Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #4801
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm not trying to let off Posada, I'm just saying Carlson deserves a suspension as well because we was trying to get something going by baiting Posada. He was trying to get Posada's goat and get him to snap first.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #4802
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sorry, what did Carlson do to bait Posada? Did he elbow him? Nope, that was Posada. Did he talk smack to him? Nope, that was Posada.

If anything, Carlson should be reprimanded by Cito for not plunking Posada and only firing a warning shot after Hill, their best player, got a heater in the spine.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #4803
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Regardless... 3 games for each has been handed down.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-16-2009 at 05:41 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #4804
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Or was in position on the play for a potential throw to home? He was there long before Posada who was the one who threw the (weak) shot that blew up the situation.
He was standing on the 1B side of home plate on a throw from RF. If he was backing up the throw, he'd be on the 3B side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Now, now, come on, you know tonight's result is not representative of how these two pitchers have generally performed.

It is, however, sadly representative of how the bunch of chokers from Anaheim again continue to play like crap against the Red Sox, in addition to making rookie and inconsistent pitchers look like Cy Young.
Aaaahhhhh, Red Sox baseball: 6 shutout innings from Dice-K and multiple bunts to score the winning runs.

FWIW, you can pretty much throw Dice-K's results from earlier this year out. Not that I have much hope in him being great going forward (I swear when the count goes 0-2 I can FF through 3 pitches and see the full count) but he was injured/tired from the WBC.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #4805
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He was standing on the 1B side of home plate on a throw from RF. If he was backing up the throw, he'd be on the 3B side.

Okay I can't find a clip that shows the route Carlson took to get to where he was standing at the point Posada runs into him, but the point is, he's around home plate because he should be there defensively. In no replay have I seen Carlson make any movement towards Posada as he runs by and bumps Carlson and I have yet to see Carlson make any physical motion towards Posada, or so much as tip his head or move his lips.

It's not even the bump that seems to get him riled up as there is a delay between the bump and him turning. I'm guessing it's something Posada said but it may just be Carlson processing who it was/what just happened. Either way, I'm still failing to see how Posada running into Carlson after scoring a run is Carlson baiting him.

Especially given that Posada was the one to "warn" Carlson after the pitch went behind him following, as Johnny said, the Jays best position player getting plunked.

If either team/player were initiating things here, it's on the Yankee's side. It's bad enough that Carlson got suspended as well, but to try and suggest that Posada is some sort of choir boy in all of this is absolutely absurd. Had the order of events been reversed I can only imagine the accusations that'd be flying in the Jays direction at both the pitchers and Cito.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #4806
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Nice lil Jays/Yanks brawl.

Posada is a little bitch.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #4807
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Posada is a little bitch.

I'd say that pretty much sums it up.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #4808
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I love watching Daniel Murphy play defense.

There's also an exciting ninth inning in San Fran going on.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #4809
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

For obvious reasons, the Angels-Red Sox game was extremely frustrating for me as a fan.

That said, as a baseball fan, what a great game to watch.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #4810
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Rockies hold out to win 4-3

I'd written the Braves off last week but their six game winning streak has given me a glimmer of hope once again. They probably need to win 13-14 out of the 17 remaining games to have a chance.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #4811
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That game was a huge microcosm of the Giants' entire season. Horrible lineup construction, terrible substitution decisions, and veteran players who are making far too much money failing miserably in key situations. Just when you think the Giants are completely out of it, they pull you back into believing they can do it...only to fail spectacularly in the end.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #4812
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
For obvious reasons, the Angels-Red Sox game was extremely frustrating for me as a fan.

That said, as a baseball fan, what a great game to watch.

Every time I turned the TV on the Angels choked. I started watching with 1 out and bases loaded the first time, came back with the bases loaded the second time and then decided to watch the final out

I still can't believe we didn't pick up any bullpen help before the deadline. When the Sox can throw out Saito, Ramirez, Delcarmen and Okajima in the middle innings and we are basically praying we can get to the 8th so we can go with Jepsen and Fuentes again (who are both pretty damn shaky) that really shows how the playoffs are going to go unfortunately.

Two pretty terrible umpiring calls in the Green at-bat. Pretty clear the ump didn't have the balls on the full count call, that was easily a strike. But can't have any complaints, the game shouldn't have even been in question at that point anyway. And was it just me or should Rivera have made the play on the game winning hit?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #4813
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Two pretty terrible umpiring calls in the Green at-bat. Pretty clear the ump didn't have the balls on the full count call, that was easily a strike. But can't have any complaints, the game shouldn't have even been in question at that point anyway. And was it just me or should Rivera have made the play on the game winning hit?
Ball 4 was a joke, but I thought they got the check-swing call right. At worst, it was 50/50 - definitely not on the level of the ball 4 call. Rivera's effort was atrocious. You've got to at least dive for it if you're not going to run full-speed. Overall, I'm just glad for your and CR's sake this game happened in the regular season when both teams were up 6+ games and not the ALDS. That would have been the type of excruciating playoff loss that sticks with you in the offseason, but regular season you can brush it off.

Wild Card's all but sewn up. A simple 9-9 the rest of the way and Texas would have to close 15-2 (along with LAA going 11-8 with at least 5 losses coming to Texas.) If anything, LAA is now the team that should start worrying about the Rangers.

Also, Toriiiii Hunter has some very aggressive postgame quotes regarding his teammates - Torii Hunter Calls Out Halos for 'Choking' -- MLB FanHouse We'll see how that turns out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Okay I can't find a clip that shows the route Carlson took to get to where he was standing at the point Posada runs into him, but the point is, he's around home plate because he should be there defensively.

In no replay have I seen Carlson make any movement towards Posada as he runs by and bumps Carlson and I have yet to see Carlson make any physical motion towards Posada, or so much as tip his head or move his lips.

It's not even the bump that seems to get him riled up as there is a delay between the bump and him turning. I'm guessing it's something Posada said but it may just be Carlson processing who it was/what just happened. Either way, I'm still failing to see how Posada running into Carlson after scoring a run is Carlson baiting him.

Especially given that Posada was the one to "warn" Carlson after the pitch went behind him following, as Johnny said, the Jays best position player getting plunked.

If either team/player were initiating things here, it's on the Yankee's side. It's bad enough that Carlson got suspended as well, but to try and suggest that Posada is some sort of choir boy in all of this is absolutely absurd. Had the order of events been reversed I can only imagine the accusations that'd be flying in the Jays direction at both the pitchers and Cito.
No one - certainly not me - is suggesting that Posada was a choir boy, or really anything less than a complete douchebag. That being said, it doesn't matter what route Carlson took, he's standing near the 1B dugout as the throw from RF goes towards the 3B dugout. If he wasn't trying to antagonize Posada by where he stood the Blue Jays should suspend him for 3 games and send him to XST to relearn fundamentals.

EDIT - Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this whole "Suspended for 4 games, but reduced to 3 when they agreed not to appeal" thing is new right? I mean, either they weren't suspended for 4 games or they made a deal - aka "appealed" it - down to 3.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-17-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #4814
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good pitching matchup tonight. Greinke vs. Jackson.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #4815
Logan
Head Coach

Green definitely held up by the slimmest of margins, but if I was that 1B ump I would've punched him out based on his guilty reaction alone.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #4816
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Good pitching matchup tonight. Greinke vs. Jackson.

Day game- 1:05am ET

Something to listen to at work today

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #4817
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Day game- 1:05am ET

Something to listen to at work today

SI

Ah, glad you said something. I hadn't looked at the start time. I'll be listening to the Gameday audio at work today. Thanks.

Though I would note that it's probably a 1:05 PM start time.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-17-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #4818
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Greinke SHOULD pick up a win. He left the game after 5 innings and 77 pitches with an 8-0 lead. Guess the pitching duel didn't pan out so well for Jackson.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #4819
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He left after 5 because he took a really hard Miguel Cabrera line drive off his throwing arm in the 4th. If he weren't going for the Cy Young, he'd have been out then and there.

Zack's line for the day:
Z. Greinke 5.0 3 0 0 2 8 0 1.06 2.14

SI

Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #4820
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
He left after 5 because he took a really hard Miguel Cabrera line drive off his throwing arm in the 4th. If he weren't going for the Cy Young, he'd have been out then and there.

Zack's line for the day:
Z. Greinke 5.0 3 0 0 2 8 0 1.06 2.14

SI

Fantastic stuff from Zack. He's really been a great spark along with Butler for an otherwise dismal team. I noticed as of yesterday that the Royals had no regulars hitting over .300. Terrible.

On a somewhat brighter note, Aaron Crow signed a major league deal yesterday. It will start next year. Buster Olney (ESPN) said that Crow will be given every opportunity to be in the Royals rotation next year right out of the gate.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #4821
RedKingGold
College Starter

Although it's only been the Nationals and Mets, Philly pitchers have been absolutely unhittable this week. It'd be nice to have this thing pretty much wrapped up before we play the Marlins.

Also, the Chan Ho Park injury is a blessing in disguise. He actually hasn't been that bad for us this year since moving out of the rotation, but the Phillies have the weird problem of having too many pitchers.

Despite the Park injury, I still expect Moyer to be left off the post-season roster. Just too many guys now (especially with Romero and Condrey about to come back)

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-18-2009 at 08:39 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #4822
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I hate Jason Varitek - 2 straight games he gives up a late go-ahead run on a 3rd strike passed ball. I'm gonna be so mad if(when) he starts postseason games over Victor Martinez. Speaking of Martinez, he's on one of those odd hitting streaks - 17 games, but only 22 hits over that span.

Other good news, Clay Buchholz 6IP 1ER, ERA down to 3.49 now. His BB and K numbers haven't been good, but watching him his stuff does look great recently. Keeping the curve/changeup down.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #4823
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Felix is keeping the pressure on Greinke. 9 IP, 1 ER, lowered his ERA to 2.45 and picked up win #16 when Ichiro homered with 2 out and 1 on to beat Mariano Rivera and the Yanks in the bottom of the 9th...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #4824
Bad-example
College Starter

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic(AP)—A baseball prospect for the San Francisco Giants is the main suspect in the killing of a 25-year-old man in the Dominican Republic, police said Sunday.

Angel Villalona turned himself in 12 hours after the man was shot at a bar in the southern coastal city of La Romana, Col. Adrian Urbaez told The Associated Press.

“The Giants were disappointed to learn that there was an incident in the Dominican Republic last night in which an individual was killed and one of our minor league prospects, Angel Villalona, may have been involved. We will monitor the situation closely and trust that the judicial process in the Dominican Republic will resolve the matter promptly and fairly,” the team said in a statement released Sunday.

Villalona was signed by the San Francisco Giants in 2006 and received a club-record $2.1 million signing bonus. He played in 74 games with a Giants minor-league team this season, batting .267 with nine home runs and 42 RBIs.

The 19-year-old was considered the Giants’ most prized prospect when he signed and was chosen the top prospect in the Arizona Rookie League two years ago.

Frank Micheli, president of the Azucareros del Este - Villalona’s winter baseball team - said he was aware someone was killed but that he had no further details.

Villalona will appear in court Monday and could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty in the Saturday night killing of Mario Felix de Jesus Velete, police said.

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #4825
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Villalona? Dammmmmmmmmnnnnnnn. Between this and Ugueth Urbina I hope we're not seeing a trend.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #4826
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

He'd only be 41 when he gets out of prison...
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #4827
dervack
College Prospect

Cubs have suspended Bradley for the rest of the season.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #4828
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post

Or 39.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #4829
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post

SI

Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #4830
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Sad state of affairs, the Villalona thing. Hopefully it's nothing, but it sure looks pretty awful.

As do the Giants' playoff chances. Sigh.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #4831
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Or 39.

That whoosh you heard was either the joke going over your head, or the Giants' playoff hopes as they went rushing by the 13th story on their way down.

You be the judge.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #4832
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That whoosh you heard was either the joke going over your head, or the Giants' playoff hopes as they went rushing by the 13th story on their way down.

You be the judge.

I guess it was 'A'. Was it a "South American prospect is probably 2 years older than we think" joke?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #4833
lungs
Pro Rookie

Who wants to sign the first prospect out of the country Andorra?

For those too lazy to click on the link, Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman has established residency in Andorra and will likely be a free agent soon.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #4834
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Who wants to sign the first prospect out of the country Andorra?

For those too lazy to click on the link, Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman has established residency in Andorra and will likely be a free agent soon.

Early word is that the Yankees, Angels and Dodgers are the frontrunners to sign Chapman. The Yankees make sense and Chapman has said he would like to play in Southern California.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #4835
Terps
College Prospect

I'm still pretty certain the O's aren't getting to 65 wins this season. They sit at 60 right now and have a rough stretch to end the season. Matusz and Reimold have been shutdown, and Tillman will probably be shut down after his start tonight.

On a positive note, it's nice to see Matt Wieters finally turning it on since being moved the the three spot in the lineup. Over his last ten games he's hitting .333 with a .947 OPS, and his defense has been much improved (he threw Carl Crawford out twice attempting to steal the other day, only the second time that's ever happened in his career.)

Edit - They're in line for the third pick in the draft right now.

Last edited by Terps : 09-21-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #4836
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Early word is that the Yankees, Angels and Dodgers are the frontrunners to sign Chapman. The Yankees make sense and Chapman has said he would like to play in Southern California.

Big shock the Yanks are interested. If they sign him, I hope like hell he turns out better than Kei Igawa.

BTW, is "Chapman" a Cuban name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #4837
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Crazy game in Kansas City tonight. Ugly, rainy, messy game but definitely crazy and fun

SI

Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #4838
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Matusz and Reimold have been shutdown, and Tillman will probably be shut down after his start tonight.
Why did Reimold get shut down?
Quote:
Crazy game in Kansas City tonight. Ugly, rainy, messy game but definitely crazy and fun

SI
18 walks combined through 7.5. RS have 7 walks, 11 singles and 1 extra-base hit.

Tomorrow night, Paul Byrd vs. Zach Greinke. Reverse lock!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #4839
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Byrd's 17-11 (3.90 ERA in 228 IP) might be the best for a Royals SP in recent memory until this year. Kindof sad actually.

According to some pundits' logic, tho, that was better than Zack this year since he only has 14 wins (oh, and a 2.14 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 210 IP, 224K, 44BB, and a 204 ERA+).

I'm a bit worried about tomorrow, tho. If he's still showing ill effects from taking that scorcher off his arm from Cabrera last start and gives up some runs, I'm sure all the CC lovers in the media will be down on him in a heartbeat about how it's so much harder to pitch in the AL East and how he'd be so much worse there (never mind that Sabathia's opponent OPS is .752 for the season while Greinke's is higher at .754)

SI

Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #4840
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nolan's had a solid rookie campaign. Nice to see someone from my area(he went to the Catholic school here in town) do well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #4841
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And I can't believe the Bucco's are actually going to be bad enough to lose 100 games. Somewhere along the line here, it just all went to shit. Even if they traded nobody, I still think they were looking at 90 losses.

Hopefully Garrett F'n Jones wins NL ROY, he's had a good campaign at least.

I don't think the Pirates can catch the Nats though. Anyways, I doubt the Pirates would sign/draft Bryce Harper anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #4842
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Somehow the Royals have put together an 11-3 string and picked up win 62 tonight. One more win avoids 100 losses which, I guess, is something. But with this hot streak, they've moved ahead of the Indians (by a half game) for 4th in the central and up (down?) to the 5th draft pick for next year.

I'd kindof rather have #2, I think, and not all this fool's gold in September, tho. I hate to say it, but I think the winning last September made Dayton think they were a lot closer than they were. I'm also worried as he still thinks injuries derailed this team and not loading up the team with guys who can't get on base including 4 guys who start pretty much every night and can't get an OBP of .300 (Olivo, Yuneifi, Jacobs, and Anderson with Bloomquist at .313 batting 1/2 most nights and .314 Guillen starting until he predictably got hurt)

SI

Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #4843
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
I'm still pretty certain the O's aren't getting to 65 wins this season. They sit at 60 right now and have a rough stretch to end the season. Matusz and Reimold have been shutdown, and Tillman will probably be shut down after his start tonight.

That O's team has the potential for a pretty good offense. Unfortunately, there's the pitching- what happened to Guthrie this year? He looked like a real good young pitcher and this year it just fell apart.

SI

Old 09-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #4844
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I guess it was 'A'. Was it a "South American prospect is probably 2 years older than we think" joke?

That was the vibe I got off of it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #4845
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Somehow the Royals have put together an 11-3 string and picked up win 62 tonight. One more win avoids 100 losses which, I guess, is something. But with this hot streak, they've moved ahead of the Indians (by a half game) for 4th in the central and up (down?) to the 5th draft pick for next year.

I'd kindof rather have #2, I think, and not all this fool's gold in September, tho. I hate to say it, but I think the winning last September made Dayton think they were a lot closer than they were. I'm also worried as he still thinks injuries derailed this team and not loading up the team with guys who can't get on base including 4 guys who start pretty much every night and can't get an OBP of .300 (Olivo, Yuneifi, Jacobs, and Anderson with Bloomquist at .313 batting 1/2 most nights and .314 Guillen starting until he predictably got hurt)

SI

I'd agree with that. We seem to have a strong September every year, which makes the leadership think we're turning the corner. We obviously have not turned the corner.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #4846
lungs
Pro Rookie

Casey McGehee doesn't get enough love for NL ROY, in my opinion. I won't say he should win it, as there are other deserving candidates but I think McGehee being a waiver wire pickup and not being a top prospect works against him.

.303/.366/.503 15 HR 61 RBI

He's batting behind Prince Fielder, so he won't pick up as many RBI. Just a solid year. Astute pickup by Doug Melvin. Now if only he had an eye for some pitching.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #4847
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He definitely should get some love in the press, but in a year where Tommy Hanson is pitching as he is, it'd be hard pressed for him to get all that far.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #4848
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I don't think Hanson is going to run away with the award at all. Happ, McCutchen and Coghlan are all great competition for him.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #4849
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

They Yankees are 8-23 in Anaheim in their last 31 games against the Angels in SoCal. Fucking pathetic.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #4850
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

Not sure which team is melting down more right now, the Tigers or the Yankees. They both have had their pitching take a dump the past few weeks.

Quote: