Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #4651
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Hobo with a Shotgun - 3/10

Winkingly bad 70s exploitation homage. No amount of winking made it worth anything, though.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #4652
Logan
Head Coach

Crazy, Stupid, Love - 9/10 (if you're being forced into it by your woman); 7/10 (on it's own merit)

A movie titled like this that actually ends up entertaining is a massive hit for me. Great cast, plenty of legitimate comedy, and a couple nice surprises towards the end. Points lost because it definitely got a little long in the last third, plus one storyline just being too weird for me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #4653
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

The Help - 9/10

I read the book and thought it was excellent. The movie was phenomenal! An incredible cast that is sure to score an Oscar nomination or two (I hope the Academy is looking at you Viola Davis). At times, the movie will make you laugh, angry, and sad. As far as I recall, the movie remains quite faithful to the book. The Tykes highly recommend it!

Last edited by tyketime : 08-11-2011 at 10:09 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4654
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Hobo with a Shotgun - 3/10

Winkingly bad 70s exploitation homage. No amount of winking made it worth anything, though.

I finally gave up when the camera man made him eat glass. I'm sure I missed more carnage from that point forward but it was just so awful. I couldn't even hold out until the title became true. Still love Rutger Hauer tho.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #4655
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Watched Space Camp today. Even as improbable and campy as it was, for pure nostalgia I'd give it a 7/10.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 AM   #4656
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Drive - 6?/10

I'm going to have to revisit this rating, as I'm completely unsure of how I feel about this movie. It was not at all what I expected...though to be honest, I didn't give the movie much thought until we went. I went in assuming there would be a lot of driving and cool stunts. There wasn't. There were numerous excessively long pauses in the dialogue that crossed the line from dramatic to awkward, in my opinion. The movie is also gory to a nearly gratuitous degree; most, if not all, of the scenes in which gore happens (and there are several as the movie goes on) it seems to be completely unnecessary. It would have been the same movie with the gore happening off-screen.

That being said, the soundtrack was a bit different, and I enjoyed it. And the cinematography impressed me as well (disclaimer: I know next to nothing about cinematography). There did end up being a couple (I think exactly two) car "chase" scenes that were somewhat impressive.

Long story short - not what I expected, good story, weird pauses in the dialogue, excessive gore, good soundtrack and cinematography. Might bump it up to a 7 after some reflection, but right now I'm still trying to digest the difference between what I expected and what I got.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #4657
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Drive is one of the movies that critics love, but movie goers are lukewarm on. I'll likely see it via Netflix.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #4658
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I honestly think that if I see it again, I'd like it more.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #4659
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Caught Hot Tub Time Machine on Nexflix this weekend.

Really funny film. Just the right amount of taking itself seriously.

"It's so black. So impossibly black." Good stuff.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #4660
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Moneyball-- 8/10

And I might be underselling it. It's not an exciting movie or nothing, but it's an interesting watch. I think Brad Pitt did a good job with it, too, enough so that I eventually got over the fact that he's way too good looking to be Billy Beane.

It's not the kind of movie you lump with other well-liked baseball movies, like a Bull Durham or Field of Dreams. It's a different sort of movie. So not sure where to put it in among that group. I think those movies are more fun and/or emotional. Given its analytical subject matter, I think it's appropriate the Moneyball is abit heady and quieter, more introspective, although the script does a good job of humanizing the process Beane goes through in introducing sabremetric analysis to organizational baseball decision-making.

I also think it had an even bigger impact for me personally because I root for a team that was the antithesis of Beane's Moneyball A's teams, and that team in fact won the World Series in the year the film focuses on. So a bit of irony there.

I would recommend it for thinking man's baseball fans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #4661
rowech
Pro Starter

50/50 (8/10) -- Was a little slow in parts and some scenes felt a bit forced but overall, I thought it was a really good movie in showing someone go through cancer but at the same time keep their humanity. Joseph Gordon-Levitt should get an Oscar nomination for it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #4662
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Town. Ben is working on carving himself out a nice career as a screenplay writer and director. Somewhere in the 9-10 range just because at first glace I can't recall anything bad standing out.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #4663
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm with you.

My take on Rise Of The Planet Of Apes is that it's a really badly written, hacky story, but told and shot marvelously. If that makes any sense.

And the moment
Spoiler
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #4664
JediKooter
Coordinator

The Thing (Prequel) 4.5/10

This would have probably gotten a 6 out of 10, but...
Spoiler

I actually rather enjoyed the performances by the Norweigan cast and the others, except for Eric Christian Olsen - IMDb . Just a horrible actor (at least in this movie).

What did I like? It definitely had some scary moments for sure, that's hard to do nowadays. It was shot really well in my opinion and the story itself wasn't that bad. I'll leave it at that as to not give away anything.

As for what I didn't like? I'm sorry, but, a good portion of the digital effects just weren't up to snuff. I think I would have prefered the in camera practical effects like in the 1982 The Thing much better.

Now for what it is hidden in the Spoiler tag above...
Spoiler

At any rate, I'd recommend this as a 'wait for it to come out on video'.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 10-14-2011 at 10:58 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #4665
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
50/50 (8/10) -- Was a little slow in parts and some scenes felt a bit forced but overall, I thought it was a really good movie in showing someone go through cancer but at the same time keep their humanity. Joseph Gordon-Levitt should get an Oscar nomination for it.

I liked that one too. As good an actor as Gordon-Levitt is, I think Seth Rogan made this work by keeping things from getting too serious/insufferable/pretentious. For some reason I think the emotions of fighting cancer came through more clearly because you could see it through the eyes of the crass and profane Rogan - that made it more real somehow. I'd agree with 8/10.

Also,

Moneyball, 7/10.

I would have enjoyed it more, of course, if they delved more into the operations of running a baseball team, and the philosophies employed by Beane and the A's,, but I understand they needed to go for mainstream consumption and I still enjoyed it. Still, it's not much of a narrative story - the big moment is the 20-game win streak, which really (as the movie even admitted in one line), is just a pretty random circumstance, and it doesn't even really do what the A's accomplished justice (and I don't even worship Beane as much as some). In the theater, I actually heard kind of a gasp/slight laughter when they lost to the Twins at the end. It was like, "really, all that, that whole story, and they still couldn't win in the playoffs?" Though, as a Sox fan, I enjoyed the use of 2004 world series win to "prove" the success of moneyball, and the depiction of John Henry was amusing.

Last edited by molson : 10-14-2011 at 11:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #4666
spleen1015
Coordinator

Real Steel 7/10

My kids took me to see this yesterday for my birthday. I thought it was pretty decent for what it was. For whatever reason, I liked the robot boxing sequences a lot. I want my own bowing robot.

Some of it was definitely over cheesy, but I expected that.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #4667
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would think a bowing robot would be kinda boring.

Now, a boxing robot on the otherhand...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #4668
fpres
High School JV

Paranormal Activity 3 (7/10) -- It seemed a little forced at times, but it still provided some chills and it did answer most of the questions I had from the first two films. If you've seen the first two PA movies, it's probably worth checking this one out.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #4669
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Melancholia - 8/10 - One of the coolest endings and most interesting premises I have seen.. Beautiful to look at, but the story itself sort of just meandered along building up to the finale. The kind of movie that makes you ask questions and think about what you just saw.

Red State - 7.5/10 - I really liked this one, even though its an action thriller by Kevin Smith which you might not think he can pull off.. But he does and the preacher character is one of the most memorable characters I have seen recently.

Crazy Stupid Love - 8/10 - Pretty solid comedy/drama. The interaction between Gosling and Carell is really good even if it is a bit reminiscent of 40 year old virgin. Also, a little screentime for Marisa Tomei is always a plus.

Drive - 10/10 - Outstanding. Gosling has become an actor I will be watching for in the future. This movie is so much better than the title might imply. Intense.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #4670
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Margin Call (2011) - 24 hours in the Wall Street Crisis. Really engrossing. Slow, but a good watch and a great cast.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #4672
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Lars and the Real Girl: 5/10

I don't like it when the description on a movie's DVD case makes the movie seem funnier than it is. The movie was fine, but I think I laughed out loud twice, and the description really billed it as a comedy. I mean, I got what they were going for, but it wasn't what I expected. This is one of those movies that I can say I've seen, but I doubt I'll ever want to watch it again.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #4673
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Woman - 8/10 - If you can make it through the first 20 minutes or so you will be rewarded with a pretty wild flick. It is pretty gory and pretty far fetched, but very unique. Kind of a horror/suspense mix.

A Perfect Host - 9/10 - Watching Niles Crane play a character like this was a treat. Its about a guy who commits a robbery and while on the run decides to go into a strangers house to hide. Turns out this stranger has some secrets that are a bit more than the thief bargained for. Great twist at the end.

FUCK EA
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #4675
moriarty
College Starter

Unknown (not the Liam Nielson one) - 8.5 / 10

Sometimes a movie really catches you by surprise. I knew nothing about this movie, but picked it up as a Netflix recommendation (yes, I didn't cancel despite the Qwikster debacle).

Here's what it says on the back of the envelope "Five men wake up in a locked-down warehouse with no memory of who they are. They are forced to figure out who is good and who is bad to stay alive."

Early on we learn that 3 men are kidnappers and 2 are kidnappees, but since no one has any memory ... no one knows whose side they are on. Adding to the suspense is the rest of the team is returning soon and will likely kill the kidnapees. Do they all work together to escape? Do they wait it out and take their chances? Whom do you trust?

The cast is surprisingly strong (why haven't I heard of this movie?):
Greg Kineear
Bridgette Moynahan
Joe Pantoliano
Barry Pepper ... and more.

Ultimately the 'reveal' comes a bit too early for my liking, and not sure how I feel about the end ... but I'm a sucker for these amnesia/suspense/whodunit type thrillers and you can definitely find worse ways to spend 90 minutes.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #4677
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Muppets - 9/10: Fan-freaking-tastic. Just excellent pacing and story with great songs. The camoes are great and a great trip down nostalgia boulevard. A lot of really, really clever jokes (which will likely go over younger kids heads). Jason Segel is really making a great name for himself as lead actor and writer.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #4678
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
J. Edgar - 9.9/10

Damn near perfect. If Leo doesn't win best leading actor they should stop giving out the awards.

I really need to get to the theater to watch this. I watched the trailers countless times and set out to watch it, but I got busy with moving and didn't get to. Though I confess that i often times too easily to not watch a movie due to certain reviewers opinions. I've seen more then a few reviewers say it was underwhelming. But, I am a huge Leo fan whom roots hard for him to finally get that fucking oscar. I should just go watch the damn movie already.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #4679
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Muppets - 9/10: Fan-freaking-tastic. Just excellent pacing and story with great songs. The camoes are great and a great trip down nostalgia boulevard. A lot of really, really clever jokes (which will likely go over younger kids heads). Jason Segel is really making a great name for himself as lead actor and writer.

I thought Segel was really good hosting SNL last week.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #4680
Autumn
Head Coach

We took the kids to The Muppets and all really enjoyed it. I actually thought the editing was a bit off -- the editing of the trailers was much better, the comedic pacing better, etc. But it was certainly a ton of fun, and an audience pleaser, people were clapping after the numbers. The jokes about us old fogies were funny.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #4681
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

RE: Muppets

I only had an issue with some of the songs. The rap was...stomach turning for me. I loved pretty much the rest of the movie.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #4682
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Machete:7/10.

Some of the scenes were pretty inspired. Of course it is way way over the top, but it works. Trejo is almost always good. Jessica Alba and Michelle Rodriguez were surprisingly tolerable. At times it swerves into heavy handed theoretical immigration debates. But it realizes that we really just want to see hilarious graphic violence. It's on Cinemax this month if you wanna check it out.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #4683
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Muppets - 9/10

Loved it. The rap was indeed stomach clenching, but it was short enough that I chuckled a little at the end of it. Cameos were great, pacing was great, story was great, music was great. Would watch it again.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-27-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #4684
samifan24
Pro Starter

Horrible Bosses- 8/10

To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this one but found it pretty funny. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Charlie Day was hilarious and made the movie for me. Jennifer Aniston was surprisingly good, too. This was the best "hard R" I've seen since The Hangover. Worth a Redbox rental at least.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #4685
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I really need to get to the theater to watch this. I watched the trailers countless times and set out to watch it, but I got busy with moving and didn't get to. Though I confess that i often times too easily to not watch a movie due to certain reviewers opinions. I've seen more then a few reviewers say it was underwhelming. But, I am a huge Leo fan whom roots hard for him to finally get that fucking oscar. I should just go watch the damn movie already.

The two big critiques I've heard are: bad makeup, and lack of a coherent story. I didn't have any problem with either one. Was the makeup bad? I don't even really know. I guess we're pretty spoiled by special effects and maybe it wasn't 100% realistic, but whatever, it's fine a production that in a lot of ways, would work as a play. As for the lack of a coherent story, that's probably true, but it's something different - a sweeping biography. It doesn't have one specific connecting theme really, but so what, neither did the John Adams HBO mini-series. It's that kind of biography, which aims to give you a ton of information about the guy's life, from which you can find your own narratives.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #4686
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
J
The Muppets 10/10

Movie of the year. It hits every mark perfectly, the cameos are phenomenal, the storyline is brilliant, and the acting/dancing/music is fabulous. That might the most fun I've had in a theater in my life. People actually started swaying to the music for one song.

Mah Na Mah Na...
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #4687
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Muppets - 9/10

My wife and I saw it on Monday. And, for some background- I wasn't a huge fan growing up but was familiar with them.

You know what- I'll start with the bad. As someone said above (Autumn, I think), the editing needed help as it ran a bit uneven - there was no need to go back to Smalltown and, in general, some of the emotional moments towards the end were not nearly as clean as in the first half. Also, the music was a disappointment, I thought. The musical scenes were well executed but the new songs themselves were positively mediocre and the rap was just bad (mostly tongue in cheek, I know). And some of the cameos were just random. If the editing was better, this is a 10 without question.

Everything else, the movie did really well. It's ridiculously emotionally manipulative- like Toy Story 3 level- and in a good way. It's a heartfelt movie made for our "modern" time. I mean, really- imagine trying to pitch this to a modern movie exec: "So, an evil oil baron wants to destroy a puppet theater and the only thing they can do to save it is to pull together and put on a telethon. There is no foul language and just good clean fun but parents and kids will both like it." What decade do you picture that being from? That's the 80s, not now, and it's good to see some of that make a comeback (I'd argue the most recent Rocky had more heart than a movie from the 2000s should, too).

Segel and Adams play very well with the Muppets- mostly one dimensional characters but the idea was to have the Muppets steal the show and it worked great. It's a cliche story- everyone's fallen on hard times and there's some guilt and everyone needs to be gathered back together for a comeback- but it /is/ the Muppets story and fits them perfectly. Some of the gags were awesome (travel by map, the montage and Ralph's story, etc) and most were at least a little funny. They get huge kudos for pulling off quality humor all while never once venturing into the crude and dirty jokes that seems to pass for humor now, even with younger audiences. Even the maligned fart shoes worked: the first joke "hey look, fart shoes" was a throwaway gag but it was seamlessly woven into the movie later on "not now, Fozzie", which was one of the funnier lines. And there was a decent amount of humor for the parents that wasn't spoon fed to kids- I really miss smart humor where you have to be paying attention.

So, in short- it was warm and touching but also smart and funny without being crude with only some mediocre editing. The world needs more movies like this.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-02-2011 at 12:24 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #4688
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The rap was...stomach turning for me.

Learned something that kind of smoothed over some things.

Spoiler
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #4689
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I thought Segel was really good hosting SNL last week.

Andre the Giant ordering ice cream.

Tabloid: 8/10 - A documentary about a girl who meets a mormon guy and follows him to England that takes some interesting and awesome turns along the way. It focuses a lot on how the tabloids reacted to her story. Shes like the female Forrest Gump in some ways. Really interesting stuff.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - 7/10 - Went into this expecting to really really like it, but the ending made me mad as hell. It builds and builds and builds and there is no payoff at all, but the acting was outstanding.

50/50 - 9/10 - Loved this film all the way through. Funny, serious when it needs to be, and sweet as well. An amazingly pulled off cancer-comedy feel good film that will make you want to hug your lady and thank your friends for being friends.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 12-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #4690
Atocep
Coordinator

Arthur Christmas - 8/10

Surprisingly a very good movie. At no point did I find myself thinking the movie was dragging on too long, which is rare for me when the boy picks a movie to go see. Just an all around solid holiday film that's very clever at times.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #4691
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

War Horse. I have seen some mixed/negative reviews on this and to be honest, I can see why. It doesn't take a risk and it's so scripted you virtually see every move coming a million miles away. Everything fits so darn nearly perfectly together I'm actually kind of surprised one minor plot line isn't tied into the end in a way for the complete super mega happy ending. Oh, it's beautiful as hell and the production of it is top notch as Spielberg is doing his best to make it as Oscar friendly as he knows how. Too bad it's completely forgettable. Highlights include the personalty of the horses. No really, they outdo any human actor and one scene between two soldiers and War Horse.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #4692
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 7/10

I literally finished reading the book last week, and was looking forward to the film. I think they did a pretty good job of adapting it from the book, although there were a couple changes I didn't understand the necessity for. It starts pretty slow, though that should be expected with this sort of film. They do a good job in the middle of the movie building tension and getting you invested. Where they really killed it, though, was the big reveal at the end. It came across...flat. You're building the suspense up for the entire movie, and the payoff is severely lacking.

Spoiler tags for those who have read the book:
Spoiler
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #4693
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Time for my annual movie catch-ups

Cars 2 (7/10) - Cars 1 is my favorite Pixar movie of all time. I thought Cars 2 was a lot of fun but pretty stupid (as in shallow story and lacking the charm of Cars 1). I love Mater but not in huge doses.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-30-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #4694
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Adventures of TinTin - 9/10: So much fun! A great Indy-esque story with great characters and voice acting and MY LORD, the animation. Everything just worked together and it included one of the greatest chase scenes I've ever seen, in any type of movie. Also was pretty funny.

Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows - 6/10: Great acting and casting, but just gets a bit dull and dragged out in the middle. The first was way better, but this is decent enough.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #4695
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Adventures of TinTin - 9/10: So much fun! A great Indy-esque story with great characters and voice acting and MY LORD, the animation. Everything just worked together and it included one of the greatest chase scenes I've ever seen, in any type of movie. Also was pretty funny.

Yes! Went and saw this today, absolutely fantastic.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #4696
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Time for my annual movie catch-ups

Cars 2 (7/10) - Cars 1 is my favorite Pixar movie of all time. I thought Cars 2 was a lot of fun but pretty stupid (as in shallow story and lacking the charm of Cars 1). I love Mater but not in huge doses.

Just saw this over the holidays, too. I think I'd rate it a 7, too- low for Pixar. But the first Cars movie is one of my lower rated Pixar movies, too- just a lack of depth all around. I was happy they didn't just sequel-ize this one and went in a different direction. But, it's still pretty shallow and I think the Cars movies hit at a slightly younger demographic that I'm a big fan of (I tend to like the age 8~10 stuff as opposed to the 5~7 this seems geared towards).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #4697
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Tree of Life

uh, what? 6/10 i guess. was pretty at least.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #4698
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Rare Exports - 9/10 - An excellent re-imagining of how Santa came to be and what he is, in a Finnish film.. Some sparse bits of comedy, strong thriller overtones, very original idea. Got a teeny bit cheesy at the end, but overall it was one of the more unique films I have seen recently. Leave it to the Finnish to produce a holiday film unlike any other.

FUCK EA
Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #4699
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Watched Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I'm not sure how I rated the first 3 but it would go something like this: 9.5/9/6. For fourth one, probably a 5.5 if it wasn't for Penelope Cruz, which brings it up to a 6.5. Seems bit of a boring movie with Depp et al simply going through the motions.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4700
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Thor (6/10) - A little too much CGI and I didn't like the "love" story, but overall it was a fun movie and had a good storyline to it. Just needed to spend less time on Earth.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote