Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #4801
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I know it's unlikely that NV will actually be the state that wins it for Clinton, but the Harry Reid machine has been pretty damn impressive ever since 2008.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #4802
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Old 11-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #4803
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Right wing media making far too much of a big deal over Jay Z dropping a few F bombs and N Words.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #4804
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like Trump's gains have definitely stalled at least the last day or two, which really should do it barring something quite unusual. Interestingly that isn't the case in the Senate where it's a virtual coin-flip right now; most likely scenario is a 50-50 split with Kaine breaking the tie as VP.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #4805
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Part of it is due to a less active board, but we also had more of a debate in 2008 because there were more people on McCain's side.

Don't underestimate the simple fatigue factor too.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #4806
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I would put this at the top of the list.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #4807
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
There are just so many better ways to impact an election than voter fraud. Maybe for small, low-level elections it's a decent tactic to swing a few votes and it's surely more of an issue when it comes to ballot petitions where it's just signatures, but actual voting in elections? Meh, the juice isn't worth the squeeze especially for a big election.

This. If people actually sat back and thought it through, they'd realize how ridiculous these claims are, which is backed up by the fact that there's been no cases of widespread voter fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Let's not get too carried away with "learning" from early voting turnout.

Exactly. Who remembers 2004? Of course that was more the exit polls showing a Kerry lead (as opposed to early voting), but still. It's not over until the Supreme Court picks a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just noticed the Obama vs McCain thread has more than twice the posts of this POTUS 2016. Wonder why but assume the changing demographics of this board.

Quote:
The board isn't nearly as active as it was 8 year ago.

Quote:

All of this. Back in 2008 there were a number of us happy to go back-and-forth for pages on various topics. Some of those folks aren't here anymore. A lot of us are busier than we were then. And a lot of the arguments are simply played out. And this hasn't been an election about ideas, anyway (not that I thought 2008 was, at the time, but....)
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #4808
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Secret service removes Trump from a rally in Reno. Suspect tackled to the ground by SWAT and secret service. Unconfirmed reports that he had a gun.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #4809
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Another Hillary sponsored attack. At least I assume that is how the media will spin it... they would be quick to assume that if the same thing happened with a Hillary event that it was a pro-Trump sanctioned attack so they MUST use the same logic when it is reversed...right...

(disclaimer: I hate them both and wouldn't waste a second being upset if both of them were eliminated as they are both worthless)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #4810
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Trump took a meaningful drop on PredictIt between Thursday and Saturday. He was up in the 33-36 range across a few parallel markets, but this morning is now selling at 28-29. That's a big move considering there wasn't really an accompanying "event" to speak of.

There were some Friday morning polls that looked good for Ds, but it wasn't anything clear or long-lasting. That might be the most unexpected move I've seen in the markets this entire cycle.

My best guess is it's just a correction - that he sort of outkicked his own coverage a bit with a week or so of relative calm (from the candidate himself), and that things just regressed to the mean a bit.

I had bids in to buy D/HRC/woman/Kaine at 63c, but the market never got to that point, and I obviously missed the big money-making opportunity there. I had the right idea, but wasn't aggressive enough (or was too greedy, if you prefer).

Markets continue to drop Trump...down to 24-27c after another day of decline. Same speculation about reasons behind it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #4811
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Another Hillary sponsored attack. At least I assume that is how the media will spin it... they would be quick to assume that if the same thing happened with a Hillary event that it was a pro-Trump sanctioned attack so they MUST use the same logic when it is reversed...right...

(disclaimer: I hate them both and wouldn't waste a second being upset if both of them were eliminated as they are both worthless)

If you find it so objectionable, don't do it.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #4812
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Will be interesting to see what exactly transpired. No permit is required in Nevada to open carry.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #4813
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Will be interesting to see what exactly transpired. No permit is required in Nevada to open carry.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-05-2016 at 09:21 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #4814
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Right, left, outer space, whatever ... some props for the Secret Service details of both major candidates this year. It can NOT have been an easy gig.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #4815
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sidebar here, but kinda related so I'll throw it out:

Twice in the past hour people have mentioned to me that Monday is a day with particularly high security concerns (i.e terrorist type stuff).

I hadn't heard a word of that previously, though I've been in a vaccuum more than usual for several days due to a sudden bout of work.

Is this info "a thing", and I'm just horribly out of the loop, or are ya'll wondering wth I'm talking about?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #4816
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Sidebar here, but kinda related so I'll throw it out:

Twice in the past hour people have mentioned to me that Monday is a day with particularly high security concerns (i.e terrorist type stuff).

I hadn't heard a word of that previously, though I've been in a vaccuum more than usual for several days due to a sudden bout of work.

Is this info "a thing", and I'm just horribly out of the loop, or are ya'll wondering wth I'm talking about?

US Intelligence warned of a possible Al-Queda attack Monday November 7th.

Sources: U.S. intel warning of possible al Qaeda attacks in U.S. Monday - CBS News
Old 11-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #4817
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sources: U.S. intel warning of possible al Qaeda attacks in U.S. Monday - CBS News

Fair enough. I'll consider that definitive enough to declare myself vacuum brained & unaware.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #4818
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

http://https://mobile.twitter.com/ma...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Yeah, just a misunderstanding, surprised there haven't been more to this point.

Last edited by Ryche : 11-05-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #4819
Jas_lov
College Starter

Even if he did have a gun he would just be exercising his 2nd amendment rights. No need to panic.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #4820
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Even if he did have a gun he would just be exercising his 2nd amendment rights. No need to panic.

Raising one in the general direction of a presidential candidate is likely a bad idea. Reckless conduct if nothing else.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #4821
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Oh great, I'm travelling so I guess I'll leave 30-40 min earlier.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #4822
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Latest Senate projection(from 538): 50.2% Dem control, 49.8% GOP. That's ... pretty close.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #4823
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thought I'd post this as well since it's gotten some discussion around here, for those interested in the projects. This is Nate Silver on why the uncertainty is so high in his model this time around:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateSilver, fivethirtyeight.com
In some ways, our fundamental hypothesis about this campaign is that uncertainty is high, with both a narrow Trump win and a more robust Clinton win — in the mid-to-high single digits — remaining entirely plausible outcomes. The polls-plus model, which gives Trump a 36 percent chance, is basically the same one that gave Mitt Romney just a 9 percent chance on the eve of the 2012 election, so it isn’t inherently so cautious. But the still-high number of voters not committed to either Trump or Clinton — about 13 percent of the electorate says it’s undecided or will vote for a third-party candidate, as compared with just 3 percent in the final 2012 polling average — contributes substantially to uncertainty.

So does the unusually broad swing-state map, with the outcome in at least a dozen states still in some doubt. And it’s important to remember that the outcomes in each state are correlated with one another, so that if Clinton underperforms her polls in Wisconsin (for instance), she’ll probably also do so in Minnesota. Forecasts that don’t account for these correlations are liable to be overconfident about the outcome. It isn’t hard to find examples of candidates who systematically beat their polls in almost every competitive state, as President Obama did in 2012 and as Republican candidates for governor and senator did in 2014.

And that’s before accounting for some of the factors that the model doesn’t consider: the disagreement in the polls, the unusual nature of Trump’s candidacy and the demographic changes it is producing, Clinton’s superior turnout operation, the possibility of “shy Trump” voters, the fact that the news cycle is still somewhat fluid headed into the final weekend, the declining response rates to polls, and the substantial number of high-profile polling misses around the world over the past few years. We think this is a good year for a forecast that calls for more caution and prudence.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #4824
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Thought this was a good read. Basically Silver points out that Hillary likely has better odds than his formula says. Tough to gauge results with early voters being so high.

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/fiv...u-nate-silver/
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:25 AM   #4825
mckerney
Coordinator

Trump had asked if he was a plant paid by Clinton and told the crowd to, "take him out."

Last edited by mckerney : 11-06-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #4826
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

NYPD Weinergate blah blah blah stupid

I don't post this because I buy anything this article says (from Breitbart...of course), but I simply had to post it for the ridiculous UIC herein.

First of all, Weinergate? Is that really a thing they're calling this now?

And, oh yea, sex island.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:08 AM   #4827
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Trump had asked if he was a plant paid by Clinton and told the crowd to, "take him out."

It's easy to believe he was a paid plant, but if so I wouldn't want to put money on whose plant he was.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #4828
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
It's easy to believe he was a paid plant, but if so I wouldn't want to put money on whose plant he was.

He's been a registered Republican since 2011. That's a pretty long con to pull.

Regardless, this is a dumb story. Looks like someone thought he had a weapon and yelled "Gun" (the same people who want open carry ironically). This caused the secret service and others to panic. He was rushed out and sent on his way.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #4829
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump's campaign cancelled a rally to be held in Green Bay today, which I thought was a bit odd given their need to turn the state to him, and then I heard the reason why...the Packers are playing at the same time as the rally. Which if they had a better ground game, they probably would not schedule one at all, or at a better day/time for them.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #4830
Jas_lov
College Starter

The final DM Register poll has Trump up 7 in Iowa, 46-39 so that looks like the best bet for a Trump flip. Dems have a 42K lead in early voting with about 40% of the vote in but that is down from the 63K lead they had in 2012.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #4831
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Trump's campaign cancelled a rally to be held in Green Bay today, which I thought was a bit odd given their need to turn the state to him, and then I heard the reason why...the Packers are playing at the same time as the rally. Which if they had a better ground game, they probably would not schedule one at all, or at a better day/time for them.

Instead he's going to Minnesota, where he has even less chance than he does in Wisconsin, and he'll be there during the Vikings game.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #4832
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting mailer the other day from the Michigan Republican Party. The only affirmative thing it says is 'Be a Voter'. Nothing positive about Trump; in fact he is nowhere mentioned or pictured, nor is Pence. You literally couldn't tell from it who the 2016 Presidential Candidate of their party is. It has only two basic messages: go vote GOP and anti-Clinton stuff. Darndest thing I've ever seen, but perhaps a reflection of the political environment we are in.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #4833
mckerney
Coordinator

They're not the only ones leaving Trump off campaign materials.

Minnesota's Trump snub: 3rd District Republicans don't include presidential nominee on sample ballots | MinnPost
Old 11-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #4834
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Instead he's going to Minnesota, where he has even less chance than he does in Wisconsin, and he'll be there during the Vikings game.

shocking! They seem to think they have a chance in Minn according to their own polls, only have Clinton ahead by 3, which are probably as faulty as their ground game.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #4835
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Makes me wonder which Republican will get the most write-in votes. I've seen McCain and now Rubio mentioned. Probably Kasich gets some too.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #4836
Zinto
College Starter

Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #4837
mckerney
Coordinator

Trump is bragging about winning a high school poll in Minnesota, so I guess that explains why he came here.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #4838
mckerney
Coordinator

Anti-Semitism from a campaign run by Steve Bannon, a man who didn't want his kids to go to a school because he thought too many Jews attended? I can't believe it.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #4839
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How crazy has PC culture become when you can't even suggest that Jews are controlling the media and global finance?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #4840
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How crazy has PC culture become when you can't even suggest that Jews are controlling the media and global finance?

You can't even complain about the (((global elites))) without SJWs getting outraged these days.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #4841
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Take THIS, PC Culture. New ad released today will SHUT DOWN THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #4842
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The FBI is saying the new Clinton email scandal is a nothingburger. Will anyone care?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #4843
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nope. You either believed it was a nothingburger to begin with, or you believe that Comey either caved to political pressure (like Newt is already saying) or was bought off.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #4844
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Nope. You either believed it was a nothingburger to begin with, or you believe that Comey either caved to political pressure (like Newt is already saying) or was bought off.

Pretty much this.

The only people I'm inclined to mock a bit are those who idiotically believed that anything was going to land on HRC from this round. The (former?) Mrs. Weiner? Maybe. But Hils? That was a less than zero chance. It didn't even make much sense to expect it would.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #4845
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Clinton up to -640 (from -400 this morning) at my Sportsbook.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #4846
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

She is obviously above the law, that is no surprise to anyone. Hopefully karma will show up soon.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #4847
cuervo72
Head Coach

What I don't get with this idea is where this source of untouchable power came about. Yes, the Clintons are good at networking, good at playing the political game, and from what her fans say, good at listening (and remembering). But the insidiousness? It's not like these two came from anything, especially Bill. He's a hick from Arkansas! It's not like they still have a huge power base or political machine set up there, unlike politicians who have been entrenched in a location forever (Reid? The Daley family?) I don't think they set anything up in NY. Washington sure, but it's not as if there aren't red power bases there. And they have TONS of enemies. Even within the party it wasn't enough to hold off an unknown one-term Senator. I don't get where this ability to bribe everybody comes from.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-06-2016 at 08:27 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #4848
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
She is obviously above the law, that is no surprise to anyone. Hopefully karma will show up soon.

it would have but your karma is currently being run over by your dogma. :P
Old 11-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #4849
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, this is my old field of work (somewhat) so I can explain how it perhaps was done so quickly.

People are right that it would be impossible to review tens of thousands of emails one at a time to determine their National Security level and possible information within.

They wouldn't need to for a vast majority of them.

Using either a "hash" of the message or an email-id of the messages discovered on the device used by Huma Abedin (and in the possession of Anthony Dickhead, I mean, Weiner). they can compare it to emails already reviewed as part of the email server investigation. If the hash/ID already matches, they know they don't have to review it.

That would DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of emails that they needed to check to go through this investigation.

The company I worked for (EMC, now part of Dell) sold huge data storage boxes for this kind of thing, under that kind of principle, where if you have a amount of the same file saved across different locations (say your sales database), you just need one copy, with pointers to it from the other places, so all you have to do is track what's CHANGED, not what's the same. Then, during off hours, you merge the changes into the main file, and you're ready for the next day (that way, if you have a disk failure or what have you, you only have to rollback a small amount of changes, which are then done from recent backup)

edit: If you want to read more about point in time copies, and the like, here. Fair warning, it MAY melt your brain https://www.emc.com/collateral/softw...nwldgbk-wp.pdf

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-06-2016 at 09:09 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #4850
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It's crazy that I think just about any other Republican candidate could have beat Clinton in this election. The GOP picked the one guy who couldn't.