Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #4901
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm pretty sure its First Ladies and TV personalities from here on out.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #4902
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Straight from conspiracy theory central, we have the hypothesis that the reason Cruz dropped out of the race now is so that he can mount a bid as an independent candidate.

In order to do that, he'd need to get on individual states' ballots. The first such deadline is coming up, May 9th, and is for... wait for it... Texas.

Ballot access reference: Ballot access for presidential candidates - Ballotpedia

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 05-04-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: speeeeeeeeling
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #4903
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder if this will encourage more celebrities to run for president in the future.

I heard billionaire investor Chris Sacca on with Bill Simmons the other day, legitimately trying to make the case that Mark Cuban will run for President after a B2B Hillary term.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #4904
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I remember what a friend from Munich told me after Schwarzenegger won the Governor's race in California: "Be very careful, we elected an Austrian once".

/pedantry

No, they didn't. They elected Nazis to the Reichstag in sufficient numbers that the Conservatives opted to make Hitler the head of a coalition government rather than risk the Nazis winning an outright majority in new elections (and even that's a simplification).

By the time Hitler was facing plebescites (and we'll leave aside the question of their legitimacy), he was firmly ensconced in power. German voters never had a direct say in his takeover of the German state.

//pedantry
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #4905
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I heard billionaire investor Chris Sacca on with Bill Simmons the other day, legitimately trying to make the case that Mark Cuban will run for President after a B2B Hillary term.

Cuban/Mr. Wonderful 2024!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #4906
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
/pedantry

No, they didn't. They elected Nazis to the Reichstag in sufficient numbers that the Conservatives opted to make Hitler the head of a coalition government rather than risk the Nazis winning an outright majority in new elections (and even that's a simplification).

By the time Hitler was facing plebescites (and we'll leave aside the question of their legitimacy), he was firmly ensconced in power. German voters never had a direct say in his takeover of the German state.

//pedantry

Pedantry doesn't excuse or circumvent Godwins Law.

But I have a reasonable expectation that people are gonna go wild with comparisons, there's no stopping it.

Last edited by Dutch : 05-04-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #4907
Dutch
"Dutch"

And Kasich drops out, 4th, behind Cruz and Rubio.

Donald Trump is officially the last man standing from the field of 17(?) that started this thing 82 (possible exaggeration) months ago...
Old 05-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #4908
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Coolidge!! He is a great Republican model?! If so, mental illness must literally be a prerequisite to being a great president.

This jumped out at me too and made me laugh. Some Conservatives have done a great job of historical revisionism and rehabilitation of Calvin Coolidge. According to them, The Great Depression was because Hoover didn't keep to Coolidge's extreme laissez-faire economic approach and FDR was the devil who prolonged the misery.

Gives me a good chuckle anytime I see it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #4909
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
And Kasich drops out, 4th, behind Cruz and Rubio.

Donald Trump is officially the last man standing from the field of 17(?) that started this thing 82 (possible exaggeration) months ago...

It seems so long ago that Donald Trump descended on his magic escalator and announced his presidential bid.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #4910
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Cuban/Mr. Wonderful 2024!

Mr Wonderful is Canadian just like Ted Cruz
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #4911
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
It seems so long ago that Donald Trump descended on his magic escalator and announced his presidential bid.

lmao
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #4912
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
"I'm the king of debt. I love debt," Trump said. "The problem with Puerto Rico is they have far too much debt."

Lovely. At least he has limits. It's too bad we can't build a wall around the treasury.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #4913
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
What I find amazing is that second term Reagan vs. Dukakis was the last "worthy" match up

Reagan v Mondale, perhaps you mean.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 05-04-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #4914
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Reagan v Mondale, perhaps you mean.

Surely jest. 2016-(6*4).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #4915
bhlloy
Coordinator

I did get a chuckle at the thought of all these Republican big wigs trying to put a brave face on it and convince themselves that maybe Trump won't be too bad and then turning on Fox News to hear in his first interview he spoke about raising the minimum wage.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #4916
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Lovely. At least he has limits. It's too bad we can't build a wall around the treasury.

The economy and national debt doesn't matter. We, as a nation of voters, couldn't care less. But suggest somebody is building a wall around the treasury and is racist....now you've got our attention!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #4917
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hillary Clinton Would Like to Thank GOP Leaders for Making Her Latest Attack Ad
Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #4918
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
A coup for the Trump campaign:

Lena Dunham: I'll move to Canada if Donald Trump is president - CNNPolitics.com

I didn't much appreciate her appearance on Game of Thrones Sunday night.

How come none of these people threaten to move to Mexico?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #4919
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, in Trump's case, if they want to move back after he's out of office, they couldn't - there'd be a wall in the way.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #4920
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If the election is a shitshow and Drumpf wins, can't they just impeach him after the midterm if he's awful?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #4921
PilotMan
Head Coach

On a totally semi-unrelated note.

I was thinking about the amount that John Oliver had for cost figure for the wall. I think it was in the 20-24 billion dollar range and then 7 billion per year to maintain it after that. Then I came across a number that described how much Quatar is spending to build 10 stadiums plus housing for the 2022 World Cup and it's like 200 billion.

I see the number, but it's so freaking big that I just can't wrap my head around it. I mean we are used to hearing big numbers in the US, like the total cost of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is over 4 trillion, but 200 billion for a soccer tournament? 200,000 million dollars and that's basically using slave labor to build everything.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #4922
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, maybe if you could play football in the wall...
Old 05-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #4923
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Pedantry doesn't excuse or circumvent Godwins Law.

But I have a reasonable expectation that people are gonna go wild with comparisons, there's no stopping it.

Godwin's Law has nothing to do with history. It has everything to do with people misusing a particular bit of the historical record to shut down discussion.

RETHUGLICANS ARE WORSE THAN HITLER!!!ONE1! would be an invocation of Godwin's Law. "German parliamentary democracy didn't actually work that way," on the other hand, would not.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #4924
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Godwin's Law has nothing to do with history. It has everything to do with people misusing a particular bit of the historical record to shut down discussion.

RETHUGLICANS ARE WORSE THAN HITLER!!!ONE1! would be an invocation of Godwin's Law. "German parliamentary democracy didn't actually work that way," on the other hand, would not.

My rule is passive reference to Hitler in a political thread is Godwin's Law. Sorry!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #4925
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
On a totally semi-unrelated note.

I was thinking about the amount that John Oliver had for cost figure for the wall. I think it was in the 20-24 billion dollar range and then 7 billion per year to maintain it after that. Then I came across a number that described how much Quatar is spending to build 10 stadiums plus housing for the 2022 World Cup and it's like 200 billion.

I see the number, but it's so freaking big that I just can't wrap my head around it. I mean we are used to hearing big numbers in the US, like the total cost of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is over 4 trillion, but 200 billion for a soccer tournament? 200,000 million dollars and that's basically using slave labor to build everything.

Think of all the opulent things we could build here if we just didn't worry about a wall and just allowed all the illegals to work here. I think Trump is looking at this from the wrong angle. There could be a Trump Tower in every major city. We'd have the best Trump Towers.

#MAKEAMERICAOPULENTAGAIN
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #4926
Dutch
"Dutch"

They aren't here long enough, we are deporting as many as are coming in. It's the revolving door shit that is costly (and bringing in all the drugs and human trafficking) that a more secure border would start to eliminate. It's not about racism.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #4927
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Never ask me about my political predictions again. It is a new world that passed me by. If at anytime you asked me if this was a possible match up, I would have bet the farm against. So, now I just watch. My opinions have no value, as I based them on my historical acumen.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #4928
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Never ask me about my political predictions again. It is a new world that passed me by. If at anytime you asked me if this was a possible match up, I would have bet the farm against. So, now I just watch. My opinions have no value, as I based them on my historical acumen.

Same with me and my Marco Rubio prediction. But in my defense, that was before he got stuck in an infinite loop during a debate.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #4929
bhlloy
Coordinator

Or decided that the serious way forward to prove he was a sensible mature candidate for the presidency of the United States was a half weeks worth of small dick jokes?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #4930
PilotMan
Head Coach

You have to wonder a little if being beaten by Trump in this fashion damages the long term prospects of any of them. For starters, they'll never be able to live it down to themselves. They were beaten, by Trump, during a time after 8 years of a Democrat president.

Then there's that concept that you were good until the chips were down and you blew it perception that the public gets. That's where I think it'll cost them. The next time the big money wants to hook the money train up to one of them they'll be reminded of the time they lost in phenomenal fashion to Trump.

It's going to stick with each of them in one way or another. I just wonder if it'll end up sinking this entire cadre of Republican leaders. Four years from now it could be an entirely different slew of people for the nomination.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 05-06-2016 at 10:30 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #4931
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think there's absolutely no doubt about that. Rubio was supposed to be the rising star of the party who could win back the Hispanic vote and I can't see a way back for him after this. He didn't even manage to win his own state in the primary and got completely embarrassed by Trump.

Those few days where he sunk to Trumps level was some of the most cringeworthy political stuff I've seen and there's no way that doesn't stick to him. Christie was already flaming out and the weird endorsement is probably him done. Kasich is a nobody who happened to be the only moderate left in because of the timing of Ohio.

The one who probably comes out of this the best is Cruz, especially if Trump loses horribly. It will be another round of "we lost because we weren't truly conservative enough" and I think he'll stand again - if he wants to.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #4932
SackAttack
Head Coach

My guess is the ones who will be hurt worst are the ones who stuck around to the bitter end. Some, like Carson, were "outsiders" to begin with who probably wouldn't have been taken seriously in a more traditional cycle.

I mean, to the extent anybody did take him seriously. So that's harder to measure. Will it hurt him? I dunno. Will the GOP electorate crave an outsider again in 4 years? In 8?

I think Perry is done, but not because of Trump - because he's had two bites at the apple and hasn't done shit with it.

I think Walker dropped out early enough that he can make another run at it, as much as it pains me to say that.

But I'm not sure there's a path back to national relevance for Cruz or Rubio; Kasich's best shot was "I'm Walker with a conscience and I'm the most establishment guy left with Rubio and Bush done."

Which...Bush. I never got the sense he wanted this. It felt like he was doing it because somebody obligated him to. I'm not sure losing to Trump finishes him because I'm not sure he has any interest in national politics anyway.

My guess: George P. Bush will be the Great Hispanic Hope of the GOP in four years, assuming there isn't a party-destroying schism this summer.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #4933
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
They aren't here long enough, we are deporting as many as are coming in. It's the revolving door shit that is costly (and bringing in all the drugs and human trafficking) that a more secure border would start to eliminate. It's not about racism.

And ain't that the fun bit? The Obama Administration has deported more illegal immigrants than any Administration in recent history, and yet somehow he's supposed to be facilitating this. Illegal immigration is actually decreasing (that is, the population of illegals has been shrinking in recent years), but you wouldn't know it to listen to Trump or his supporters.

Oh, and a hefty chunk of illegal immigration (not sure if we're talking plurality or majority here) are actually visa overstays, not border jumpers.

But even if it's NOT about racism and putting those damn beaners in their place, a wall isn't going to prevent drugs or human trafficking. There's already a tunnel system, and you can bet that would expand if a wall went up.

The Romans and the Chinese before us should have been an illustration to the efficacy of a wall as immigration control.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #4934
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Or decided that the serious way forward to prove he was a sensible mature candidate for the presidency of the United States was a half weeks worth of small dick jokes?

That too.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #4935
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

The debate thing is what really sunk Rubio. Before that, he had momentum off a better-than-expected finish in Iowa and donors / endorsements were starting to head his way. The dick jokes were when he realistically didn't have a chance anymore, so he employed a high risk strategy to try and turn things around. That might hurt him more in the long run though, assuming he wants to do this again.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #4936
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Indeed. I think I said in this thread, after Iowa, that Rubio was going to get the nomination. He had everything else he needed and he got a good third (and story) out of Iowa. And then literally a day later he completely melts down in the debate.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #4937
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

The debates were the final nail for Rubio but I think his unwillingness to put in the kind of effort that someone like Cruz put into organization will be the biggest strike against his future political ambitions.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #4938
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think this is about the people, not the candidates. Both sides are reacting to populism rather strongly. The math is different because the Democrats have superdelegates and they started with far fewer candidates. But it's the same story.

We've had rather weak GDP growth for many years now. Unemployment is low only because millions stopped looking for work. We're weary of the war and the 24/7 supply of violence around the world. We're tired of politicians who seem more interested in enriching their wallets than serving the people.

It's an environment ripe for populism.

So the populist candidates resonated quickly. To me, Sanders turning this into a fairly close race is almost as surprising as Trump's win. Because Clinton essentially had the blessing of a sitting president who is still reasonably popular with the Democratic base.

I have little idea what will happen over the next six months. It will definitely be unpleasant. Clinton knows the best way to beat Trump is to push his buttons and make him react. A woman pushing his buttons is guaranteed to enrage him, and we've seen he has no filter when he's enraged. So I think the odds are heavily in her favor, but who knows?
Old 05-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #4939
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We've had rather weak GDP growth for many years now. Unemployment is low only because millions stopped looking for work.

I actually wonder if this isn't the least economically focused presidential race in a long time.

I hear few people backing Trump because "he's gonna make jobs", ditto Hilary.
Hell, I hear few people backing her at all though they obviously exist.

I know, I know "It's the economy, stupid" ... but these races feel more about philosophy or core values or something in that vicinity than about economics particularly.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #4940
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
To me, Sanders turning this into a fairly close race is almost as surprising as Trump's win.

I actually find Sanders more surprising than Trump, though I suspect that's largely because I've become desensitized to the fact that Trump is going to win the primary. Both are still fascinating to me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #4941
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Unemployment is low only because millions stopped looking for work.

What is the point you are making with the stat? Obama should have created more/better jobs or Obama eliminated resolve by extending benefits?

I'm asking because I recently stumbled on an article about this. Here's a quote from CNBC: Nearly 9 of out 10 respondents (89 percent) said they would "search harder and wider" for work if their benefits ran out.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #4942
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unemployment is low only because millions stopped looking for work.

That's not necessarily true. U-6, which counts people who stopped looking for work and part time people who want full time work has been dropping quite rapidly since the Great Recession.

U6 Unemployment Rate | MacroTrends

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-07-2016 at 10:48 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #4943
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

None of the measures (U-1 through U-6) include people who don't want to work.

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-08-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #4944
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I mean, if we're willing to talk about SSDI and be realistic about that, the number of able-bodied young people who aren't working is astronomical. Call it unemployment or disability or whatever you want, but there's an entire generation of adults not working and an entire generation of children growing up without any adult role models around them who work.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #4945
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

"Astronomical"
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #4946
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

"The number isn't reflective, I've seen numbers of 24 percent -- I actually saw a number of 42 percent unemployment. Forty-two percent. 5.3 percent unemployment -- that is the biggest joke there is in this country. … The unemployment rate is probably 20 percent, but I will tell you, you have some great economists that will tell you it's a 30, 32. And the highest I've heard so far is 42 percent."
Old 05-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #4947
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When I'm President everyone will be rich!

Quote:
Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP nominee, said Sunday that "people have to get more," after spending time on the campaign trail striking down the possibility of a minimum wage hike.

"I am looking at it, and I haven't decided in terms of numbers. But I think people have to get more," Trump said on ABC News' "This Week."

Trump has said that the wages were too high in the country, notably at a debate in November. Trump told ABC host George that it was a different opinion than previously expressed.

"Sure, it's a change. I'm allowed to change," he said. "But my real minimum wage is going to be — I'm going to bring companies back into this country, and they're going to make a lot more than the $15 even."

Trump acknowledged on NBC News' "Meet the Press" that he wanted to just have the states decide.

"And I don't know how people make it on $7.25 an hour. Now, with that being said, I would like to see an increase of some magnitude," Trump said. "But I'd rather leave it to the states. Let the states decide."
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4948
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's his consistency that annoys me almost as much as his silly populism. I agree it should be a state (or city) decision, propped up by a national minimum that probably should be higher than $7.25. I hate the way he makes it obvious that he gives this almost no thought - he's certainly not taking the time to sit down with a group of experts and sorting through charts.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #4949
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
None of the measures (U-1 through U-6) include people who don't want to work.

Why would it? If someone isn't looking or can't be in the workforce, why would you count them?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #4950
Dutch
"Dutch"

Minimum wage is such an arbitrary number. I personally cannot wrap my brain around what works best for everybody in the lowest skilled jobs. When I was a kid, it was just spending money. So I guess I'm bias(...duh).