Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #4701
bronconick
College Starter

Interesting. For some reason I thought Stanford was the PAC-10/12's Duke equivalent where they were routinely against any kind of expansion every time.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #4702
Swaggs
Coordinator

With Notre Dame and Texas supposedly forming a budding relationship and the Big East obviously wanting to get into Texas, I find it hard to believe that the Big East would not let Texas put its non-football sports in the Big East.

I must confess that a big part of me really hopes that the Texas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Kansas to the Pac XX thing works out, just so I can see how this thread plays out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #4703
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So Saturday I turn on the TV around 3:45 and find exactly ONE college football game on, Alabama / Penn State. US Open tennis is on CBS, MLB baseball is on Fox, and I forget what was on the other network.

Check back around 7:15, and there are NO college football games on broadcast TV.

All this moving to ESPN, cable networks, and conference networks shown only on cable means very little college football watching for me.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #4704
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I watch broadcast TV for the local news, and that's about it.

I had no less than 4-5 games to watch at any point on Saturday. And that wasn't counting what I could watch on my computer, too. It was great.

If I had to watch only broadcast TV sports, I'd blow my brains out. The only thing worse than no baseball would be listening to Tim McCarver.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #4705
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Interesting, and almost certainly Pac-12 slanted. I find it really hard to believe that the Pac-12 is the only option for Texas - why wouldn't the Big "Ten" also be in play?

Texas still has plenty of options. . . there are major roadblocks to the Big10 though.Start with the Longhorn network competing with the Big10's own network. Throw in Nebraska and the pressure they will push for and the only way Texas goes to the Big10 is if it's on a 100% equality scale.

The Pac12 may budge a little bit on some of those things. I don't see the Big10 doing it at all.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #4706
miked
College Starter

I got to see UNC-RU on a local-ish channel (810 in HD for the Atlantans with comcrap). There were quite a few options on later in the day, but it was unusual with a full day of make-up tennis (usually it's just the ladies final).
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #4707
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Pac12 may budge a little bit on some of those things.

I don't think so. When Scott says the Pac-12 is perfectly happy as is I don't think it's just negotiating through the media. If Texas comes west it means the LHN is no more. And I'm not sure if that's a decision that's made in Austin or Bristol.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #4708
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
If Texas comes west it means the LHN is no more. And I'm not sure if that's a decision that's made in Austin or Bristol.

It is in the language of the contract that if Texas moves to a different conference, then the LHN is bound to the bylaws of that conference regarding member/conference networks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #4709
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It is in the language of the contract that if Texas moves to a different conference, then the LHN is bound to the bylaws of that conference regarding member/conference networks.

Right, and the Pac-12 has stated that they want to keep 100% ownership of their channels and no school can have a network of their own. So I don't see how the LHN, even in name only form, can exist in a Pac-16.

I know the thought was that the LHN just becomes the Texas region network, but how can Tech be an equal partner in "THE LONGHORN NETWORK"?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #4710
Ksyrup

LECN

The Longhorn Electrical Closet Network.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #4711
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Right, and the Pac-12 has stated that they want to keep 100% ownership of their channels and no school can have a network of their own. So I don't see how the LHN, even in name only form, can exist in a Pac-16.

I know the thought was that the LHN just becomes the Texas region network, but how can Tech be an equal partner in "THE LONGHORN NETWORK"?

there is also no way USC and UCLA, who just gave up their higher pay, with equal revenue will allow Texas to just come on in and get a bigger share than they do. It's the Pac-12 way or go away at this point for Texas.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #4712
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
there is also no way USC and UCLA, who just gave up their higher pay, with equal revenue will allow Texas to just come on in and get a bigger share than they do. It's the Pac-12 way or go away at this point for Texas.

But what about Oklahoma, which has gotten the highest amount of shared revenue in the Big 12 four out of the past five seasons? There seems to be this perception that Texas gets by far the biggest piece of the pie of the shared revenue in the Big 12, and that isn't the case.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #4713
MrBug708
Head Coach

Amazingly awesome rumor that is almost too good to be true but Starr told Boren to go F himself, and now if OU does stay, part of the deal is that Baylor is expelled.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #4714
Ksyrup

Is that done through some sort of impeachment proceeding?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #4715
bronconick
College Starter

win.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #4716
molson
General Manager

It's fun to look back at this thread at look at all the insider proclamations. My favorite was UConn confirmed as the #12 team in the big 10. And whatever happened to Rutgers "delivering the NYC market" to someone? Talk of "footprints" has declined about 50%, thankfully.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #4717
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's fun to look back at this thread at look at all the insider proclamations. My favorite was UConn confirmed as the #12 team in the big 10. And whatever happened to Rutgers "delivering the NYC market" to someone?
These and college football recruiting threads are always the best. Everyone knows someone who is never wrong about stuff who ends up being wrong in every prediction made in the thread.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #4718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I got to see UNC-RU on a local-ish channel (810 in HD for the Atlantans with comcrap).

That would have been the CW affiliate, WUPA-69. I wondered who the viewer was

The game did a 1.0 HH rtg in the ATL, managing to finish 4th among broadcast networks. Miss St-Auburn won the time period with a 6.8, the tennis drew a 2.5 for the whole day (closer to a 2.0 during game hours), followed by "Paid Programming" on WSB which got a 1.2

On the bright side, the ACC (syndicated pkg) game of the week did manage to beat on paid programming on the NBC affiliate, Access Hollywood/TMZ on the Fox affiliate and nipped the airing of Osmosis Jones
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #4719
Ksyrup

ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
Sources tell Orangebloods.com OU regents are unanimous in their desire to apply for membership to Pac-12

BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer
Exactly. RT @TravHaney: Texas sure wants it out there today that OU is ready to head to Pac-12.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #4720
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Texas still has plenty of options. . . there are major roadblocks to the Big10 though.Start with the Longhorn network competing with the Big10's own network. Throw in Nebraska and the pressure they will push for and the only way Texas goes to the Big10 is if it's on a 100% equality scale.

The Pac12 may budge a little bit on some of those things. I don't see the Big10 doing it at all.
Just to reiterate what others have said, there's 0% chance the Pac-12 budges on this. None. It was a fight just to get equal revenue sharing starting this year, and no way USC & UCLA accept a new member coming into the conference that is "more equal than others" after they conceded the revenue sharing issue.

Both the Big Ten and the Pac-12 and ESPN will figure out how to roll the LHN into their existing networks and continue equal revenue sharing if Texas decides they want to join up.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #4721
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I must confess that a big part of me really hopes that the Texas/Oklahoma/Missouri/Kansas to the Pac XX thing works out, just so I can see how this thread plays out.

I think it would play out well for those fan bases. Two huge rivalries stay intact and the hatred between those four schools on a North/South level would likely blossom even further than it already has both on and off the field. Mizzou obviously would consider the Pac-XX the third option after B10 and SEC in that order, but the SEC would be a much better option if KU came along rather than TT. Keeping the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi intact with a MU/KU would be a good thing. Add in the OU/UT match and you've got a lot to work with there while allowing some of the original Pac-8 to play each other more often.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #4722
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
But what about Oklahoma, which has gotten the highest amount of shared revenue in the Big 12 four out of the past five seasons? There seems to be this perception that Texas gets by far the biggest piece of the pie of the shared revenue in the Big 12, and that isn't the case.

Same for them too, but no one is talking/hearing a word about OU wanting a bigger share of the pie or wanting to keep a network for themselves either.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #4723
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Same for them too, but no one is talking/hearing a word about OU wanting a bigger share of the pie or wanting to keep a network for themselves either.

I haven't heard anything about Texas wanting a bigger share of the pie. That seems to be an assumption that is being taken as fact. It shouldn't be a roadblock, as it was Nebraska that wanted to keep the imbalanced revenue sharing in place at the formation of the Big 12. As for the network, it is also established that if they move conferences, then the bylaws of that conference will apply to bringing in the LHN. The contract already has those provisions in place.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #4724
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Update from Purple Cat on the B10 negotiations with UT, ND, and OU.......

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

Quote:
Conference Officials Meet; New Texas Faction Strongly Pushes for B1G Invite

Big Ten officials met today to discuss how the conference could and should accommodate both Texas and ND. In short, the conference believes that the membership of each school can be accomplished largely within the context of the terms presented. Some other interesting developments have taken place in the last few days.

Over the weekend, a new group of Texas stakeholders made a very aggressive push to the Big Ten conference to invite UT to the conference in the short term. The scenario proposed would involve the start of athletic competition in the conference by UT as early as 2012. This group did include official representatives of the university, along with other influential boosters. In response, the conference expressed the need to speak with only one consistent, designated group of UT representatives.

Separately, the more familiar UT representatives, who have conducted conversations with the Big Ten in the past, reaffirmed the approach that Texas should not initiate the breakup of the Big XII conference in order to join the Big Ten for political considerations. These representatives once again stated to conference officials that membership in the Big Ten conference (in accord with the terms presented last week) remains Texas' preferred conference affiliation option. The Big Ten also strongly impressed upon this group of UT representatives the need for university representatives to conduct conversations with the conference in one unified voice.

However, in discussions related to the terms presented, the Big Ten responded favorably. The Big Ten is preliminarily in agreement, particularly with the scheduling considerations and the "approximate" target date of 2014 for affiliation. The conference also strongly affirmed that it will not allow third parties, especially third party television networks not controlled by the conference or the universities, to dictate or strongly influence the terms of membership in the conference for either school. The conference expressed its displeasure with the manipulative reporting disseminated by certain television networks.

Conference officials believe that significant potential synergies exist between the Longhorn Network and the Big Ten Network. The officials expressed the belief that all of the expanded conference's stakeholders can achieve this potential with greatly reduced third party network involvement. Each network would gain significant opportunities to independently grow and expand together, under the control of the Big Ten Conference and its expanded institutional membership (and specifically NOT through control delegated to third party television networks). The super network that would result from this affiliation could dictate the terms of viewership in a way that ultimately benefits the mission of the expanded conference and its schools, along with their supporters. The Big Ten will remain open to any arrangement, including the formation of regionalized "Big Ten Networks," that ultimately achieve this goal.

Big Ten officials initiated conversations with Notre Dame stakeholders to keep them apprised of the discussions with both groups of Texas representatives.

Also over the weekend, a group of representatives from the University of Oklahoma again contacted the Big Ten regarding the potential for their own membership in the conference, in what was characterized as a "last ditch effort." The Big Ten once again respectfully informed that group that the Council of Presidents and Chancellors has already ruled out the addition of either Oklahoma school, primarily over concerns related to academic fit within the conference.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #4725
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Heard on KC radio that OU has Pac-XX expansion on the agenda for next Monday's Board of Curators meeting.

Also reporting that Mizzou Board of Curators kicked media out of tonight's meeting for an emergency executive session. Likely to discuss conference options.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-12-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #4726
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

A&M officially accepted. That may be why the sudden flood of meeting info......

SEC Expansion: Texas A&M Officially Accepted As Conference's 13th Member - SBNation.com
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #4727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Pieces are falling quick now. Local sports radio says OSU expected to have board meeting to vote on Pac-XX move 1-2 days after OU meeting. Both OU and OSU expect unanimous vote to move to Pac-XX.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-12-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #4728
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about Texas wanting a bigger share of the pie. That seems to be an assumption that is being taken as fact. It shouldn't be a roadblock, as it was Nebraska that wanted to keep the imbalanced revenue sharing in place at the formation of the Big 12. As for the network, it is also established that if they move conferences, then the bylaws of that conference will apply to bringing in the LHN. The contract already has those provisions in place.

That is why the whole thing fell apart last year. Tx wanted a bigger share (i.e. Their own network)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #4729
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sounds like UT has until the OU meeting on Monday to decide whether it's coming along to the Pac-XX. OU plans to go either way............

Report -- Texas Longhorns, Oklahoma Sooners officials meet - ESPN
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #4730
Ksyrup

So after the flurry of statements last night, what we're waiting for is OU to make a move. They may really want to go to the PAC-xx, but even if that's true, do they have to guts to be the team that puts an end to the Big 12. aTm is actually in a decent position right now, because without them, the Big 12 can still theoretically survive. If OU goes it would take OSU, and that's the end of the Big 12. So it will be interesting to see if they want to leave bad enough that they'll make the move to blow everything up.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #4731
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

LOL at Purple Cat.
“THIS JUST IN – According to supposed Big-10 insider on random Big-10 message board every team in America is begging the Big-10 to be part of the Big-10!”
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #4732
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So after the flurry of statements last night, what we're waiting for is OU to make a move. They may really want to go to the PAC-xx, but even if that's true, do they have to guts to be the team that puts an end to the Big 12. aTm is actually in a decent position right now, because without them, the Big 12 can still theoretically survive. If OU goes it would take OSU, and that's the end of the Big 12. So it will be interesting to see if they want to leave bad enough that they'll make the move to blow everything up.

It's surprising to me how big a deal it appears to be to every university that it not be the one that breaks up the Big 12. I mean, anyone following the situation (in other words, anyone who cares enough for the dissolution of the Big 12 to matter) knows that it's not any one school responsible, or at least at worst, UT with its network is mostly responsible. No matter who actually pulls the trigger, the underlying causes and responsibility lie with many universities and entities not affiliated with the conference.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #4733
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

It's only a matter of when at this point. SoonerScoop reported that the OU/UT meeting on Sunday was nothing more than a meeting to let UT know what they were doing and to allow UT a few days to decide what they're going to do. OU/OSU are gone. What UT does decides where Mizzou goes.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #4734
Ksyrup

Any rumors/info on whether the SEC is serious about sticking with 13, at least in the short term? My initial reaction is that's just posturing so no one can say they are actively pursuing #14. I can't possibly believe they would go with 13, even for 1 year.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #4735
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Big Televen went with an odd number for a while.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #4736
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Big Televen went with an odd number for a while.

The Big Televen was a one division conference.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #4737
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Any rumors/info on whether the SEC is serious about sticking with 13, at least in the short term? My initial reaction is that's just posturing so no one can say they are actively pursuing #14. I can't possibly believe they would go with 13, even for 1 year.

It's just posturing. The Auburn comment about moving to the East was a PR move to set the stage for the MU acceptance assuming they don't go to the Pac-XX. WV will jump in a heartbeat if MU goes west.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #4738
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's surprising to me how big a deal it appears to be to every university that it not be the one that breaks up the Big 12. I mean, anyone following the situation (in other words, anyone who cares enough for the dissolution of the Big 12 to matter) knows that it's not any one school responsible, or at least at worst, UT with its network is mostly responsible. No matter who actually pulls the trigger, the underlying causes and responsibility lie with many universities and entities not affiliated with the conference.

This cracks me up, too. Anyone remember what caused the Southwest Conference to die?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #4739
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another article discussing UT's options now that OU/OSU are basically gone. Amazing that UT has overplayed their hand so far to the point where they are left with no really good options assuming the Pac-XX holds firm on 'no LHN'.

Sources: Texas has three viable realignment options
Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #4740
Ksyrup

All this talk about Texas and the ACC has me concerned.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #4741
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
All this talk about Texas and the ACC has me concerned.

Just my opinion, but I think that UT is trying to push buttons to pressure Pac-XX into accepting some form of the LHN. Going to the ACC or even the B10 makes no sense at all.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #4742
bhlloy
Coordinator

If that is their strategy they are insane. A Pac-12 that can get Oklahoma regardless is going to tell Texas where they can stick their LHN. The only hope Texas has is remaining a package deal with Oklahoma and it looks like that ship might have sailed.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #4743
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This cracks me up, too. Anyone remember what caused the Southwest Conference to die?

SI

It's not like these schools give a shit about the Big-12; but they do give a very big shit about not becoming Ken Starr's next self righteous legal crusade.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #4744
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Another article discussing UT's options now that OU/OSU are basically gone. Amazing that UT has overplayed their hand so far to the point where they are left with no really good options assuming the Pac-XX holds firm on 'no LHN'.

Sources: Texas has three viable realignment options

C'mon? UT is "left with no really good options"? They may not get their perfect landing spot but I think they'll land comfortably on their feet

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #4745
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
C'mon? UT is "left with no really good options"? They may not get their perfect landing spot but I think they'll land comfortably on their feet

SI

Have to agree that it's pretty laughable that in MBBF's world Mizzou will be fine but Texas has no good options. I personally believe they both will come out ok (as will KU) but I am quite clear that in the pecking order... Texas >> Missouri.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #4746
Ksyrup

The point seems to be that Texas will have a hard time duplicating the deal they have now in terms of keeping the LHN and all the money it comes with. I don't see that as being too difficult to understand.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #4747
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

SI

ACC isn't a good option. Heavy travel.

Pac-XX is a great option, but Texas admin seems to be hell-bent on holding on to LHN. If so, that option isn't available.

Independent is good for football, but leaves the rest of the programs in a real quandry with no good options.

I agree that they'll land somewhere, but they could have done this in a way that allowed them MUCH better options right now than how this ended up. I'm not sure anyone has done any worse than Texas given the starting point of the schools involved.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #4748
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Have to agree that it's pretty laughable that in MBBF's world Mizzou will be fine but Texas has no good options. I personally believe they both will come out ok (as will KU) but I am quite clear that in the pecking order... Texas >> Missouri.

Anyone that can't see how Mizzou is in a much better position than Texas right now simply isn't paying attention. Mizzou has three legitimate options as far as a destination. All three have a TV budget that meets or exceeds MU's current take in the Big 12. That's very important because it doesn't require any budget cuts.

Texas has put itself in a quandary with the LHN. Their only really good conference option is saying no at this point because of the LHN. Assuming that stays, the other two options are two conferences that both are not a geographic fit and both cannot replace the current budget needs that the LHN income + current conference revenue allows. Independent causes problems for the rest of the athletic programs at UT. I'm not crying for them in any way, but this has been an extreme mismanagement (and misjudgment) of the situation by UT brass.

My guess would be that they finally bail on the LHN and head to the Pac-XX in the end. That's their best choice of what's left with the least risk.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #4749
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Anyone that can't see how Mizzou is in a much better position than Texas right now simply isn't paying attention. Mizzou has three legitimate options as far as a destination. All three have a TV budget that meets or exceeds MU's current take in the Big 12. That's very important because it doesn't require any budget cuts.

Texas has put itself in a quandary with the LHN. Their only really good conference option is saying no at this point because of the LHN. Assuming that stays, the other two options are two conferences that both are not a geographic fit and both cannot replace the current budget needs that the LHN income + current conference revenue allows. Independent causes problems for the rest of the athletic programs at UT. I'm not crying for them in any way, but this has been an extreme mismanagement (and misjudgment) of the situation by UT brass.

My guess would be that they finally bail on the LHN and head to the Pac-XX in the end. That's their best choice of what's left with the least risk.

Eh, as a Mizzou fan I don't think I am counting my chickens before they hatch. We are hardly high on the Big Ten's list, the SEC has several schools besides us dying to get in, and the Pac-10 would have to have a couple schools drop out before we get chosen. Obviously I want to end up in one of the three (actually outside of late tv I'm now hoping the Pac-10. Big Ten football bores me) but its less than a year since we were a "lock" for the Big Ten. (The first several hundred posts in this thread can refresh your memory on how that one went)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #4750
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Eh, as a Mizzou fan I don't think I am counting my chickens before they hatch. We are hardly high on the Big Ten's list, the SEC has several schools besides us dying to get in, and the Pac-10 would have to have a couple schools drop out before we get chosen. Obviously I want to end up in one of the three (actually outside of late tv I'm now hoping the Pac-10. Big Ten football bores me) but its less than a year since we were a "lock" for the Big Ten. (The first several hundred posts in this thread can refresh your memory on how that one went)

The Big 10 isn't even a consideration due to what went down last year. The SEC most definitely would include us when they expand to 16 (and probably even as a 14th). The Pac-XX would prefer MU over TT, but if UT goes, TT goes with them (which sends MU to the SEC). Third option is the Big East. Certainly not a terribly appealing option, but still an option.