Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #4901
Bad-example
College Starter

Glad to hear good things about Attack the Block. It looked really good from the reviews I saw. That one is first up, tonight! Thanks.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #4902
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Attack the Block has been on my list to see before it came out and I added it to my Netflix queue. I just haven't been watching Netflix as of late, but that hopefully will change in about a month.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #4903
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Cedar Rapids is a good character comedy with a really fun cast. The Kids Are All Right is a solid indie drama that has some terrific performances (including Mark Ruffalo who was justly nominated). Tree of Life is a bizarre avant garde film that is made with amazing skill, but very hard to digest.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #4904
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Men In Black 3: 6/10: An enjoyable MIB sequel involving time travel and lots of Will Smith charisma. Josh Brolin did an amazing job channeling a young Tommie Lee Jones. An interesting storyline as well (which I didn't expect - though it'd be just a cash-in movie) and the time travel aspect wasn't too cheesy. Good popcorn movie. An absolutely great and heart wrenching ending as well!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-30-2012 at 11:24 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #4905
Bad-example
College Starter

Cedar Rapids 8/10...solid, a bit unsettling. 'Clay Davis' was pretty damn funny.
Another Earth 2/10...not a science fiction movie. Mostly lame.
The Kids Are All Right 7/10...it just didn't do much for me.
American Psycho 6.5/10...Strange, interesting, ultimately unsatisfying.
Attack The Block 8/10...I liked it. Heavy accents made much of the dialogue unintelligible. I feel like I missed a lot of good lines.
The Guard 7/10...No chemistry between the leads. Needed better script/direction.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #4906
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Snow White and the Huntsman - 5/10

I don't know what the hype is about this one. Kristen Stewart proves yet again that it's a challenge for her even to breathe on the big screen. Charlize was "meh." There was a lot of CGI and action and very little story-telling. There needed to be more acting and story.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #4907
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Snow White and the Huntsman - 5/10

I don't know what the hype is about this one. Kristen Stewart proves yet again that it's a challenge for her even to breathe on the big screen. Charlize was "meh." There was a lot of CGI and action and very little story-telling. There needed to be more acting and story.

/tk

I had some interest in seeing this, but Stewart being in it in any capacity is a killer for me. The trailers make it look like it has tons of potential, glad to see it's a waste of money.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #4908
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Snow White And The Huntsman 3.5/10

Kristin Stewart was horribly miscast. But save for that, everyone else tried to do their best to prop this thing up. They did a good job of sticking to the fairy tale while keeping it interesting and give us a bit more twists to it, but...at the end of the day, I felt like this could've been a bad-ass epic and instead, it was just a waify story about how a girl needed to be saved by a bunch of dudes.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-03-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #4909
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stewart kills all the movies she is in. Her non nudity clause in Adventureland was especially heinous. They are going to go night swimming in underwear? How unlikely.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #4910
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently her next film "On the Road" has no nudity clause. Though "Adventureland" was awesome and Stewart was good in it.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #4911
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, I thought Stewart was really good in Panic Room, Adventureland, and In the Land of Women. I have no doubt she's terrible in Twilight, but she's playing one of the most unappealing literary characters in history.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #4912
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently her next film "On the Road" has no nudity clause. Though "Adventureland" was awesome and Stewart was good in it.

Ugh. She's going to ruin the movie version of one of my favorite books too?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #4913
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I went through my on demand menu and wrote down some movies that look interesting. Any thoughts?

Cedar Rapids
Another Earth
The Kids Are All Right
American Psycho
Tree Of Life
Attack The Block
The Guard

Cedar Rapids is hilarious and completely overlooked.

The Kids are all right is quirky and fairly funny with a decent story.

American Psycho is a fucking classic, and one of the funniest movies I ever watched.

Attack The Block, I agree with the general assessment already put forth. Pretty good, but not as good as the hype made it seem like it would be.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #4914
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Avengers - 6.5
I fell asleep on it the first time and the second time I was bored out my mind until about half way through the movie when it got interesting. The movie had way to much going on and was a bit of a clusterf*ck. The coolest part was seeing the Hulk dish rag Loki.

John Carter - 8
Everyone said it sucked but then again everyone is a mindless sheep. I thought this was a good action movie with an interesting plot. I liked the idea of there being a race of aliens who secretly control wars (can you tell I am into conspiracy).

Journey 2 the Mystery Island - 7
A fun movie. I will definitely buy the DVD/Blueray and watch it with my lady friend.

The Sitter - 8.5
Stoner comedy. This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and I could not stop laughing from the opening credits. If you're ever looking for a movie that gives you a laugh while being light then give the Sitter a chance.

Young Adult - 7
I will call this one a Seinfeld like comedy, either you get it or you don't. I got it and I liked it.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #4915
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Another Earth 2/10...not a science fiction movie. Mostly lame.

Oh good God this movie was just terrible. There is nothing redeeming or thought-provoking about it and the sci-fi component of it is not even a good distraction from the rest of the terribleness.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #4916
korme
Go Reds

Watch American Psycho, you'll probably hate it. Watch it again, you'll get it and love it forever.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #4917
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

No. Stewart is exactly the same in every movie she is in. The only way she can hope to be good in a movie is to have her character be as awkward and as halting in her speech as she is.

BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #4918
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The short version of her acting is you just hope she doesn't really take away from the movie. She'll never add to it. She was decent in Adventureland, but it's not like she comes across as somebody who could carry a movie if need be. Note, she's not carrying Twilight. The phenomenon itself is. She is easily one of the actresses who when you see her named attached to a film you instantly have an idea of how good it will be. See also Megan Fox, Jessica Alba and a long list of so called attractive actresses living off of their looks.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #4919
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to disagree on that score. I thought she carried "Adventureland". Eisenburg and Reynolds were great in it, but Stewart was the one who stole the show.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #4920
JediKooter
Coordinator

Snow White and the Huntsman - 4/10

I noticed quite early that the director (or whoever made the decision) kept Stewarts lines to a minimum. However, I could have done with about 75% less head shots of her emoting her way through a scene.

Charlize...damn, she even looks hot in old lady makeup.

Outstanding job on the dwarfs. Hats off to whatever company did those scenes.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #4921
Izulde
Head Coach

Midnight in Paris - 5/7.5
I'm giving this movie two ratings. The first is for anyone who isn't a Lost Generation junkie. You won't get 90% of the references and without that, it's a very ordinary movie with some shallow acting and a predictable ending. That said, there's some hilarious non-in joke dialogue and Owen Wilson is oddly charming in the lead role, both of which elevate it to a mediocre rating for people in this group.

The second is for those who are Lost Generation fanatics, particularly if you've read Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein and A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway, the two best contemporaneous books of the American writers and artists in 1920's Paris and if you've seen the special Paris: The Luminous Years.

Those who fall into the latter category will laugh hysterically at all the references they get and recognize that what appear to be shallow acting of historical figures is actually amusing caricature laden with opportunities for in-jokes.

This is one of the few movies I wish was a lot longer. The time just sped by and at the end I was like "...That was it? I want MOAR!". The fast-pace of this thing for the second category viewers (first category viewers will probably have been bored by the time the movie ends) makes the pat conclusion that much more clunky.

There was so much more room to have even more fun with this and play out the arc of the story which is concluded far too quickly IMO, so there's a sense of lack in some aspects. As is though, this is probably a film I'll end up buying and watching repeatedly.

There's also one joke that was a missed opportunity to make even more hilarious that I'll spoiler.

Spoiler

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #4922
JediKooter
Coordinator

Prometheus - 7.5/10

I was definitely entertained by this movie. Hats off to the main actors and the way they portrayed their characters, with tiny bits of weakness here and there, but, not too distracting. I was worried how the movie played out since Lindelof of Lost had his hands all over it. I can't stand Lost and was worried this would be Lost in the Alien Universe. Luckily, it wasn't in my opinion.

Why not 10/10? Well, there were a couple of parts, that while I did have my suspension of disbelief on, I think could have been handled better and would have made things more intense.

I'd go see this again and just might on Saturday or Sunday. As mentioned in the Prometheus thread...this is no "Alien" movie (though it is set in the Alien universe prior to the events of the first Alien movie), however, if you don't notice the Alien connections, you either weren't paying attention or were blind.

Not sure if this would be a spoiler or not, so, I'm putting it in a spolier:

Spoiler

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #4923
sabotai
General Manager

Moneyball - 8/10 - Really good movie IMO, and I'll probably watch it several more times.

The Ides of March - 6/10 - Political drama that felt like it could have been a lot better. Usually, political dramas have subplots and mystery going on and they generally last 2+ hours. This was just 1.5 hours long, no subplots really, and felt like it sprinted to the end. If not for Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti, I'd have rated this maybe a 4/10. Those two were fantastic as always.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #4924
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Prometheus - 7.5/10

I was definitely entertained by this movie. Hats off to the main actors and the way they portrayed their characters, with tiny bits of weakness here and there, but, not too distracting. I was worried how the movie played out since Lindelof of Lost had his hands all over it. I can't stand Lost and was worried this would be Lost in the Alien Universe. Luckily, it wasn't in my opinion.

Why not 10/10? Well, there were a couple of parts, that while I did have my suspension of disbelief on, I think could have been handled better and would have made things more intense.

I'd go see this again and just might on Saturday or Sunday. As mentioned in the Prometheus thread...this is no "Alien" movie (though it is set in the Alien universe prior to the events of the first Alien movie), however, if you don't notice the Alien connections, you either weren't paying attention or were blind.

Not sure if this would be a spoiler or not, so, I'm putting it in a spolier:

Spoiler

I agree with this. Watched it this evening in 3D+IMAX. I was entertained and that's all you can ask. First time watching 3D and it was very enjoyable (although you'd think they could put some damn cushions on the ear pieces. God damn). Perfect summertime flick.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #4925
Grover
Pro Starter

I would go so far to give Prometheus 8.5/10. It was well paced. I've read a lot of complaints about character development, but it didn't seem nearly as bad as some people were crowing. I was definitely entertained throughout.

I agree with Kooter's third paragraph of his spoiler completely. I was a bit surprised at the lack of subtlety toward it early on.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #4926
sabotai
General Manager

Pineapple Express - 8/10 - Just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #4927
Swaggs
Coordinator

I saw Prometheus last night, too.

Right now, I'd give it about a 7/10. Aside from Avatar, I think it is the best use of 3D for a film that I have personally seen (and btw, did anyone else get "The Great Gatsby 3D" trailer -- really, a 3D movie about The Great Gatsby?). Beautiful environment, scenery, set, costumes, etc.

I'm nicking it for some of the suspensions of belief and some of the open-ended stuff that they never seemed to get around to closing (stuff that was not designed for a sequel). Also, seemingly random use of Guy Pearce (who I really like).

Spoiler
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #4928
JSmith44
n00b

Saw Prometheus last night.

I really did not like it at all. Right now I give it a 3/10. There was just too much where I couldn't suspend my disbelief. The visuals were amazing, but that just can't make up for all the rest I did not like at all.

Spoiler
JSmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #4929
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith44 View Post

I really did not like it at all. Right now I give it a 3/10. There was just too much where I couldn't suspend my disbelief. The visuals were amazing, but that just can't make up for all the rest I did not like at all.

Spoiler

100% agree. nothing in this movie made sense. i asked every single question you did when i got out. i don't even get the plot:

Spoiler

also, NOTHING david did made sense. also:

Spoiler

4/10. it looked cool at least.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #4930
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Snow White And The Huntsman 3.5/10

Kristin Stewart was horribly miscast. But save for that, everyone else tried to do their best to prop this thing up. They did a good job of sticking to the fairy tale while keeping it interesting and give us a bit more twists to it, but...at the end of the day, I felt like this could've been a bad-ass epic and instead, it was just a waify story about how a girl needed to be saved by a bunch of dudes.

I actually think quite the opposite. The fundamental core of the story is the prince kisses her and she wakes up, so unless they are planning a sequel where the Huntsman is a prince they completely changed the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
No. Stewart is exactly the same in every movie she is in. The only way she can hope to be good in a movie is to have her character be as awkward and as halting in her speech as she is.

This- I turned to my wifa at on point and commented on how she has the same stupid look on her face every movie she is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Snow White and the Huntsman - 4/10

I noticed quite early that the director (or whoever made the decision) kept Stewarts lines to a minimum. However, I could have done with about 75% less head shots of her emoting her way through a scene.

Charlize...damn, she even looks hot in old lady makeup.

Outstanding job on the dwarfs. Hats off to whatever company did those scenes.

I agree with all of this. I was pretty underwhelmed. Bummer since we only get to a few movies a year.

My wife had the perfect comment, Stewart is the female Keanu Reeves. She is ok as long as they don't give her to many lines to screw up.

Theron was amazing.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #4931
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

The Artist 8/10 -- Really surprised by this one. After a big meal at Can Can down Cary Street in Richmond, I was ready to snooze through this silent movie. However:

1) Best silent movie since Mel Brooks made Silent Movie 30+ years ago.
2) The nightmare sequence early on is the best use of sound in an otherwise silent movie since Brooks had Marcel Marceau deliver the only word in his film.
3) Since Roseanne went off the air, John Goodman has gone on to become a great actor, while Roseanne Barr has gone back to being a $2 hooker except she can't get two bucks for a BJ anymore.
4) The dog should have been name 'Asta' instead of The Dog.
5) Movies need more heroic terriers these days.
6) If you are a fan of old movie sound tracks, remembering which classic movie the music came from is fun.
7) Seeing this film in the historic Byrd Theater is way more fun than a megaplex.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #4932
fpres
High School JV

Caught a pair of movies in the theater this weekend and watched a couple through Netflix...

Prometheus - 8/10 - I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this one, but I was entertained. Great visuals. Strong performances by Rapace and Fassbender. After discussing a few things with some of the people I saw this with, I think I have a better handle on some of the points which were confusing me initially.

Chernobyl Diaries - 2/10 - When you have at your disposal the entire Chernobyl story and the aura that goes along with the Russian countryside, you just can't drop the ball like this. Boring and predictable.

Coriolanus (2011) - 9/10 - This probably isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I thought this was a brilliant film.

Shame (2011) - 8/10 - Another Fassbender flick. Very well done albeit uncomfortable to watch at times.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #4933
chadritt
High School Varsity

Safety Not Guaranteed- 8/10 - small movie that I think is in less than a dozen theaters so far. If you like the trailer I think you will like the movie. A couple of bits that reek of "Indie" but otherwise I really enjoyed it. A lot of clapping at the end in my packed theater
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #4934
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My wife had the perfect comment, Stewart is the female Keanu Reeves. She is ok as long as they don't give her to many lines to screw up.

Wow...I was saying the exact same thing the other day about her. We were flipping through & one of the Twilight movies was on a movie channel and I said "She is the female version Keanu Reeves. She is the same personality in every role & can barely be relied on to utter more than 3 words at a time".

Funny...but I guess not that surprising that somebody else would notice the same thing.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #4935
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Always late to the party when it comes to movies:

Bridesmaids (2/10): This movie sucked big time. I'm going to sound sexist when I say this but women just don't understand funny or comedic timing. The exception seemed to be the lady that was in the Drew Carey show. I thought she had the only really funny moments. I only watched this because someone was raving about how great it was; he usually has good taste so maybe he was playing a joke on me.

The Hangover (9/10): Now this is what a comedy should be. It was great, raunchy and unpredictable (that was the last thing I was expecting when he opened the trunk).

Avatar (8/10): I may be letting how spectatular the movie looks sway my vote a little. If it didn't look that nice I would probably go somewhere around 5-6.

Couple's Retreat (2/10): I would gouge my eyes out before watching this again. Couldn't even make it all the way through.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #4936
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Bridesmaids (2/10): This movie sucked big time. I'm going to sound sexist when I say this but women just don't understand funny or comedic timing. The exception seemed to be the lady that was in the Drew Carey show. I thought she had the only really funny moments. I only watched this because someone was raving about how great it was; he usually has good taste so maybe he was playing a joke on me.

The Hangover (9/10): Now this is what a comedy should be. It was great, raunchy and unpredictable (that was the last thing I was expecting when he opened the trunk).

Comedy is probably the most subjective genre out there.

I liked the Hangover well enough. I enjoyed it overall and loved some small moments and lines, but overall I thought Bridesmaids was funnier.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #4937
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I bought into the hype that was The Hangover. I found it rather overrated. There might have been 1-2 genuine humorous points. I laughed far more watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #4938
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Wow, I loved this movie from beginning to end. I liked The Hangover, but this was insanely funnier and had more depth. Also, what lady from The Drew Carey Show are you talking about?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #4939
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Wow, I loved this movie from beginning to end. I liked The Hangover, but this was insanely funnier and had more depth. Also, what lady from The Drew Carey Show are you talking about?

Im guessing he means Melissa Mccarthy.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #4940
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Im guessing he means Melissa Mccarthy.

Yeah I figured he was mixing up Melissa McCarthy and Kathy Kinney, but just wanted to make sure.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #4941
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I really liked Bridesmaids also. It went a totally different direction than I thought and I enjoyed it. Wigg did a great job of playing a down on your luck type character struggling watching a friend change and have good things happen for them.

I can only assume EF is talking about the Mike and Molly lady and confusing her.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #4942
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I saw Prometheus last night, too.

Right now, I'd give it about a 7/10. Aside from Avatar, I think it is the best use of 3D for a film that I have personally seen (and btw, did anyone else get "The Great Gatsby 3D" trailer -- really, a 3D movie about The Great Gatsby?). Beautiful environment, scenery, set, costumes, etc.

I'm nicking it for some of the suspensions of belief and some of the open-ended stuff that they never seemed to get around to closing (stuff that was not designed for a sequel). Also, seemingly random use of Guy Pearce (who I really like).

Spoiler

JK:
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith44

Spoiler

JK:
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
100% agree. nothing in this movie made sense. i asked every single question you did when i got out. i don't even get the plot:

Spoiler

also, NOTHING david did made sense. also:

Spoiler

4/10. it looked cool at least.

In a nut shell...the plot (not the subplot) is to find the origins of humans and their creator/creators.

The subplot:
Spoiler

JK:
Spoiler

Upon further reflection, there is one other nagging problem I have with the movie...the music just didn't fit in some places. It's not a perfect movie by any stretch, but, it's a very entertaining one.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #4943
korme
Go Reds

Finally got around to seeing Ides of March (2011): 8/10.

A little bias here, it was shot in my hometown of Cincinnati so all of the little references to places around the city got me giddy everytime. From a story standpoint though, I loved it and thought Giamatti/Hoffman/Clooney were great as usual. Gosling was solid but some of his scenes I didn't buy. All around, a good flick that kept me interested all the way.

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011): 6/10. Twenty minutes in, I thought this was going to be one of my favorite movies from last year, but, the story kind of dragged and I found myself losing a bit of interest toward the end. It was a very compelling plot, but there were hardly any groundbreaking moments, or anything that changed the course of the show.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #4944
korme
Go Reds

If anyone could post their thoughts on Tree of Life, I'd be interested. I'm thinking about picking it up tonight.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #4945
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It was good, but very philosophical. Don't expect a traditional narrative here, but more like vignettes demonstrating the difference between grace and violence. And you have random nature show like part that's just inserted into the movie (it has a point, but at the time it doesn't feel like it).

If you aren't philosophically or theologically inclined, don't get it.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #4946
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
If anyone could post their thoughts on Tree of Life, I'd be interested. I'm thinking about picking it up tonight.

see it. because no one can describe it.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #4947
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I figured he was mixing up Melissa McCarthy and Kathy Kinney, but just wanted to make sure.

i assumed that was the person; guess I assumed incorrectly. She seemed a lot likerr herr to me. Oh well, still she had about the only parts worth laughing at. Not just line but the delivery was spot on.

I guess that's why they make more than one movie. I still don't see what people thought was funny about it. It was like watching a chick flick that thought it was being The Hangover (infinitely more entertaining that Bridesmaids).

That plane scene was one of the most annoying scenes ever. Though again, the one that I thought was the Drew Carey woman did her best to save the scene.

Sorry, I just don't get it.

Oh well, life goes on.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #4948
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've seen both, and I'll join the camp that says Bridesmaids is waaaay funnier than The Hangover was.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #4949
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think both Bridesmaids and the Hangover are great.

The scene where Wiig's character gets the lemonade in her crappy car and doesn't want to like it still kills me (and i've seen it several times).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #4950
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I can't stand Wiig. Another TV Kristen/Kristin giving a bad name to us K's out here.

Bridesmaids reminded me of a boy movie crossed with a chick-flick. It had its moments, but wasn't anything near as good as boy movies without trying to appeal to girls.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote