Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #4701
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Many Democrats complained that election was stolen in 2000(Bush v Gore),2004, and to a lesser extent in 2016.

In 2000 the GOP SCOTUS members literally decided to stop counting ballots and make GWB President, so there was a good argument there, but even so, Gore and a vast majority of elected Dems said it was over and Bush won shortly after the SCOTUS decision.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #4702
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Looks like Psaki is going to be headed to MSNBC for a new gig at some point in the next month or two.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:51 AM   #4703
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Gas prices, too!

SI

And I haven't successfully hit on a coworker since Biden became president!
Old 04-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #4704
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Looks like Psaki is going to be headed to MSNBC for a new gig at some point in the next month or two.

Going to miss her destroying Doocey
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:06 PM   #4705
RainMaker
General Manager

One thing that bothers me about Democrats is they never choose the narrative at elections. They are terrified to ever take a stand on something. We know the midterms will be about CRT or LGBT or El Salvadorian gangs. Whatever culture war issue the Republicans choose, it will be what Democrats have to talk about throughout the campaign.

Which got me thinking about the marijuana bill that passed the House today. What if the Democrats took a hard stand? What if they made the midterms about this? There are a ton of angles for it too. It generates tons of revenue, it reduces the power of gangs, it's a reform of the criminal justice system. Play the freedom card for all I care.

Support for legalization is incredibly popular (68%). It's at 71% among independents. Heck, even Republicans are 50/50 on the topic. You'd crush with young people at the polls and people who don't normally come out to vote. You would be moving the narrative away from all the failures of the previous 2 years. It would put the Republicans in a position where they have to defend an unpopular position.

The only time in recent memory I can remember Democrats picking an issue and running on it was the Georgia Senate. Both candidates really slammed home "if we win, we're getting a big stimulus check". It worked. People supported the guys who took a stance on a very popular position.

I know the bill will bomb out in the Senate. It'll be swept away and forgotten in a couple weeks. They'll sit back and get slaughtered in November and maybe that's what they want in the end. But if they ever had an ounce of courage, this would be a fascinating issue to run on and something the Democrats could actually make gains with. Not saying they'd win, but I think it might save a few seats and help in downballot races where you need some motivation to come out and vote.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #4706
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In 2000 the GOP SCOTUS members literally decided to stop counting ballots and make GWB President, so there was a good argument there, but even so, Gore and a vast majority of elected Dems said it was over and Bush won shortly after the SCOTUS decision.

Yeah, there have been a number of studies of the ballots that showed if they kept counting, Gore would have won under every conceivable scenario. The justices of the supreme court who love states rights decided that states rights didn't quite apply in this case for some reason.

They lost in 2004 and 2016. Maybe you could argue that 8 hour voting lines and such hurt them enough to swing an election. But they ran some shitty candidates who proceeded to run shitty campaigns. And 2016 falls more on the fact we have a moronic system where the 2nd place person wins because we really loved slavery back in the day.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:25 PM   #4707
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere
Many Democrats complained that election was stolen in 2000(Bush v Gore),2004, and to a lesser extent in 2016.

Nope, nothing to *remotely* the same degree. Yes, there were people who said that. There will always be people who say things like that, but not 'many Democrats' in the sense of anything close to a majority of them. There weren't widespread completely groundless lawsuits to throw out certified electors in multiple states.

Bush-Gore is a completely different scenario in terms of how close the election was, but even there you had one push in one state. You did not have groundless lawsuits in many different states trying to throw out evident results. Nothing in 2004 or 2016 is even remotely comparable to 2020. After Bush-Gore you didn't have anything like January 6 of '20.

There was far more of 'ugh, I can't believe so many people voted Dubya' - in other words, I accept that they did, but they're idiots etc. Now we have 'no way 80 million voted for Biden' 'the election was stolen' etc. It's a completely different animal.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:28 PM   #4708
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Americans' takeaway: Biden is such a bad president that he's making inflation go up EVERYWHERE

Americans have never thought that logically collectively. See Obama and the 'fierce urgency of now', with a mandate to fix the economy (never mind that no President has the power to do that, never mind logical assessments of why/how it broke).

Presidents get blamed and credited for situations they don't control all the time. It's dumb, but it's also fairly equal-opportunity. Modern democracy has no answer to this problem.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:54 PM   #4709
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP made it clear today that if they are in the Senate majority they won't ever even hold hearings for a Dem SCOTUS nominee.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:13 PM   #4710
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess it won't be long before you see direct placement where the advise and consent portion is simply ejected. That would be the next logical step in that situation, would it not?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #4711
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dems have never placed a nominee on SCOTUS while the GOP has held the Senate. The only difference now is that the GOP admits it. (GOP presidents have gotten 12 Justices confirmed by a Dem Senate since 1900).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:49 AM   #4712
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I guess it won't be long before you see direct placement where the advise and consent portion is simply ejected. That would be the next logical step in that situation, would it not?

No Senator is going to give up the opportunity to grandstand in front of the cameras.

It's all for show now, anyway. When was the last set of hearings to have an impact on the final vote? Bork's? Miers never made it to hearings before having her nomination withdrawn.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:27 AM   #4713
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And Miers was a really weird one. She was nominated by a GOP President and then forced to withdraw due to GOP Congressional pressure. So it wasn't an inter-party dispute.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #4714
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
No Senator is going to give up the opportunity to grandstand in front of the cameras.

It's all for show now, anyway. When was the last set of hearings to have an impact on the final vote? Bork's? Miers never made it to hearings before having her nomination withdrawn.

You could make the argument that the president, who we know is responsible for putting people on the SC, could simply bypass the Senate, sending them to the Senate for hearings could be argued as 'optional' and then you simply have direct appointments. is that better? No, it's not, because now the SC becomes completely and totally political, and that pretty much is the final nail in democracy in the US. But it is the next logical step on the way there, imo.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #4715
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You could make the argument that the president, who we know is responsible for putting people on the SC, could simply bypass the Senate, sending them to the Senate for hearings could be argued as 'optional' and then you simply have direct appointments. is that better? No, it's not, because now the SC becomes completely and totally political, and that pretty much is the final nail in democracy in the US. But it is the next logical step on the way there, imo.

Don't know what the legalese is but don't think Senate approval is optional?

Quote:
The Constitution requires the president to submit nominations to the Senate for its advice and consent
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #4716
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As someone else posted, up until Brandeis, there were no hearings. I'm not sure exactly what went on, but given the short timings from nomination to approval back in those days, it sounds more like a quick consultation than anything, maybe to push back on obviously unqualified candidates (like, ironically, what happened with Miers)?
Old 04-05-2022, 01:20 PM   #4717
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Student Loans: White House extends payment pause through August

I'll bet anyone $100 that this payment pause will be extended again until at least after the election.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #4718
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Obama referring to Biden as Vice President was some next level trolling. Well done.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #4719
RainMaker
General Manager

Who could have seen this coming?

Old 04-06-2022, 11:45 AM   #4720
molson
General Manager

Of all the debates, including within parties, about student loan cancellation, I don't remember anyone coming up with Biden's solution - just put them in forbearance indefinitely and keep extending the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do this through the next presidential election. It's a very Biden-esque solution that has avoided, so far, a big court battle that they might lose.

I paid on mine a little in the last two years, but, I think I'll just let them sit there until I have to pay now. Inflation reduces the effective balance every day, it makes more sense to put money into retirement accounts and home improvements, and it keeps that hedge in case of actual cancellation wiping them out someday. And at this rate I'll probably die with a student loan balance without ever having to pay them off completely, so, that's nice too.

Last edited by molson : 04-06-2022 at 12:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #4721
RainMaker
General Manager

One of the best solutions would be to allow student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy like every other debt. I know Biden spearheaded that rule because he loves predatory banks, but he could do a 180 and propose eliminating it.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #4722
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Our country really is fucked. We literally have hours of Trump saying the dumbest most nonsensical shit on tape yet the right will cling to a 13 second vide to show faux outrage over Bidens "cognitive decline"

Old 04-06-2022, 12:21 PM   #4723
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Is that really brutal? That is me at like any social function.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #4724
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, that looked more like, "I'm going to go talk with Obama...oh, he's busy, I'll come back later."

I guess the "cognitive strong" approach would've been for him to bogart his way into the group and start talking?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #4725
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Our country really is fucked. We literally have hours of Trump saying the dumbest most nonsensical shit on tape yet the right will cling to a 13 second vide to show faux outrage over Bidens "cognitive decline"

It really is completely stupid, some on that side eat up every dimwitted, non-sensical thing Trump says, yet they find a short clip that they can use to reflect Biden as being in a confused state and blow it up as
"proof" he has lost his ability to think. Pretty sure everyone of us who has been at a large social function has had a moment like this.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #4726
molson
General Manager

I find that the awkwardness of those moments is mitigated if you're carrying around a snack or drink.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #4727
Atocep
Coordinator

JD Vance accused of racism over new campaign ad in which he asks ‘Do you hate Mexicans?’ | The Independent

If you haven't seen JD Vance's new ad its...something...

The ad is embedded in the article and if you didn't know better you'd think it's satire.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #4728
RainMaker
General Manager

Isn't it better to just say it instead of using a bunch of dogwhistles?
Old 04-06-2022, 02:21 PM   #4729
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you see the next ten seconds of video it's clear he's perfectly normal.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #4730
RainMaker
General Manager

This is really weird.

https://apnews.com/article/us-secret...b7c52794d202b2
Old 04-07-2022, 06:13 AM   #4731
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The big questions are who were they working for and why?
Old 04-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #4732
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

How in the living fuck are you a Secret Service agent and have some random person offer to pay for your apartment and that does not raise any red flags?
Old 04-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #4733
Edward64
Head Coach

They posed as Homeland Security but yeah, you would think Secret Service personnel would know better for sure. And article said it was some USPS investigation unit that broke it, weird.

Quote:
Prosecutors said four Secret Service employees were placed on leave earlier this week as part of the investigation.

The plot unraveled when the U.S. Postal Inspection Service began investigating an assault involving a mail carrier at the apartment building and the men identified themselves as being part of a phony Homeland Security unit they called the U.S. Special Police Investigation Unit.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #4734
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
They posed as Homeland Security but yeah, you would think Secret Service personnel would know better for sure. And article said it was some USPS investigation unit that broke it, weird.

Ha!

Imagine sitting in federal prison and someone asks who busted you.

Was it the FBI? Secret Service? CIA? ATF? IRS?

And then you cry as you respond

Nope, it was the Post Office.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #4735
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Ask for your raise if you haven't already. This is probably the best labor market you've had in your life and might ever have again.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #4736
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Lindsay Graham taking off his tie so he couldn't go onto the floor to vote gainst Judge Jackson is just too perfect.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #4737
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats to Biden on a nice SCOTUS win.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #4738
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Congrats to Biden on a nice SCOTUS win.

I guess but it is a pretty sad day in our nations history. She should have been a unanimous vote instead she was attacked for no other reason then to score political points.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-08-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #4739
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I guess but it is a pretty sad day in our nations history. She should have been a unanimous vote instead she was attacked for no other reason then to score political points.

Have to go back to the Reagan days.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #4740
Ksyrup

What's sad to me is not just the partisanship but trying to score political points about Biden promising to choose a woman over other qualified candidates when Trump and Reagan did the same. It's as if history - even recent - doesn't exist or can be rewritten and instantly believed in real time.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #4741
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For those of you interested in the history: U.S. Senate: Supreme Court Nominations (1789-Present)
Old 04-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #4742
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola, interesting that up until Nixon a lot got confirmed by a voice vote only.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:50 PM   #4743
Ksyrup

Perhaps Rand Paul and Lindsay Graham were just honoring the old voice vote system by hiding in the cloakroom instead of being on the floor to vote no.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #4744
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The big questions are who were they working for and why?

They had ties to Pakistani intelligence and had traveled to Iran. Prosecutors said the secret service agents had been compromised as well. At first I thought it was just some rich guys who wanted to cosplay as secret agents, but this might be a bit more dubious than we thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...ecret-service/
Old 04-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #4745
Atocep
Coordinator

Also in the Ohio Senate primary we have Mike Gibbons running on the "middle class doesn't pay enough taxes" platform.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #4746
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum

Unanimous vote is a pretty darned extreme expectation. In a country as polarized as ours where we don't even agree on what the proper function of law is, what the job of a judge or justice should be, that's just not happening even if everyone in Senate was a responsible statesperson.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:42 PM   #4747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Also in the Ohio Senate primary we have Mike Gibbons running on the "middle class doesn't pay enough taxes" platform.

his last name is appropriate.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #4748
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They had ties to Pakistani intelligence and had traveled to Iran. Prosecutors said the secret service agents had been compromised as well. At first I thought it was just some rich guys who wanted to cosplay as secret agents, but this might be a bit more dubious than we thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...ecret-service/
These guys are probably going to get a slap on the wrist, likely because the Secret Service tipped them off before the DOJ could investigate them thoroughly. This look like a train wreck, and possibly a straight cover up.
A Tipoff By The Secret Service Blew Up The Federal Probe Of Alleged Imposter Duo | Talking Points Memo
Old 04-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #4749
Atocep
Coordinator

DeSantis wasn't happy with the congressional maps proposed by state legislature so the state legislature gave Destantis the authority to create his own map.

This is what a lot of GOP want. One person to pledge fielty to while they sit in an easy job with little responsibility or authority.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:24 AM   #4750
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Being homeless doesn't have to be bad. It worked out okay for Hitler.