Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #4651
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Honestly, if that's Manchin's stance, they should just wrap this up, vote, and move on. Anything else is just theater at this point.

Based on the little I have read about what is going on this week, all of it was just theater. That also seems to be the case for at least the last two SC confirmation hearings. It would probably be a good idea and be more of an efficient use of time to just vote on the nominee 30 days after the President has announced the nomination. Unless it is the theater is what we actually value.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #4652
RainMaker
General Manager

The confirmation hearing is a manufactured thing. The early part of the country they would just have a quick up-down vote on the nominee, usually the same day.

It changed when Brandeis was nominated because he was anti-monopoly and Jewish. A ton of money was behind smearing Brandeis. Kind of where we are at today.

I should add that KBJ has been pretty pro-busines as a Judge. Probably why you aren't seeing the kind of money being thrown in and accusations against her on that. Most of the opposition is based on her race.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #4653
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
McConnell's announcement is just a calculated political ploy. He knew Manchin was going to vote for her, that his vote wouldn't matter, and that it made far more sense to play to the base versus cast a yes vote that doesn't matter. This has nothing to do with consistency, or what he truly believes about her, or anything other than a pure political calculation. And TBF, it's how he's gotten where he is today.

Oh for sure, hence my moniker for him. Say what you want, but he plays the game as good as anyone, even though it is extremely transparent to anyone with a shred of critical thinking skills.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #4654
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The only guy whose opinion matters has spoken on the Jackson's confirmation:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/25/polit...ote/index.html
Glad the Prime Minister agrees.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #4655
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The confirmation hearing is a manufactured thing. The early part of the country they would just have a quick up-down vote on the nominee, usually the same day.

It changed when Brandeis was nominated because he was anti-monopoly and Jewish. A ton of money was behind smearing Brandeis. Kind of where we are at today.

I should add that KBJ has been pretty pro-busines as a Judge. Probably why you aren't seeing the kind of money being thrown in and accusations against her on that. Most of the opposition is based on her race.

God, just reading Brandeis's wikipedia page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Throughout his long public career, Louis D. Brandeis consistently pursued one major ideal: that of a liberal progressive society based on democracy and social justice. Brandeis early became convinced that the gigantic trusts which by 1900 had come to dominate large segments of American business not only were hopelessly inefficient in a narrow economic sense but also menaced the very existence of political democracy itself….[H]e sought to ameliorate what he called the “curse of bigness” and to establish a new industrial democracy based on a partnership between business, organized labor, and the public….He never challenged the fundamentals of capitalism itself; rather he looked back with nostalgic longing toward the vanished Jeffersonian notion of a self-regulated economic order characterized by competition among a great variety of small entrepreneurs

Also, this is why you notice none of these justices from either side of the aisle are anti-big business. And they all went to Harvard or Yale. Having someone like that on the courts now would be a minor miracle and they would never have enough power to actually exact change.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #4656
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Watching his speech right now, I'm wondering what are the odds that he's going to plagiarize part of an old Winston Churchill speech? Something like "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duty and so bear ourselves that Ukraine lasts for a thousand years men will still say, 'this was their finest hour'."
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #4657
Edward64
Head Coach

Thought it was a pretty good speech
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:42 AM   #4658
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thought it was a pretty good speech

Yes it was unless he isn’t your team like usual in this “country”.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #4659
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m at a bar having a couple beers while my daughter is in art class. Guy next to me has gone through the gamete with his buddy. Started by complaining about the saint peters players and coaches wearing BLM shirts. The complaining about the Mexicans working for his landscaping company having to be paid too much now he is, lord help me, saying what an awesome interview kid rock was on Fox and he loves him because he tells it like it is. Not enough beer.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #4660
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We need to somehow change the "tells it like it is" thing to "tells it like it was."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:15 AM   #4661
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was talking to another parent yesterday at the playground who is black and is a scanning tech at a hospital in Houston. She was telling me a patient came in the other day and told her "we're going to take back over and when we do, you're going to have to decide what side you're on". Apparently dude also told that to her Asian coworker but not the white one who also saw him. She said she's heard worse and just took it in stride.

I ask her how she processes this crazy stuff in real time with him right there. It sounds to me like he basically wakes up every morning, waiting for the Revolution to arrive. He even goes around, unprompted at his doctor's office, and is spreading tales of it like crazy. Either it's basically a veiled threat like "if you don't side with us, we're going to kill you" and he gets off on that power trip. Or he actually thinks he's doing them a solid, like "hey, they did me right here at the doctor's office so the neighborly thing to do is to warn them about this thing they don't know about and save them because they're one of the 'good ones'".

SI

Old 03-30-2022, 07:22 AM   #4662
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was it like this before 2016? Obviously these people always had these thoughts, but did Trump make it OK to say them out loud?
Old 03-30-2022, 07:43 AM   #4663
AlexB
Pro Starter

Trump, social media, parts of the mainstream media, education, societal imbalance… Trump is a reflection of a large proportion of society IMHO, not the cause of it
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:49 AM   #4664
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Was it like this before 2016? Obviously these people always had these thoughts, but did Trump make it OK to say them out loud?

That's my take. Obviously there's a variety of factors, as AlexB points out, but Trump was the catalyst. Finally, a politician who says the stuff out loud that all these folks want to say out loud. And that's why they love him.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #4665
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Guy next to me has gone through the gamete with his buddy.

Wait...what kind of bar was this again?
Old 03-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #4666
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wait...what kind of bar was this again?

Did anyone else need to look up the definition of "gamete"?
Old 03-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #4667
Flasch186
Coordinator

The movie US by Jordan Peele is the perfect explanation of the trumpets… that was misspelled but I’m leaving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:40 AM   #4668
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Did anyone else need to look up the definition of "gamete"?

I figured it was a talk-to-text error with "gamete" being used instead of "gamut". Or some spermutation of that.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #4669
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I figured it was a talk-to-text error with "gamete" being used instead of "gamut". Or some spermutation of that.

Yeah. I was typing at a bar on my phone with my sausage fingers.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #4670
GrantDawg

The numbers I am seeing for the mid-terms look bad bad bad.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:38 PM   #4671
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yup. Midterms will be a bloodbath. Which is kind of crazy. The Ukraine situation is going better than could have been hoped and that's without any commitment of American troops. Economy is growing at fastest pace since the 80s. Unemployment is at rock bottom. Wages are going up. COVID cases at lowest levels in a long time.

It is amazing how much gas prices seem to be what motivates people.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #4672
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The numbers I am seeing for the mid-terms look bad bad bad.

Likely, but every time the GOP gets in front of cameras and reminds people they're really only the party of rich, old white men it hurts them. KJB was the 2nd most popular Supreme Court nominee in recent memory and a non-critical nominee for majority yet they still tried to tear her down. The GOP would have really scored points with voters if they had showed a Supreme Court nominee could get bipartisan support. This one was set on a tee for them and they had to double down on nonsense. All they had to do was soft toss her a couple CRT questions and other popular GOP issues and move on with confirmation.

With that said, inflation and gas prices are killing Biden right now with voters.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #4673
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yup. Midterms will be a bloodbath. Which is kind of crazy. The Ukraine situation is going better than could have been hoped and that's without any commitment of American troops. Economy is growing at fastest pace since the 80s. Unemployment is at rock bottom. Wages are going up. COVID cases at lowest levels in a long time.

It is amazing how much gas prices seem to be what motivates people.

Wages may be going up, but slower than prices. Most people have less spending power.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #4674
GrantDawg

Gas prices, inflation and shortages. Those are things people can really feel every day.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #4675
RainMaker
General Manager

Child tax credit got pulled from a lot of people. An increase in wages is completely offset by inflation. Green deal bombed. The campaign promise of student loan help was abandoned. Voting rights are being stripped without any fight. And no one seems to be bothered enough to go after people who brazenly commit crimes.

At some point you actually have to do something to make people care about voting for you. Especially when Trump isn't on the ballot.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #4676
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The GOP taking Madison Cawthorn's coke and orgies comments and making them even worse is hilarious & absurd.

GOP leader McCarthy says Madison Cawthorn ‘lost my trust’ over ‘orgies’ and ‘cocaine’ claims

"After questioning, the GOP leader said that Mr Cawthorn now admits that “he thinks he saw maybe a staffer in a parking garage maybe 100 yards away,” adding that the congressman told him “he doesn’t know what cocaine is”."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:45 PM   #4677
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought Cawthorne was just lying but the way McCarthy made a big stink about the whole thing actually leaves me more suspicious. Like why on Earth does he care?
Old 03-30-2022, 10:45 PM   #4678
Atocep
Coordinator

I was curious and looked at Marjorie Taylor Greene's legislative history and she hasn't so much as cosponsored a bill that's passed house vote. She's also been a no vote on bills with less than 5 no votes three times. Yet she's raised 4 times the amount of the average House member for '22.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:19 AM   #4679
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I just saw that someone named "Peters" predicted that the Dems would hold the Senate. And, thinking that he was some sort of political science type, let my hopes get a little up.

Nope. Turns out that it is Democratic Senator Peters, who is leading the party's attempt to keep control.

Might be time to log off.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:00 AM   #4680
larrymcg421
Head Coach

PredictIt gives Dems a 25% chance to hold the Senate, 18% to hold the House.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-31-2022 at 08:00 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:48 AM   #4681
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

18% seems high. I would lay -500 easily the right takes it back.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:11 AM   #4682
GrantDawg

I'm trying to think of a scenario that could turn things around, but I am at a loss. It would take a major Republican scandal (but there have already been so many nobody cares anymore) or huge drops in consumer pricing. Even then, I don't know if there is a way to salvage the huge negatives that this extended bout of inflation has caused.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #4683
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a scenario that could turn things around, but I am at a loss. It would take a major Republican scandal (but there have already been so many nobody cares anymore) or huge drops in consumer pricing. Even then, I don't know if there is a way to salvage the huge negatives that this extended bout of inflation has caused.

I agree. With Trump, all things are possible for good or ill, which adds some inherent uncertainty to any prediction. And there is always the chance that there won't be one national mood change but a couple of independent implosions of GOP candidates in swing races for unrelated reasons.

But that is really really grasping at straws. I'd say that the House is 95%+ likely to go GOP and the Senate is ~90%.

Sigh.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:24 AM   #4684
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Bad things happen to D's they don't fight the narrative that it's their fault....when bad things happen to R's they blame on everything under the sun, with no explanations for how or why it's not their fault, it's just someone else's doing.

It's all in the perspective. D personalities love to explain why you're wrong 'help' you understand why it is this way....R's generally don't care if you know or not, they want to you know whose fault it 'truly' is.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #4685
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Agree. Can't think of anything Biden can do that will be enough.

I do think Biden has done okay domestically and pretty well internationally (other than for some specific quips) with what he was dealt with. I'm okay with a GOP congress and Biden probably will be also (to help manage expectations of the extremists).

The real question in my mind is will true Trump loyalists overwhelm Congress or will there be more "traditional" GOP.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:02 AM   #4686
PilotMan
Head Coach

Politicians and ultra rich donors (corporate and personal; private lobbyists) have ruined our government.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #4687
RainMaker
General Manager

The fact that the Dems are running ads bragging about a tax cut they just let expire is probably a bad sign for what they can run on this year.

I do think there will be a lot of establishment Dems who will breathe a sigh of relief after they lose. Can go back to complaining and raising money without any expectations.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:42 PM   #4688
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Those odds are probably as high as they are because there's still a long time till November. There isn't much most presidents can do even in good times to prevent losses in mid-terms, so I think too much is being made of this unless it turns into a total landslide (possible).

There have certainly been things that have gone very badly for Biden and the Democrats, but even if that hadn't happened, even if we didn't have inflation issues, they would *still* probably lose Congress. That could have been predicted at the latest when Biden's term *began*. 2024 is where the real question is. I think that will be the defining election of possibly the rest of my adulthood. Partly because it's a very open question how much the vote will even matter, how much abuse of power happens at the state level with elector certification, does the republic even continue to function, do we have a 'nuclear option' situation where both major party nominees show up to the inauguration expecting to be inaugurated, etc. We'll either take a step back from the brink at that point, or fall off the cliff.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-31-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #4689
RainMaker
General Manager

From what I've read, redistricting has been kind to the Democrats and they have been able to gerrymander away some seats. So that might play a role in it as well.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:59 PM   #4690
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think it has reached a point that no matter who wins in 2024, the majority of the people on the other team will firmly believe that the election was stolen.

That's not a statement that I think it will be stolen, just a statement about how deeply divided we are as a country and how different the narrative is depending on who you believe are the sources of not-fake news.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:17 PM   #4691
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty good rundown of the Hunter Biden laptop. Washington Post hired two skilled computer experts to go through it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...data-examined/

Seems the biggest issue is that so many people went through and tried to fuck around on the hard drive that it makes it really hard to verify what is real. They do seem to have a pretty good sense that the e-mails are authentic. Although it doesn't seem like there was much salacious stuff in them.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:20 PM   #4692
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I think it has reached a point that no matter who wins in 2024, the majority of the people on the other team will firmly believe that the election was stolen.

That's not a statement that I think it will be stolen, just a statement about how deeply divided we are as a country and how different the narrative is depending on who you believe are the sources of not-fake news.

And that's a huge win for the post-truth far-right. I can show where voter suppression is helping the GOP, just look at the data coming out of the TX primary, but there's literally no evidence of wide-spread fraud. To just write it off as both sides... gives the GOP what they are after.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:28 PM   #4693
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hard to predict the impact of ending Roe and a flood of abortion bans will do for November, but it's going to play a big role.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:52 PM   #4694
miked
College Starter

The trend will continue that the party with the least amount of votes will continue to rig the process to keep control. I mean, we've gotten to a point where dems need to win +6% or so to stay in power thanks to redistricting.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:04 PM   #4695
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

I don't think we have a good reason to think Democrats would do that. Republicans, yes. But the Virginia governor's race just as one example, they accepted the outcome. I think if Trump were to run again and beat Biden (or whatever), they'd be very, very angry. The #NotMyPresident protests would be a pleasant memory. But there's just no major movement on that side of the electorate to not accept the results of elections.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:49 AM   #4696
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I think we need to know more about your sources.

The difference is that Democrats are complaining about voter suppression, for which there is plenty of evidence, while Republicans are complaining about voter fraud, for which there is almost no evidence (and, LOL, many if not most of the cases involve fraud committed by Republicans).

For someone who successfully applies an objective and data-driven approach to football, which I appreciate, I have always been mystified by why you can't do the same for political topics.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #4697
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think we have a good reason to think Democrats would do that. Republicans, yes. But the Virginia governor's race just as one example, they accepted the outcome. I think if Trump were to run again and beat Biden (or whatever), they'd be very, very angry. The #NotMyPresident protests would be a pleasant memory. But there's just no major movement on that side of the electorate to not accept the results of elections.

Many Democrats complained that election was stolen in 2000(Bush v Gore),2004, and to a lesser extent in 2016.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #4698
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes, there was some noise in 2016 among House Dems but they couldn't get enough support from Senate Dems to make anything of it. And the vast majority of Democrat leadership acknowledged Trump's victory within hours/days of the election.

I think if Trump won again (fairly, without state election interference/help), there would certainly be anger but I think most of it (at least, the rational part) would be focused on the voter suppression laws and fears about what he will do as President. That said, when you have someone who so clearly attempted to illegally take the presidency 4 years earlier, I can't think of a better scenario for assuming fraud/illegality was the reason for his win, even if you can't find the evidence. So, I'm a little mixed on how loudly the Dems would proclaim that this must be fraud just based on past bad acts. It will certainly put them in a catch 22 to do so, without any evidence.

Just another reason why I hope Trump doesn't (or can't) run for president.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #4699
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Eurozone inflation soars to record 7.5 percent in March – POLITICO

Americans' takeaway: Biden is such a bad president that he's making inflation go up EVERYWHERE
Old 04-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #4700
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Eurozone inflation soars to record 7.5 percent in March – POLITICO

Americans' takeaway: Biden is such a bad president that he's making inflation go up EVERYWHERE

Gas prices, too!

SI