The features list will blow you away.

There have been a couple of posts here about the upcomming game so do a search. If they can deliver what they promise you will never play TCY again.

I wouldn't quite go that far. It will be good, but the recruiting is still quite a bit more simplistic than TCY, although I wouldn't mind seeing Jim borrow a few of their better ideas.

If you read Jim's website it seems fairly likely that the next game he'll work on (after the current, unnamed one) will be TCY2. He's stated he intends to remain the #1 football text-sim producer, and he's already updated FOF, so the next target is TCY. Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he said he'd do a sequel to TCY.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, but will it be better, or just a patch type product. I never bought FOF4, I have FOF2002, and from what I read there just wasn't enough distinction to make it worth buying. To me, all the demo was, was a pro version of TCY. I think TCY is a much more fun game. And get loads of fun out of it, I am just leery about a new release, after the FOF4 fiasco.

Quote:
Almost as pathetic as my obsession with dogs and peanut butter...yyyummmm... JIF!

The Afoci....North Dakota's FOFC rep, way to bring real NoDak life to the people.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #7
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I don't think FOF4 was a fiasco.
It is indeed a pretty well conceived football game. It is just not an "NFL" game as much as FOF2 or FOF2k1/2K2 used to be.

Personnaly, I don't like the astrological signs stuff and I miss some other "basic" features very badly like : the # where the 1st round pick was selected so to be reminded years later, I miss many key FOF2 features that for whatever reasons have been erased in FOF4.

can't help it. anyway it's sill a good game but I agree that I expected much much more.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

What "basic" features?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

FOF4 was a letdown, it's that simple.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

FOF4 didn't have the spirit of its predecessors. I'm thinking of re-opening FOF2k1 because I have a football fix. When an EA product is being viewed as a better alternative, then there is something wrong with the viewer (me) or the product (FOF4). And I'm not the only one who has gone back....

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:50 AM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
FOF4 didn't have the spirit of its predecessors. I'm thinking of re-opening FOF2k1 because I have a football fix. When an EA product is being viewed as a better alternative, then there is something wrong with the viewer (me) or the product (FOF4). And I'm not the only one who has gone back....

-Anxiety

I've gone back. Maybe it's speed issues or something more, but I enjoy FOF2001 more. Shit, I even like the interface better.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #12
Bibs
n00b

FOF4 has never been finished. Everyone blamed EA for the FOF2K1 fiasco, but in light of the poor support that FOF4 has received I wonder if that isn't misplaced. 2 patches in and there are still bugs which shouldn't have made it thru competent beta testing.
Bibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #13
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
What "basic" features?

From the top of my head, without really digging very far, here are a few basic FOF2 features which I still wonder why they've been forgotten in version 4 :

- the overall game interface (for each and every screen, it is so ergonomic) - the # where the former 1st round pick was selected.
- clicling twice to have the player's card instead of once in FOF4.
- being able to see the player's carreer stats/honors when he's in the Hall of Fame.
- Teams Hall of Fame
- When a game is played and you watch it : I prefered ten times more the former screen instead of this new un-watchable game screen where colors don't match and you just can't see/understand a single element of the unfolding game.

Also, I don't like the way to access to menus "Roster commands" - I like management an awful lot, but in this case ; it is micro-management and to me, ads nothing to the gameplay (only some frustration maybe) and a waste of time.

The way I can configure my gameplan in FOF2 is enough and I don't need so many other screens (ala FOF4) to finally get to my game and play for good. FOF4 gameplan screens are "heavy" although you can turn them down (one for all).
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 07:47 PM   #14
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bibs
FOF4 has never been finished. Everyone blamed EA for the FOF2K1 fiasco, but in light of the poor support that FOF4 has received I wonder if that isn't misplaced. 2 patches in and there are still bugs which shouldn't have made it thru competent beta testing.

Which bugs are you refering to? I am quite happy with the support Jim has provided. The board has been able to make a list of problems and if they are real problems Jim has been very good about fixing them.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #15
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Bibs

What number patch is CM on now? How many patches have there been for OOTP? TDCB had over 10? And what bugs are there that should have been seen in Beta testing? I sure as hell haven't seen any.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #16
tucker342
Pro Starter

The first step in breaking your addiction, is to admit you have a problem. Good job taking that first step
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #17
Taur
High School Varsity

Here is the FOF link to a discussion on EA's NCAA 2004
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9270&highlight=ncaa+2004

What I have read about a possible TCY2 is that it WILL have a playbook.(BIG WOOP) EA sports is quickly catching up in the dynasty mode.

I personally am looking forward to .400 studios new football sim.(it used to be call Football.net)
Old 05-29-2003, 12:29 AM   #18
Bibs
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
What number patch is CM on now? How many patches have there been for OOTP? TDCB had over 10? And what bugs are there that should have been seen in Beta testing? I sure as hell haven't seen any.

1. The computer calls time outs for the human player on defense. Furthermore, it calls them after a first down by the offense and on plays when the clock is stopped anyway.

2. The AI declines a penalty that gives them an automatic first down and accepts the play and then punts. It makes similar idiotic decisions on defense when you are against your own goal and the penalty yardage is small. This can't be that hard to do correctly.

3. I now have the ball my my opponents 1 yard line on 0 down with 0 yards to go after the defense committed an encroachment penalty while I was on my own 25. I got sacked for a 6 yard loss to make it first and goal on the seven.

4. When you print out to a file the first character is missing.

These are flat-out bugs which are hard to miss although I guess you haven't noticed them. These aren't gripes about the AI which may work poorly, but at least is as intended as far as I can tell, just bugs with the basic engine which should at least not get worse over time.

Someone mentioned they are happy with Jim's level of support.
The initial release was unplayable since it crashed so often and the second patch fixed a few bugs and we're over 7 months after release. Not much support in my opinion.

Bottom line for me is I won't buy another Gindin game if this version of FOF4 is the best he can do.

Last edited by Bibs : 05-29-2003 at 12:31 AM.
Bibs is offline   Reply With Quote