Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #4651
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Just heard an interesting report on an ESPN news show. One of the guests said that Veritek is notorious for calling a ton of fastballs and that's one of the reasons both Smoltz and Penny struggled. Neither have the fastballs to beat good hitters and once StL and SF had these guys change speeds more, they've been more effective (he also said a similar thing about Pedro in Philly).
I can see it with Smoltz, but I don't know what it has to do with Penny or Pedro. Brad Penny has thrown >70% fastballs for his career and was at 71.9% in Boston. If anything it was more Varitek relying on the curve and slider instead of the changeup for an offspeed pitch. Pedro's always been known for switching speeds and didn't exactly do poorly in Boston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, I think it was fanball where they were talking about those stats a few days ago and how he was just ridiculously unlucky and it was somewhat foolish to make a decision on such a small sample size.
If you're talking about his RS sample size, he was unlucky in that he didn't deserve an ERA in the high 8's, but his FIP was still around 5 and it was clear he wouldn't be able to go twice through an order in the AL postseason. Since he refused to go into the bullpen where he belongs, it made sense to drop him and his $35k/day for being on our active roster.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #4652
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What ESPN guy was saying is that AL teams rely much more on overpowering hitters in their pitching calls. Whereas the NL is more about changing speeds and keeping hitters off balance. It's why guys like AJ Burnett, Josh Beckett and a young Pedro can come over to the AL and do fine. But it's also why guys in their twilight tend to pitch better in the NL (not to mention you don't face a DH).

The scout they were talking to on ESPN stated that was a philosophical difference (esp when it comes to teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels).
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #4653
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I still don't think it really fits with Penny (who still throws very hard) or Pedro (who always changed speeds beautifully) but I can see the overall point.

As for tonight.... nothing like September baseball, where your team can go down 12-1 and replace 7 of the 8 defensive starters in the 5th inning.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #4654
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm starting to think these Angels are like the 1995 Angels. They're going to do whatever it takes to keep the Rangers in it. Tuesday they made Fister look like a star, and tonight it's Tejada. They haven't scored now in 26-27 innings now, and it's not like they're playing the Yanks-Red Sox.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #4655
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fruit basket from Angels to Trey Hillman now for not going to Soria when he had two different chances in the 8th.

Not only did he have a chance to start the inning. But he could have done it instead of going to Bale. Or after Bale injured himself. But no, Roman Colon gives up the (likely) game winning hit to Vlad.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #4656
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fruit basket from Angels to Trey Hillman now for not going to Soria when he had two different chances in the 8th.

Not only did he have a chance to start the inning. But he could have done it instead of going to Bale. Or after Bale injured himself. But no, Roman Colon gives up the (likely) game winning hit to Vlad.

SI

Yeah, tough luck for the Royals on Bale. Isn't Soria the closer? Or am I forgetting who your closer is?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #4657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sure, Soria's the closer but 2 on with 1 out in the 8th, up just 1-0 seems like about the most high leverage situation you'd see in the game.

SI

Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #4658
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, Soria's the closer but 2 on with 1 out in the 8th, up just 1-0 seems like about the most high leverage situation you'd see in the game.

SI

I would agree, except that's more saber-think than conventional wisdom. The traditionalists would only have Soria come out for the ninth.

This is one of those spots when I would lean to go with the sabermetric approach, but I'm not surprised to see Hillman go with the traditionalist approach (after all, most of baseball thinks this way).

Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #4659
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Plus they used Soria for a two-inning save the other day and he threw a lot of pitches, plus he's complained of feeling sore all season. I think they would have used him in the ninth but not in the eight.

The rest of the bullpen is a gas can. Too bad to waste the yeoman's work of Tejada filling in for Meche, who along with Bannister also has a sore shoulder. But it's OK 'cause the Angels are getting a can of Greinke whoop ass served to them tomorrow night!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #4660
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think it's time to just shut down Banny and Meche and decide what to do with Soria. Then, clean house with the training staff in the offseason so they can't do more damage to their arms.

SI

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #4661
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow should be a good one. Greinke versus Lackey.

One of Greinke's two losses when allowing two or less runs was against the Angels earlier this year, when he was (rarely) outdueled by Joe Saunders in a fantastic two-pitcher complete game 1-0 game. It would be fun to see another one like that tomorrow night (although Lackey needs to pitch like the Lackey of old to do it).

Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #4662
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I will say, I find the Rangers fascinating this year, especially since they are doing it with pitching. Millwood and Feldman have been very good and recently Hunter and Nippert have been excellent - and the bullpen has been lights out.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #4663
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I will say, I find the Rangers fascinating this year, especially since they are doing it with pitching. Millwood and Feldman have been very good and recently Hunter and Nippert have been excellent - and the bullpen has been lights out.

Yup, Rangers have been very good this year, and fielding a squad that is very much atypical of what they usually put out there. It's a testament to their re-focus on pitching.

I certainly don't want them to catch the Angels, of course, but I am rooting for them to get the wildcard.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #4664
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, same (I want Boston out of the playoff picture - got the Yanks out last year, now for Yankees Lite to get the same ).

Of course their hitting was supposed to be better. Kinsler is not doing so well from what the projections were on him and Salty was supposed to be the C that could hit (while Teagarden was the one who could field). Neither can hit, so Pudge was brought back!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #4665
Flasch186
Coordinator

I was at the Rays Tigers game and watched Rodney almost blow one....a great game, pitchers duel and good defense before things opened up in the 9th.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #4666
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I was at the Rays Tigers game and watched Rodney almost blow one....a great game, pitchers duel and good defense before things opened up in the 9th.

Has to be my fault. Needed to add some saves to my fantasy team, and, inexplicably, I found him just sitting out there. So I picked him up.

I also picked up Piniero on St. Louis, Felipe Lopez on whichever team he's on now, and Ubaldo Jimenez on COL. So if you're fans of these teams, I'm sorry in advance.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #4667
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would agree, except that's more saber-think than conventional wisdom. The traditionalists would only have Soria come out for the ninth.

This is one of those spots when I would lean to go with the sabermetric approach, but I'm not surprised to see Hillman go with the traditionalist approach (after all, most of baseball thinks this way).
The funny thing about this is this used to be the traditionalist approach until a confluence of things - Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan helped reshape bullpen usage in the late '80's and early '90's and the "Save" statistic gained currency around the game (and thus in the pocketbooks of closers).

Remember back when good relievers would pitch 100+ innings a year? When a guy like Gossage or Fingers or Sutter would be brought into a tight game in the 7th because it was a high leverage situation and then he'd finish the game from there?

I wonder if any other sport has seen the invention of a statistic result in managerial decision-making that goes against providing the best chances of winning the game...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #4668
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yup, Rangers have been very good this year, and fielding a squad that is very much atypical of what they usually put out there. It's a testament to their re-focus on pitching.

I certainly don't want them to catch the Angels, of course, but I am rooting for them to get the wildcard.
Don't want to see us again in October? (I don't blame you - it feels cliche at this point.) Plus I'm hoping Nolan goes all out and goes back to a 4-man rotation.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #4669
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Don't want to see us again in October? (I don't blame you - it feels cliche at this point.) Plus I'm hoping Nolan goes all out and goes back to a 4-man rotation.

Nope, not one bit!

I think we can beat the Red Sox (I always do). But if we just flat don't have to play them, I'm fine with that.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #4670
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Nope, not one bit!

I think we can beat the Red Sox (I always do). But if we just flat don't have to play them, I'm fine with that.
Angels... don't want to play them again.
Athletics were the Angels until 2005
Rangers terrify me this year, which leads to one inescapable conclusion: Dawgfan/Seattle Do Work!

(PS CR - If we miss the playoffs and Texas keeps playing well, you get to play at NYY then at Arlington. Not ideal )
Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 AM   #4671
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Angels... don't want to play them again.
Athletics were the Angels until 2005
Rangers terrify me this year, which leads to one inescapable conclusion: Dawgfan/Seattle Do Work!

(PS CR - If we miss the playoffs and Texas keeps playing well, you get to play at NYY then at Arlington. Not ideal )

As long as a trip to Fenway is not in the cards, I am fine with that. Besides, you may have noticed that, on those few occasions when we have managed to avoid you, we're kinda like what you guys are to us to the Yankees. They love seeing us in the postseason.

Texas has given us problems this year. Maybe Detroit will take care of them.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:48 AM   #4672
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Texas has given us problems this year. Maybe Detroit will take care of them.
Seriously. They've killed us, they've killed you - who's beating them this year? (Apparently Detroit, and to a lesser extent MIN, NYY and the NL.)
Old 09-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #4673
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Hey, quick question fellas.
I'm not a big baseball guy, but I love my Astros...

What happened last night?!?

And are we about to rebuild? or do we still have a chance to make some noise (over the next 2 years or so).
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #4674
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Phils aren't hitting for sh!t recently - I think it's like 11 runs in the last 7 games (with a winning record over them, but still). Cliff Lee's second bad outting in a row, so I don't know what's going on with that. Still, I thought the 'Stros were looking strong this season and you say they're going to rebuild? Seems odd to me, although I think last night was more of a confluence of factors than an indicator.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #4675
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Phils aren't hitting for sh!t recently - I think it's like 11 runs in the last 7 games (with a winning record over them, but still). Cliff Lee's second bad outting in a row, so I don't know what's going on with that. Still, I thought the 'Stros were looking strong this season and you say they're going to rebuild? Seems odd to me, although I think last night was more of a confluence of factors than an indicator.

Well... I say rebuild because Berkman, Lee are getting old, Oswalt is solid, but not getting younger.
They could be trade bait for some very solid prospects. We don't have any young guys from what I've seen, and it doesn't bode well from our future.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #4676
kingfc22
Head Coach

Nothing more disappointing than seeing Randy Winn in the lineup everyday. Guy is DONE!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #4677
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Its fucking pathetic that Bochy and Sabean insist on keeping the useless old farts around: Winn, Aurillia, Bengie - Buster Posey is our 2nd best hitter, Fred Lewis has the 2nd highest OBP, but no, they sit cuz fucking melonhead has a goddamn veteran fetish.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #4678
kingfc22
Head Coach

Love watching Uribe take those huge hacks
Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #4679
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Its fucking pathetic that Bochy and Sabean insist on keeping the useless old farts around: Winn, Aurillia, Bengie - Buster Posey is our 2nd best hitter, Fred Lewis has the 2nd highest OBP, but no, they sit cuz fucking melonhead has a goddamn veteran fetish.

Have you considered adopting Kansas City as an AL team. You can watch Miguel Olivo instead of Bryan Pena. Or Willie Bloomquist instead of trying out and seeing what Mitch Maier can do. Why check out Lenny DiNardo in AAA when you could run Bruce Chen or Sidney Ponson or Horacio Ramirez out there for starts. And let's not even get started on the Carlos Rosa problem.

SI

Old 09-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #4680
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Haha, I'm not willing to subject myself to that much misery SI. There are limits.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #4681
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'll be out seeing said Giants in about 3 weeks (26th vs the Cubs in San Fran)

That's going to be 6 parks in about 2 months this year (Yankee Stadium, Citizens Bank in Philly, Nationals Park, Camden Yards, the renovated Kaufman, and soon AT&T in San Fran)

SI

Old 09-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #4682
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Pac Bell / AT &T is an amazing park; love going there. I might come out for a game then; there's a few of us in the Bay Area I think.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #4683
NiteMaestro
High School JV

The Astros are winning again tonite??
What's going on here?!? :P
Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #4684
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Rays imploding last half inning and now that game is tied.

Speaking of imploding: Zack with 0 ER an 8 K's but left the game with it tied 1-1 after an unearned run scored in the 8th.

Z. Greinke 8.0 8 1 0 2 8 0 1.08 2.22

SI

Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #4685
NiteMaestro
High School JV

GO ASTROS!!! HELL YEAH!!!
(sorry... got a bit excited )
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #4686
RedKingGold
College Starter

Brett Myers will be closing for the Phillies within the next week. Book it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #4687
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Braves are pretty much out of it with that four game losing streak. They kept it interesting longer than I thought they would in April but then again I also thought the Cubs and Mets were going to be good.

Last edited by Big Fo : 09-05-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #4688
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tigs are on a nice roll, and just won their second straight road series after losing 10 in a row, beating Anaheim and Tampa at that. They're up 6 games in the Central right now but they have a few games with the Twins left that'll go a long way in determining the division.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #4689
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe today will clinch another losing Season for the Bucs. At least maybe Ohlendorf has established himself as a solid major league starter. 2.70 ERA since the break in 9 starts. Whip of about 1.2.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #4690
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

I had hoped Lidge had turned it around after his last couple outings and then he does that yesterday. It looks like he pitches well until he either gets behind a hitter or gets a runner on base. He looks totally f'd up in the head when that happens, like he's just waiting for it to come crashing down. I noticed that a couple weeks back when an error led to a baserunner; they showed him and his body language looked like he was already defeated. It's like he thinks that he has to be absolutely perfect or he will blow it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #4691
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I had hoped Lidge had turned it around after his last couple outings and then he does that yesterday. It looks like he pitches well until he either gets behind a hitter or gets a runner on base. He looks totally f'd up in the head when that happens, like he's just waiting for it to come crashing down. I noticed that a couple weeks back when an error led to a baserunner; they showed him and his body language looked like he was already defeated. It's like he thinks that he has to be absolutely perfect or he will blow it.

Hey, hey, ho, ho Lidge has got to go!

Having a closer who has more than 2 different pitches might be a good idea.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #4692
RedKingGold
College Starter

Sadly, I get the feeling that keeping Lidge as closer is financially motivated.

Removing him from the closer's role will likely cause Lidge to lose any effectiveness he has left, for the remainder of his time in Philly since that's what happened in Houston. With two more years on his contract, that's a pretty expensive gamble.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-06-2009 at 01:11 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #4693
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Having a closer who has more than 2 different pitches might be a good idea.
Mariano Rivera and his one pitch say "Hi!"
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #4694
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Not to restart arguments on its effectiveness, but FRAA has him as the 3rd best defensive outfielder this season. Plus his BABIP is 30-40 points below last year's. Not sure why Aurilia gets any starts though.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #4695
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Woo

17!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #4696
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not to restart arguments on its effectiveness, but FRAA has him as the 3rd best defensive outfielder this season. Plus his BABIP is 30-40 points below last year's. Not sure why Aurilia gets any starts though.

Are you talking about Winn? His BABIP is probably low because he can't make solid contact on anything. Watching his recent AB's is one of the more depressing things you can be forced to endure.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #4697
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(17 whats?)

SI

Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #4698
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Losing seasons.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #4699
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh.

SI

Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #4700
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, MLBN, I expect a bit more from you. They're talking about the Pirates and all agree that Pittsburgh is a small market. Then one of the morons goes on to say "Well, it doesn't affect the Steelers and the it doesn't affect the Penguins. There's something wrong with the Pirates." Yeah, the Penguins may not be your best example what with the bankruptcy and all. Never mind that they the other two sports have vastly different financial systems that even the playing field.

SI